The Trailer

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Core 4
Vice Admiral

Re: The Trailer

#76 Post by Core 4 »

It is definitely a Tanaka. The same sentence was in Tanaka's audition video on Vimeo.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by KENJI »

Core 4 wrote:It is definitely a Tanaka. The same sentence was in Tanaka's audition video on Vimeo.
Good to hear Core 4!
I wonder if he is a Tigers fan too.....hang onto your hat Jay! :wink:

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by Sam »

I think it's time for people to understand what it is.. and what it is it's not season 9 of MPI.. It is a reboot of the show name and the characters names.. it bears no resemblance to the original show.. Pete boy is trying to capitalize on a successful show based on name only..

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by Steve »

KENJI wrote:It will be interesting to see if the guy talking to Jay at the 1:42 mark will be Tanaka.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0idfAmSwns
That is what immediately popped into my head.....

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by perfectlykevin »

Sam wrote:I think it's time for people to understand what it is.. and what it is it's not season 9 of MPI.. It is a reboot of the show name and the characters names.. it bears no resemblance to the original show.. Pete boy is trying to capitalize on a successful show based on name only..

Agreed. What I've seen so far bears little resemblance to the original. How anyone could call himself a fan of the original and then put this out on an unsuspecting world is beyond me.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#81 Post by ConchRepublican »

For what it's worth, social media sites relating to Magnum or Selleck are overwhelmingly negative in response to the trailer.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Gamer77
Lieutenant

#82 Post by Gamer77 »

Bondtoys.de wrote:In contrary to many comments here, I applaud the way that they've done Higgins!

I love Higgins and I love the way how Hillerman played the role!

No contemporary actor could create something similar, we'd always be comparing him with Hillerman.
So instead of imitating the traditional Higgins, they went innovative and made something totally new.

I guess that we have to see some episodes of the reboot to get a certain idea and make a qualified judgement about the rebooted show.

In the old days, it took some time to evolve Higgins from some kid of sadistic despote to what he became later.
Respect your opinions but I disagree. There's nothing iinnovative about it. So many reboots do it. Whether it's turning Nick Fury from the Marvel Universe, Black, Turning Thor into a woman, Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica into a woman, and any other amount of colour or gender swaps, it's pandering done in order to gain a wider audience and it should stop. There's nothing stopping these studios and media companies from creating strong female characters out of the whole cloth without doing violence to existing canon. And colour shouldn't have to signify yet now, more than ever it does, which is mind boggling to me.

Make strong characters who are people first, not mission statements done for the sake of tokenism or virtue signalling. If they ring true with audiences - come across as genuine people rather than cardboard cutouts, then they'll quit seeing them as 'man -or- woman of colour' number one or two -put in place to move a narrative along, or to give check the 'tolerance box' on a titular character to give it a broader appeal, and instead take on a life of their own. Hollywoods doesn;t seem to get this and when it's obvious it's obvious. When it's bad, it's truly bad.

This was one of the endearing things about the original series so many things today seem to miss. T.C. was a character every bit as endearing as Magnum. And it had nothing to do with the colour of his skin. There were only two times in the original where colour was mentioned, The 'somewhere in time' episode where Magnum talks to T.C. about why he's only allowed to work on planes as opposed to flying them, and then in the 'Did You See the Sunrise,' arc where Ivan uses epithets to try and goad T.C. into breaking psychologically when he and the other PoWs are being tortured. Otherwise the show was content to allow you to see all the characters as people, flawed, but otherwise good people trying to do right.

Hollywood would rather change existing characters because deep down -down to the wallet- they're still negatively biased, and believe their audience to be just as biased. Biased to the point where they don't trust us to enjoy good writing for good writing's sake. It's why they're so averse to just making new characters. New anything. In the end they're trying to make money, not building rainbow bridges.

As for what any contemporary actor could or couldn't do -we're going to be comparing anyone- literally anyone they picked to John Hillerman, just as everyone is going to do for the other respective principals, regardless. But, for the sake of argument, let's tick off the list here-

British, former(probably still active) special service of some stripe, military veteran, Robin Master's majordomo, control freak, acerbic, dismissive, keeps and trains two dogs, is a thorn in magnum's side, is a, short, overweight, older male people have a tendency to underestimate. -and then-

British, former(probably still active) special service of some stripe, military veteran, Robin Master's majordomo, control freak, acerbic, dismissive, keeps and trains two dogs, is a thorn in magnum's side, is an older(only slightly older if at all) Blonde, athletic, tends to wear body hugging clothing-alpha female in the vein of every other alpha female in modern cinema.

How is this innovative? Thirty years ago, yes -perhaps. Today it's going by the numbers. It's part of the playbook for any director/screenwriter who wants to say they've added a new twist to an old character. Today it's an old twist.

As for Higgins evolving. No, not all that much. He softened slightly toward Magnum but these were matters of respect, of honour, and of basic humanity. At his core he never did change. He stayed true to himself just as Magnum did. He was still a despot. To the end he still often slipped, berated Agatha publicly when preparing for certain important functions, still berated Magnum publicly or was quick to dismiss him or his behaviour as stupidly adolescent. The key was that he was never, ever, so far gone as to never know when he'd crossed a line. He's come around, if grudgingly, and apologise.

As a father figure there was still a remove, still a distance between them. He wasn't there with being Magnum's best friend in mind. Nor to be some sort of enabler. But as with any proper father, was there for him -was the best sort of friend he could have- in the times where it counted due to a strong, core character.

Sorry for the novel/ranting but these are some of the things which truly irk me in modern television/cinema whenever I come across them and see them so perverted.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#83 Post by Pahonu »

Gamer77 wrote:
Bondtoys.de wrote:In contrary to many comments here, I applaud the way that they've done Higgins!

No contemporary actor could create something similar, we'd always be comparing him with Hillerman.
So instead of imitating the traditional Higgins, they went innovative and made something totally new.

I guess that we have to see some episodes of the reboot to get a certain idea and make a qualified judgement about the rebooted show.

In the old days, it took some time to evolve Higgins from some kid of sadistic despote to what he became later.
Respect your opinions but I disagree. There's nothing iinnovative about it. So many reboots do it. Whether it's turning Nick Fury from the Marvel Universe, Black, Turning Thor into a woman, Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica into a woman, and any other amount of colour or gender swaps, it's pandering done in order to gain a wider audience and it should stop. There's nothing stopping these studios and media companies from creating strong female characters out of the whole cloth without doing violence to existing canon. And colour shouldn't have to signify yet now, more than ever it does, which is mind boggling to me.

Make strong characters who are people first, not mission statements done for the sake of tokenism or virtue signalling. If they ring true with audiences - come across as genuine people rather than cardboard cutouts, then they'll quit seeing them as 'man -or- woman of colour' number one or two -put in place to move a narrative along, or to give check the 'tolerance box' on a titular character to give it a broader appeal, and instead take on a life of their own. Hollywoods doesn;t seem to get this and when it's obvious it's obvious. When it's bad, it's truly bad.

This was one of the endearing things about the original series so many things today seem to miss. T.C. was a character every bit as endearing as Magnum. And it had nothing to do with the colour of his skin. There were only two times in the original where colour was mentioned, The 'somewhere in time' episode where Magnum talks to T.C. about why he's only allowed to work on planes as opposed to flying them, and then in the 'Did You See the Sunrise,' arc where Ivan uses epithets to try and goad T.C. into breaking psychologically when he and the other PoWs are being tortured. Otherwise the show was content to allow you to see all the characters as people, flawed, but otherwise good people trying to do right.

Hollywood would rather change existing characters because deep down -down to the wallet- they're still negatively biased, and believe their audience to be just as biased. Biased to the point where they don't trust us to enjoy good writing for good writing's sake. It's why they're so averse to just making new characters. New anything. In the end they're trying to make money, not building rainbow bridges.

As for what any contemporary actor could or couldn't do -we're going to be comparing anyone- literally anyone they picked to John Hillerman, just as everyone is going to do for the other respective principals, regardless. But, for the sake of argument, let's tick off the list here-

British, former(probably still active) special service of some stripe, military veteran, Robin Master's majordomo, control freak, acerbic, dismissive, keeps and trains two dogs, is a thorn in magnum's side, is a, short, overweight, older male people have a tendency to underestimate. -and then-

British, former(probably still active) special service of some stripe, military veteran, Robin Master's majordomo, control freak, acerbic, dismissive, keeps and trains two dogs, is a thorn in magnum's side, is an older(only slightly older if at all) Blonde, athletic, tends to wear body hugging clothing-alpha female in the vein of every other alpha female in modern cinema.

How is this innovative? Thirty years ago, yes -perhaps. Today it's going by the numbers. It's part of the playbook for any director/screenwriter who wants to say they've added a new twist to an old character. Today it's an old twist.

As for Higgins evolving. No, not all that much. He softened slightly toward Magnum but these were matters of respect, of honour, and of basic humanity. At his core he never did change. He stayed true to himself just as Magnum did. He was still a despot. To the end he still often slipped, berated Agatha publicly when preparing for certain important functions, still berated Magnum publicly or was quick to dismiss him or his behaviour as stupidly adolescent. The key was that he was never, ever, so far gone as to never know when he'd crossed a line. He's come around, if grudgingly, and apologise.

As a father figure there was still a remove, still a distance between them. He wasn't there with being Magnum's best friend in mind. Nor to be some sort of enabler. But as with any proper father, was there for him -was the best sort of friend he could have- in the times where it counted due to a strong, core character.

Sorry for the novel/ranting but these are some of the things which truly irk me in modern television/cinema whenever I come across them and see them so perverted.

I have yet to weigh in on the reboot, but I'm sorry, "violence to existing canon" and "modern television/cinema... so perverted" seems more than a little reactionary. I enjoyed the show in its initial run in the 80's and continue to enjoy it today. I have serious doubts I will like the new product. I will, however, as Bondtoys.de stated, give it a chance before I "make a qualified judgement about the rebooted show". Bottom line, this is entertainment, nothing more.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by perfectlykevin »

Anyone else having difficulty seeing the trailer. Went back to watch it and it is an "error." Oddly, it is across all sights I'm trying to view it.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

perfectlykevin wrote:Anyone else having difficulty seeing the trailer. Went back to watch it and it is an "error." Oddly, it is across all sights I'm trying to view it.
Conch?....... Conch?!?!....... WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE INTERNET?!?!

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by perfectlykevin »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
perfectlykevin wrote:Anyone else having difficulty seeing the trailer. Went back to watch it and it is an "error." Oddly, it is across all sights I'm trying to view it.

LMAO!!! Might be my computer, but a part of me was hoping the CBS execs realized what an awful thing they'd done and tried to redo it before launch. One can hope :)

jeffran
Captain

#87 Post by jeffran »

When the trailer began - with our protagonist in a spacesuit - I thought I was watching an ad placed before the trailer. Then I realized: "Oh, no, this is Magnum." That set the tone.

I do hope that, as others have said, this scene (and the scene at the end) is an exaggeration by Magnum, or a post hoc adaptation of a Magnum adventure by Robin Masters.

I'm mostly OK with the cast: I like Rick - he has the right look. Even the way he says "Thomas" for some reason sounds right. Higgins is too young, but they could make it work with her in a real major domo role, but I don't think they'll try. Now, she's just a friend and possible love interest - this is a problem. Make her a hard-ass. Really, it could work and she'd be much more interesting.

Of course, they're all perfect friends (as, I believe, Conch said - nothing earned). Remember, in the original series, when they'd have real, serious conflicts, even getting in fist fights? I doubt we'll ever see that.

I'll watch the first episode, or two, at least. But I predict this will be interchangeable with every other CBS crime/adventure show: generic, flashy, and empty.

Who is this for? Who's going to watch this? If it's completely different, and for people that didn't see the original, why call it Magnum PI?

ConchRepublican

#88 Post by ConchRepublican »

Gamer77 wrote:

youtu.be/barWV7RWkq0
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#89 Post by ConchRepublican »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:

Time has little to do with infinity, and jelly donuts.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by Kevster »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:

Time has little to do with infinity, and jelly donuts.
Or in my case, Xfinity and Fresh-Made Cider Doughnuts. ;-)

I had streaming problems with all things YouTube this morning, as well as some searches via Google, so the streaming issues might be tied to that. Just because platforms are supposed to be "different," it may be different nameplates on the same old Chevy...

But I think blaming Conch might be well-advised anyway. The Sunday morning after streaming a Buffett concert may require more than one Bloody Mary, after all...
Trust Me!!!