Season 1 Episode 1: I Saw the Sun Rise - Pilot (1.1)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
2%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
7%
7.5 (Decent)
7%
7.0 (Average at Best)
16%
6.5 (Not So Good)
9%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
27%
5.0 (Just Awful)
16%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
18%

Total votes: 45

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 1: I Saw the Sun Rise - Pilot (1.1)

#61 Post by K Hale »

T.Q. wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I have another question, too.... shouldn't he have a scar?

Whodathunk the ladies prefer hairless hunks these days too. :wink:

There is a happy medium between the two. That's all I'm gonna say. 8)
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by MagnumILWU »

I'm surprised you guys aren't whining about him using a cell phone, because Magnum didn't use one in the 80's show! It's a new show, they are not trying to be the 80's Magnum! I get it, either you like it or not! But the comments about what they do now, that they didn't do in the 80's makes no sense! They have the names, locals, and general theme of the original, but they are not the same characters, and they are not trying to be! Why did he do that? Why did they do this? Because it's a new show, not the old one, and that's the way they do it in the new show! It was more fun to watch than a lot shows now, and I have no problem separating the two!
"pickled egg please"

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by T.Q. »

In case any wondering. Have afternoon off and rewatching.

Another change from the trailer.

I believe the trailer said “Rick, T.C. and Higgins. Friends like those come around once in a lifetime”.

I seem to recall discussion that they were ruining the confrontational aspect of the relationship making Magnum and Higgins besties.

Anyways... They changed it. Took out Higgins.

Show said “Rick, T.C. and the man we’re burying today”.

Maybe they DO read Magnum Mania. :D
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by K Hale »

MagnumILWU wrote:I'm surprised you guys aren't whining about him using a cell phone, because Magnum didn't use one in the 80's show! It's a new show, they are not trying to be the 80's Magnum! I get it, either you like it or not! But the comments about what they do now, that they didn't do in the 80's makes no sense! They have the names, locals, and general theme of the original, but they are not the same characters, and they are not trying to be! Why did he do that? Why did they do this? Because it's a new show, not the old one, and that's the way they do it in the new show! It was more fun to watch than a lot shows now, and I have no problem separating the two!
That's just it. It is a new show, yet they are using all the character names from the original show. If they didn't want the two to be compared, they should have just made the same show they made anyway but used new names for the characters. Instead they have tried to have their cake and eat it too, and the fallout is predictably negative.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by T.Q. »

MagnumILWU wrote:I'm surprised you guys aren't whining about him using a cell phone, because Magnum didn't use one in the 80's show! It's a new show, they are not trying to be the 80's Magnum! I get it, either you like it or not! But the comments about what they do now, that they didn't do in the 80's makes no sense! They have the names, locals, and general theme of the original, but they are not the same characters, and they are not trying to be! Why did he do that? Why did they do this? Because it's a new show, not the old one, and that's the way they do it in the new show! It was more fun to watch than a lot shows now, and I have no problem separating the two!
That’s awesome you love the new Magmun.

Those of us who don’t aren't allowed to gripe though?

Or do we all have to come aboard?

They’ve ripped virtually every concept from our favourite show. So I think we’re allowed to criticize.

:wink:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by MagnumILWU »

Well, you are all in luck then! They are repeating it Saturday night, the 29th, at 8 pm Eastern and Pacific! Maybe you could have a hot dog or popcorn with your whine! :wink:
Last edited by MagnumILWU on Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"pickled egg please"

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by MagnumILWU »

T.Q. wrote:

They’ve ripped virtually every concept from our favourite show. So I think we’re allowed to criticize.

No it's just how everyone tries to compare, the new to the old, it makes no sense! They are two different things! They are not trying to be the old show! I understand not liking it! But I believe many of you don't like it because, they dared to make a new Magnum! As I said in another post, Tom Selleck is Magnum, but it doesn't mean I can't enjoy the new show, or give my opinion on it, and other things!(and c'mon, that cell phone line is funny!)
"pickled egg please"

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by T.Q. »

MagnumILWU wrote:Well, you are all in luck then! They are repeating it Saturday night, the 29th, at 8 pm Eastern and Pacific! Maybe you could have a hot dog or popcorn with your whine!
I’m confused why you’re so upset and confrontational?

Don’t know what you expected from lifelong Magnum fans.

Love it or shut it? Not very realistic.

And you just said ‘doesnt mean [you] can’t give your opinion on it’. Who said you can’t?

You’re the one getting upset at our opinions.

Cheers.

jeffran
Captain

#69 Post by jeffran »

MagnumILWU wrote:
T.Q. wrote:

No it's just how everyone tries to compare, the new to the old, it makes no sense! They are two different things! They are not trying to be the old show! I understand not liking it! But I believe many of you don't like it because, they dared to make a new Magnum! As I said in another post, Tom Selleck is Magnum, but it doesn't mean I can't enjoy the new show, or give my opinion on it, and other things!(and c'mon, that cell phone line is funny!)
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't like it because it's shallow, lazy, and pointless. I'm totally for new Magnum, but one focused on good storytelling, characterization, and camaraderie.

Comparison is inevitable, because it's called Magnum, PI. It makes perfect sense in my mind.

Edit - Oh, and I'm glad you like the show, and I welcome your opinion on it! As does everyone else, from my experience.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

But I believe many of you don't like it because, they dared to make a new Magnum!
I completely and unequivocally admit that I don't like it because they dared to make a new Magnum!!! :D To be honest, I didn't even watch it so I can't compare. I hate that people in the real wold are going to ask me about the new one because they know I am a fan of the original. And I really hate when I wear my red jungle bird shirt strangers are going to think I'm a fan of the new shitty version!!

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by MagnumILWU »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
But I believe many of you don't like it because, they dared to make a new Magnum!
I completely and unequivocally admit that I don't like it because they dared to make a new Magnum!!! :D To be honest, I didn't even watch it so I can't compare. I hate that people in the real wold are going to ask me about the new one because they know I am a fan of the original. And I really hate when I wear my red jungle bird shirt strangers are going to think I'm a fan of the new shitty version!!
That is why it can never be compared to the original, there is no comparison! There are no actors, stories, locations, etc., that could ever replace the original show! Nothing could ever compare to our Magnum, P.I.! Even a series or movie with the original actors would have been a mistake! You can't recreate the magic of the original series! I watched it out of curiosity, and I didn't think it was all that bad! It actually brought back many great memories of the original! I don't expect anybody to watch something they don't want to. I just gave it a shot, and compared to many other shows on TV now, I didn't mind it at all!
"pickled egg please"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

T.Q. wrote:
Whodathunk the ladies prefer hairless hunks these days too. :wink:

Speaking of chest hair (and to add a bit of levity :higgins: to the reboot stuff), I saw this pic earlier this month when Burt Reynolds passed away.

Boy, Cynthia Sikes must've had one terrific agent. :shock:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MagnumILWU wrote:
MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
That is why it can never be compared to the original, there is no comparison! There are no actors, stories, locations, etc., that could ever replace the original show! Nothing could ever compare to our Magnum, P.I.! Even a series or movie with the original actors would have been a mistake! You can't recreate the magic of the original series! I watched it out of curiosity, and I didn't think it was all that bad! It actually brought back many great memories of the original! I don't expect anybody to watch something they don't want to. I just gave it a shot, and compared to many other shows on TV now, I didn't mind it at all!
Hi MagnumILWU,
I just have to ask you, what does the ILWU mean in your monicker? Every time I see it I try to guess what it means.
Just an observation but some updates of original series have been pretty good, only one perhaps that was just as good as the original series,
that being Maverick in my humble opinion.
The Mel Gibson movie version of Maverick was excellent, though as a old Maverick fan I spotted the plot twist of James Garner's sheriff
character(being Maverick senior) coming from a mile away. And James Garner's updated color version, the one season Bret Maverick, was quite
good but TV Westerns were passe by then.
The Rockford Files, Perry Mason, Gunsmoke and Wild Wild West TV movies were decent.
However, the half hour pilot Dobie Gillis remake and the TV film "Bring Me The Head of Dobie Gillis" are considered disasters, though me and
my uncle Luther Gillis quite like them.
In fact Luther, his partner Chuckie, aunt Blanche and Artie Canoe are coming over later with a case of Old Dusseldorf, we
will pop the DVD of "Bring Me The Head of Dobie Gillis" into the player and make a night of it.
Dobie
"That's Dobie with a 'B', not a 'P' "...Dwayne Hickman

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by MagnumILWU »

Hi MagnumILWU,
I just have to ask you, what does the ILWU mean in your monicker? Every time I see it I try to guess what it means.
Just an observation but some updates of original series have been pretty good, only one perhaps that was just as good as the original series,
that being Maverick in my humble opinion.
The Mel Gibson movie version of Maverick was excellent, though as a old Maverick fan I spotted the plot twist of James Garner's sheriff
character(being Maverick senior) coming from a mile away. And James Garner's updated color version, the one season Bret Maverick, was quite
good but TV Westerns were passe by then.
The Rockford Files, Perry Mason, Gunsmoke and Wild Wild West TV movies were decent.
However, the half hour pilot Dobie Gillis remake and the TV film "Bring Me The Head of Dobie Gillis" are considered disasters, though me and
my uncle Luther Gillis quite like them.
In fact Luther, his partner Chuckie, aunt Blanche and Artie Canoe are coming over later with a case of Old Dusseldorf, we
will pop the DVD of "Bring Me The Head of Dobie Gillis" into the player and make a night of it.
Dobie
"That's Dobie with a 'B', not a 'P' "...Dwayne Hickman[/quote]
I Love Women's Underwear! Just kidding! Women used to laugh when we used that answer, not sure how they would take it today? International Longshoremen's and Warehousemen's Union. Longshoremen working the west coast(on the east coast, it's the ILA) and in Hawaii, as seen in a couple of Magnum, P.I. episodes! They recently did a Psych TV movie, with most or all of the original characters, but it couldn't caoture what the TV show was. In the 90's they did four Spenser: For Hire TV movies. First two were good, film in Boston and Mass! Second two they got cheap, and film in Canada! But Avery Brooks was Hawk in all of them, so that helped a lot! Harry Carey Jr, Pa Traven in The Shadow Riders, nickname was Dobie, for the color of his hair!
"pickled egg please"

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by MaximRecoil »

MagnumILWU wrote:I'm surprised you guys aren't whining about him using a cell phone, because Magnum didn't use one in the 80's show! It's a new show, they are not trying to be the 80's Magnum!
Why is it called "Magnum P.I.", then?
I get it, either you like it or not! But the comments about what they do now, that they didn't do in the 80's makes no sense! They have the names, locals, and general theme of the original, but they are not the same characters, and they are not trying to be!
Why do they have the same names as those established characters, then?
MagnumILWU wrote:No it's just how everyone tries to compare, the new to the old, it makes no sense! They are two different things! They are not trying to be the old show!
Why is it called "Magnum P.I.", then?