Season 1 Episode 20: The Day It All Came Together (1.20)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
17%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
No votes
7.5 (Decent)
17%
7.0 (Average at Best)
17%
6.5 (Not So Good)
17%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
No votes
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
33%

Total votes: 12

Steve
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 20: The Day It All Came Together (1.20)

#46 Post by Steve »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:What kind of lame titles are these anyway? The Day It All Came Together??? :roll: Nothing more creative than that? What's next? The Day That a Bunch of Stuff Happened??? The Day That Some More Stuff Went Down??? The Day It Was All Sorta Alright???
I am always reminded of the original classic HAWAII FIVE-O. Now there was a show that really knew how to pique your interests with its very clever and creative titles!!! I don't know another show that had more creative titles than classic FIVE-O did. That's why it remains my all-time favorite TV show!
Hi Ivan,
I too enjoyed the episode titles from Hawaii 5-0. However the King of stylish episode titles has to be Stirling Silliphant, the Oscar winning writer who
helmed both Naked City and Route 66.
Here's some from Naked City:

1) Robin Hood and Clarence Darrow, They Went Out With The Bow and Arrow
2) A Horse Has a Big Head--Let Him Worry!
3) Today The Man Who Kills Ants Is Coming.

On Route 66 most of the titles had literary allusions:

1) A Cage in Search of a Bird (Title is from Kafka's The Zurau of Aphorisms)
2) Across Walnuts & Wine.(Title is from Tennyson's "The Miller's Daughter")
3) Shall Forfeit His Dog & 10 Shillings to the King (Title is from King Canute's Law 31,
Canute being a Viking invader who carved out a realm in England and whose Laws were an important benchmark:

“No meane person may keep any Greihounds, but freemen may keep Greihounds, so that their knees may be cut before the verderons of the forest, and without cutting of their knees also, if he does not abide 10 miles from the bounds of the forest. But if they doe come any nearer to the forest, they shall pay 12 pence for every mile; but the Greihound be found within the forest, the master or owner of the dog shall forfeit the dog and ten shillings to the king.”

That Silliphant expected anyone besides some Oxford Don to 'get' the title, which explained many metaphors in the episode, so tickled
the writers of the Dick Van Dyke Show that they did a send up of him with a very funny episode titled

"The Sound of the Trumpets of Conscience Falls Deafly on a Brain That Holds Its Ears..."

---------------------------------------------------------------
Buz(George Maharis): "When you chase yourself from one day to the next;
when your both the Pied Piper and the kid that digs the music;
the kid that follows all those way out notes; you go where it takes you.
No matter where. No matter what. Like now."
Route 66 "You Never Had It So Good"
I am so glad someone else recognizes the absolute genius of Stirling Silliphant..I also love that Carl Reiner did a tribute to the man with the hilarious title of that episode of Dick Van Dyke. If anyone cares to see examples of how not to use metaphors in modern day watch the Showtime series Billions. I love the show but the constant use of pop culture and classic rock metaphors grows tiresome.....On the other hand, the incredible HBO series Deadwood got it right, especially in the titles....

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Steve wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:What kind of lame titles are these anyway? The Day It All Came Together??? :roll: Nothing more creative than that? What's next? The Day That a Bunch of Stuff Happened??? The Day That Some More Stuff Went Down??? The Day It Was All Sorta Alright???
I am always reminded of the original classic HAWAII FIVE-O. Now there was a show that really knew how to pique your interests with its very clever and creative titles!!! I don't know another show that had more creative titles than classic FIVE-O did. That's why it remains my all-time favorite TV show!
Hi Ivan,
I too enjoyed the episode titles from Hawaii 5-0. However the King of stylish episode titles has to be Stirling Silliphant, the Oscar winning writer who

3) Shall Forfeit His Dog & 10 Shillings to the King (Title is from King Canute's Law 31,
Canute being a Viking invader who carved out a realm in England and whose Laws were an important benchmark:

“No meane person may keep any Greihounds, but freemen may keep Greihounds, so that their knees may be cut before the verderons of the forest, and without cutting of their knees also, if he does not abide 10 miles from the bounds of the forest. But if they doe come any nearer to the forest, they shall pay 12 pence for every mile; but the Greihound be found within the forest, the master or owner of the dog shall forfeit the dog and ten shillings to the king.”

That Silliphant expected anyone besides some Oxford Don to 'get' the title, which explained many metaphors in the episode, so tickled
the writers of the Dick Van Dyke Show that they did a send up of him with a very funny episode titled

"The Sound of the Trumpets of Conscience Falls Deafly on a Brain That Holds Its Ears..."

I am so glad someone else recognizes the absolute genius of Stirling Silliphant..I also love that Carl Reiner did a tribute to the man with the hilarious title of that episode of Dick Van Dyke. If anyone cares to see examples of how not to use metaphors in modern day watch the Showtime series Billions. I love the show but the constant use of pop culture and classic rock metaphors grows tiresome.....On the other hand, the incredible HBO series Deadwood got it right, especially in the titles....
Hi Steve,
I agree Silliphant was a genius, his work makes a lot of drama series look like kid's stuff, the Magnum reboot isn't even in the same universe as Route 66.
The Van Dyke episode was a take off on the cop series Naked City, taking place mostly in a NYC station house, easier done than putting Laura/Rob on the road in
a corvette as in Route 66. No room either for Little Richie in the 'Vette.
You like Deadwood too? Evidently Magnum Mania attracts nothing but the best. I understand next month the Deadwood movie is coming out. Now if only
Spielberg would do a Hawaii 5-0 movie with Harrison Ford as McGarret or a Magnum movie with the original crew investigating Higgins death, as Mister Hillerman
has passed on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Yale man Tod gives his blue collar buddy Buz tips on asking out a English Lit co-ed:
Tod: Tell her your a Existentialist.
Buz: That's a tip?
Tod:  Well that's very stylish she'll love it.
Buz: Well supposing she asks me what it is?
Tod: Tell her you don't talk about it, you live it. Then give her a little Rimbaud.
"One Tiger To A Hill" (Route 66)

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by perfectlykevin »

Just watched the episode. Spotted a flub. Old Team Ring used in TC's chopper and a bit later the newer Team Ring used. I've also noticed that whomever they have as the TM handmodel uses a newer Rolex GMT (clasp is different) than the older model.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Hi Ivan,

I agree. Those are indeed clever titles!

Here are just a handful of the many wonderful FIVE-O titles, just off the top of my head:

You Don't Have to Kill to Get Rich But It Helps
While You're At It Bring in the Moon
Bomb, Bomb, Who's Got the Bomb?
For a Million... Why Not?
3,000 Crooked Miles to Honolulu
30,000 Rooms and I Have the Key
I'm a Family Crook -- Don't Shoot!
Rest in Peace, Somebody
Murder is a Taxing Affair
Death is a Company Policy
No Bottles... No Cans... No People
... And I Want Some Candy and a Gun That Shoots
Yesterday Died and Tomorrow Won't Be Born
Didn't We Meet at a Murder?
The Skyline Killer
Retire... In Sunny Hawaii... Forever

Not only were the titles clever but they also made sense within the context of the story. In "Murder is a Taxing Affair" not only is murder itself taxing on your conscience but the killer happens to be an IRS agent.

Morganwerk
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#50 Post by Morganwerk »

I try not to compare the old and new too deeply, but I had to chuckle during the gunfight at the end. What’s going on with new Rick? He had a handgun. Old Rick always packed the baddest firepower. 8)

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Chris109 »

Morganwerk wrote:I try not to compare the old and new too deeply, but I had to chuckle during the gunfight at the end. What’s going on with new Rick? He had a handgun. Old Rick always packed the baddest firepower. 8)
You mean the baddest 'illegal' firepower. And the kind of power that he can jump thru a window and not get a scratch.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#52 Post by ConchRepublican »

Chris109 wrote:
Morganwerk wrote:I try not to compare the old and new too deeply, but I had to chuckle during the gunfight at the end. What’s going on with new Rick? He had a handgun. Old Rick always packed the baddest firepower. 8)
You mean the baddest 'illegal' firepower. And the kind of power that he can jump thru a window and not get a scratch.
And one of the few people that can make an Uzi look large!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Laohu »

Did anyone notice that Michael De Ycaza played Hannah's CIA Father; (he portrayed as Bartender at the Beach Bar from Original Series) . I guess not a big deal but I like that Lenkov is hiring actors from the original series . A tip of my Detroit Tigers hat to him .

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Steve »

Laohu wrote:Did anyone notice that Michael De Ycaza played Hannah's CIA Father; (he portrayed as Bartender at the Beach Bar from Original Series) . I guess not a big deal but I like that Lenkov is hiring actors from the original series . A tip of my Detroit Tigers hat to him .

Good catch! I looked him up and he appeared in Faith and Begorrah so I am thinking the Beach Bar was the bar on the roof of the Low Surf Hotel that Donald P. Bellisario appeared as the desk clerk. He is very distinguished looking so I am thinking he and Hannah will be back in the future....

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Chris109 »

Steve wrote:Good catch! I looked him up and he appeared in Faith and Begorrah so I am thinking the Beach Bar was the bar on the roof of the Low Surf Hotel that Donald P. Bellisario appeared as the desk clerk. He is very distinguished looking so I am thinking he and Hannah will be back in the future....

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by eagle »

Steve wrote:Good catch! I looked him up and he appeared in Faith and Begorrah so I am thinking the Beach Bar was the bar on the roof of the Low Surf Hotel that Donald P. Bellisario appeared as the desk clerk. He is very distinguished looking so I am thinking he and Hannah will be back in the future...
That's one of my favorite episodes, and I saw it just the other day. Then it was followed by Home From The Sea, which I also enjoy but which is very stressful to me -- and sad.

I'll have to go back and see if I can see him in reboot ep s1e20.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by 308GUY »

Chris109 wrote:
Steve wrote:Good catch! I looked him up and he appeared in Faith and Begorrah so I am thinking the Beach Bar was the bar on the roof of the Low Surf Hotel that Donald P. Bellisario appeared as the desk clerk. He is very distinguished looking so I am thinking he and Hannah will be back in the future....

ROTHFLMFAO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's "just great"! :magnum:

Made my Monday start out much better than it would have otherwise....thanks guy! :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Steve »

I'm thinking that gorgeous Beach Bar high atop the luxurious Low Surf Hotel may have been the inspiration for our own Conch (Peter) to build the infamous Tiki Bar in the back yard of his house in the go to paradise location of Queens, New York, USA 8)

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#59 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote:I'm thinking that gorgeous Beach Bar high atop the luxurious Low Surf Hotel may have been the inspiration for our own Conch (Peter) to build the infamous Tiki Bar in the back yard of his house in the go to paradise location of Queens, New York, USA 8)
:shock:

Are you comparing The Key to the Low Surf Hotel Beach Bar?!?!?!

Next thing you'll be comparing the novels to the memoirs!!!! :higgins:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Steve »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Steve wrote:I'm thinking that gorgeous Beach Bar high atop the luxurious Low Surf Hotel may have been the inspiration for our own Conch (Peter) to build the infamous Tiki Bar in the back yard of his house in the go to paradise location of Queens, New York, USA 8)
:shock:

Are you comparing The Key to the Low Surf Hotel Beach Bar?!?!?!

Next thing you'll be comparing the novels to the memoirs!!!! :higgins:

Not comparing to, as The Tiki Bar is a tremendous upgrade, it's kind of exciting... very imaginative, very professional. The Beach Bar however, is like a cheap and tawdry paperback and may just have been planned out on the same drafting board.... :wink: (still dying to see it in person some day and share some frozen concoctions) 8)