For all the haters of the new show

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: For all the haters of the new show

#31 Post by 308GUY »

Chris109 wrote:Image
Those are funny...and I wish I had the time to figure out how to do the little vids like that! :lol:

Kind of looks like a lot of people's reaction to Trump beating Hillary! LOL.....they don't want to hear it...just can't accept it....don't want it to be true...yet.....there it is... :magnum: :lol: 8)
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Chris109 »

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#33 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote:
K Hale wrote:
If they didn’t want the two compared, they shouldn’t have reused all the character names and settings. Can’t have that reboot cake and eat the original too.

Show can run 1 season or 100 seasons for all I care. Won’t change what I think.
I’m with ya.

It’s like they’re rubbing it in our faces even though it has no barring whatsoever to my life if this crappy show continues.
I saw the original post a few days ago and was trying to come up with a suitable response.

As usual T.Q. and K. Hale nailed it.

There will ALWAYS be comparisons to Magnum, P.I. because they decided to use that name for no other reason than recognition and simplicities sake. Nothing "new" needed to be created, it's always easier to riff off someone else's creation (yeah I like the idea, but here's how to do it better) than create something original of your own.

One cannot come to a board that was created in 2006 and not expect people to complain/have issues with the reboot. Magnum-Maniacs are those who joined this site to talk about, reminisce and hope for a movie, TV movie or some sort of revival based around the characters portrayed by Tom Selleck, John Hillerman, Roger Mosley and Larry Manetti. Recasting fantasies aside, I never saw a thread or idea gain traction about a new series with new actors playing the same roles that wasn't maybe a prequel.

Is it beating a dead horse sometimes? Sure. But since the horse ain't dead yet, I expect the beatings will continue.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote:
T.Q. wrote:
K Hale wrote:
If they didn’t want the two compared, they shouldn’t have reused all the character names and settings. Can’t have that reboot cake and eat the original too.

Show can run 1 season or 100 seasons for all I care. Won’t change what I think.
I’m with ya.

It’s like they’re rubbing it in our faces even though it has no barring whatsoever to my life if this crappy show continues.
As usual T.Q. and K. Hale nailed it.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Laohu »

In 2006 when the site was created the reboot did not exist . The site looks to like to me was trying to be complete as possible. With that in mind if the reboot had of existed when the site was made I have know doubt it would have been included . If you visit the opening page the top story is about the New show . If you go down a little farther you see a picture of Jay Hernandez the new Magnum . . The new Magnum has been included here . It is part of the “magnum PI story “ now . Conch you really seem to resent people enjoying the new show ? That’s how it comes across to me anyway ( sorry in advance if I am off the mark here ) those of us that come on here to talk about the new show don’t jump on the main part of the board to trash the old show we stay on the reboot section and talk about the reboot .
The site at the very least is sending a mixed massage with a section for reboot talk and stories on the opening page . One might think that this was a site for all things Magnum . I know some of you don’t feel that way but it is why I joined the site to begin with .
Last edited by Laohu on Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by K Hale »

Laohu wrote:In 2006 when the site was created the reboot did exist . The site looks like to me was trying to be complete as possible. With that in mind if the reboot had of existed when the site was made I have know doubt it would have been included . If you visit the opening page the top story is about the New show . If you go down a little farther you see a picture of Jay Hernandez the new Magnum . . The new Magnum has been included here . It is part of the “magnum PI story “ now . Conch you really seem to resent people enjoying the new show ? That’s how it comes across to me anyway ( sorry in advance if I am off the mark here ) those of us that come on here to talk about the new show don’t jump on the main part of the board to trash the old show we stay on the reboot section and talk about the reboot .
The site at the very least is sending a mixed massage with a section for reboot talk and stories on the opening page . One might think that this was a site for all things Magnum . I know some of you don’t feel that way but it is why I joined the site to begin with .
Here's the thing. Nobody is stopping you from talking about the new show, or even watching it.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by T.Q. »

Laohu wrote:In 2006 when the site was created the reboot did exist . The site looks like to me was trying to be complete as possible. With that in mind if the reboot had of existed when the site was made I have know doubt it would have been included . If you visit the opening page the top story is about the New show . If you go down a little farther you see a picture of Jay Hernandez the new Magnum . . The new Magnum has been included here . It is part of the “magnum PI story “ now . Conch you really seem to resent people enjoying the new show ? That’s how it comes across to me anyway ( sorry in advance if I am off the mark here ) those of us that come on here to talk about the new show don’t jump on the main part of the board to trash the old show we stay on the reboot section and talk about the reboot .
Guess that’s the debate.

You can slap a Ferrari prancing horse on a Pontiac Fiero but it does not make the Pontiac Fiero a Ferrari.

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#38 Post by ConchRepublican »

Laohu wrote:In 2006 when the site was created the reboot did exist .

I'm confused. How can a site that was created in 2006 include a TV series that premiered 13 years later?

Laohu wrote:If you visit the opening page the top story is about the New show . If you go down a little farther you see a picture of Jay Hernandez the new Magnum . . The new Magnum has been included here . It is part of the “magnum PI story “ now .

Of course it was, ignoring something is being created that is based upon what we appreciate here would be foolish. That's like erasing something from history because one doesn't agree with it.
Laohu wrote:Conch you really seem to resent people enjoying the new show ? That’s how it comes across to me anyway ( sorry in advance if I am off the mark here )

An understandable perspective, but I don't think "resent" is the right word, I just truly don't understand. I don't understand why a someone who appreciates all that makes Magnum, P.I. great would have anything to do with this reboot seeing how they are portraying the story and the characters. If anyone can be Thomas Magnum, Jonathan Higgins, etc. then it doesn't matter who they were initially. It's not like this is Star Trek: The Next Generation, where they told stories taking place in the same universe and expanded it, here, in my opinion, they took an established classic show and rebooted it for name recognition only. The characters are not the same as Magnum, P.I. established them. So, if that is so, approval of a poor substitute by the "keepers of the flame" as it were, gives it legitimacy. Does that make sense?
Laohu wrote:those of us that come on here to talk about the new show don’t jump on the main part of the board to trash the old show

Well, that would be silly to do. If a fan came to Magnum-Mania due to the reboot and then decided to trash Magnum, P.I. in it's section they should just start their own site based on the Lenkov-verse.
Laohu wrote:The site at the very least is sending a mixed massage with a section for reboot talk and stories on the opening page .
Again, ignoring it is worse.
Laohu wrote:One might think that this was a site for all things Magnum . I know some of you don’t feel that way but it is why I joined the site to begin with .
When JJ started this site the slogan "For all things Magnum PI" could mean only one thing because there was only one thing. We did add a reboot section and acknowledge it on the main page. But don't expect anyone showering praise or throwing any parades for what Lenkov has done to the name.

At the end of the day, it's everyone's choice to watch or not watch, like or not like. Lenkov has to deal with the overwhelming unflattering reviews comparing the reboot to Magnum, P.I. because he's the one who brought it on himself to use the names and likenesses.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by T.Q. »

Conch,

Maybe delete those announcements about MiniMag on front page?

It’s old news anyway.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by T.Q. »

T.Q. wrote:Conch,

Maybe delete those announcements about MiniMag on front page?

It’s old news anyway.
You could also technically remove all doubt.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Re: For all the haters of the new sho

#41 Post by Laohu »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Laohu wrote:In 2006 when the site was created the reboot did exist .

I'm confused. How can a site that was created in 2006 include a TV series that premiered 13 years later?

Sorry for the small typo guess I should have prof read before posting but sometimes things get busy around here . added the word not as I originally intended. Sorry for the confusion should seem clearer now . If not ask again and will try to explain again
Laohu wrote:If you visit the opening page the top story is about the New show . If you go down a little farther you see a picture of Jay Hernandez the new Magnum . . The new Magnum has been included here . It is part of the “magnum PI story “ now .

Of course it was, ignoring something is being created that is based upon what we appreciate here would be foolish. That's like erasing something from history because one doesn't agree with it.
Glad to hear you say that from what I have read of your post I thought it would be just the opposite . You leave me with the impression you want to wipe out everything about the new show .
Laohu wrote:Conch you really seem to resent people enjoying the new show ? That’s how it comes across to me anyway ( sorry in advance if I am off the mark here )
An understandable perspective, but I don't think "resent" is the right word, I just truly don't understand. I don't understand why a someone who appreciates all that makes Magnum, P.I. great would have anything to do with this reboot seeing how they are portraying the story and the characters. If anyone can be Thomas Magnum, Jonathan Higgins, etc. then it doesn't matter who they were initially. It's not like this is Star Trek: The Next Generation, where they told stories taking place in the same universe and expanded it, here, in my opinion, they took an established classic show and rebooted it for name recognition only. The characters are not the same as Magnum, P.I. established them. So, if that is so, approval of a poor substitute by the "keepers of the flame" as it were, gives it legitimacy. Does that make sense?
Star Trek was rebooted with new actors playing the classic roles as well . Kirk ,Spock ,etc and the first season of Next Gen was not very good
The new Actors of Magnum PI have big shoes to fill for sure everything I have seen they have been very respectful of the Original they seem to be trying to give the actors from the original show work when they can . ( and not just the big named ones )
And I truly don’t understand your stance as well . They are actors Magnum , Higgins , etc are roles that these actors play just like
the original actors did . Actors interpret facets of a character differently that is what actors do .Can anyone play them ? Yes . Can anyone play them well of course not . The current actors are growing into the parts and getting better . Not being able to understand your point of view is why I tried opening a civil dialogue maybe that’s a waste of time maybe not.
I watched the original when it aired as much as I could I found this site years ago and dropped in from time to time and loved the information that was here . Many of the things I loved about the original I find in the reboot . I find things in the new version that I think are better then the original but there are also things I miss about the original . [/b]
[/b]
Laohu wrote:those of us that come on here to talk about the new show don’t jump on the main part of the board to trash the old show

Well, that would be silly to do. If a fan came to Magnum-Mania due to the reboot and then decided to trash Magnum, P.I. in it's section they should just start their own site based on the Lenkov-verse.
Maybe but seems just as silly for people to come on the reboot forum just to trash it in every thread

Laohu wrote:The site at the very least is sending a mixed massage with a section for reboot talk and stories on the opening page .
Again, ignoring it is worse

Not sure I understand this ? if it is just a site for 80’s Magnum how would ignoring the new show be worse it would not be included because it is not 80’s Magnum
Laohu wrote:One might think that this was a site for all things Magnum . I know some of you don’t feel that way but it is why I joined the site to begin with .
When JJ started this site the slogan "For all things Magnum PI" could mean only one thing because there was only one thing. We did add a reboot section and acknowledge it on the main page. But don't expect anyone showering praise or throwing any parades for what Lenkov has done to the name.
Maybe your right about the slogan but it really seems like a stretch for me to come to that conclusion . With a slogan like that it sounds like he would have imbraced the idea of other forms of magnum . His focus might of been on the original but as a creator it just seems natural to want the site to grow and to be enjoyed by all who like Magnum . It just seems to me that new Magnum in any form would equal more traffic to the site and ithat would be desirable to bring in new people to keep it going . As self appointed Keepers of the flame I would think that is something you would want as well . I really think this will not be the last time the show is rebooted .

Again I don’t think Lenkov has done any harm to the name . 80”s Magnum is done it has been filmed it is in the can . It is shown all over the world it is in the Smithsonian . Nothing Lenkov does is going to change any of that .
At the end of the day, it's everyone's choice to watch or not watch, like or not like. Lenkov has to deal with the overwhelming unflattering reviews comparing the reboot to Magnum, P.I. because he's the one who brought it on himself to use the names and likenesses
Lenkov has said that Magnum PI 80’s version was his favorite show . I don’t think he loses any sleep over his reviews . Hawaii 50 is now the longest running reboot in history and he has two other reboots on the air . With Magnum being his favorite of the 3 . Magnum has the worst time slot of them all so it. will be interesting to see what happens . one of us will end up unhappy about it either way .
Last edited by Laohu on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

It gives me such a warm and cozy feeling in my heart when I am reading all these "openminded and welcoming and in particular non-confrontative" posts about the reboot, particularly from people who:

1. Keep the peaceful, relaxed and welcoming spirit extremely high in the other threads
2. Constantly telling that they haven't or still don't watch the show or have stopped after an episode or two.

And I agree, that it looks silly to me that people feel the urge and find it totally ok behaving like total *don't want to insult people* by doing exactly like that and admittedly destroying each single reboot thread.
But it obviously gives joy to them.

Some people here really need to check their anger management and conduct.
It's a TV show, guys, relax

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by T.Q. »

Bondtoys.de wrote:It gives me such a warm and cozy feeling in my heart when I am reading all these "openminded and welcoming and in particular non-confrontative" posts about the reboot
Well, the thread was entitled "For all the haters of the new show" so.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

..and my remarks where not solely about this particular thread, dearest :D

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by T.Q. »

Bondtoys.de wrote:..and my remarks where not solely about this particular thread, dearest :D
I pretty much stopped posting on episode threads because I didn’t watch past 5 episodes so...

Here’s an idea that might bring you serenity.

You run the page. Then you can control who joins and posts.

:lol: