Season 1 Episode 20: The Day It All Came Together (1.20)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
17%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
No votes
7.5 (Decent)
17%
7.0 (Average at Best)
17%
6.5 (Not So Good)
17%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
No votes
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
33%

Total votes: 12

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 20: The Day It All Came Together (1.20)

#31 Post by Chris109 »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
I am sure that CBS does not really care much about the hurt feelings of a handful or 2 of Magnum traditionalists on a fan webpage who see the reboot as a sacrilege against their childhood hero.

It seems that many people enjoy the reboot, I certainly do!
And that is all that matters.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by T.Q. »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:
Bondtoys.de wrote:Why not? :higgins:
In situations like this I refer to Michael Crichton, via ian Malcolm - "Just because you can doesn't mean you should".
I am sure that CBS does not really care much about the hurt feelings of a handful or 2 of Magnum traditionalists on a fan webpage who see the reboot as a sacrilege against their childhood hero.

Handful or two?

Have you not read reviews? Comments on articles? Comments on YouTube videos? Comments on Magnum fan pages on Facebook? Tweets in response to Minimag when it was announced and when the pilot aired*?

If it was just a “handful or two” then 10M “traditionalists” would be tuning in. The numbers would be huge.

Even my daughters, with whom I watched the series ONCE, refuse to watch it saying there’s only one Magnum. And they’re Millennial/GenZ. They both own (bought) the original now.

Their Twitter feed has only 9,500 followers... 9-1-1 on Fox has 50,000... NCIS has 1Million followers.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#33 Post by ConchRepublican »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:
Bondtoys.de wrote:Why not? :higgins:
In situations like this I refer to Michael Crichton, via ian Malcolm - "Just because you can doesn't mean you should".

Sigh . . . when a series decides to actually PLAY on history and an historical alligiance to a previous history, but then "not really play it" that's a huge pile of bullshit.

The name was chosen for a reason.

My opinion? They felt it was far enough away from the "love/hate" window to be in the sweet spot for them to take advantage of nostalgia for thier own benefit.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

The last time that I have checked, Magnum PI was a TV show ( I know that it means very, very much to you personally) and the reboot is an hommage to the Original in a contemporary setting.

And even if they 1:1 replicated the Original Show, you would find something to complain about because your memory is charged with positive memories from the past. We all do this.

They are not re-enacting the Civil War.
It‘s entertainment.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by T.Q. »

Bondtoys.de wrote:The last time that I have checked, Magnum PI was a TV show ( I know that it means very, very much to you personally) and the reboot is an hommage to the Original in a contemporary setting.

And even if they 1:1 replicated the Original Show, you would find something to complain about because your memory is charged with positive memories from the past. We all do this.

They are not re-enacting the Civil War.
It‘s entertainment.
Yep. It's entertainment to some.

1 out of 74 Americans watch it after all.

Go figure.

If you notice, I stopped posting on the episode threads because I don't watch the show.

Only time I still whine about it really is when you post little jabs to instigate an argument.

We get that you like it... You're the one who can't accept most here think it stinks.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I have no idea what you are talking about.
Long time ago, I have started to ignore your frequent and tasteless memes to mock me and my opinion and your recent post will not change that much.

My comment was not directed to you and I am certainly as much entiteled to voice my opinion like you are.
ConchRepublican wrote:
In this forum people are free to share their feelings as it relates to Magnum as they wish as long as they do not attack other forum members. Spirited debate, pro and con is fine, the line is when it becomes personal.

For a very long time, this has been a relaxed and fun forum with funny gifs, that all changed when the blatant hate for the reboot took over. Sadly

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Chris109 »

Bondtoys.de wrote:I have no idea what you are talking about.
Long time ago, I have started to ignore your frequent and tasteless memes to mock me and my opinion and your recent post will not change that much.

My comment was not directed to you and I am certainly as much entitled to voice my opinion like you are.

For a very long time, this has been a relaxed and fun forum with funny gifs, that all changed when the blatant hate for the reboot took over. Sadly
Just because I mock the reboot, doesn't mean I, for one, am mocking you. I'm not the swiftest tree in the jungle ( :? ), but I'm not seeing the mocking of your opinion. Although that may be cause I may not be comprehending things correctly (has been known to happen frequently). It seems our attitude toward the reboot you take personally.

As an aside, that gif you put up with the Godfather I thought was funny. You gave us all a jab. Keep them coming.

As a double aside, if it wasn't for the reboot, there would only be sporadic traffic to this site.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Cheers, Chris and no problems with your comments and I never took them personal.

Glad that you‘ve liked the Godfather, too ;)

I find it strange being attacked for being provocative - while exactly that has happened by the accuser - just browse back and see direct replies to my posts with quotations - which I have left unanswered.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

PS

Just wanted to add, that I have learnt to live with the very emotional posts re. the reboot.
While I don‘t agree with many critics and would apprechiate a more modest tone, I am not taking it personal, including T.Q.‘s* which I just leave unreplied.

* I find many of his .gif sensational and very funny in the .gif section btw

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Laohu »

So any guess where Higgins went , Magnum thought she was with a guy she said it was personal and would not discuss it . Do you think they will just drop this or will it come back up next season ? I kind of like to think she was off doing something for Robin and it is the first seed of s plot we will see next year .

Amian
Admiral

#41 Post by Amian »

Laohu wrote:So any guess where Higgins went , Magnum thought she was with a guy she said it was personal and would not discuss it . Do you think they will just drop this or will it come back up next season ? I kind of like to think she was off doing something for Robin and it is the first seed of s plot we will see next year .
Hope they come back to it! Doing something for Robin is a good guess. And I am still on board for:

a) Magnum is Robin (hard to reconcile with his time in a POW camp, but I will overlook that... maybe he got started before going into the Navy)

b) Tom Selleck is revealed at the end of the reboot's run to have been Robin all along

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Chris109 »

Laohu wrote:So any guess where Higgins went , Magnum thought she was with a guy she said it was personal and would not discuss it . Do you think they will just drop this or will it come back up next season ? I kind of like to think she was off doing something for Robin and it is the first seed of s plot we will see next year .
Is that what would be considered a cliff hanger?

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Laohu »

Cliffhanger ? No , Easter egg maybe.
Did the original ahow end each season with a cliff hanger ? Lenkov has ended Hawaii 50 with one but I don’t think he ends it that way every year ? I was kind of thinking we would get a cliff hanger but I think we got just the opposite if you choose to believe Hanna is really dead .

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

What kind of lame titles are these anyway? The Day It All Came Together??? :roll: Nothing more creative than that? What's next? The Day That a Bunch of Stuff Happened??? The Day That Some More Stuff Went Down??? The Day It Was All Sorta Alright???

I am always reminded of the original classic HAWAII FIVE-O. Now there was a show that really knew how to pique your interests with its very clever and creative titles!!! I don't know another show that had more creative titles than classic FIVE-O did. That's why it remains my all-time favorite TV show!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:What kind of lame titles are these anyway? The Day It All Came Together??? :roll: Nothing more creative than that? What's next? The Day That a Bunch of Stuff Happened??? The Day That Some More Stuff Went Down??? The Day It Was All Sorta Alright???
I am always reminded of the original classic HAWAII FIVE-O. Now there was a show that really knew how to pique your interests with its very clever and creative titles!!! I don't know another show that had more creative titles than classic FIVE-O did. That's why it remains my all-time favorite TV show!
Hi Ivan,
I too enjoyed the episode titles from Hawaii 5-0. However the King of stylish episode titles has to be Stirling Silliphant, the Oscar winning writer who
helmed both Naked City and Route 66.
Here's some from Naked City:

1) Robin Hood and Clarence Darrow, They Went Out With The Bow and Arrow
2) A Horse Has a Big Head--Let Him Worry!
3) Today The Man Who Kills Ants Is Coming.

On Route 66 most of the titles had literary allusions:

1) A Cage in Search of a Bird (Title is from Kafka's The Zurau of Aphorisms)
2) Across Walnuts & Wine.(Title is from Tennyson's "The Miller's Daughter")
3) Shall Forfeit His Dog & 10 Shillings to the King (Title is from King Canute's Law 31,
Canute being a Viking invader who carved out a realm in England and whose Laws were an important benchmark:

“No meane person may keep any Greihounds, but freemen may keep Greihounds, so that their knees may be cut before the verderons of the forest, and without cutting of their knees also, if he does not abide 10 miles from the bounds of the forest. But if they doe come any nearer to the forest, they shall pay 12 pence for every mile; but the Greihound be found within the forest, the master or owner of the dog shall forfeit the dog and ten shillings to the king.”

That Silliphant expected anyone besides some Oxford Don to 'get' the title, which explained many metaphors in the episode, so tickled
the writers of the Dick Van Dyke Show that they did a send up of him with a very funny episode titled

"The Sound of the Trumpets of Conscience Falls Deafly on a Brain That Holds Its Ears..."

---------------------------------------------------------------
Buz(George Maharis): "When you chase yourself from one day to the next;
when your both the Pied Piper and the kid that digs the music;
the kid that follows all those way out notes; you go where it takes you.
No matter where. No matter what. Like now."
Route 66 "You Never Had It So Good"