Just finished Episode 1 and I like it so far.

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

Re: Just finished Episode 1 and I like it so far.

#31 Post by Chris109 »

With the original MPI, every guy wanted to be him and live that life. Can that be said about the new MPI?

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Hi Bondtoys,

Agree with almost everything* that you say with the exception of Selleck being larger than life.

Imo his key to success is quite the opposite. He acts and appears to be the down-to-earth guy next door - in a good way.

* particularly about Perdita Weeks and the design of her role as Juliet Higgins
Last edited by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Chris109 wrote:With the original MPI, every guy wanted to be him and live that life. Can that be said about the new MPI?
I can honestly say „yes“ to all with the exception of his height.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by perfectlykevin »

Selleck's Magnum was purposefully designed to NOT always "get the gal" or win every fight. This a fundamental thing the creators of the new show have missed. Magnum is more of a rogue, a guy who gets the ladies, can scale a building to break in for a security check, all while wearing a tux, then slip in and sip champagne.

Selleck's TM, yes, definitely admirable qualities, the new one, well he comes across as much less self-deprecating.
Last edited by perfectlykevin on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Chris109 »

perfectlykevin wrote:Selleck's Magnum was purposefully designed to NOT always "get the gal" or win every fight. This a fundamental thing the crators of the new show have missed. Magnum is more of a rogue, a guy who gets the ladies, can scale a building to break in for a security check, all while wearing a tux, then slip in and sip champagne.

Selleck's TM, yes, definitely admirable qualities, the new one, well he comes across as much less self-deprecating.
Should have called the show: Bond, Hawaiian Style

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

The series is now 14 episodes long.
Pretty sure, we see Magnum failing in the coming episodes.
Imo, the first episodes, you can‘t see him failing because CBS need to build up an audience.

Remember, they changed the formula over the original show, too
And let me add, that so far, his ‚superpowers‘ heavily depended on the help of his friends, so I‘d dispute the analogies in the last posts.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by perfectlykevin »

Bondtoys.de wrote:The series is now 14 episodes long.
Pretty sure, we see Magnum failing in the coming episodes.
Imo, the first episodes, you can‘t see him failing because CBS need to build up an audience.

Remember, they changed the formula over the original show, too
And let me add, that so far, his ‚superpowers‘ heavily depended on the help of his friends, so I‘d dispute the analogies in the last posts.

Fair point. :) He does rely heavily on his friends like the classic series.

I guess my frustration extends to almost ALL tv series nowadays. Everyone seems to be ex-CIA or a Navy Seal superhero. I think even Team Macgyver got saddled with a Rambo-type.

Still, I hope it does improve and we see more sides of all the characters.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#38 Post by ConchRepublican »

Bondtoys.de wrote:Finally managed to get access to the series and have finished the first episode.

I have been a Magnum P.I. fan for more than 30 years now. I realize that Selleck and Hillerman will not return and so won't be the short shorts.
So, we won't get the old vibe - just get over and deal with it!
The Vietnam connection was mostly cut out here in german tv, so they are not oberly important imo.

My take about the first episode:
Love the Ferraris, the location shots on Hawaii (could have been more), love that we see Rick and TC back and Higgins of course.

Many over the top action scenes that haven't thrilled me and so far I am very disappointed about Higgins. she should hate him and not have a chrush on him.
I did not like Buck as well.

All in all, I am happy to receive some new episodes after almost 30 years of waiting.
A bad Magnum P.I. episode is better than none! And give me some Ferrri drives, images from Hawaii and some action and I am happy.

And the special relationship between Magnum and Higgins developed slowly over the year, in the first episodes on real MPI, Higgins was an unenjoyable sadist to be frank.

Anybody as happy as me to see Magnum back?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04