New Magnum on Mondays! And new trailer!

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

Re: New Magnum on Mondays! And new trailer!

#31 Post by Kevster »

Or, in order to check the boxes on the diversity scorecard, maybe TM will be the wrong gender for the new Ms. Higgins...

:twisted: :roll:
Trust Me!!!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#32 Post by ConchRepublican »

Kevster wrote:Or, in order to check the boxes on the diversity scorecard, maybe TM will be the wrong gender for the new Ms. Higgins...

:twisted: :roll:
Or, maybe, Shiggins will be the wrong gender for .... MiniMag? :shock:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Actually, the new guy doesn't look bad... if you give him Tom Selleck's hair, moustache and eyebrows:

...but the look that they're going for just doesn't work:

Gamer77
Lieutenant

#34 Post by Gamer77 »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Actually, the new guy doesn't look bad... if you give him Tom Selleck's hair, moustache and eyebrows:

Unless they change the hair colour the only thing he'll be good for is singing the autotune versions of 'Time In A Bottle', 'Operator', and 'Child of midnight' instead of 'Misty' when they revisit the obligatory karaoke episode.
Mad Kudu Buck wrote: ...but the look that they're going for just doesn't work:
Don't know why but the 1930's/40's Wehrmacht hairstyle is popular these days among the young.

Rands
Rear Admiral

#35 Post by Rands »

Conch:

I just had to add another condemning 2 cents about the trailer. Seeing T.Q.s Mini Mag trailer (wonderful job), in the CGI ending, I noticed there isn't any "rotor wash" in the final scene with TC's helicopter. Mini Mag's hair is near perfect, despite the car chase, destruction of Robin 1, and fall down the cliff face. Mind you, 99% of my time on rotary wings was on UH-1 Hueys, an occasional Bell Jet Ranger, and even a Hughes 500, but in each and every flight there was rotor wash from the main rotor. It has been my experience that when you approach a helicopter with a turning main rotor (always approach by the nose of the aircraft, if you enjoy living), anything not tied down will be gone.

Maybe the refs should throw a penalty flag for plying on, but at this point who cares.

MiniMag
Lieutenant

#36 Post by MiniMag »

I wish you guys would quit calling him "Mini Mag".... :wink:

ConchRepublican

#37 Post by ConchRepublican »

Rands wrote:Conch:

I just had to add another condemning 2 cents about the trailer. Seeing T.Q.s Mini Mag trailer (wonderful job), in the CGI ending, I noticed there isn't any "rotor wash" in the final scene with TC's helicopter. Mini Mag's hair is near perfect, despite the car chase, destruction of Robin 1, and fall down the cliff face. Mind you, 99% of my time on rotary wings was on UH-1 Hueys, an occasional Bell Jet Ranger, and even a Hughes 500, but in each and every flight there was rotor wash from the main rotor. It has been my experience that when you approach a helicopter with a turning main rotor (always approach by the nose of the aircraft, if you enjoy living), anything not tied down will be gone.

Maybe the refs should throw a penalty flag for plying on, but at this point who cares.
Quite. :higgins:
CoziTV Superfan spot

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#38 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

They are going to do to this what they did to Five 0

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#39 Post by Styles Bitchley »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:They are going to do to this what they did to Five 0
Why wouldn't they? They're trying to make some money. Clearly there's demand for that kind of TV. Not from me, but quite a few people. Fingers crossed that they can do something a little better and catered to my tastes.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by 308GUY »

More thumbsdown (for the most part) opinions from an "elite" group.

Don't agree..or disagree...just sharing more "talk" amongst another section of the "public".... :geek:

https://www.motor1.com/features/244094/ ... term=image
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ConchRepublican

#41 Post by ConchRepublican »

308GUY wrote:More thumbsdown (for the most part) opinions from an "elite" group.

Don't agree..or disagree...just sharing more "talk" amongst another section of the "public".... :geek:

https://www.motor1.com/features/244094/ ... term=image
For the record, I am not FerraiChat user wildcat326.
CoziTV Superfan spot

MPI time
Ensign

#42 Post by MPI time »

I thought I might have a few complaints about the reboot but after seeing the trailer... just awful.

I do not think the current writers have ever watched the original show nor have they spoken to people who once watched the program.

It lacks all sense of what Magnum PI was all about.

- and the 25 year old British double secret agent orange or whatever the hell she is supposed to be as Higgins? Laughable. Predictable in today's PC climate but laughable all the same.

What a shame.

ConchRepublican

#43 Post by ConchRepublican »

MPI time wrote:I thought I might have a few complaints about the reboot but after seeing the trailer... just awful.

I do not think the current writers have ever watched the original show nor have they spoken to people who once watched the program.

It lacks all sense of what Magnum PI was all about.

- and the 25 year old British double secret agent orange or whatever the hell she is supposed to be as Higgins? Laughable. Predictable in today's PC climate but laughable all the same.

What a shame.
Welcome MPI Time!

It looks like you and I agree on things. :-)
CoziTV Superfan spot

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#44 Post by Pahonu »

I'm just going on the record questioning the assumption that casting a woman as Higgins is just being PC. There's no evidence for this. Jay Hernandez is Latino. Is that just being PC also? The original character of TC was written by Bellisario as a white southerner, Texan, if I recall correctly. Was that just being PC. I think that casting change reflected the times, especially given the number of black men who fought and died in Vietnam, including my friend's father. It was good casting in the end. There were very few women operatives in the intelligence field decades ago, or any in combat positions in the military. Now there are. Maybe Juliet Higgins will end up as a good casting decision. I'll wait and see.

All that being said, I thought the preview was awful. I've never even seen a Fast and Furious film and I'm not hopeful I'll like the show at all. If you don't agree with a casting decision, like a short Jay Hernandez (Damn! some of you have been brutal), that's one thing, but saying it's because of political correctness is simply unsubstantiated. Maybe they picked Jay to appeal to the vertically challenged subgroup in society, the "differently heightened". :wink:

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Kevster »

Pahonu wrote:I'm just going on the record questioning the assumption that casting a woman as Higgins is just being PC. There's no evidence for this. Jay Hernandez is Latino. Is that just being PC also? The original character of TC was written by Bellisario as a white southerner, Texan, if I recall correctly. Was that just being PC. I think that casting change reflected the times, especially given the number of black men who fought and died in Vietnam, including my friend's father. It was good casting in the end. There were very few women operatives in the intelligence field decades ago, or any in combat positions in the military. Now there are. Maybe Juliet Higgins will end up as a good casting decision. I'll wait and see.

All that being said, I thought the preview was awful. I've never even seen a Fast and Furious film and I'm not hopeful I'll like the show at all. If you don't agree with a casting decision, like a short Jay Hernandez (Damn! some of you have been brutal), that's one thing, but saying it's because of political correctness is simply unsubstantiated. Maybe they picked Jay to appeal to the vertically challenged subgroup in society, the "differently heightened". :wink:
I don't disagree with any of your observations, though I've met very few latino men with such an Anglo / British / Irish name as Thomas Sullivan Magnum implies... Just sayin'

They could have used a little more discretion in at least making the title character seem appropriate for the role. I love that the original M,PI included a genuinely diverse cast in its day, because they reflected something GENUINE. If it felt contrived (well, maybe it did seem a touch contrived until RM made the role his own), that would have hurt the show. If it feels contrived now, then it will hurt them now too.

RE: MS. Higgins. They have a no-win situation with the Higgins role. Bad enough to have replace TS, but JH too!!!! They had to do SOMETHING to break the comparison with JH. Hopefully, they'll do something unexpected and good, but I still don't see it ending well.

I've enjoyed some of the F&F for what it is. It is apples and oranges to the original M,PI. I can see the appeal of both, but I'll watch Magnum multiple times, and the F&F films rarely more than once. Depth matters. F&F has more depth than many franchises, but it is still a product for geared to include appealing to open-mouthed popcorn munchers with money to spend.
Trust Me!!!