The Trailer

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Steve-O
Commander

Re: The Trailer

#166 Post by Steve-O »

So, I have watched the reboot trailer. Like others have said, I will try to keep an open mind. This show will never be anywhere near the original, so I will expect very little in common. I will however, look for commonalties or old themes and see how they are rendered. For example, will it be Fig Newtons and milk, or Oreos and Red Bull? Will there be a new donut-affected Mac? The new Higgins and TSM characters will immediately present that the original show's chemistry there is lost. Lady Higgins will surely create a whole new set of "estate" dynamics. It looks like TC may not be a teetotaller in this. (The beer bottle labelling looks like it could be a 21st century candidate for Coop's.)

I have watched all of the new Hawaii Five-O episodes over the past 8 years-- not because it is the same as the original, but because I know/accept that it is not a replacement. After character names and place names, there is little in common. Many episodes or aspects are silly or ridiculous compared to the original, but one just has to block some stuff out (apply further suspension or turn a blind eye). Oh, and I like the scenery as well.

If I had one message to send the writers and producers of the MPI reboot, PLEASE do not try to Bond this up, with the ridiculous and impossible stunts, computer generated or not. Please leave that to Ms. Broccoli and 007 team. That also means, please do not over-gizmo the props, and do not have the "guys" finding all the answers / solving all the questions by just pushing buttons.

Fingers crossed.
Last edited by Steve-O on Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#167 Post by T.Q. »

Looks like maybe people don't respond too well to new actors playing old beloved characters.

https://mashable.com/2018/05/27/solo-st ... PGxqMIUiq1
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#168 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Speaking of a new direction, I was thinking about Magnum then & now...

ConchRepublican wrote:Hey RG,

Your picture is getting a lot of attention on the FB Tom Selleck and Magnum fan pages!
Thanks for letting me know, Conch! I'm so glad people are enjoying it! :D

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#169 Post by erock308 »

I was thinking about the new trailer and how it starts with a jump from space and how it was fictional from Robin's book.... I wonder how much of the action and car crashes are also just fiction?
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#170 Post by perfectlykevin »

Wathced a new trailer today. Basically the same footage, same sequence, BUT different incidental music. Didn't sound quite as Fast and Furious as the original. And some goofy "Komin'at choo lika tigah" song was dropped. Can you tell what I think of modern music?? LOL! :magnum:

Gamer77
Lieutenant

#171 Post by Gamer77 »

perfectlykevin wrote:Wathced a new trailer today. Basically the same footage, same sequence, BUT different incidental music. Didn't sound quite as Fast and Furious as the original. And some goofy "Komin'at choo lika tigah" song was dropped. Can you tell what I think of modern music?? LOL! :magnum:
Wonder if someone who's a bit more savvy at viedo editing couldn't take that trailer from youtube and re-edit it to have 'The Brazilian' by Genesis in the background instead? Would be interesting to see how it played as the song actually holds up rather well.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#172 Post by perfectlykevin »

Gamer77 wrote:
perfectlykevin wrote:Wathced a new trailer today. Basically the same footage, same sequence, BUT different incidental music. Didn't sound quite as Fast and Furious as the original. And some goofy "Komin'at choo lika tigah" song was dropped. Can you tell what I think of modern music?? LOL! :magnum:
Wonder if someone who's a bit more savvy at viedo editing couldn't take that trailer from youtube and re-edit it to have 'The Brazilian' by Genesis in the background instead? Would be interesting to see how it played as the song actually holds up rather well.
That's a good idea. Well beyond my meager capabilities though :(

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#173 Post by Steve »

perfectlykevin wrote:
Gamer77 wrote:
That's a good idea. Well beyond my meager capabilities though :(
I'm more concerned that they might try something like this for the background music complete with glow sticks.......

youtu.be/KpHLvGbWgTg

f14peter
Lieutenant

#174 Post by f14peter »

erock308 wrote:I was thinking about the new trailer and how it starts with a jump from space and how it was fictional from Robin's book.... I wonder how much of the action and car crashes are also just fiction?
I and some others have suggested as much ... the truck-to-helo jump at the end would create a book-end of sorts with the space-jump as an excerpt from a Masters novel.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#175 Post by Kevster »

My expectations for the reboot have remained fairly consistent... Also, fairly low... However, the one area where my expectations may be higher is the actor playing Rick. I sense a different take on Rick that may be fresh and worthwhile. I've not seen the guy in ANYTHING, so I know nothing but what was shown in the trailer, but seems to be a bit of a "presence" in every scene he's in. If so, and if that compliments the other actors, that could be the seeds of chemistry. If you can find some real chemistry and the writers/creative team don't screw the pooch too bad, the show may have more merit than the trailer has shown thus far.

Wouldn't it be great to have a few good shows on the main networks? I haven't watched ANY network shows in the last ten years except a few episodes of Agent Carter. When I realized how far they'd missed the mark with that show, I immediately retreated back into cable again...
Trust Me!!!

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#176 Post by perfectlykevin »

f14peter wrote:
erock308 wrote:I was thinking about the new trailer and how it starts with a jump from space and how it was fictional from Robin's book.... I wonder how much of the action and car crashes are also just fiction?
I and some others have suggested as much ... the truck-to-helo jump at the end would create a book-end of sorts with the space-jump as an excerpt from a Masters novel.
How's this for a meta-twist. In the original, Higgins was known to tell a few whoopers in his time and was suspected of being Mr. Masters. Now in the reboot, we have TM serving as the "inspiration" to Robin's fiction by recalling impossible action scenarios (whoopers).

Admit it Magnum... you are ROBIN MASTERS!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#177 Post by perfectlykevin »

([/quote]

I'm more concerned that they might try something like this for the background music complete with glow sticks.......

youtu.be/KpHLvGbWgTg[/quote]

OMG!! Wow, that was just awful. I'm sure they will do worse :)

karolis
Admiral

#178 Post by karolis »

There's new video from the reboot - Behind the Scenes:

https://twitter.com/MagnumPICBS/status/ ... 8331996160

At 46 second you could see blue Audi (R8?) on the right (behind Juliet Higgins)

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#179 Post by eagle »

karolis wrote:There's new video from the reboot - Behind the Scenes:
The theme song at the end.... I sure hope they don't mess it up like they did with the H50 reboot (before they reworked it).

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#180 Post by Steve »

karolis wrote:There's new video from the reboot - Behind the Scenes:

https://twitter.com/MagnumPICBS/status/ ... 8331996160

At 46 second you could see blue Audi (R8?) on the right (behind Juliet Higgins)
I am pretty sure you are correct, that looks like an Audi R-8 to me as well......I wonder what the dollar amount is going to be on the reboots automobiles?