Season 2 Episode 1: Payback is for beginners

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 2 Episode 1: Payback is for beginners

#16 Post by Laohu »

Wow I am surprised that Germany is that far behind. Dubbing and / or Subtitles can be a Challenge . Somethings just don’t translate well and can be made even worse when actors and script editors don’t understand the source material well. Honorifics can be especially tough and hard to get right .

sandbiscuits
Captain

#17 Post by sandbiscuits »

Higgins (aka Bondtoys) wrote:The original dubbing, Magnum and Higgins where on formal terms, but left away the „Mr“
Season 2 of the reboot, Magnum and friends are on informal terms, are calling each other only on first names and „you“ which is very strange in my eyes because parts of the magic (Original and Reboot) lays in a kind of formal distance between Magnum and Higgins.

I don‘t really like that they have been crossing that line with the german dubbing
This is really interesting! In the original, Higgins is formal because of age and station while Magnum is more informal in his younger (immature) American way. Reboot MPI maintains the distance pretty well, but the dynamic is necessarily different. Juliette is younger Johnathan and times are just less formal in 2020 than in 1980. And of course Hawaii is known for being laid back!

The partnership in the reboot collapses the distance between Magnum and Higgins, but I still think there is a formality and tension between them that doesn't match what you are describing in the dubbing.

Anyone watching MPI in other languages that could comment on this?

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Last night, there was a Season 1 episode on tv here, and they where addressing each other in the formal way we do here in Germany.
So it was a deliberate decision for season 2 and honestly, I don‘t like it very much.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by KENJI »

Higgins mentions she has a tattoo and Magnum says I never seen it and Juliette replies ...."And where it is, you never will". :shock:

I liked Juliette's line with the big guy sitting on the Ferrari.........

"Might I suggest you remove your ass from the hood of the car before I do it for you"

I liked the dialogue between Gordie and Magnum at the crime scene where Gordie says to Magnum....."Leave before I arrest you for giving me a migraine"
Magnum: "That's not even an arrestable offense"
Gordie: "GO"