For all the haters of the new show

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: For all the haters of the new show

#16 Post by T.Q. »

Laohu wrote:T.Q please go back and read some off your old post .
Why?

I’m not even interested in arguing. No convincing anyone.

Just responded here to a post made to bait people and start a fight.

I’ll still make the odd joke or gif because I think it’s funny.

If MiniMag fans think this show is so good it’s above criticism then I can’t help them.

Like I said, David Hasselhoff was a massive singing Star in Europe... millions of people follow the Kardashians’ every move... people even think The Big Bang Theory is funny... so...

:lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by K Hale »

Laohu wrote:I was referencing a comment I made elsewhere on this board . The Gist of it was what to call fans of each era of the show . I suggested
Original show = old Guard
New show = new Guard
Both shows = Magnum Manic

There is nothing derogatory in any of the titles . None say or even imply that you are not a fan of the show .

T.Q please go back and read some off your old post .
Gonna have to disagree. This forum was created long before the new show was a twinkle in Lenkov’s eye. And the name of the forum is Magnum-Mania. So it does sound like you were implying that if you don’t like the new show, you don’t belong here as a Magnum Maniac.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by 308GUY »

I don't think I've ever been a "hater" of the new show...I even suggested early on that we should give it a chance...that "change" is inevitable...not always embraceable...but always bound to happen.

Do I wish it was done differently...sort of...I think everyone wishes the original could be recaptured...but it's a logistical impossibility...ain't gonna happen.

So maybe we should ask ourselves...how would WE have done it? I think we should also give it a second look..to those who've dismissed it as "not as it should be".

I recorded every episode, whether I watched it at the time it was being aired or not. I'm glad now that I did.

I've been rewatching it..and I have to say..there are still many things that I'd like to have seen done differently, but all in all...it's really not a bad show. Did they steal the title...and the characters...and the premise....well...."sort of"....borrowed may be a better term for me. But after watching the episodes again, (I'm only up to ep.#10), I am starting to see why Lenkov is as successful as he obviously is. I'm even starting to see why Hernandez was cast as TM. Who would YOU have put in the role? J.H. is more of what TS described TM to be than he was himself...if you look at it kind of "slanted" like....what I mean is...the writers originally wanted TM to be the dashing PI, always gets the girl..always wins the fight...almost a "perfect" specimen...but TS himself said.."no" I don't want to play him that way....I want him to be failable....not always right...not always ending up with the girl...a "regular" sort of guy. With his reduced stature and minus mustache...Jay comes across (to me) much more "average" than TS could ever be. Don't get the wrong idea here...I am still a huge TS fan...and nothing can diminish my love and appreciation for the original series and everything it represents to me...but I do just really like the fact that Magnum PI is BACK ON THE AIR! Different...yes.... but for us to bitch and moan about it not being up to snuff with our beloved original..is sort of like complaining about the sky being blue, or the grass being green, or having to pay taxes. In other words...it is what it is..and not a lot any of us can do about it. We can choose not to watch...but trying to drag it down and put it down is akin to being a bully....again...if you look at it the right way.

Not sure I'm expressing what I want to in exactly the way I'd like to...but the more I watch it, the more I see that it is Magnum for the new age...like it or not. There are parts that are very smart (IMHO) and again, parts that I think should have been done differently...but that's not my call. If I really don't like it...I can turn it off and never watch again...but I don't see where I'm gaining anything by trying to put it down and pretend it doesn't exist.

So I better shut up...I guess I can turn in my stripes if I'm just too far out of line....but I just felt like I wanted to say, give it another shot. It's on the air...it's been renewed and that Ferrari is still killer up there on the little screen, (which isn't so "little" anymore! :lol: ) I wish they'd bring the 308 back at some point...like it took the insurance company a while to find just the right replacement...but it should really be in the stable at the ready..."just in case"!

I hope this doesn't mean I'm now on anybody's sh*t list (unless I already was..in which case..guess it really doesn't matter!) but I'm in the camp that doesn't want to see it end....if it fails...like some have hoped for...there will probably not be another attempt to revive it in any form...at least not for another 20-30 years...and I won't be around for that..so this is it....it is what it is..and it's as close to Magnum PI as we're likely to get..so I for one am going to try to not only accept it..but embrace it.

Would I have done it differently....maybe...but I really don't know how. Look at what Hernandez was up against....the more I watch...the more I think he really is trying and gives a different version of who he's supposed to be, legitimacy. Sorry.....but I also hope it gets to make at least as many episodes as it's namesake.

Ok...I could go on...but should probably shut up now....hope I'm not "banned" for the effort! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Laohu »

K Hale wrote:
Laohu wrote:I was referencing a comment I made elsewhere on this board . The Gist of it was what to call fans of each era of the show . I suggested
New show = new Guard

There is nothing derogatory in any of the titles . None say or even imply that you are not a fan of the show .

Gonna have to disagree. This forum was created long before the new show was a twinkle in Lenkov’s eye. And the name of the forum is Magnum-Mania. So it does sound like you were implying that if you don’t like the new show, you don’t belong here as a Magnum Maniac.
You can disagree all you want but you can’t know what I was thinking when I wrote it but I Can .
I did not start the topic just added to it . If you look I am sure you can find my original post were I wrote this before . To the best of my knowledge it was not objected to then . After that you might change your mind about it or maybe not . I tried my best to clarify my response if you wish to read something else into it then that’s up to you .

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by K Hale »

I won’t be changing my mind. I don’t know what you meant, I only know what you said and I have to disagree with it.

I also won’t be changing my mind about the new show. It could run for 100 seasons and win 10,000 Emmys. That’s just not the point.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Laohu »

Then I think it has more to do with your preconceived notions then what I said . So sir we shall have to agree to disagree then .

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by K Hale »

Laohu wrote:Then I think it has more to do with your preconceived notions then what I said . So sir we shall have to agree to disagree then .
Ma’am.

(Speaking of preconceived notions.)
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by T.Q. »

K Hale wrote:
New show = new Guard

Old fossils who can’t keep up with the times and no longer belong here.

That’s how I took it.

Apologies to Laohu for taking it wrong.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#24 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
T.Q. wrote:
Love how it's morphed to "you're not a true Magnum, P.I. fan if you don't like the reboot".

*SIGH*
I don't see that at all.
Congratulations you’re a true Magnum maniac ! You like both shows.
I don't understand your comment. I clearly stated in my post that I lost interest in the reboot quickly. I think I watched three or four episodes and gave up. Why did you use only that small part of my post? I'm not sure you read the whole post before commenting.

Here it is again:

I don't see that at all. I think the "haters" referred to in the post are the few that kept trashing the new show repeatedly. I lost interest in the reboot pretty quickly and said as much, but that's not what the post was directed at. There seem to be a few members who really like the new show and a few who absolutely hate even the idea of the reboot. This has been the major source of the friction, I think, not the many who's views fall somewhere in between. It's just not as simple as you love it or you hate it, as is true in much of life really.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Laohu »

K Hale wrote:
Laohu wrote:Then I think it has more to do with your preconceived notions then what I said . So sir we shall have to agree to disagree then .
Ma’am.

(Speaking of preconceived notions.)
Lol :D Touché

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Laohu »

T.Q. wrote:
K Hale wrote:
New show = new Guard

Old fossils who can’t keep up with the times and no longer belong here.

That’s how I took it.

Apologies to Laohu for taking it wrong.
Thank you T.Q.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Laohu »

308GUY wrote:I don't think I've ever been a "hater" of the new show...I even suggested early on that we should give it a chance...that "change" is inevitable...not always embraceable...but always bound to happen.

Do I wish it was done differently...sort of...I think everyone wishes the original could be recaptured...but it's a logistical impossibility...ain't gonna happen.

So maybe we should ask ourselves...how would WE have done it? I think we should also give it a second look..to those who've dismissed it as "not as it should be".

I recorded every episode, whether I watched it at the time it was being aired or not. I'm glad now that I did.

I've been rewatching it..and I have to say..there are still many things that I'd like to have seen done differently, but all in all...it's really not a bad show. Did they steal the title...and the characters...and the premise....well...."sort of"....borrowed may be a better term for me. But after watching the episodes again, (I'm only up to ep.#10), I am starting to see why Lenkov is as successful as he obviously is. I'm even starting to see why Hernandez was cast as TM. Who would YOU have put in the role? J.H. is more of what TS described TM to be than he was himself...if you look at it kind of "slanted" like....what I mean is...the writers originally wanted TM to be the dashing PI, always gets the girl..always wins the fight...almost a "perfect" specimen...but TS himself said.."no" I don't want to play him that way....I want him to be failable....not always right...not always ending up with the girl...a "regular" sort of guy. With his reduced stature and minus mustache...Jay comes across (to me) much more "average" than TS could ever be. Don't get the wrong idea here...I am still a huge TS fan...and nothing can diminish my love and appreciation for the original series and everything it represents to me...but I do just really like the fact that Magnum PI is BACK ON THE AIR! Different...yes.... but for us to bitch and moan about it not being up to snuff with our beloved original..is sort of like complaining about the sky being blue, or the grass being green, or having to pay taxes. In other words...it is what it is..and not a lot any of us can do about it. We can choose not to watch...but trying to drag it down and put it down is akin to being a bully....again...if you look at it the right way.

Not sure I'm expressing what I want to in exactly the way I'd like to...but the more I watch it, the more I see that it is Magnum for the new age...like it or not. There are parts that are very smart (IMHO) and again, parts that I think should have been done differently...but that's not my call. If I really don't like it...I can turn it off and never watch again...but I don't see where I'm gaining anything by trying to put it down and pretend it doesn't exist.

So I better shut up...I guess I can turn in my stripes if I'm just too far out of line....but I just felt like I wanted to say, give it another shot. It's on the air...it's been renewed and that Ferrari is still killer up there on the little screen, (which isn't so "little" anymore! :lol: ) I wish they'd bring the 308 back at some point...like it took the insurance company a while to find just the right replacement...but it should really be in the stable at the ready..."just in case"!

I hope this doesn't mean I'm now on anybody's sh*t list (unless I already was..in which case..guess it really doesn't matter!) but I'm in the camp that doesn't want to see it end....if it fails...like some have hoped for...there will probably not be another attempt to revive it in any form...at least not for another 20-30 years...and I won't be around for that..so this is it....it is what it is..and it's as close to Magnum PI as we're likely to get..so I for one am going to try to not only accept it..but embrace it.

Would I have done it differently....maybe...but I really don't know how. Look at what Hernandez was up against....the more I watch...the more I think he really is trying and gives a different version of who he's supposed to be, legitimacy. Sorry.....but I also hope it gets to make at least as many episodes as it's namesake.

Ok...I could go on...but should probably shut up now....hope I'm not "banned" for the effort! :magnum:
308Guy you should start this as it’s own Topic it’s a great post. I like the new show but there are a few things I would still like the to fix . And a few I think that they just got right . .

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Chris109 »

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Chris109 »

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Chris109 »