Season 1 Episode 20: The Day It All Came Together (1.20)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
17%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
No votes
7.5 (Decent)
17%
7.0 (Average at Best)
17%
6.5 (Not So Good)
17%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
No votes
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
33%

Total votes: 12

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 20: The Day It All Came Together (1.20)

#16 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Steve wrote:I have been very forgiving and supportive of the show and was looking forward to the season final but this was just a hot mess! I get the feeling that this may have originally been a two-parter that was edited down so Lenkov and Guggenheim could get a chase scene and of course, an automatic weapons battle, although the helicopter chase was well staged. This one received my lowest rating of the season and for the build up of the Hannah arc, I feel it was a let down due to the following: The Magnum/Higgins PI agency is silly, why didn't Katsumoto follow Rick to the airport and demand to come along, plus I thought it was a very weak reaction from Hannah's father watching her die (or did she?)
Hi Steve,
You are so right about the Father's non reaction to his daughter's death, I kept thinking watching that scene that not only was it bad writing but the director either hadn't
a clue about basic humanity or it was a butchered 2 parter(as you noted) so badly edited the "Father's" reaction shot got lost in the shuffle.
Regarding the Magnum/Higgins PI Agency, from the producers stand point it makes sense. Jay can't carry a series, making him part of a team with an accomplished
actress would help hide his flaws the same way you pair a infielder with limited range with a team mate who can cover more ground.
Male viewers who might otherwise now blow this series off could be lured back next season with the thought of more Higgy Baby onscreen.
Higgy also must be the senior partner, to cause creative tension with Magnum.
I would note that some months past one of our Magnum Mania brethren predicted this teaming up, as Perdita is the best thing in this series and it's probably best to
get away from slavishly imitating the original Magnum as this whole production doesn't have the chops to do so.
I wouldn't want to embarrass our Nostradamus by naming him but his initials are D.G. and he has a PI uncle in St. Louis.

-----------------------------
Luther has the worst idea since Great Granddad Gillis gave 2 free tickets to Mrs. Lincoln to see "Our American Cousin" at Fords Theater -
Luther: "Find anything out yet from Ice Man?"
Rick: "It's Ice Pick."
Luther: "What's the difference, the man's a bum. I'm kind of inclined to sneak into his steam bath and snap his towel, ya know what I mean?"

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I know, cultivating my fanboy image here.

I have really enjoyed this episode. I echo the criticism about Hanna's father, his acting and positioning is rather pathetic in that scene. Machine gun battle - granted but it was in the context and necessary.

The old show was all about friendship and camaraderie and this was in the center of the story here.

I echo, that Perdita is the best thing that could happen to the series (just as John Hillerman was with the original run).
The idea of the partnership is weird - not only in a traditional MPI sense - but let's see how this develops. I wouldn't be surprised (and hope) if Juliet would drop the idea in season 2.

Magnum and Katsumoto have gotten too friendly over season 1 so it was a good contrast seeing that relationship cooling off a little. But that's all what friendship is all about. You have honeymoon and in this stage things are easy to keep a friendship. It's getting deeper, when things are getting tough and that's the deepness that traditionalists are often demanding from the reboot..

Happy to see TC and Rick finally doing some acting and I am looking forward to season 2

Very good episode imo.

P.S. I can't believe that she's now calling him "Thomas".....

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Steve »

I don't want some to get me wrong, I have no problem with Juliette helping Magnum on cases and agree she is the best part of the reboot, I just don't like the idea of it being "official". One of my favorite arcs this season is the dynamic that has developed between Thomas, Juliette and Katsumoto...

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by KingKC »

Since there is absolutely no way this Magnum-Higgins relationship can re-create the original Magnum-Higgins relationship (nor should they even try) the show should just go ahead and make them equal partners and build the obvious sexual tension they have already started. Maybe instead of Rick getting married in the last episode TM and Higgins will marry. (Kind of cringe worthy for us faithful MPI followers, though.) Hannah is out of the way so the writers have a perfect opening.

Amian
Admiral

#20 Post by Amian »

KingKC wrote:Since there is absolutely no way this Magnum-Higgins relationship can re-create the original Magnum-Higgins relationship (nor should they even try) the show should just go ahead and make them equal partners and build the obvious sexual tension they have already started. Maybe instead of Rick getting married in the last episode TM and Higgins will marry. (Kind of cringe worthy for us faithful MPI followers, though.) Hannah is out of the way so the writers have a perfect opening.
The equal partners thing will probably be revisited in season 2, but I think they'll get away from it quickly. Or at least they should. If they keep it, maybe they can rename the show Moonlighting Magnum and make it a double reboot.

I thought Hannah was out of the picture, but a few posters have mentioned that we didn't see her body come off the plane. If she comes back, perhaps she and Juliette can have the big showdown we got a hint of before. But Hannah was basically redeemed, so nix that.

It seems too obvious (or maybe lazy) to make Juliette into Magnum's love interest. That was one of the first big "oh no" speculations when the reboot was first announced. It would be nice to see the writers hold off on that angle.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Laohu »

Bondtoys don’t worry about being a fan boy we all are fanboys or we would not be here .

sandbiscuits
Captain

#22 Post by sandbiscuits »

Bondtoys.de wrote:I know, cultivating my fanboy image here.

I have really enjoyed this episode. I echo the criticism about Hanna's father, his acting and positioning is rather pathetic in that scene. Machine gun battle - granted but it was in the context and necessary.

The old show was all about friendship and camaraderie and this was in the center of the story here.
Nothing wrong with being a fanboy! And we don't have to like everything about a show. I agree about the camaraderie being important, and the show (both the original and reboot) are at their best when they stick to that.

Actually, I have to confess that the Magnum and Michelle arc of the original series was probably my least favorite of the long arcs. I get its importance, but I just never cared that much about her character, and she didn't appear enough to really make me believe that she and Magnum had such a deep relationship. The short-term romances that popped up throughout the series were more interesting to me. But even more than that, it was the camaraderie of the main cast that kept me hooked.

In the reboot, Hannah is kind of like Michelle in that she is the love interest that precedes the guys' current lives in Hawaii. And it doesn't draw me in. And I hope Juliette remains in the camaraderie camp because I think the show has more possibilities with that route.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by eagle »

Watched this episode today. I still can't believe I forced myself to watch the entire season. Anyway, I see that I'm not the only one who eye-rolled in this episode -- many times for me. I didn't care for the bromance (not the same thing as camaraderie and friendship). The writing was on par with the rest of the season, and we've already discussed that. As others said, the father's non-reaction really struck me.

The other thing I really didn't like about the reboot, and I know I'm not alone, is the ... um.. how shall I put it... 007-ification of the show. The original was smart, clever. Nearly every episode of the reboot relied on technology (the "Magic Computer" as some call it), with no real detective work.

Gunfights, technology, unbelievable lucky breaks, and SFX -- that's the reboot.

For me, I found this to be a wholly unmemorable season for a mediocre show with poor acting and worse writing.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Re. The Tech in the reboot.

How often did Magnum approach Mac and his computer to gather information?
How very much dependent was he when calling Rick to check a numberplate or a person?
And how did Rick get all that info without relying to a computer somewhere with someone?

It certainly would not make sense to ban all smartphones and laptops from the show and I see Juliet's research pretty similar to what Mac has done in the original show. Time has moved on, we can't really ignore it and demand it off from a contemporary show which needs to pay it's bills today and not 35 years ago.

Having said all that, I feel fortunate not seeing semi-transparent table-style displays like they use in Hawaii 5-O

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by KingKC »

eagle wrote:Watched this episode today. I still can't believe I forced myself to watch the entire season. Anyway, I see that I'm not the only one who eye-rolled in this episode -- many times for me. I didn't care for the bromance (not the same thing as camaraderie and friendship). The writing was on par with the rest of the season, and we've already discussed that. As others said, the father's non-reaction really struck me.

The other thing I really didn't like about the reboot, and I know I'm not alone, is the ... um.. how shall I put it... 007-ification of the show. The original was smart, clever. Nearly every episode of the reboot relied on technology (the "Magic Computer" as some call it), with no real detective work.

Gunfights, technology, unbelievable lucky breaks, and SFX -- that's the reboot.

For me, I found this to be a wholly unmemorable season for a mediocre show with poor acting and worse writing.
Eagle:

I cannot disagree with anything you have said. It is just that I have learned to accept the show for what it is. There is absolutely no show that is as memorable for me as the original Magnum P.I. but times have changed, Hollywood has no new imagination and the reboot as you described it is what we get. I know there is another thread/topic about what our favorite episode of the first season reboot was and unmemorable is the word I would use for the whole season. To hope for a China Doll, a Lest We Forget, a J. Digger Doyle or a Beauty Knows No Pain is simply asking too much.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#26 Post by ConchRepublican »

KingKC wrote:Since there is absolutely no way this Magnum-Higgins relationship can re-create the original Magnum-Higgins relationship (nor should they even try) the show should just go ahead and make them equal partners and build the obvious sexual tension they have already started. Maybe instead of Rick getting married in the last episode TM and Higgins will marry. (Kind of cringe worthy for us faithful MPI followers, though.) Hannah is out of the way so the writers have a perfect opening.
This is what I will never understand . . . If the "magic" that made Magnum, P.I. can't be duplicated so why even try, why even bother to reboot the series using the same name and characters? It reflects the product - lazy and unimaginative.

How about at least reimagining it? You want a female Higgins? OK, but make her a Cold Warrior and try and keep the same dynamic but explore it from a different angle, say a lost mother, distant father for Magnum and have Shiggins fill a strict, yet comforting role.

At least that, even if it failed, would be trying to honor the intent and feel of what Magnum, P.I. is about.

This is just check box, lowest common denominator TV.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Why not? :higgins:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#28 Post by ConchRepublican »

Bondtoys.de wrote:Why not? :higgins:
In situations like this I refer to Michael Crichton, via ian Malcolm - "Just because you can doesn't mean you should".
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by eagle »

ConchRepublican wrote:In situations like this I refer to Michael Crichton, via ian Malcolm - "Just because you can doesn't mean you should".
That is seriously the best line in that movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nazm3_OXac

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Bondtoys.de wrote:Why not? :higgins:
In situations like this I refer to Michael Crichton, via ian Malcolm - "Just because you can doesn't mean you should".
I am sure that CBS does not really care much about the hurt feelings of a handful or 2 of Magnum traditionalists on a fan webpage who see the reboot as a sacrilege against their childhood hero.

It seems that many people enjoy the reboot, I certainly do!