I went to the ComicCon SD 2018 Magnum screening...(SPOILERS)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: I went to the ComicCon SD 2018 Magnum screening...(SPOIL

#16 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Doc Ibold wrote:
beerhappy wrote: The interviewer also asked if they were planning a romantic relationship between Magnum and Higgins. The answer was yes...I had to restrain myself from walking out of the panel at that instant.
And with that, I’m out from watching this.
I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt, even though I hate reboots. But the writers and producers had one job. One bleeping job. Do not ever have chemistry between Magnum and Shiggins. No romance. Nada. Let them be adversaries, then begrudging respect, then true friendship. Easy peasy.
It’s not hard at all people, but that tells me about the tired writing that will follow. Such an easy trope to seize and they pounced it like the lads chasing Magnum.
An Irate Doc
Doc Ibold,
Please reconsider not watching the new Magnum. It will be the subject of so many remarks here that you will want to be able to pass on your own views.
Also, though it will no doubt rapidly go down the drain, it will still remain a reference point and subject matter 30 years from now in the Magnum Mania Universe when Conch Republican's and your grandchildren are posting how much the reboot stunk.
Just reprinting the most inane lines here from the latest episodes should make for entertaining posts.
For example, in a 1950's Superman episode, the unarmed Jimmy Olsen, Miss Lane and Clark Kent are surrounded by Stone Age, spear carrying primitive tribesmen on a undiscovered jungle island and as they are about to be perforated the clueless but seemingly pleased Jimmy proudly proclaims "let's show them we can
die like Americans"!
Um, you first, Jimbo.
Come Doc Ibold, come to the Dark Side of the Force. Watch the reboot, in your heart you know you want to.

"I don't trust Atoms - they make up everything"
Mr. Brewster
My 10th grade Science teacher
WHS Westfield, NJ

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#17 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Ibold wrote:
beerhappy wrote: The interviewer also asked if they were planning a romantic relationship between Magnum and Higgins. The answer was yes...I had to restrain myself from walking out of the panel at that instant.
And with that, I’m out from watching this.

I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt, even though I hate reboots. But the writers and producers had one job. One bleeping job. Do not ever have chemistry between Magnum and Shiggins. No romance. Nada. Let them be adversaries, then begrudging respect, then true friendship. Easy peasy.

It’s not hard at all people, but that tells me about the tired writing that will follow. Such an easy trope to seize and they pounced it like the lads chasing Magnum.

An Irate Doc
Welcome back Doc! Loving the fire.

Stay irate!! :evil:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Skill testing question:

You need to kill the driver of a truck. You have a Ferrari behind, a helicopter above and people with guns in both. How do you accomplish your mission?

A) Follow truck using Ferrari. From the helicopter, shoot the cabin roof. Wait for the truck to crash. Then check to make sure driver is dead.

B) Swerve the Ferrari in front of the truck so that you're sliding sideways down the road. Shoot at the driver, then quickly jump out of the sliding Ferrari on to the windshield of the truck (grab the top railing!) as it smashes the Ferrari and slams through a brick retaining wall. As the truck goes over a cliff, climb the to the top of the truck, run, then jump into the air and grab onto the skids of the helicopter. Watch the explosion below and chuckle like a moron.

Bonus question:

What kind of a-hole opens fire on and attempts to assassinate the driver of a heavy truck on public roads? At least wait for the guy to park the truck before you put a bullet in his head.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I'm a bit confused by the physics of this:

Fake Magnum was in the Ferrari, moving at the same speed relative to the truck. The truck smashes through the Ferrari. Shouldn't it be doing the same thing to fake Magnum's body as he hits the truck? The fact that he's jumping towards the truck should actually add a bit to the impact. I don't have a PHD in physics, but I have done quite a lot of driving - and I'd say fake Magnum would go SPLAT, like a very big bug.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Kevster »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I'm a bit confused by the physics of this:

Fake Magnum was in the Ferrari, moving at the same speed relative to the truck. The truck smashes through the Ferrari. Shouldn't it be doing the same thing to fake Magnum's body as he hits the truck? The fact that he's jumping towards the truck should actually add a bit to the impact. I don't have a PHD in physics, but I have done quite a lot of driving - and I'd say fake Magnum would go SPLAT, like a very big bug.

Nice LOL at this. Thanks!
Trust Me!!!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#21 Post by ConchRepublican »

I believe it has to do with MiniMag's size, kinda like how insects are able to ride shock waves and wind currents.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by perfectlykevin »

ConchRepublican wrote:

I believe it has to do with MiniMag's size, kinda like how insects are able to ride shock waves and wind currents.
LOL! OMG, I nearly sprayed coffee everywhere!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

NotthatRick
Admiral

#23 Post by NotthatRick »

ConchRepublican wrote:

This is great! I don't know which name I like best, Fake Magnum Or MiniMag. Funny stuff! :lol:

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I call him "fake Magnum" because I just can't call this guy "Magnum". There's only one real Magnum. MiniMag is a great name, but it makes me think of this flashlight:

I'm not sure, but I suspect that this flashlight is slightly taller than fake Magnum.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Oh... no, I was wrong. He's slightly taller:

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#26 Post by nha trang »

What trash and it comes out right after Obummer dozed pahonu, may you live in interesting times

nha trang

NotthatRick
Admiral

#27 Post by NotthatRick »

nha trang wrote:What trash and it comes out right after Obummer dozed pahonu, may you live in interesting times

nha trang
I agree. This past year has been very tough on hardcore Magnum fans. John Hillerman's passing, Robin's Nest being torn down and now the MiniMag series. It has been rough.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by perfectlykevin »

NotthatRick wrote:
nha trang wrote:What trash and it comes out right after Obummer dozed pahonu, may you live in interesting times

nha trang
I agree. This past year has been very tough on hardcore Magnum fans. John Hillerman's passing, Robin's Nest being torn down and now the MiniMag series. It has been rough.

Usually with reboots, the originals get the Blu_Ray treatment, which is nice. :) Silver lining? :)

Mr. Mike
Commander

#29 Post by Mr. Mike »

The proposed crossover with the reboot of Hawaii Five-O is dumb. There has already been a violation of the space/time continuum with this show because in S03E19 of the new H50, some characters were taking a helicopter ride and they broke into the theme from Magnum P.I. (i.e., it was a >TV show<, not real life). This was already weird enough, considering the original Magnum had references to McGarrett (no relation to the one on the current show).

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Mr. Mike wrote:The proposed crossover with the reboot of Hawaii Five-O is dumb. There has already been a violation of the space/time continuum with this show because in S03E19 of the new H50, some characters were taking a helicopter ride and they broke into the theme from Magnum P.I. (i.e., it was a >TV show<, not real life). This was already weird enough, considering the original Magnum had references to McGarrett (no relation to the one on the current show).
Yes and in season 1, Steve and Danny refer to a P.I. as Magnum.