For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Rands
Rear Admiral

Re: 1911

#16 Post by Rands »

I too am a long term fan of the 1911. It is one of the classic firearms, recognized the world over. At times, I carried one in the Army, and carried a Series 70 Colt Combat Commander as a duty weapon in law enforcement. With the same "manual of arms", there wasn't a learning curve between the two. The Commander, which is produced by Colt in Series 80 as the 1991 A1 Commander, was a better firearm for concealed carry, with the barrel and slide being 3/4 inch shorter. There are enough manufacturers of 1911s, that the forum could be led astray with the possibilities. I carried my Commander under an open firearms policy, since my agency was issued Model 19 Smith and Wesson revolvers, and I found the Model 19 with insufficient firepower in many of the areas I worked. Many of my fellow agents carried Glock 19s, Smith automatics, etc. for exactly the same reason.

I carried my Commander until my agency adopted the SIG 228. Fortunately, we had an extensive transition course, nearly firing 1,000 rounds of 9mm in a weekend. I had several misgivings about the SIG 228, but within it's design limitations, it served well. I understand the newer generations of SIGs, are even better than the 90s era 228. SIG has brought the P-220 back, and it has been a big seller in my geographic area. Since I wasn't a big fan of the 228, I don't own a SIG. I have several friends who are extremely satisfied with their SIGs, but I must profess ignorance on that issue.

As for using a 1911 for the Magnum reboot, while contrary to current SEAL culture, there are many avenues to which Magnum might again be carrying a 1911. In Magnum PI, it was implied that Magnum "liberated" his 1911 after finishing his service in Vietnam. In the reboot, if it were a classic 1911, it could be an item inherited from his father, grandfather, etc., or something he picked up in military theater, as a "war trophy", simply bringing it home with him. Hopefully, the writes will have decent imaginations, and try to hold true to the original.

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

#17 Post by Bat22 »

Thru purchase and family, I've handled the .45 P220, .40 P229, and 9x19 SP2022. All solid performers, they are. I haven't been to the range in two years thanks to an accelerated nursing program but, when I'm back to making bank, I think I might just see about a 1911.

It's possible that we may have an episode where his standard pistol is inaccessible and, like the classic Ferrari, he borrows the classic 1911.

It then occurs to me that, similar to Magnum's strange time-displaced episodes, maybe one day we'll see Jay-Mag waking up to life in the 1980s with classic car and sidearm.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#18 Post by ☨magnum.t »

I would have really loved to see the new Colt MarSoc edition of the 1911, desert tan G10 grips and a rail for a light if needed. And SEALs work very closely with marsoc so it wouldn't have been to big a stretch, although since im not partaking in the reboot nonsense I guess it doesn't much matter.
That reminds me of the time....

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by eagle »

I did some searches tonight and found this: https://stiguns.com/products/mpi-carry-comp

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Reef monkey »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
☨magnum.t wrote:Is anyone else wondering about what sidearm New MiniMag will carry?
That's adorable - what is it? The styling kind of reminds me of a gun I own (given to me by my older brother when his wife made him get rid of his gun collection (I'm not a big gun guy, but my wife doesn't care if I own an antique gun as long as there are no bullets in the house), an FN Browning 1900.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_M1900# ... 83631).jpg
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Reef monkey wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
☨magnum.t wrote:Is anyone else wondering about what sidearm New MiniMag will carry?
That's adorable - what is it? The styling kind of reminds me of a gun I own (given to me by my older brother when his wife made him get rid of his gun collection (I'm not a big gun guy, but my wife doesn't care if I own an antique gun as long as there are no bullets in the house), an FN Browning 1900.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_M1900# ... 83631).jpg
Didn't Paladin (Richard Boone) used to carry one of these mini guns concealed on his person in HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL? If anyone remembers that 50s Western classic.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by KingKC »

I think we are going to see a lot less gun usage by Magnum and a lot more martial arts by Magnum and Higgins.