COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: The Trailer

#106 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote:
Steve wrote:Also posted earlier by Core4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADAeeJclFIU&t=20s
GARBAGE!

More downvotes than upvotes on vid.

2nd last scene with cliff? Laughable Hollywood garbage.

#NotMyMagnum
Wow! And reading the comments section is no walk in the park either.

I'm glad to see there are more who feel like us out there.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#107 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote:
T.Q. wrote:
Steve wrote:Also posted earlier by Core4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADAeeJclFIU&t=20s
GARBAGE!

More downvotes than upvotes on vid.

2nd last scene with cliff? Laughable Hollywood garbage.

#NotMyMagnum
Wow! And reading the comments section is no walk in the park either.

I'm glad to see there are more who feel like us out there.
It’s Star Wars all over again.

Well everyone in charge are my age... Maybe they’ll do right by the original trilogy. NOPE.

Well, Lenkov was a Magnum fan growing up... Maybe he’ll do right by the original. NOPE.

Millenialls will probably love it though. :?

Sad.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#108 Post by Steve »

eagle wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I've done my fair share of joking about Jay Hernandez's height but I'm doing so because of the choice of the actor. I simply do not think Jay Hernandez is right for the role of TM. And now that I've seen the trailer and the actor interviews, to me he also comes across as too cocky. It has nothing at all to do with tall men or heroes or our society. It's a tv role and I think he is a bad choice.
Hey, RG, I've been thinking the same thing. The special sauce seems to be missing from the reboot -- but then I don't think anyone could remake that special sauce. TC and Rick seem to be okay (they may or may not be "good"; time will tell), but Higgins and Magnum just both seem wrong to me. My thinking is that it's the "Fast & Furious" coming out in the reboot, and F&F isn't what made the original an excellent show. It is, however, what many viewers today seem to want.
The season ending episode of Hawaii Five-O this past Friday was written by Lenkov and Guggenheim. It was ridiculous and awful.......I am just hoping that they were devoting their time to the Magnum pi(no comma) pilot and hope this is not forecast of episodes to come.....

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#109 Post by Core 4 »

Steve wrote:
eagle wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I've done my fair share of joking about Jay Hernandez's height but I'm doing so because of the choice of the actor. I simply do not think Jay Hernandez is right for the role of TM. And now that I've seen the trailer and the actor interviews, to me he also comes across as too cocky. It has nothing at all to do with tall men or heroes or our society. It's a tv role and I think he is a bad choice.
Hey, RG, I've been thinking the same thing. The special sauce seems to be missing from the reboot -- but then I don't think anyone could remake that special sauce. TC and Rick seem to be okay (they may or may not be "good"; time will tell), but Higgins and Magnum just both seem wrong to me. My thinking is that it's the "Fast & Furious" coming out in the reboot, and F&F isn't what made the original an excellent show. It is, however, what many viewers today seem to want.
The season ending episode of Hawaii Five-O this past Friday was written by Lenkov and Guggenheim. It was ridiculous and awful.......I am just hoping that they were devoting their time to the Magnum pi(no comma) pilot and hope this is not forecast of episodes to come.....
I'm the opposite of you. I watched the finale two times. And for me it was awesome episode. The best episode in season 8.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#110 Post by T.Q. »

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ConchRepublican

#111 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote:Image
Fantastic!
CoziTV Superfan spot

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#112 Post by Kevster »

I just went over to the trailer and the negatives still outweigh the positives by about 100 votes. The comments are as negative as can be.

The suits better pay attention!!!!
Trust Me!!!

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#113 Post by Core 4 »

Kevster wrote:I just went over to the trailer and the negatives still outweigh the positives by about 100 votes. The comments are as negative as can be.

But here we have only about 158000 views. Here we have about 746000 views and and positive outweigh the negative by about 2100 votes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DopL6LdM-zg

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#114 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote:
T.Q. wrote:Image
Fantastic!

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#115 Post by Kevster »

Core 4 wrote:
Kevster wrote:I just went over to the trailer and the negatives still outweigh the positives by about 100 votes. The comments are as negative as can be.

But here we have only about 158000 views. Here we have about 746000 views and and positive outweigh the negative by about 2100 votes:

That's true... Actually, 751K just now and a 2.2K difference.

The comments are pretty negative on this one too, but I sense a lot more humor. I love the comment about TM driving a Prius just above the guy commenting about pissing on a Picasso. Made me chuckle... :lol:

I hope the show is successful, and the production team finds a way to create the heart and depth of the original show. They seem to include a LOT OF DETAILS from the original show, which shows they must care enough to do research. Conversely, they seem oblivious to some of the key elements of its success. Flawed people that are still people of character, class, education, a bond borne of service to country and each other, and aspirations of even more than what they've known thus far in life. Though they are often at odds, there is a glue that binds them together... This kind of storytelling takes time, and I hope the production team goes there.

Without the Higgins/Magnum Father/Son relationship, this is going to have to go a much different direction.

Fast and Furious has done VERY WELL, with a lot of action and including an interwoven story about various relationships. The action brings in some people, and the deeper stories keep them coming back.

However, Black Panther was a much SMARTER movie than most F&F films. Lots of action, but a lot more depth. If CAN be done, but it has to be done intentionally through the storytelling.

The original Magnum used the series format to its benefit. They could build depth, complexity, and evolving relationships. Two hour movies are a more limited palette, but a series has a linear palette that can open artist opportunities. If the producers choose to use it, the new MPI could blossom. Hamstringing themselves by agenda casting, whether that was because they wanted to elevate PC or T&A, is evidence of a artistic culture that is polluted rather than empowered.

I hope they figure it out sooner rather than later....
Trust Me!!!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#116 Post by eagle »

Kevster wrote:Conversely, they seem oblivious to some of the key elements of its success. Flawed people that are still people of character, class, education, a bond borne of service to country and each other, and aspirations of even more than what they've known thus far in life. Though they are often at odds, there is a glue that binds them together...
Boom -- that's it right there, Kevster. "Flawed people that are still people of character, class, education, a bond borne of service to country and each other." I couldn't have said it better.

ConchRepublican

#117 Post by ConchRepublican »

Kevster wrote:
Core 4 wrote:

That's true... Actually, 751K just now and a 2.2K difference.

The comments are pretty negative on this one too, but I sense a lot more humor. I love the comment about TM driving a Prius just above the guy commenting about pissing on a Picasso. Made me chuckle... :lol:
When the best results show a 35% negative response, still with scathing comments, I'm thinking suits are sweating. Especially when one considers that there probably are 'bots involved to increase positive response.
CoziTV Superfan spot

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#118 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, I'd say it's safe to say the comments on YouTube have been close to overwhelmingly negative; brutally negative in fact.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican

#119 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:Yeah, I'd say it's safe to say the comments on YouTube have been close to overwhelmingly negative; brutally negative in fact.
And that's across three sites so far.

Methinks they didn't understand the relationship people have with this series and assumed they had a built in audience. So much for reading the room.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Levidale
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#120 Post by Levidale »

I’ve never seen a fast and the furious movie but my son said thats what it looked liked to him with all the fake looking action. It really did looked bad to me but hey, I’m use to the real magnum. Tom Selleck that is. I will not be watching the new one.