Season 1 Episode 1: I Saw the Sun Rise - Pilot (1.1)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
2%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
7%
7.5 (Decent)
7%
7.0 (Average at Best)
16%
6.5 (Not So Good)
9%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
27%
5.0 (Just Awful)
16%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
18%

Total votes: 45

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 1: I Saw the Sun Rise - Pilot (1.1)

#106 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Reef monkey wrote:That's funny, Paddy, I'm the same way about current TV, and I watch the same two shows (though both feel like they've run their course to me and I doubt I'll watch them this season). Also agree about the pacing, everything being over the top, and I thought Magnum being beaten up but left alive when they were willing to kill everyone else was a major plot hole. And I feel like this show, in pacing, setting, even characterizations, is just too close to the new 5-0, not differentiated enough to have any purpose.
Exactly, even the slow motion music in the ending sequence (or “Epilogue” as it was called in the old Quinn Martin Productions) was the same as 5-0.
Faith and Begorrah!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#107 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:I don’t really watch a lot of current television. Blue Bloods and the occasional Lenkov 5-0 is about it. The pacing was exhausting in this episode. Nothing ever developed in the silence. It seems the dialogue just took you to the next plot point or action sequence. Everything was over the top. The Estate, the cars, the shooting; even Magnum getting beat up was extreme. The bad guys were straight out of 5-0. They were kind of interchangeable faceless violent men who strayed from the right side of the law. Then they get killed off with the snap of a finger and the story is wrapped up. Hell Magnum even commandeered a satellite like they do in 5-0. That has to be the world heavyweight champion of lazy plot advancement. Hernandez has been discussed enough. I can’t see him digging this show out of the ditch. It would have been a good time to cast a Polynesian/Hawaiian actor in the part (think Jason Momoa type). I don’t see Tidewater being a plot arc in this show. I can’t believe this got green lighted as is.
Father Paddy,
I love! your idea of a Hawaiian actor as Magnum, as a Hawaiian Magnum, that would have been a great twist, having a classic Hawaiian mother and extended family and thus even more of a stimulating culture clash with Higgins. A woman like Artie Canoe's wife as Mother Magnum, chasing Higgins with a broom.
Hawaiian Magnum would have supplied a dynamic that would have made this series more than a pale remake.
I think we all know the solution to making the New Magnum work. Just as Paul Simon once spoke for a generation when he asked

"where have you gone Joe DiMaggio"

I am sure I speak for everyone here such as Conch and even the founder of Magnum Mania JJ, when I say,

"where have you gone Braddah Kimo"

Braddah Kimo demonstrated a keen understanding of Hawaiian culture when he posed as a angry native Hawaiian on these Boards for years, so imagine
what he could do running the New Magnum. CBS, take note, the people of Magnum Mania are all on board Team Kimo.

"When I first heard the word Nazi, it was just another word to me. But now it's another way to spell cockroach and for the next two minutes
I'm a one man Board of Health." ...Lucky Jordan (Alan Ladd)

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#108 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:I don’t really watch a lot of current television. Blue Bloods and the occasional Lenkov 5-0 is about it. The pacing was exhausting in this episode. Nothing ever developed in the silence. It seems the dialogue just took you to the next plot point or action sequence. Everything was over the top. The Estate, the cars, the shooting; even Magnum getting beat up was extreme. The bad guys were straight out of 5-0. They were kind of interchangeable faceless violent men who strayed from the right side of the law. Then they get killed off with the snap of a finger and the story is wrapped up. Hell Magnum even commandeered a satellite like they do in 5-0. That has to be the world heavyweight champion of lazy plot advancement. Hernandez has been discussed enough. I can’t see him digging this show out of the ditch. It would have been a good time to cast a Polynesian/Hawaiian actor in the part (think Jason Momoa type). I don’t see Tidewater being a plot arc in this show. I can’t believe this got green lighted as is.
Father Paddy,
I love! your idea of a Hawaiian actor as Magnum, as a Hawaiian Magnum, that would have been a great twist, having a classic Hawaiian mother and extended family and thus even more of a stimulating culture clash with Higgins. A woman like Artie Canoe's wife as Mother Magnum, chasing Higgins with a broom.
Hawaiian Magnum would have supplied a dynamic that would have made this series more than a pale remake.
I think we all know the solution to making the New Magnum work. Just as Paul Simon once spoke for a generation when he asked

I am sure I speak for everyone here such as Conch and even the founder of Magnum Mania JJ, when I say,

Braddah Kimo demonstrated a keen understanding of Hawaiian culture when he posed as a angry native Hawaiian on these Boards for years, so imagine
what he could do running the New Magnum. CBS, take note, the people of Magnum Mania are all on board Team Kimo.

"When I first heard the word Nazi, it was just another word to me. But now it's another way to spell cockroach and for the next two minutes
Dobie, you are a hoot!

I was reading a rambling and somewhat difficult to follow post by Braddah Kimo just today as a matter of fact.

"Team Kimo"...... haha I love it!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#109 Post by K Hale »

That Kimo guy was before my time but I've read his posts and he is so over the top that he deserves some kind of award for best street theater.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#110 Post by ConchRepublican »

Father Paddy,

I take the other position regarding a Hawaiian Magnum. Part of the show's context is that he's not "home". He, Rick, T.C., even Higgins, they are all transplants and that's what adds to their bond. They may have made some connections and contacts over the years but do any of them have any real friends aside from each other? They don't . . . except for maybe Carol, and she's really outside their triangle.

I think that dynamic works best for the storytelling.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#111 Post by MaximRecoil »

ConchRepublican wrote: I take the other position regarding a Hawaiian Magnum. Part of the show's context is that he's not "home". He, Rick, T.C., even Higgins, they are all transplants and that's what adds to their bond. They may have made some connections and contacts over the years but do any of them have any real friends aside from each other? They don't . . . except for maybe Carol, and she's really outside their triangle.

It's no surprise that the way they made the show to begin with was already the best way to make it, otherwise it wouldn't have been among the best shows in TV history (the best in its class, in my opinion). Changes to it are inherently for the worse, because there's nowhere to go but down.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#112 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MaximRecoil wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote: I take the other position regarding a Hawaiian Magnum. Part of the show's context is that he's not "home". He, Rick, T.C., even Higgins, they are all transplants and that's what adds to their bond. They may have made some connections and contacts over the years but do any of them have any real friends aside from each other? They don't . . . except for maybe Carol, and she's really outside their triangle.

It's no surprise that the way they made the show to begin with was already the best way to make it, otherwise it wouldn't have been among the best shows in TV history (the best in its class, in my opinion). Changes to it are inherently for the worse, because there's nowhere to go but down.
Hi Guys,
I have to disagree though I get your point. With a classic show like Magnum, it's a steep hill to climb to try to emulate its perfect chemistry and every exact aspect that made it great.
Maybe a homage is the best course so it doesn't compete with our memory of the original. To be honest no one could ever replace the original cast or exactly replicate most any other aspect of the series in my eyes. But there should be an all out effort to recapture the spirit of the original without cloning it.
When the Coen Brothers announced they were remaking Duke Wayne's immortal True Grit, I cursed their presumption and swore I would never see some revisionist crap no doubt loaded with 21st century sensibilities. I did go see it after it earned 10 Oscar nominations and had Jeff "Big Lebowski" Bridges as Rooster Cogburn. The producers wisely had Bridges stamp the role in his own way and made the movie just different enough from the original that one could enjoy it on it's own terms, and get lost in the new version without bringing the original to mind every second.
As opposed to what happened to one of the great flicks ever, 1937's immortal Prisoner of Zenda. It was remade in a 1952 color version, an exact scene for scene twin of the original but Stewart Granger was no Ronald Colman and James Mason's acting pales next to possibly the most charismatic acting job in history, that by Douglas Fairbanks jr. as bad guy Rupert of Hentzau. The original - like Magnum - caught lightning in a bottle, to exactly try to clone it could never work, it would have been better for the remake to find it's own path.
I think that's what should have happened with new Magnum. That said, it was doomed from the get go by letting the brain trust who ruined the new Hawaii 5-0 do the same to the remake. Also, as has been noted, the miscasting of Magnum with a short actor was fatal, as Magnum's physicality, his sheer size was part of his appeal, a reassuring protector in the eyes of adoring women and a capable warrior to have at your side in the the eyes of men.

Rupert of Hentzau(Douglas Fairbanks): "I see you let the drawbridge down. I just killed a man for that."
Rudolph Rassendyll(Ronald Colman): "An unarmed man of course."
Rupert of Hentzau: "Of course!"

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#113 Post by MaximRecoil »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Hi Guys,
I have to disagree though I get your point. With a classic show like Magnum, it's a steep hill to climb to try to emulate its perfect chemistry and every exact aspect that made it great.
Maybe a homage is the best course so it doesn't compete with our memory of the original. To be honest no one could ever replace the original cast or exactly replicate most any other aspect of the series in my eyes. But there should be an all out effort to recapture the spirit of the original without cloning it.
The best course would have been to not make another Magnum, P.I. show at all. Magnum, P.I. didn't try to capture the spirit of any original; it was an original. That's what everyone who makes shows should do, i.e., make an original. If they can't think of an original idea, at least remake something that wasn't very good in the first place; maybe then they will have a shot at improving it.
When the Coen Brothers announced they were remaking Duke Wayne's immortal True Grit, I cursed their presumption and swore I would never see some revisionist crap no doubt loaded with 21st century sensibilities. I did go see it after it earned 10 Oscar nominations and had Jeff "Big Lebowski" Bridges as Rooster Cogburn. The producers wisely had Bridges stamp the role in his own way and made the movie just different enough from the original that one could enjoy it on it's own terms, and get lost in the new version without bringing the original to mind every second.
I hated that movie with a passion. There are only a couple of movies that annoyed me more, e.g., Death Proof (2007) and Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015). True Grit (1969) is one of my all-time favorite movies. I own it on Blu-ray, though, unfortunately, the transfer isn't very good.

I wish there were more people like Robert Zemeckis in Hollywood; the guy who refuses to allow a remake of, or sequel to, any of the Back to the Future movies to be made while he's alive.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#114 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Father Paddy,

Dobie, you are a hoot!

I was reading a rambling and somewhat difficult to follow post by Braddah Kimo just today as a matter of fact.

"Team Kimo"...... haha I love it!
Thank you Rembrandt Girl. As I understand it Braddah Kimo was a middle aged white guy from San Diego pretending to be a Hawaiian nationalist.
That has to be a first in the history of mankind. As the Aussies say, "he's got kangaroos in the top paddock". Barking mad in England.
He's probably a congressman.

"Excelsior, you fathead!"... motto of Jean Shepherd, NYC radio legend and author of A Christmas Story("You'll shoot your eye out")

I_fix_Ricks_Mercedes
Ensign

#115 Post by I_fix_Ricks_Mercedes »

Hi All! Long time visitor but this is my first post. I have been a fan of Magnum since the late 80s as a teen and I am fortunate that my wife is from Hawaii so we go back to visit a few times a year (we live in Florida) and of course I make the rounds visiting all the Magnum locations (nothing beats a swim in the tide pool though!).

Anyway, I just wanted to say the reboot wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, good enough that ill check out the next few episodes but I wanted to share an idea I had for what I believe CBS should have done as far as Magnum goes. Apologies if this has already been thought of but everyone knows Magnum had a daughter so why not have a show where she has grown up and followed in her fathers footsteps? In this age of "Metoo" etc... this would have been a great idea to have another strong female lead character on TV and this also allows you to bring back all the original characters etc.... going to Dad (Magnum) for advice, Rick could be the new Icepick etc.... The possibilities would be endless really. Just my nickel though.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#116 Post by KENJI »

I_fix_Ricks_Mercedes wrote:Hi All! Long time visitor but this is my first post. I have been a fan of Magnum since the late 80s as a teen and I am fortunate that my wife is from Hawaii so we go back to visit a few times a year (we live in Florida) and of course I make the rounds visiting all the Magnum locations (nothing beats a swim in the tide pool though!).

Anyway, I just wanted to say the reboot wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, good enough that ill check out the next few episodes but I wanted to share an idea I had for what I believe CBS should have done as far as Magnum goes. Apologies if this has already been thought of but everyone knows Magnum had a daughter so why not have a show where she has grown up and followed in her fathers footsteps? In this age of "Metoo" etc... this would have been a great idea to have another strong female lead character on TV and this also allows you to bring back all the original characters etc.... going to Dad (Magnum) for advice, Rick could be the new Icepick etc.... The possibilities would be endless really. Just my nickel though.
Welcome I_fix_Ricks_Mercedes,

ABC and Eva Longoria had floated the idea a few years back, but no traction! :(

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/new ... n-abc.html

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#117 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Another behind the scenes exclusive from the Magnum Mania Investigative Unit... here's a photo of Perdita Weeks in wardrobe this morning :shock:

I was just watching one of the sneak peek videos for the upcoming episode, and this Comic-Con interview with Jay & Perdita came on next. Apparently someone sent her this pic... sorry Perdita, I couldn't resist!

https://youtu.be/JUaZgd9hNnQ?t=150

North
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#118 Post by North »

I'm more of Hawaii Five-O guy than I am a Magnum guy but I always enjoyed both for their similarities and differences. Hard to believe that the H50 reboot was already 8 years ago and I still dislike it. However I have softened my opinion in that I now realize it's not so much the show I hate but the way of life that it represents.

The new Magnum is different though, as much as I dislike the new 50 versus the original it isn't a bad show by current standards, the new magnum seems like it is just lower quality than the original (of course) or even H50 2.0. The acting and the character development were just plain awful! Not one of the characters interested me in the slightest.
North (aka John)

giant_albatross
Lieutenant Commander

#119 Post by giant_albatross »

Gatchaman wrote:...And make no mistake about it...the only reason Higgins is an attractive woman is to get more men to watch it. We all know that already, right?
I disagree. The original Magnum had beautiful women in most episodes (not to mention Agatha, lol). However, the Core characters were all masculine man's men. It was part of the wave of what in retrospect we could call "bro shows" from the early 80s (A-Team also comes to mind). In many ways, these shows were appealing to a reaction from the feminism of the 1970s. Men watched because they wanted to see show featuring manly men and male camaraderie in a world where that was increasing not permitted, and audiences watched in droves. Women also watched, but often because of Magnum's looks. So, the show worked.

I think now more than in those days, a "bro show" like the original would work even more since there aren't any such things. It simply wouldn't be allowed, and the ratings of today's TV shows have gone the opposite direction, arguably as a result. You can see beautiful women, in any state of undress on the internet at any time. No need to watch TV for that.