Refuse to Watch
No votes

Total votes: 5

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 3 Episode 13: Cry Murder (3.13)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Just a title at this point.
Last edited by KENJI on Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 3 Episode 13: Cry Murder (3.13)

#2 Post by KENJI »

As Magnum and Higgins work a case to recover valuable stolen truffles, they also must care for a baby left abandoned at the gates of their estate, while Kumu tries to locate the infant's mother.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

KENJI wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:30 am As Magnum and Higgins work a case to recover valuable stolen truffles
:lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: I had to read that twice. Seriously??? Like the candy??? Sheesh, how the weak have fallen....

Will they be investigating a stolen mismatched sock in the following episode??

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#4 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:14 pm
KENJI wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:30 am As Magnum and Higgins work a case to recover valuable stolen truffles
:lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: I had to read that twice. Seriously??? Like the candy??? Sheesh, how the weak have fallen....

I believe it’s referring to the very valuable culinary delicacy, not candy. Higgins would be disappointed. :lol:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truffle

Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:54 pm

I believe it’s referring to the very valuable culinary delicacy, not candy. Higgins would be disappointed. :lol:

It still sounds ridiculous. Let's recover some stolen spices before... ummm... ummm... :? What are the stakes again?

Pahonu

#6 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:38 pm

It still sounds ridiculous. Let's recover some stolen spices before... ummm... ummm... :? What are the stakes again?
Why does it sound ridiculous? If it was a stolen bottle of wine worth thousands of dollars, you wouldn’t want it back? It’s only grape juice so you would be okay with it being stolen? The stakes are a LOT of money. You had obviously not heard of this delicacy before but they can be very valuable because of their rarity, just like many other things in this world, food or otherwise. Your lacking knowledge about it doesn’t make it any less valuable or ridiculous. You really thought it was about candy?

Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:05 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:38 pm

Why does it sound ridiculous? If it was a stolen bottle of wine worth thousands of dollars, you wouldn’t want it back? It’s only grape juice so you would be okay with it being stolen? The stakes are a LOT of money. You had obviously not heard of this delicacy before but they can be very valuable because of their rarity, just like many other things in this world, food or otherwise. Your lacking knowledge about it doesn’t make it any less valuable or ridiculous. You really thought it was about candy?
If you go to any store and ask for truffles I guarantee they'll point you to the candy/chocolate section. Everyone knows that truffles is candy. It's very good! Have you ever had it?

Pahonu

#8 Post by Pahonu »

I’ve had chocolate truffles many times. They are delicious, but I’m also aware that there are other meanings of the word “truffle”. Many words have more than one meaning. In your original post you used some pretty snarky language about the ridiculousness of the episode premise. You never thought that it could be referring to something other than a chocolate candy? You might have done a little research before jumping to the incorrect conclusion that it was about candy, which was, if I’m honest, more ridiculous than the actual episode premise you mocked. I just Googled the word “truffle” and guess what came up? Not the candy. There’s nothing wrong with the fact that you didn’t know about the other meaning of truffle but defending ignorance means not learning new things. You learned something new. That’s a good thing. :D I’ve learned some pretty interesting things on this forum too.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by KENJI »

The stolen truffles in this episode were worth over $400,000, unfortunately for Magnum and Higgins they discovered the truffles were actually knock off truffles and wouldn't be able to claim the 10% reward if they recovered them. The restaurant owner was trying to collect on the insurance, claiming they were real and was even willing to kill to cover his tracks.

The baby storyline was another attempt by the writers to bring Thomas and Juliette a little closer.
A rubber chicken was introduced as a substitute for a teddy bear, but the infant just cried.
At one point Higgins even uses Magnum's Hawaiian shirt as a diaper....he was reluctant at first to hand it over, but when Higgins said "strip" he couldn't get his shirt off fast enough. Again, another tactic by the writers to bring them closer.

Pahonu

#10 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:15 pm The stolen truffles in this episode were worth over $400,000, unfortunately for Magnum and Higgins they discovered the truffles were actually knock off truffles and wouldn't be able to claim the 10% reward if they recovered them. The restaurant owner was trying to collect on the insurance, claiming they were real and was even willing to kill to cover his tracks.

The baby storyline was another attempt by the writers to bring Thomas and Juliette a little closer.
A rubber chicken was introduced as a substitute for a teddy bear, but the infant just cried.
At one point Higgins even uses Magnum's Hawaiian shirt as a diaper....he was reluctant at first to hand it over, but when Higgins said "strip" he couldn't get his shirt off fast enough. Again, another tactic by the writers to bring them closer.
Hey Kenji,
Good to hear from you! I don’t actually watch the series, but had a pretty good idea that the truffles mentioned were quite valuable. A show about recovering stolen candy just seemed entirely implausible.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:43 pm
KENJI wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:15 pm The stolen truffles in this episode were worth over $400,000, unfortunately for Magnum and Higgins they discovered the truffles were actually knock off truffles and wouldn't be able to claim the 10% reward if they recovered them. The restaurant owner was trying to collect on the insurance, claiming they were real and was even willing to kill to cover his tracks.

Hey Kenji,
Good to hear from you! I don’t actually watch the series, but had a pretty good idea that the truffles mentioned were quite valuable. A show about recovering stolen candy just seemed entirely implausible.
Hi Pahonu!
Good to hear from you too.
It definitely wasn't a candy caper!!
I have no idea if these prices are up to date, but this is one example of the cost of truffles (the fungi version) that supports what you were stating earlier on......... black truffles, the more common variety, currently cost about $95 per ounce while white truffles top the charts at $168 per ounce.
The ones mentioned in this episode were white truffles. One can also buy truffle oil too. I wouldn't want to even guess how many truck loads of candy truffles it would take to come up to $400,000+. I agree, making an episode about truck loads of stolen chocolate truffles wouldn't make any sense. I can't remember the exact comment (that tells you how tuned in I was :wink: ), but near the beginning of the episode Magnum makes a comment about being hired to find stolen truffles and Higgins lets him know they are very expensive etc.. He changes his tune when he realizes how much they could make if they find them. At the end it was all for nothing as they weren't the real deal anyways.
Enjoy your weekend P!
:)

Pahonu

#12 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:23 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:43 pm

Hey Kenji,
Hi Pahonu!
Good to hear from you too.
It definitely wasn't a candy caper!!
I have no idea if these prices are up to date, but this is one example of the cost of truffles (the fungi version) that supports what you were stating earlier on......... black truffles, the more common variety, currently cost about $95 per ounce while white truffles top the charts at $168 per ounce.
The ones mentioned in this episode were white truffles. One can also buy truffle oil too. I wouldn't want to even guess how many truck loads of candy truffles it would take to come up to $400,000+. I agree, making an episode about truck loads of stolen chocolate truffles wouldn't make any sense. I can't remember the exact comment (that tells you how tuned in I was :wink: ), but near the beginning of the episode Magnum makes a comment about being hired to find stolen truffles and Higgins lets him know they are very expensive etc.. He changes his tune when he realizes how much they could make if they find them. At the end it was all for nothing as they weren't the real deal anyways.
Enjoy your weekend P!
:)
Wow! Great facts. $168/oz. :shock:
Years ago I remember having a mushroom pasta dish in a a little Italian restaurant that included a drizzle of truffle oil on top. That’s when I first learned what truffles were. I have absolutely no recollection of the taste other than I liked the dish. :lol: I later saw a cooking show that explained how pigs were used to find them in Italy as far back as the Renaissance. Now they use dogs for some reason.

Have a great weekend too!

LZeitgeist
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by LZeitgeist »

KENJI wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:15 pm
Fortunately, it was just a blue plaid shirt, not an Aloha shirt, as that would have made me mad. *chuckle*

I have also noticed that they are finally reusing an occasional Aloha shirt - next week we see him wearing both one from season two as well as one from season one! I was afraid they were going to do a different shirt every episode and never see them again.

Gearhard
Lieutenant Commander

#14 Post by Gearhard »

Only one mention of Dr Ethan (he wants a couple kids). Jules and Richard had discussed children , but only after being married a couple years.

Magnum seemed to be the better one with the baby. Higgins didn't impress me as very "maternal". She got a little better towards the end of the show. Rick and TC will be great crazy uncles.

I loved the rubber chicken cameo. Will we see a gorilla mask in the future?

No mention of the white SUV.
Glenn