Season 3 Episode 7: Killer on the Midnight Watch (3.7)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
13%
One of the Best
No votes
Excellent
13%
Very Good
38%
Pretty Good
No votes
Decent
13%
Average at Best
13%
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
No votes
Just Awful
13%
Refuse to Watch
No votes

Total votes: 8

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 3 Episode 7: Killer on the Midnight Watch (3.7)

#1 Post by KENJI »

When an overenthusiastic neighborhood watch group asks Magnum and Higgins to investigate a shady character living on their block, they are shocked to find that they may have inadvertently stumbled upon a serial killer on the loose.
Feb. 05, 2021
Last edited by KENJI on Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amian
Admiral

Re: Killer on the Midnight Watch (3.7)

#2 Post by Amian »

Always enjoy Jin's character. He's pretty funny, and his scenes with the woman from the laundromat (sorry, can't remember her name) were surprisingly good.

Can anyone tell how exactly the show is representing the pandemic? Jin's business is laundering money (as in actually cleaning it), but no one is social distancing, masking, etc. Are they all at a point in the future in which the pandemic is over but people are still being careful?

Did anyone think that the woman at the end was going to shoot the trafficker? I know she made the right choice, but honestly I thought the show might go the darker route. No such luck. Instead we got the schmaltzy song as the sisters hugged. Meh. Despite that, still thought it was a good episode overall.

Oh, also, thought the brothers were very wooden, but endearing. As in the acting was so bad it was good, and the guys were earnest in their delivery.

One last thing: I thought mostly everyone in Hawaii takes shoes off inside their homes, but the professor in this episode definitely did not, and I think everyone at Robin's Nest keeps their shoes on. I suppose I'm generalizing...

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Amian wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:39 pm Always enjoy Jin's character. He's pretty funny, and his scenes with the woman from the laundromat (sorry, can't remember her name) were surprisingly good.
Can anyone tell how exactly the show is representing the pandemic? Jin's business is laundering money (as in actually cleaning it), but no one is social distancing, masking, etc. Are they all at a point in the future in which the pandemic is over but people are still being careful?
Did anyone think that the woman at the end was going to shoot the trafficker? I know she made the right choice, but honestly I thought the show might go the darker route. No such luck. Instead we got the schmaltzy song as the sisters hugged. Meh. Despite that, still thought it was a good episode overall.
Oh, also, thought the brothers were very wooden, but endearing. As in the acting was so bad it was good, and the guys were earnest in their delivery.
One last thing: I thought mostly everyone in Hawaii takes shoes off inside their homes, but the professor in this episode definitely did not, and I think everyone at Robin's Nest keeps their shoes on. I suppose I'm generalizing...
Hi Amian,
Regarding no one social distancing. I believe they are looking at the long game. While we are enduring this horror it is all encompassing but time goes by so fast that before you know it it will be gone.
It would definitely distract from the Magnum reboot's reruns plot/story/drama etc in 2030 to see people in masks. Part of the allure of the series is Hawaii itself of course but also a major part of
it is the attractive cast, no one wants to see them obscured.
Perhaps it is the changing times but has anyone else noticed how many fewer guest star babes - Sharon Stone types - there are on the reboot? New Magnum isn't anywhere near the roue that our
Tom Selleck was. As a unreconstructed rutting swine I miss seeing them. After all the lady fans of the reboot get Jin, but we men are getting bupkis.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Money won't change you but TIME will take you on"...James Brown

Amian
Admiral

#5 Post by Amian »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:33 am Hi Amian,
Regarding no one social distancing. I believe they are looking at the long game. While we are enduring this horror it is all encompassing but time goes by so fast that before you know it it will be gone.
It would definitely distract from the Magnum reboot's reruns plot/story/drama etc in 2030 to see people in masks. Part of the allure of the series is Hawaii itself of course but also a major part of
it is the attractive cast, no one wants to see them obscured.
Perhaps it is the changing times but has anyone else noticed how many fewer guest star babes - Sharon Stone types - there are on the reboot? New Magnum isn't anywhere near the roue that our
Tom Selleck was. As a unreconstructed rutting swine I miss seeing them. After all the lady fans of the reboot get Jin, but we men are getting bupkis.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Money won't change you but TIME will take you on"...James Brown
Hi, I suspect you're right about wanting to minimize the pandemic aesthetic for when the show is revisited down the line, and your comment about keeping the attractive people visible is right on. In that case, though, I think it would be better to just ignore the pandemic altogether... a passing reference to it (Jin's money laundering) seems half-baked. Lean into it or leave it alone, I say!

Also agree the reboot is short on the babes (or even hunky guys) in swimsuits. Heavier on the gunplay, lighter on the skin... so it goes!