Season 3 Episode 4: First the Beatdown, Then the Blowback (3.4)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
25%
One of the Best
No votes
Excellent
No votes
Very Good
13%
Pretty Good
13%
Decent
25%
Average at Best
13%
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
No votes
Just Awful
13%
Refuse to Watch
No votes

Total votes: 8

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 3 Episode 4: First the Beatdown, Then the Blowback (3.4)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Magnum and Higgins help an up-and-coming mixed martial arts fighter who is being pressured by a gang to throw an illegal fight. Kumu is arrested for stealing an artifact that should be returned to its original resting place.
Last edited by KENJI on Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 3 Episode 4: First the Beatdown, Then the Blowback (3.4)

#2 Post by KENJI »

The start of this episode is similar to the original Magnum where Magnum breaks into the estate to test the security and steal the Ferrari. He swims in, with a baggy attached to his ankle, he uses an silent whistle app to scare off the lads......Magnum doesn't have to work the lock in this one, but when he hops in the Ferrari he is greeted by two snarling dobies with ear protection on......sorry that's a real stretch. Higgins wins this round, unlike the original where Magnum beats Higgins and the lads by figuring out the alarm code and driving off, just squeaking out the closing estate gate. The original version beats this one hands down.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

Here is a quick look at the opening scene in this promo....note the ear protection on the lads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoJGSdlZCoc

This clip has Magnum and Higgins bickering over her spending time with Ethan and not spending time with Magnum on the job........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHHNv2r82e4

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:35 am The start of this episode is similar to the original Magnum where Magnum breaks into the estate to test the security and steal the Ferrari. He swims in, with a baggy attached to his ankle, he uses an silent whistle app to scare off the lads......Magnum doesn't have to work the lock in this one, but when he hops in the Ferrari he is greeted by two snarling dobies with ear protection on......sorry that's a real stretch. Higgins wins this round, unlike the original where Magnum beats Higgins and the lads by figuring out the alarm code and driving off, just squeaking out the closing estate gate. The original version beats this one hands down.
Hi KENJI,I think the scene steal from Classic Magnum was deliberate and well intentioned, the new producers throwing a wink to Magnum Mania types. I agree the ear protection is dumb,but they also want to appeal to CBS's traditional family audience and probably a lot of 10 year olds watching thought it was funny. Meanwhile Mom gets to watch the men and Dad the ladies, teen sons like the cars and the guns.I don't want to beat a dead horse but Higgins crummy looking hair and at times Good Will clothing chic perplexes me.Make Perdita wear a nice wig for the show and when off duty she can shuck it and allow some rats to nest in her hair during the off hours. Good Lord, it's obvious she is a dedicated workout fiend and insanely fit even after having two kids, so why not care about that chopped mop on her head.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paladin - "A teacher is something very special. Without teachers every generation would have to start by discovering fire and inventing the wheel."
(Have Gun Will Travel)

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by KENJI »

Hi Dobie,

I agree that this scene was a wink to Magnum Mania types and I'm happy they put their own spin on it, but they could've done without the ear protection (imo). :roll:
Also agree (again) on Juliette's hair needing work. Even if she just grew it out a bit that might soften the hack and make it easier to style. I'm sure she struggles with the humidity and wind in Hawaii too. Some scenes it's curled and styled enough it looks presentable and other times it looks like she either just got out of bed or just finished a work out and ran onto the set. I guess it wasn't an issue for Lenkov & Co. when she was hired, nor is it now otherwise they would've suggested she do something with it. On a positive note, she is super fit and the best actor on the set so she does have a few things going for her.....nobody is perfect and I guess a hair style is minor in the big picture.....even if it makes a few of us twitch. :lol: