Season 2 Episode 13: Mondays Are for Murder (2.13)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
11%
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
22%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
11%
7.5 (Decent)
22%
7.0 (Average at Best)
No votes
6.5 (Not So Good)
11%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
11%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
11%

Total votes: 9

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 2 Episode 13: Mondays Are for Murder (2.13)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Magnum and TC go undercover as efficiency experts when a corporate manager is murdered and everyone in the office is a suspect; Rick is curious why Higgins faked an injury to prevent her from investigating the case with Thomas.

Promo.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-r_EZjRNsA

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 2 Episode 13: Mondays Are for Murder (2.13)

#2 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Well, what do you know, the kudu buck made an appearance in this episode!! Well, they called it a goat but to me it's a kudu. MiniMag brings it to the estate as payment for a case he worked on. Just like in the original episode, without any of the fun that went along with it in the original.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Well, what do you know, the kudu buck made an appearance in this episode!! Well, they called it a goat but to me it's a kudu. MiniMag brings it to the estate as payment for a case he worked on. Just like in the original episode, without any of the fun that went along with it in the original.
I caught that too Ivan.....I was waiting to hear Magnum say the goat's name was Horace, but this time it was Alli/Allie the female goat.

Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

KENJI wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:Well, what do you know, the kudu buck made an appearance in this episode!! Well, they called it a goat but to me it's a kudu. MiniMag brings it to the estate as payment for a case he worked on. Just like in the original episode, without any of the fun that went along with it in the original.
I caught that too Ivan.....I was waiting to hear Magnum say the goat's name was Horace, but this time it was Alli/Allie the female goat.
And you can't shoot a kudu buck once you know his name. :lol: :magnum:

Such a simple line and yet so classic and funny. Such was the magic of the original MPI. Tom was so good at these sorts of "simple" lines.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
KENJI wrote:
And you can't shoot a kudu buck once you know his name. :lol: :magnum:

Such a simple line and yet so classic and funny. Such was the magic of the original MPI. Tom was so good at these sorts of "simple" lines.
Well, now we know Lenkov did casually watch Magnum, P.I.

He does rip little things like this here and there.

And “without any of the fun” is spot on.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Laohu »

Hi T.Q .
When I saw the episode my reaction was quite different. I thought the writers did a good job of including the goat . They gave fans of the 80’s version a nod without going for campy comedy. They also where able to to reference the chickens that Magnum excepted in season one. Magnum wants to help people it’s not about the money to him . This has been a theme you might even say a promise of public service that Magnum made to himself .
To me the writers hit just the right note with the all important goat story line .

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Steve »

It was okay, I did find the goat amusing but overall the episode just didn't have any emotion of some of the other episodes. CBS is still winning Fridays nights with H-50, Magnum and Blue Bloods.......

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote:Magnum and TC go undercover as efficiency experts when a corporate manager is murdered and everyone in the office is a suspect; Rick is curious why Higgins faked an injury to prevent her from investigating the case with Thomas.
Promo.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-r_EZjRNsA
Perdita in that orange shirt is reason enough to tune in. She is not in Digger Doyle's class but every week the director finds an excuse to linger
over her striding along, from different angles. Her onscreen time has doubled from last season, the producers must have accepted by
now that Jay will never be a breakout star but Perdita may still become one.
But can Lenkov possibly spring for a hair dresser for her? Gluing an old orange Alf costume to her head would be an improvement.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If a man's mistakes determine what he was, then what he does about those mistakes should determine what he is."
...Paladin (Have Gun Will Travel)

Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Steve wrote:It was okay, I did find the goat amusing but overall the episode just didn't have any emotion of some of the other episodes. CBS is still winning Fridays nights with H-50, Magnum and Blue Bloods.......
Blue Bloods being the best of that bunch. This past Friday was a rare night when I was home and had all 3 of these shows on. The first 2 were basically "yawnsville" (I couldn't stay focused, kept fidgeting with other stuff in the house) but for Blue Bloods I actually sat down and watched the whole thing from beginning to end. It was about a cop who commits suicide and Frank (Selleck) is forced to take the burden of the fallout on his shoulders. Selleck is so good in his role as the top NYC cop! He brings so much gravitas to his role. That plus the writing on the show is what distinguishes it from the sophomoric fluff that is Five-Faux and MiniMagPI.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Steve »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Steve wrote:It was okay, I did find the goat amusing but overall the episode just didn't have any emotion of some of the other episodes. CBS is still winning Fridays nights with H-50, Magnum and Blue Bloods.......
Blue Bloods being the best of that bunch. This past Friday was a rare night when I was home and had all 3 of these shows on. The first 2 were basically "yawnsville" (I couldn't stay focused, kept fidgeting with other stuff in the house) but for Blue Bloods I actually sat down and watched the whole thing from beginning to end. It was about a cop who commits suicide and Frank (Selleck) is forced to take the burden of the fallout on his shoulders. Selleck is so good in his role as the top NYC cop! He brings so much gravitas to his role. That plus the writing on the show is what distinguishes it from the sophomoric fluff that is Five-Faux and MiniMagPI.
I agree about Blue Bloods, it is an amazing show, well written about current events and has a cast that knocks it out of the park every episode. It is amazing that it never gets any Emmy nominations.....

Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Steve wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:
I agree about Blue Bloods, it is an amazing show, well written about current events and has a cast that knocks it out of the park every episode. It is amazing that it never gets any Emmy nominations.....
Yes, it's a real shame! Where are the Emmy noms for Selleck or other cast members??? But of course they're too busy throwing all the awards at cable fantasy dirge like Game of Thrones and whatnot, stuff I have zero interest in watching. No thanks, not into demons or witches or monsters or whatever else they serve up on that show.

sandbiscuits
Captain

#12 Post by sandbiscuits »

Laohu wrote:Hi T.Q .
When I saw the episode my reaction was quite different. I thought the writers did a good job of including the goat . They gave fans of the 80’s version a nod without going for campy comedy. They also where able to to reference the chickens that Magnum excepted in season one. Magnum wants to help people it’s not about the money to him . This has been a theme you might even say a promise of public service that Magnum made to himself .
To me the writers hit just the right note with the all important goat story line .
I liked the goat, too!