Season 2 Episode 12: Desperate Measures (2.12)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
11%
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
22%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
11%
7.5 (Decent)
33%
7.0 (Average at Best)
No votes
6.5 (Not So Good)
No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
11%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
11%

Total votes: 9

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 2 Episode 12: Desperate Measures (2.12)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Steve mentioned this will be a two part MPI/Hawaii Five-O crossover.
I found this article that mentions it too.......
https://www.thewrap.com/hawaii-five-0-m ... n-january/

When Junior is kidnapped as leverage to retrieve the stolen list of undercover CIA agents, Tani and Quinn ask Magnum and Higgins for their help.
Last edited by KENJI on Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 2 Episode 12: Desperate Measures (2.12)

#2 Post by KENJI »

Here is the promo for this episode...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_PVqS_tEA

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Laohu »

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KENJI »

Laohu wrote:Image
Nice pic of Higgins and Tani (HFO) in front of Rabbit Island.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Steve »

I thought the Magnum episode was better than the H-50 episode but that is mainly because I think H-50 has too many main characters now, and that is with Scott Caan only appearing in about 1/3 of the shows .......There were just too many plot holes in both episodes for me to rate either very high and in my opinion if CBS wants to do a crossover in the future they should make a two hour episode with just Steve and Thomas, two ex "team" members that seem to have legendary pasts.......

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Steve wrote:I thought the Magnum episode was better than the H-50 episode but that is mainly because I think H-50 has too many main characters now, and that is with Scott Caan only appearing in about 1/3 of the shows .......There were just too many plot holes in both episodes for me to rate either very high and in my opinion if CBS wants to do a crossover in the future they should make a two hour episode with just Steve and Thomas, two ex "team" members that seem to have legendary pasts.......
Steve,
I want Hawaii 5-0 to be good but this "part 1" brought back to me why I stopped watching.
Instead of good writing, Lenkov as always substitutes his trademark awkward, inept, unending exposition by the characters. Looking at the actors you can tell they
aren't thrilled with doing that either, it's a dramatic 'cheat'.
Dumb stuff:
McGarrett meets two complete strangers, Higgins and Magnum, and invites them into a murder investigation!
The two 5-0 female cops are wearing 6 inch heals - apparently stolen from Scott Caan's wardrobe - which would render them unsteady if not unfit in a brawl.
Higgins barely has time to say hello and reveals she was MI6!
Not in a million years would that happen. For that matter, with TM's background she would have been a tad suspicious from the day of his hire that he was placed
there to observe her actions, even if it was supposedly Robin who had shared her background with TM. These people don't blab to outsiders, after all how many people
knew David Niven and Cary Grant performed still unspecified services for MI6 in America before we entered the war in late 1941?
Another dumb Lenkov move has the CIA using police powers to raid 5-0 HQ and round up it's members. When our heroes are about to raid a house, the CIA arrives and
takes over - "CIA just pulled jurisdiction."
Only the CIA has no jurisdiction to operate in the USA, no police powers. It's in their charter, at J. Edgar Hoover's insistence.
In Classic Magnum (the one about Rick's bud Waldo?) Higgins observes that as well, that the CIA has no authority to operate in America.
As regards "part 2", the Magnum half of this story, it is generally better. The two guesting female 5-0 cops are Nubile City(of course, on a Lenkov series) and unlike
their male 5-0 partners can actually act. They mixed well with the Magnum cast, you can easily see them migrating to MPI once the very tired 5-0 buys the farm.
I could put up with the above negatives but someone has once again taken a rusty garden shears to Perdita's hair! That is bloody outrageous!

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Laohu »

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by terryfromkerry »

"The two 5-0 female cops are wearing 6 inch heals - apparently stolen from Scott Caan's wardrobe - which would render them unsteady if not unfit in a brawl."

Hey nephew,
your wicked wit blows me away every time. :lol: Hopefully Larry Manetti while guesting as Nicky De Marco on Five-0 gave Scott Cann one of his old pairs of "lifts" from Larry's days on classic Magnum PI. :D
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

terryfromkerry wrote:"The two 5-0 female cops are wearing 6 inch heals - apparently stolen from Scott Caan's wardrobe - which would render them unsteady if not unfit in a brawl."

Hey nephew,
your wicked wit blows me away every time. :lol: Hopefully Larry Manetti while guesting as Nicky De Marco on Five-0 gave Scott Cann one of his old pairs of "lifts" from Larry's days on classic Magnum PI. :D
Terry,
Thank you pal. We don't have a Blarney Stone to kiss here in Jersey but I am willing to kiss Sharon Stone. I had forgotten about Larry's lifts, at times on Magnum they
were quite obvious. Michael Landon must have had the biggest lifts in history on Bonanza but in fairness the rest of the Cartwrights were very big men.
After the first season he suddenly grew half a foot. In fight scenes when he is on the ground it is obvious that he not only has 4 inch heels but the soles of his boots
are built up a good 3 inches and more. Rumor has it they were recycled for Fred Gwynne's use as the 7 foot tall Herman Munster. Okay, I made that up.
We all know height isn't the measure of a person anyway, Michael Landon left behind towering achievements in Hollywood. He must be the all time leader in
hours of prime time TV starred in, counting his 3 hit series altogether. Little House appeals to all generations around the world and since it's Old West setting
doesn't age I'd bet it will be running 100 years from now, and it's all Landon's vision.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hey nephew,

Kissing Sharon Stone might be possible now that she's on "Bumble" dating app. :lol: Let me know how you get on. Obviously geographically its not really a practical option for me. :wink:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

terryfromkerry wrote:Hey nephew,

Kissing Sharon Stone might be possible now that she's on "Bumble" dating app. :lol: Let me know how you get on. Obviously geographically its not really a practical option for me. :wink:
Sharon Stone? Pffft, been there done that. Now if you have a WAYBAC time machine(from Mr. Peabody and Sherman) and Irish born Maureen O'Hara's
address in the village of Cong while filming The Quiet Man, now you are talking.
O'Hara would have been aces portraying Magnum's mom as a fiercely protective mother.
I always thought Gwen Verdon underplayed the role to such an extent that I never felt any
connection to the character. That she was miscast big time. The same applies for Carol the DA. So vanilla.
On the other hand one has to admit that over the whole series the casting was usually spot on.
Artie Canoe's large and in charge wife was great in her stand off with Luther Gillis. Most any time an Hawaiian ethnic
was needed as muscle or a henchman or cop or anything, I bought into it. I assume they tapped into the local
theater, though until a book on the Magnum series is written there is much we don't know.
It's odd there are so many books out there about crummy TV series, yet none on Magnum.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by terryfromkerry »

Agreed. Maureen O'Hara is in a different class. A lady with an abundance of beauty and dignity. Though I have yet to visit. Cong now has The Quiet Man Museum complete with walking tours, etc.
https://www.quietmanmuseum.com/

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

terryfromkerry wrote:Agreed. Maureen O'Hara is in a different class. A lady with an abundance of beauty and dignity. Though I have yet to visit. Cong now has The Quiet Man Museum complete with walking tours, etc.
https://www.quietmanmuseum.com/
Thanks Terry! I used your link, this movie is still so popular that every single item in the gift shop section is sold out!
The Quiet Man Pub in Dover, NJ become so famous that Maureen O'Hara ate and drank there twice.
The movie is almost a musical what with all the singing, maybe it should be mounted that way on Broadway.
Thanks again for sharing the link Terry.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

The Quiet Man is my favorite movie and I agree with Dobie that Maureen O'Hara would have been much better than Verdon as TM's mom. Bellasario has a track record of bad casting of moms, though. Christina Pickles was Harm's mom on JAG at the same time she was playing Ross and Monica's mom on Friends. I always thought that was ridiculous.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by KENJI »

Here is one of the better scenes from the crossover.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXcoca-JhcY

We see a little more of the wine cellar, the Bat Cave comment was good as well as the 11 digit comment, not to mention Tani loosing it on that guy.

I loved Dobie's comment about someone taking a pair of rusty garden shears to Perdita/Higgin's hair, so true!!!
I'm guessing the humidity was bad that day.....REALLY bad!
I'll give her top marks for her arms though....she is really fit!