Season 2 Episode 9: A Bullet Named Fate (2.9)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
17%
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
No votes
8.0 (Pretty Good)
33%
7.5 (Decent)
No votes
7.0 (Average at Best)
17%
6.5 (Not So Good)
No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
17%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
17%

Total votes: 6

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 2 Episode 9: A Bullet Named Fate (2.9)

#1 Post by KENJI »

A guilt-ridden Magnum follows the clues Harry Brown left behind when he was shot while working a case Thomas passed onto him; TC helps Kumu lead a protest against construction on a Hawaiian sacred site.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 2 Episode 9: A Bullet Named Fate (2.9)

#2 Post by KENJI »

Here's the promo for this episode........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut35mA9Tbsk

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Laohu »

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KENJI »

They are really getting some mileage out of the incredible wine cellar. It's showing up in quite a few episodes. In this episode there is a shot of Magnum coming down the stairs to the cellar which reminded a bit of a scene where the real Magnum :magnum: also came down the stairs to the cellar. I have to say the reboot wine cellar beats the original any day of the week. Higgins and Magnum end up sharing one of Robin's less expensive bottles of wine in the cellar after Magnum just finished replacing a $7000 dollar bottle that shattered on the cellar floor.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Laohu »

Hi Kenji ,
I agree the new wine celler is a very nice set ( no real reason to compare the two ) but I think you did hit on a interesting point. These nice sets cost a lot of money not just in building them but in taking up sound stage space . Now that you are paying to store this set even if you don’t film on it the set it still cost you money .
I have to think by using the set in multiple episodes they are able to take some of the budget from each of these episodes to help with the cost . I guess this is just a long winded way of saying that by building these new sets you can see how it effects the stories.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Steve »

KENJI wrote:They are really getting some mileage out of the incredible wine cellar. It's showing up in quite a few episodes. In this episode there is a shot of Magnum coming down the stairs to the cellar which reminded a bit of a scene where the real Magnum :magnum: also came down the stairs to the cellar. I have to say the reboot wine cellar beats the original any day of the week. Higgins and Magnum end up sharing one of Robin's less expensive bottles of wine in the cellar after Magnum just finished replacing a $7000 dollar bottle that shattered on the cellar floor.
I thought it was a nice touch that Magnum was able to replace the bottle by buying one thru Rick's distributor at cost ........I might be getting over my ski's here but I am wondering if they are going to have a Higgins/Robin Masters mystery of some kind as Thomas had a strange look on his face when asking Juliette how she could just grab a bottle off the shelf without permission .....

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KENJI »

Steve wrote:
KENJI wrote:They are really getting some mileage out of the incredible wine cellar. It's showing up in quite a few episodes. In this episode there is a shot of Magnum coming down the stairs to the cellar which reminded a bit of a scene where the real Magnum :magnum: also came down the stairs to the cellar. I have to say the reboot wine cellar beats the original any day of the week. Higgins and Magnum end up sharing one of Robin's less expensive bottles of wine in the cellar after Magnum just finished replacing a $7000 dollar bottle that shattered on the cellar floor.
I thought it was a nice touch that Magnum was able to replace the bottle by buying one thru Rick's distributor at cost ........I might be getting over my ski's here but I am wondering if they are going to have a Higgins/Robin Masters mystery of some kind as Thomas had a strange look on his face when asking Juliette how she could just grab a bottle off the shelf without permission .....
I'm sure there will be some sort of mystery about Robin as it's good for the on going storyline. To this point Robin is still just a name with no face which has us already going down that road. They could surprise us with an actual Robin where we see his face and not just the back of his head, but I think they will keep us guessing and tuning in for more clues etc. before considering that option, maybe we will hear his voice like we did in the original. Lenkov could also do a reverse of the original where Higgins thinks Robin is actually Thomas, but that would be just as much of a stretch as the original show where Thomas thought Higgins was Robin.....I know we have a thread hidden in our MM archives discussing the Higgins and Robin theory and not all of us agreed if Higgins was Robin. There were quite a few instances such as Higgins taping his resignation to Robin in the Audi that blew that theory up (imo), plus with Magnum's connections he should've been able to figure out things very easily. Having said that, they still continued on with the Robin mystery/guessing game which I never really liked. To this point, the reboot storyline doesn't support either Robin being Thomas or Robin being Higgins, but that doesn't mean Lenkov won't go there....time will tell.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by KENJI »

Laohu wrote:Hi Kenji ,
I agree the new wine celler is a very nice set ( no real reason to compare the two ) but I think you did hit on a interesting point. These nice sets cost a lot of money not just in building them but in taking up sound stage space . Now that you are paying to store this set even if you don’t film on it the set it still cost you money .
I have to think by using the set in multiple episodes they are able to take some of the budget from each of these episodes to help with the cost . I guess this is just a long winded way of saying that by building these new sets you can see how it effects the stories.
I agree with you Laohu. They need to get some mileage out of that set to pay for it, plus it would be a shame to use it just once. I'm sure we will see it in many more episode too which is fine by me as it's a great space. I would rather see that than a CGI screen with a really fake looking estate/ocean view any day. If they keep theCGI scenes as distant shots it's okay enough to get away with, but the close ups are just terrible and take away from what they are trying to sell. The reboot will always be compared to the original, plus it's fun keeping score, spotting the things that are exactly the same, similar in some ways or completely different.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Laohu »

Ok if you insist , I agree the wine celler in the current show is much nicer

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by KENJI »

Laohu wrote:Ok if you insist , I agree the wine celler in the current show is much nicer
:lol: :wink: