Season 2 Episode 7: The Man in the Secret Room (2.7)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
13%
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
13%
8.5 (Very Good)
13%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
13%
7.5 (Decent)
No votes
7.0 (Average at Best)
25%
6.5 (Not So Good)
No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
13%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
13%

Total votes: 8

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 2 Episode 7: The Man in the Secret Room (2.7)

#1 Post by KENJI »

While Magnum temporarily works as the head of a hotel' security, he investigates the death of a guest who was thrown from her room's balcony while working on a secret investigation of her own; Icepick is released from jail.
Last edited by KENJI on Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 2 Episode 7: The Man in the Secret Room (2.7)

#2 Post by KENJI »

Here is the episode trailer/promo...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbvLQpYt6mg

Lee Majors from The Six Million Dollar Man - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLs0V8T5AA and The Fall Guy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmIsMzyohqM ) is in this episode.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

Larry Manetti makes a very quick appearance (all of 5 seconds) in this episode playing the piano again. Turtle Bay (aka Royal Honua) is used as the hotel location in this episode. Magnum is moonlighting as the hotel dick for a few days and all hell breaks loose. Higgins even mentions they are moonlighting at the hotel!!! Icepick gets out of jail, but he has stage 4 cancer. Magnum is still in the dumps about Abbey dumping him, but by the end of the show Higgins and Thomas are stripped down having a couples massage (courtesy of the hotel) on the beach!!!! :shock: It sure looks like they will be going down that road.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Steve »

KENJI wrote:Larry Manetti makes a very quick appearance (all of 5 seconds) in this episode playing the piano again. Turtle Bay (aka Royal Honua) is used as the hotel location in this episode. Magnum is moonlighting as the hotel dick for a few days and all hell breaks loose. Higgins even mentions they are moonlighting at the hotel!!! Icepick gets out of jail, but he has stage 4 cancer. Magnum is still in the dumps about Abbey dumping him, but by the end of the show Higgins and Thomas are stripped down having a couples massage (courtesy of the hotel) on the beach!!!! :shock: It sure looks like they will be going down that road.
Did Larry suffer a stroke? They have had him sitting behind the piano in both appearances this season......I would have liked to have him talking to the rebooted Ice-Pick (Corbin Bernsen).....I liked seeing Juliette poolside in a bikini, Lee Majors and The Turtle Bay Resort even though I kept thinking of "Finding Sarah Marshall".... :)

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote:
KENJI wrote:Larry Manetti makes a very quick appearance (all of 5 seconds) in this episode playing the piano again. Turtle Bay (aka Royal Honua) is used as the hotel location in this episode. Magnum is moonlighting as the hotel dick for a few days and all hell breaks loose. Higgins even mentions they are moonlighting at the hotel!!! Icepick gets out of jail, but he has stage 4 cancer. Magnum is still in the dumps about Abbey dumping him, but by the end of the show Higgins and Thomas are stripped down having a couples massage (courtesy of the hotel) on the beach!!!! :shock: It sure looks like they will be going down that road.
Did Larry suffer a stroke? They have had him sitting behind the piano in both appearances this season......I would have liked to have him talking to the rebooted Ice-Pick (Corbin Bernsen).....I liked seeing Juliette poolside in a bikini, Lee Majors and The Turtle Bay Resort even though I kept thinking of "Finding Sarah Marshall".... :)
My understanding, thought I have no confirmation, is that Mr. Manetti did suffer a stroke a few years ago.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KENJI »

Larry didn't even have a speaking role in this episode.....they had someone else singing those few seconds for him. Maybe that has nothing to do with having a stroke and he just can't sing, but either way I have to agree with Conch on this one. We've seen a few pics of him and it appears he has a slight droop on the one side of his face.....again no confirmation, but it could point in that direction. I wonder what they paid him for those few seconds sitting behind the piano. I'm sure he does some of these small parts on HFO and now Magnum PI reboots to keep the all important health insurance active too.....I'm sure they would have decent coverage, but you usually have to still be working X amount of hours to qualify. I'm just guessing here and have no idea what they have for coverage as actors.....maybe someone here knows.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KENJI »

I found this interview with Jay and Perdita mentioning this episode and the black light scene and it's a great example where they should tighten up the writing a bit, even Perdita is questioning this scene. Higgins is the super spy and should know all of these tricks too or even better, she should be the one showing Magnum. There are a few other episodes where they get Higgins spy side spot on and then a few others where the writers slip up a bit and could've tightened it up, but maybe with time constraints they slipped through the cracks...who knows. Jay makes a comment about some people being surprised that the show was picked up for a second season too. He also comments on how fit Perdita is and how she always kicks butt on the show while his butt is always being kicked.
There is a time delay/lag in this interview which makes it pretty choppy....people talking over one another etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGtoqMfv6f4

In the actual episode.....I did like the scene where they found the body stuffed in a suitcase (need more of that shock value).Also, I liked it when Higgins shoots the lady hostage to get to the real bad guy. Her response was even better when the lady says "You shot me" and Higgins basically says "I didn't hit any vitals....." I can't remember the exact dialogue, but it came across as yeah so what, suck it up, you'll live..... which I do like in her character. The overall episode wasn't great tv, but still watchable especially with it being in Hawaii (imho).

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Laohu »

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by terryfromkerry »

Great to see Lee Majors still looking good and still acting. He has an impressive list of popular TV shows under his belt. Kenji already reminded us of THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN & THE FALL GUY. I recall he was also in THE BIG VALLEY & THE MEN FROM SHILOH prior to that. I love the following scene from THE FALL GUY ........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unOoc-HQOO4
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Steve »

terryfromkerry wrote:Great to see Lee Majors still looking good and still acting. He has an impressive list of popular TV shows under his belt. Kenji already reminded us of THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN & THE FALL GUY. I recall he was also in THE BIG VALLEY & THE MEN FROM SHILOH prior to that. I love the following scene from THE FALL GUY ........

The man was married to the woman so many of us had hanging on our walls...........Looking good for 80 years old!

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Laohu »

terryfromkerry wrote:Great to see Lee Majors still looking good and still acting. He has an impressive list of popular TV shows under his belt. Kenji already reminded us of THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN & THE FALL GUY. I recall he was also in THE BIG VALLEY & THE MEN FROM SHILOH prior to that. I love the following scene from THE FALL GUY ........

Thanks for posting that Terry I always enjoyed the Fallguy . I think it’s great that Peter Lenkov finds ways to include people who have a history with Magnum .

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by terryfromkerry »

I agree Laohu and the inclusion of stars from the '80's is a nice nod to that era.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#13 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

KENJI wrote:Larry didn't even have a speaking role in this episode.....they had someone else singing those few seconds for him. Maybe that has nothing to do with having a stroke and he just can't sing, but either way I have to agree with Conch on this one. We've seen a few pics of him and it appears he has a slight droop on the one side of his face.....again no confirmation, but it could point in that direction. I wonder what they paid him for those few seconds sitting behind the piano. I'm sure he does some of these small parts on HFO and now Magnum PI reboots to keep the all important health insurance active too.....I'm sure they would have decent coverage, but you usually have to still be working X amount of hours to qualify. I'm just guessing here and have no idea what they have for coverage as actors.....maybe someone here knows.
On Peter Lenkov’s social media he’ll post photos from time to time with himself and Larry hanging out together. I’m sure the work for insurance helps, but Lenkov appears to have a genuine affection for Larry.
Faith and Begorrah!

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

Re: Season 2 Episode 7: The Man in the Secret Room

#14 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

I love the light grey suit. It’s an obvious nod to Selleck’s suit in season six’s “The Hotel Dick”.
Faith and Begorrah!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by KENJI »

I found a flub :oops: in this episode where Higgins shoots the hostage and the bad guy (Tony) with one bullet which in turn frees her from him -great. The problem with that is the woman is much shorter than the bad guy so when the lady gets shot in the outer right shoulder area the bad guy should've been hit in the upper right rib section. Sure you could say the bullet deflects upward from her shoulder and hits his much taller shoulder, but the angles and entry location just don't line up.....WAIT.....it gets better.........when they get hit, both are holding opposite shoulders.......she is holding the correct shoulder, the right one and he is holding the left one.....OOPS! The deflecting bullet argument wouldn't hold up in this case. :wink: Also, the bag guy is so tall that Higgins actually has a clear shot at his shoulder. They should've had the bad guy in a crouch position lowering his shoulder to hers or picked actors that matched closer in height. :wink: Even in the stretcher scene they have it wrong. They almost had it half right though, when he falls to a knee it shows that his right shoulder was struck, but by the time he is standing and walking away the gun shot wound had travelled to his left shoulder. :lol: