Season 2 Episode 6: Lie, Cheat, Steal, Kill (2.6)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
14%
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
No votes
8.0 (Pretty Good)
14%
7.5 (Decent)
29%
7.0 (Average at Best)
14%
6.5 (Not So Good)
No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
14%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
14%

Total votes: 7

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 2 Episode 6: Lie, Cheat, Steal, Kill (2.6)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Just a title so far, but an interesting one.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 2 Episode 6: Lie, Cheat, Steal, Kill (2.6)

#2 Post by KENJI »

Magnum must help his defense attorney girlfriend, Abby when she realizes that the client she successfully defended in a murder trial is actually guilty.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

Just found this trailer......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgFiYw-zbAI

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KENJI »

ROBIN-7 is a yellow Lamborghini Urus SUV. Not fond of the color, better in black, but it's nice they are adding more exotic cars to the mix. They had a stable of cars in the very first episode and that was the last we ever saw of them....I hope they start using them in future episodes!
Abby leaves Magnum. She tells him that someone else is more suited for him and knows him better....she then looks over in Higgins direction, but Thomas the PI doesn't pick up on it. :roll:
Overall the episode was okay, but I hated when Kumu leaves her room after the fire alarm was pulled by the killer. The cops should've gone to her or better yet one should've been in her room from the start protecting her, plus there was supposedly a whole bunch of undercover cops in the hotel and the killer gets away with a lady who can't move very fast. :roll: :roll: They should've done something better with that part of the storyline.

HFO characters Kamekona and his cousin cross over in this episode. TC and Kamekona come to an agreement regarding their helicopter businesses. TC also owes Kamekona a favor and when he redeems it TC can't refuse it...stayed tuned. I never liked that HFO Kamekona owning a helicopter business storyline way too much of a stretch owning a couple of shrimp trucks!!!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by 308GUY »

KENJI wrote:ROBIN-7 is a yellow Lamborghini Urus SUV. Not fond of the color, better in black, but it's nice they are adding more exotic cars to the mix. They had a stable of cars in the very first episode and that was the last we ever saw of them....I hope they start using them in future episodes!
Abby leaves Magnum. She tells him that someone else is more suited for him and knows him better....she then looks over in Higgins direction, but Thomas the PI doesn't pick up on it. :roll:
Overall the episode was okay, but I hated when Kumu leaves her room after the fire alarm was pulled by the killer. The cops should've gone to her or better yet one should've been in her room from the start protecting her, plus there was supposedly a whole bunch of undercover cops in the hotel and the killer gets away with a lady who can't move very fast. :roll: :roll: They should've done something better with that part of the storyline.

HFO characters Kamekona and his cousin cross over in this episode. TC and Kamekona come to an agreement regarding their helicopter businesses. TC also owes Kamekona a favor and when he redeems it TC can't refuse it...stayed tuned. I never liked that HFO Kamekona owning a helicopter business storyline way too much of a stretch owning a couple of shrimp trucks!!!
In total agreement KENJI.

One other thing that's been "bugging" me....I really wish they would either bring the 308 back even if it's just parked in the "stable" for all eternity, OR stop showing it in the commercials for the show! It's like they are thumbing their noses at us...using anything and everything that suggests it's like the original, then going so far off track that it does make one wonder why they didn't just come up with a new name...but we know why...money....cashing in on the fame and popularity of the original without having to color within the lines that were drawn by it.

I don't recall hearing ANY voice-overs in the last couple episodes, and it was ONE of the things that made Magnum...Magnum! The music is so blah (other than the theme which they truncated nearly to being non-existent)....another thing that made the original what it was, (so many things...really can't "count" them all...), they used variations of the theme in many instances for background music, which helped create the reality and continuity of the show (the original I'm talking here). BUT it's NOT the original....it's a "reboot".....well.....keeping in mind the origin of the term and the definition, seems like the OS picked up a virus somewhere during the interim! "Bizzaro MPI"

Ok, sorry, I know this is the "Reboot"section...and should be reserved for discussion about the "new" show....but as far as I know, we're still allowed to voice our opinions....good - bad or indifferent.

I continue to watch...and record....though it's getting harder and harder to remember why I started doing that. More and more it looks like Thomas and Julia are headed for a "rendezvous" of some sort sooner or later....blech!

I do think the story lines are improving on occasion, but as KENJI points out....there are things that they get lazy about and just do what works for their purpose, whether it satisfies believability or not. Also agree about the long range shots of he "estate"...seems like they can't even get them the same every time....one shot shows a lot of ground between the beach and the main house...another will make it look like it's just a short hop - skip and jump! JMHO 8)

Ok.....going back under my rock now. :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Laohu »

We might see the 308 again but I think Farrari is more interested in selling new cars then promoting a car they made 30 years ago . Car manufacturers provide the cars as product placement a advertisement if you will . They do it for all the TV shows and have done it almost as long as there have been TV shows
Guessing you already knew that ?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Steve »

Laohu wrote:We might see the 308 again but I think Farrari is more interested in selling new cars then promoting a car they made 30 years ago . Car manufacturers provide the cars as product placement a advertisement if you will . They do it for all the TV shows and have done it almost as long as there have been TV shows
Guessing you already knew that ?
There is actually a red Ferrari 308 in the new ABC show, "Mixed-ish".........Gary Cole plays the grandfather, a rich Attorney and one of the funniest characters on the show drives one.
I do agree that it would be nice to see it on the reboot again.......

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Laohu »

We might still see it don’t give up hope we are only 6 episodes in to Season 2 . There is plenty of time for a appearance this season or in the future . I am not opposed to it would be nice if it could be incorporated in to a story involving something like a classic car show

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by KENJI »

308GUY wrote:
KENJI wrote:ROBIN-7 is a yellow Lamborghini Urus SUV. Not fond of the color, better in black, but it's nice they are adding more exotic cars to the mix. They had a stable of cars in the very first episode and that was the last we ever saw of them....I hope they start using them in future episodes!

In total agreement KENJI.

One other thing that's been "bugging" me....I really wish they would either bring the 308 back even if it's just parked in the "stable" for all eternity, OR stop showing it in the commercials for the show! It's like they are thumbing their noses at us...using anything and everything that suggests it's like the original, then going so far off track that it does make one wonder why they didn't just come up with a new name...but we know why...money....cashing in on the fame and popularity of the original without having to color within the lines that were drawn by it.

I don't recall hearing ANY voice-overs in the last couple episodes, and it was ONE of the things that made Magnum...Magnum! The music is so blah (other than the theme which they truncated nearly to being non-existent)....another thing that made the original what it was, (so many things...really can't "count" them all...), they used variations of the theme in many instances for background music, which helped create the reality and continuity of the show (the original I'm talking here). BUT it's NOT the original....it's a "reboot".....well.....keeping in mind the origin of the term and the definition, seems like the OS picked up a virus somewhere during the interim! "Bizzaro MPI"

Ok, sorry, I know this is the "Reboot"section...and should be reserved for discussion about the "new" show....but as far as I know, we're still allowed to voice our opinions....good - bad or indifferent.

I continue to watch...and record....though it's getting harder and harder to remember why I started doing that. More and more it looks like Thomas and Julia are headed for a "rendezvous" of some sort sooner or later....blech!

I do think the story lines are improving on occasion, but as KENJI points out....there are things that they get lazy about and just do what works for their purpose, whether it satisfies believability or not. Also agree about the long range shots of he "estate"...seems like they can't even get them the same every time....one shot shows a lot of ground between the beach and the main house...another will make it look like it's just a short hop - skip and jump! JMHO 8)

Ok.....going back under my rock now. :geek:
Hi 308GUY,

I'm hoping the 308 makes an appearance here and there during this season too! Just a quick look at it sitting in the background would also work for me. TM wears the Tigers hat which ties into the original so why not take it to the next level and throw in another Ferrari making it at least 3 Ferraris on the estate grounds....I'm sure Ferrari isn't going to mind adding one of its classics into the mix as it's still a Ferrari so they would be getting more mileage/exposure for their brand name. It would definitely create interest/hype for the show with some of the viewers who watched the original show. Fingers crossed it happens!!!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by 308GUY »

Some of my sentiments exactly KENJI.

I can accept that they blew it up in the pilot and it's "gone"....just like the "real" Robins nest...BUT WHY do they keep showing it in the commercials for the new show....it's like "this is Magnum PI...Hawaii...the estate...Island Hoppers...AND THAT killer Ferrari 308GTS!...WHY do they continue to show it in the ads right up there next to mini-mag...like "yep...that's TM....and there's that 308 Ferrari he drives"....I know...completely a matter of interpretation...but that's mine....why don't they put the 488 in that same ad...since the 308 IS gone?

So that's my beef...if it's dead...leave it out of the ads...if it's not...bring it back to the stables. I understand about the new ones being better machines....NO arguing about that at all...they ARE....but the 308 is just as much a part of what Magnum came to be as anything/everything else that is used to establish the scenario....again...IMHO. :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by KENJI »

308GUY wrote:Some of my sentiments exactly KENJI.

I can accept that they blew it up in the pilot and it's "gone"....just like the "real" Robins nest...BUT WHY do they keep showing it in the commercials for the new show....it's like "this is Magnum PI...Hawaii...the estate...Island Hoppers...AND THAT killer Ferrari 308GTS!...WHY do they continue to show it in the ads right up there next to mini-mag...like "yep...that's TM....and there's that 308 Ferrari he drives"....I know...completely a matter of interpretation...but that's mine....why don't they put the 488 in that same ad...since the 308 IS gone?

So that's my beef...if it's dead...leave it out of the ads...if it's not...bring it back to the stables. I understand about the new ones being better machines....NO arguing about that at all...they ARE....but the 308 is just as much a part of what Magnum came to be as anything/everything else that is used to establish the scenario....again...IMHO. :geek:
Hi 308GUY,

I agree with you on all points and feel your frustration....I'm hoping the 308 will appear by the end of the season and the ad is being used as a way to build up excitement....almost like counting down the days to Christmas....Lenkov better deliver a shiny red 308 under the palm tree and not a lump of coal!!! The original HFO car the Steve drove makes an appearance on occasion in the HFO reboot so why wouldn't Lenkov do it again in the MPI reboot as it would only adds value to the show. He would be crazy not too! Hang in there 308GUY!!!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

308GUY wrote: One other thing that's been "bugging" me....I really wish they would either bring the 308 back even if it's just parked in the "stable" for all eternity, OR stop showing it in the commercials for the show! It's like they are thumbing their noses at us...using anything and everything that suggests it's like the original, then going so far off track that it does make one wonder why they didn't just come up with a new name...but we know why...money....cashing in on the fame and popularity of the original without having to color within the lines that were drawn by it.
308Guy,
I totally agree with you about the 308's used in the original series. They used 3 of them:
Years: 1979, 1981, 1984
Make & Model: Ferrari 308 GTS (1979), 308 GTSi (1981), 308 GTS QV (1984)
Engine: 3.0 liter DOHC (2 and 4 valve) mid-engined V-8 rated at 214-255 hp
Carburetor: Weber Carb (1979) and BOSCH K-Jetronic fuel injection (1981, 1984)
Transmission: 5 Speed Synchomesh Transmission
Wheels: Ferrari Cast Alloys with Michelin performance tires
Color: Red (Rosso)
The reboot could bring back any of the three and I would be a happy camper, especially the 1984.
Speaking of 1980's models with fine lines, the 1985 Perdita Weeks has excellent wheels and a motor that just won't quit.
34-25-35 are excellent numbers for a 33 year old model.
If any of you Magnum Maniacs care to ever post a photo of her I won't fight you.
I'm not being lazy, it's rather that every time I tried to put up a pic it failed to appear.
By the way the talk about Jay's height has been pretty much covered by now but I was taken aback when early in this episode he comes out of the
bedroom barefooted. He stands next to Perdita and they are the same height. She is listed at 5'4''. Height isn't the measure of a actor's talent or
anything else but for a leading man hero and star of a action series it's a miracle he got cast for the part.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The world is a book. And those who do not travel read only one page."...St. Augustine

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Laohu »

Here you go Dobie is this seems to be just what you were asking for .......lol

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Laohu »

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Laohu »