Who’s Looking Forward to Season 2 of the Reboot?

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

“Quite” [YES]
50%
“Oh... My... God!” [NO]
50%

Total votes: 18

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1 Post by T.Q. »

Higgins style. :higgins:

Just curious.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

Re: Who’s Looking Forward to Season 2 of the Reboot?

#2 Post by Steve »

I look at it as a pretty good show about three Veteran friends in Hawaii, I don't even compare it to the OG. Should be interesting to see how it does on Friday nights with Hawaii 5-0 and Blue Bloods.......

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Guys,
I am looking forward to Season Two. Against the odds and despite the nitwit from Hawaii 5-0 running it, it is possible it could rise to passable
entertainment. For the hour it runs I will try to pretend it has nothing to do with classic Magnum.
There is fun to be had when producers make a hash out of a series. The firefights with automatic weapons where more ammo is expended than during the Tet offensive
without any damage to our heroes, are so bad they can provide one with a hearty laugh.
It's like watching the big tank battle in Battle of the Bulge, supposedly taking place in France during the worst winter in generations. Only it's filmed in a desert
(my 13th Armored Division vet father swore it was Fort Ord in CF) with not a snowflake in sight.
The movie ends in a aerial shot of untold thousands of German soldiers abandoning their tanks and equipment on the Great Desert of France in 90 degree weather
in December and walking back to Germany as Hank Fonda exclaims "we ran them out of gas and they are walking home."
There is so much wrong in that scenario that you just have to smile. Still the movie is highly entertaining with some spot on scenes especially with the cherry lieutenant character portrayed by Hawaii 5-0's James McArthur. But I digress.
Maybe there is hope for the coming season. Especially if Higgins does become Magnum's partner. Perdita already steals every scene she is in and dollars to doughnuts they
will find a way to put her in a bikini in the season opener. Which is reason enough to tune in.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nifty911
Captain

#4 Post by Nifty911 »

I couldn't get through two episodes of season one. Higgins getting satellite access wasn't believable, and they then really lost me at scene jumping onto the helo skid.

That said, I've tuned into the original series again, one episode per night while I do something else.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Laohu »

Nifty911 wrote:I couldn't get through two episodes of season one. Higgins getting satellite access wasn't believable, and they then really lost me at scene jumping onto the helo skid.

That said, I've tuned into the original series again, one episode per night while I do something else.
:D
I can understand the need to do something else while the 80’s version of Magnum is on . :D

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by 308GUY »

I will watch and or record.

Just watched "Limbo" and "Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts" today and I have to say, the new has it's work cut out for it, if it's ever to match either of those epic episodes.

It just doesn't make sense to even try to compare one to the other...they are different animals...with the same name.

I do think the "new" will be able to stand on it's own merits..if it lasts long enough...but for different reasons.

The "value" system of our society seems to have changed for the masses....course this happens on a regular basis from my observation...seems to coincide with one generation going out and another coming into it's own. :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Laohu »

Comparison is inevitable . The cast and crew knew it from the start and so did the rest of us . I think they have been very smart with many decisions that they have made so far .
In the end it all comes down to writing sure you can cherry pick a few episodes you like from the 80’s version and say these are good but there really are a lot of bad episodes out there to .
The new show will have the same problem the best you can hope for is to be consistently entertained by it . So far for me they have done that .
When I look back at the 80’s show I remember it fondly but when I try to rewatch most of it now I find it hard to watch . it just does not live up to my memory of it . CBS seem to really be behind the new show and moving it to Friday nights should give it a ratings boost which says to me it could be on awhile if you judge by the rest of there Friday night line up
Maybe Jay said it best “ All we can ask is that you give us a chance to win you over “ . Last season it was the show I looked forward to watching the most, looking forward to see what they have in store for us next .

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by T.Q. »

Laohu wrote:
Nifty911 wrote:I couldn't get through two episodes of season one. Higgins getting satellite access wasn't believable, and they then really lost me at scene jumping onto the helo skid.

:D
I can understand the need to do something else while the 80’s version of Magnum is on . :D
Boy, you really rip on the original (one and only) Magnum.

It’s why this site even exists by the way.

P.S. If it were my site all threads and references to the reboot would be scrubbed. :lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by 308GUY »

Laohu wrote:Comparison is inevitable .
You're right of course..."You cannot separate the observer from what is being observed.." and everybody that watched (and loved) the original has that in themselves, so the comparison WILL be made, weather consciously or not.

I still am just kind of enthralled with the fact that it has been revived, if in name only.

The original is near and dear to many of our hearts, and I'm sure the "new guy" will find the same following in the youth of today.
I mean c'mon..same scenario...PARADISE!....on a palatial estate that you are not responsible for "keeping up"..no rent...FREE FERRARI....awesome looking majordomo..who will very likely become your partner....what's NOT to love! :lol: Yea..ok..there are the "lads"...but sort of looks like a truce has been established with them..or will be, for the most part.

I'm gonna learn to like it...whether I like it or not!LOL I still love seeing the HI landscape..and let's face it..some of the stories in the first season were pretty good, IMHO. Also, I'd agree, there were more than a couple "klinker" episodes in our beloved "original" but I for one will never "diss" it in any way.

If it's hard for you to watch...don't watch it...same advise I'd have for anybody that has a hard time watching the chopped off version. (das a joke son.. :lol: )

"To each his own" or "To thine own self be true" or "Whatever floats your boat...or pulls your trigger."

My version. "I believe everybody should be able to do what they want..as long as it doesn't keep somebody else from doing what they want." :geek: :higgins: :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Laohu »

As I have said before I am also a fan of the original show . I don’t look at at it blindly though and have not really said anything about it that many others here have not said . Look no farther the then talk of episodes in this forum and you can find people saying how bad some of the episodes are . I find after dealing with constant trolling for the last year that I look at at the 80’s version of Magnum with a more critical eye .
Not really the effect you have been trying for TQ but it is the effect you got .
I don’t think anyone is buying your act anymore so please give it a rest

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Laohu »

308GUY wrote:
You're right of course..."You cannot separate the observer from what is being observed.." and everybody that watched (and loved) the original has that in themselves, so the comparison WILL be made, weather consciously or not.

I still am just kind of enthralled with the fact that it has been revived, if in name only.

The original is near and dear to many of our hearts, and I'm sure the "new guy" will find the same following in the youth of today.
I mean c'mon..same scenario...PARADISE!....on a palatial estate that you are not responsible for "keeping up"..no rent...FREE FERRARI....awesome looking majordomo..who will very likely become your partner....what's NOT to love! :lol: Yea..ok..there are the "lads"...but sort of looks like a truce has been established with them..or will be, for the most

I'm gonna learn to like it...whether I like it or not!LOL I still love seeing the HI landscape..and let's face it..some of the stories in the first season were pretty good, IMHO. Also, I'd agree, there were more than a couple "klinker" episodes in our beloved "original" but I for one will never "diss" it in any way.

If it's hard for you to watch...don't watch it...same advise I'd have for anybody that has a hard time watching the chopped off version. (das a joke son.. :lol: )

"To each his own" or "To thine own self be true" or "Whatever floats your boat...or pulls your trigger."

My version. "I believe everybody should be able to do what they want..as long as it doesn't keep somebody else from doing what they want." :geek: :higgins: :magnum:

There is no doubt that the premise for Magnum Pi is a good one so good in fact I am surprised that it has not been remade before . For this season I am looking forward to seeing if they get back to some of the seeds that have been planted . I expect that we will find out that’s Higgins’s dead Boyfriend is not dead . T.C.’s Father to be played by a well known guest star . To see Rick working but maybe not where we expect him to work . I am also hoping that Larry’s health is good enough that he can make his appearance as planed .
What I would like to see are the smaller stories . No big firefights and plenty of scenes shot around Hawaii . I really like the new version of the guest house so seeing more of the inside would be nice .
Jay has done a good job of making the role his own. Nothing to over the top a lot more low keyed then I expected so looking forward to see how he progresses.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

308GUY wrote:

I mean c'mon..same scenario...PARADISE!....on a palatial estate that you are not responsible for "keeping up"..no rent...FREE FERRARI....awesome looking majordomo..who will very likely become your partner....what's NOT to love! :lol: Yea..ok..there are the "lads"...but sort of looks like a truce has been established with them..or will be, for the most part.

Your thoughts are mine as well, plus the cast is doing a great job. I know it's hard to compare Jay with Tom but he is a good actor, I think his narrations are good plus why hate on these folks who are just trying to ply their craft. I sure don't want to see it go away and be replaced by some Big Brother type reality show....