Tim Kang cast as Detective Gordon Katsumoto

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Core 4
Vice Admiral

Tim Kang cast as Detective Gordon Katsumoto

#1 Post by Core 4 »

Tim Kang (The Mentalist, Cloak and Dagger) has joined the cast of CBS Magnum P.I. reboot. He will play Detective Gordon Katsumoto. I see on IMDB that this character appeared in two episodes (episode 6.15 and 7.04), and was played by Clyde Kusatsu. Can anyone more say about this character?

https://twitter.com/MagnumPICBS/status/ ... 5356740608

Core 4
Vice Admiral

Re: Tim Kang cast as Detective Gordon Katsumoto

#2 Post by Core 4 »

Details of character from Deadline:

Hot off the heels of its panel at San Diego Comic-Con, CBS’ forthcoming reboot of Magnum P.I. has added actor Tim Kang to the cast as Detective Gordon Katsumoto.

Kang isn’t a stranger to the detective/police series scene at CBS. He is best known for his role as Detective Kimball Cho on The Mentalist. On Magnum P.I., he will play smart and ambitious Detective Gordon Katsumoto, described as an “up-and-comer in the Honolulu PD and nobody better get in his way – especially Thomas Magnum.”

It looks like Katsumoto is gonna be butting heads with Jay Hernandez’s Magnum, wrangling at crime scenes and arguing over dead bodies But in the end, Katsumoto and Magnum are more alike than they care to admit.

In addition to The Mentalist, Kang has appeared in the most recent season of Madam Secretary, the Marvel series Cloak and Dagger as well as Lethal Weapon, American Horror Story, and Chicago Justice. He also had a role in Ava DuVernay’s A Wrinkle in Time.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/magnum-p-i ... 202430289/

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

From the Characters section on the main page:

Det. Gordon Katsumoto Clyde Kusatsu This Island Isn't Big Enough (6.16) & A.A.P.I. (7.5)
Eccentric Honolulu detective who worships at the altar of John "The Duke" Wayne. Known to spontaneously talk like John Wayne at inappropriate times. He's also an old movie buff.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KingKC »

ConchRepublican wrote:From the Characters section on the main page:

Det. Gordon Katsumoto Clyde Kusatsu This Island Isn't Big Enough (6.16) & A.A.P.I. (7.5)
Eccentric Honolulu detective who worships at the altar of John "The Duke" Wayne. Known to spontaneously talk like John Wayne at inappropriate times. He's also an old movie buff.
At least Tim Kang is not doing impressions of John Wayne. That would be taking his character and the reboot to ridiculous levels. I like Tim Kang and liked him in the Mentalist. Hopefully they will not degrade him and his character.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Laohu »

I think with Katsumoto less is more . I think they over did it a little then at the end of the season set themselves up to pull back from him and Magnum being to buddy buddy . With a cast as large as they have there just is not enough screen time for them all . They can’t lose sight that Magnum, Rick and T.C. are the main characters . Higgins is changing that Dynamic dynamic as the new Higgins is more action Oriented .