For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: Pilot to Ep2 Ratings and Beyond

#106 Post by T.Q. »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
T.Q. wrote:
In this politically correct world where you can’t joke, have fun, say anything... I’m not going to start worrying I’m offending one person for making fun of a dumb reboot.
Just for the record: You felt being attacked by ME - twice. And not vice versa
Here goes your fun, say anything.
I’ve never felt personally attacked by you.

Quite frankly, I don’t care what you think

Your mocking “traditionalists” deserved responses though.

I joined MM for Magnum, P.I.

Posting about the reboot and making fun of it is par for the course and is gonna happen on a Tom Selleck Magnum fan site.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#107 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

So, how should I better call them.

„Magnum Fans only of the Original run?“
„Magnum P.I. Only-People“?

Traditionalists is easier on an ipad and everybody knows who is meant.
If anyone sees that as an offense, give me a better term

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#108 Post by perfectlykevin »

T.Q. wrote:
Bondtoys.de wrote:
T.Q. wrote:
In this politically correct world where you can’t joke, have fun, say anything... I’m not going to start worrying I’m offending one person for making fun of a dumb reboot.
Just for the record: You felt being attacked by ME - twice. And not vice versa
I’ve never felt personally attacked by you.

Quite frankly, I don’t care what you think

Your mocking “traditionalists” deserved responses though.

I joined MM for Magnum, P.I.

Posting about the reboot and making fun of it is par for the course and is gonna happen on a Tom Selleck Magnum fan site.

I'm not seeing anyone "mocking" any traditionalist here. I do see some who have decided to watch the Reboot (for which there is a section) and post comments. I don't see that as mocking at all.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#109 Post by T.Q. »

Bondtoys.de wrote:So, how should I better call them.

„Magnum Fans only of the Original run?“
„Magnum P.I. Only-People“?

Traditionalists is easier on an ipad and everybody knows who is meant.
If anyone sees that as an offense, give me a better term
Why do you need a better term?

Why do you have to begin a post with "You Magnum Fans ‘Only of the Original’ are really gonna hate this...".

Why?

You don't see this as instigating stuff?

Just post what you're gonna post.
Last edited by T.Q. on Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#110 Post by Laohu »

How about
Old guard for original show “ I think JQ Higggins would aprove
New guard for New show “ Apollo and Zeus might approve
And if you like both you are a Magnum Maniac :magnum:

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#111 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

T.Q. wrote:
Why do you have to begin a post with "You Magnum Fans ‘Only of the Original’ are really gonna hate this...".

Why?

You don't see this as instigating stuff?

Just post what you're gonna post.
These are not my words.
Where exactly did you see that?

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#112 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
T.Q. wrote:
Just for the record: YOU complained about being attacked by ME - twice. And not vice versa
Hi Bondtoys,
I think you are feeling ganged up on for standing up for what you believe, and that the Old Guard Magnum fans consider you a heretic.
But they aren't going to put you in the Dunking Chair and submerge you like a witch in the 1700's, where an accused who sank was considered innocent, while floating
indicated witchcraft. The Catch 22 being if you sank and thus innocent you drowned.
These guys make their point with humor, and if you can engage in One Upmanship with them in the same vein you can have fun.
Like monkeys in the zoo anyone can fling poo at each other but it quickly gets old, whereas banter entertains all.
Am I wrong or did you indicate in a prior post you were from Europe? If so maybe there is a cultural difference at work here and the spirit of
trashing your friends at a get together doesn't translate well, but it's pure NYC/Jersey/East Coast and other areas standard repartee for males.
Keep asserting your views against the majority, Bond, it reflects well on you but if you were exposed to some great TV like Naked City or The Sopranos
you might well lower your opinion of the 2nd rate but perhaps eventually adequate entertainment known as the Magnum reboot.

-------------------------------------------------------------
"If the butterfly has teeth like the tiger, he'd never make it out of the hanger."
"A wolf that takes a peasant to supper probably won't need any breakfast."
Banacek(George Peppard)
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amian
Admiral

#113 Post by Amian »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Buddy, if you think picking on "traditionalists" is going to get you many sympathetic ears around here you need to think again. Even people here who like or tolerate the new show are first and foremost fans of the REAL show, not the reboot. Hence "traditionalists". So you might want to rethink your strategy. By the way, you do realize this site is for the classic MPI, not for the fake one, right? Just because there's a section here for "Reboot Talk" doesn't make this the official MiniMAG, PI site. So don't be surprised that many here hate the reboot and enjoy ripping it to shreds. I imagine that's the major draw for many who visit the "Reboot Talk" section.
Do you really see Bondtoys' comments as part of some strategy to pick on people who don't like the reboot? I am asking sincerely. Your post feels defensive and angry to me, though maybe I am misinterpreting it. In my view, Bondtoys gets piled on primarily because he expresses enthusiasm for the reboot. His grinning girl GIF is pretty innocuous, or at the very least it is outnumbered by the volume of comments and pics poking fun at the reboot.

Conch Republican explained the importance of the original and his distaste for the reboot, and I can imagine that many on this forum feel similarly. Even so, why the vitriol? You are assuming that the major draw for people who come to "Reboot Talk" is to rip the reboot, but do you know that for sure? If a fan of the reboot who doesn't know the original series googles around and finds this site, he's going to be pretty surprised by the attitudes here. And then he probably won't come back, so in that sense, you may be right that the only people who keep posting to these threads are the ones who want to join the negative parade.

I think we all "realize this site is for the classic MPI." No one is disputing that this is the number one fan site for Magnum stuff or that the original MPI is the reason this site was created. The banner says "For all things Magnum P.I.", though. Want it or not, the reboot is part of that extended universe now. Or if it isn't, then why have "Reboot Talk"? Just get rid of the threads. Or make it clear on MM front page that is not a fan site for the reboot.

You always expect criticism to go along with the adoration, but the reboot threads skew way toward the criticism side, sometimes going beyond that. One should at least watch the show in order to have something to criticize, otherwise it's just a preconceived decision to dislike something. For those who watch (but dislike) the reboot, that's fine, and the criticism is welcome. At some point, though, you might ask yourself why you're even watching or posting about something that brings you no joy.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#114 Post by Chris109 »

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#115 Post by T.Q. »

Oh My God!

People are taking this WAY too seriously.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#116 Post by KingKC »

T.Q. wrote:Oh My God!

People are taking this WAY too seriously.

AGREED!!!!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#117 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

The main thing to understand is that this site is for all things Magnum. That means all things MAGNUM PI (1980-1988) as that is the only REAL Magnum out there. This new show isn't MPI and never will be. It carries the name but that's all it carries. At the end of the day it's just a slam-bang action show filmed in Hawaii. That's it. I can create a show and call it I LOVE LUCY and expect everyone to accept it as I LOVE LUCY... but guess what... it ain't I LOVE LUCY. Because there's only one LUCY and that was Lucille Ball. Think of a banana with the Chiquita brand sticker on it. I peel off the Chiquita sticker and replace it with the Dole sticker. Is it now a Dole banana? Nope, it's still a Chiquita banana. That's all this new show has - the MAGNUM sticker. But it's a completely different show and thus can never be MPI. That's why reboots simply don't work. MPI starred Tom Selleck and ran from 1980-1988. This new show is something completely different, hence not MPI. Now, if Selleck had decided to reprise his role as Magnum 30 years later then it would be a completely different story. It would essentially be a continuation of the MPI series and thus might have a legit place on this site, since the site is for all things Magnum. But this new show ain't Magnum. You can enjoy it - that's fine and dandy - but it ain't Magnum. So its existence on this site is something of an aberration, an anomaly. Hence why folks enjoy tearing it to shreds and having fun with it. They can't take it seriously as part of the MPI universe because it isn't. It's also why we only have one thread devoted to it - the "Reboot Talk" thread.

As for civility, hey I'm all for civility, but many of the "traditionalists" here are going "Hey, we didn't ask for this so-called reboot. In fact we lobbied against it. We shuddered at the notion of some new show brandishing the MAGNUM label. And still they went ahead and gave this to us. So why should we play nice or feel like we need to give this show a chance? In fact we have no interest in giving it a chance because we don't want it to exist. We never did. We just want it to disappear and go away". I don't think I'm too far off the mark in my estimation of the feelings of many of the traditionalists on this site. :D

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#118 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Thank you for confirming what was always in my mind, but I did not dare to speak out because many would have been offended.

Nifty911
Captain

#119 Post by Nifty911 »

I have watched the first episode, and about 20 minutes of the second episode. None since. Evidently people do watch.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#120 Post by ConchRepublican »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:The main thing to understand is that this site is for all things Magnum. That means all things MAGNUM PI (1980-1988) as that is the only REAL Magnum out there. This new show isn't MPI and never will be. It carries the name but that's all it carries. At the end of the day it's just a slam-bang action show filmed in Hawaii. That's it. I can create a show and call it I LOVE LUCY and expect everyone to accept it as I LOVE LUCY... but guess what... it ain't I LOVE LUCY. Because there's only one LUCY and that was Lucille Ball. Think of a banana with the Chiquita brand sticker on it. I peel off the Chiquita sticker and replace it with the Dole sticker. Is it now a Dole banana? Nope, it's still a Chiquita banana. That's all this new show has - the MAGNUM sticker. But it's a completely different show and thus can never be MPI. That's why reboots simply don't work. MPI starred Tom Selleck and ran from 1980-1988. This new show is something completely different, hence not MPI. Now, if Selleck had decided to reprise his role as Magnum 30 years later then it would be a completely different story. It would essentially be a continuation of the MPI series and thus might have a legit place on this site, since the site is for all things Magnum. But this new show ain't Magnum. You can enjoy it - that's fine and dandy - but it ain't Magnum. So its existence on this site is something of an aberration, an anomaly. Hence why folks enjoy tearing it to shreds and having fun with it. They can't take it seriously as part of the MPI universe because it isn't. It's also why we only have one thread devoted to it - the "Reboot Talk" thread.

As for civility, hey I'm all for civility, but many of the "traditionalists" here are going "Hey, we didn't ask for this so-called reboot. In fact we lobbied against it. We shuddered at the notion of some new show brandishing the MAGNUM label. And still they went ahead and gave this to us. So why should we play nice or feel like we need to give this show a chance? In fact we have no interest in giving it a chance because we don't want it to exist. We never did. We just want it to disappear and go away". I don't think I'm too far off the mark in my estimation of the feelings of many of the traditionalists on this site. :D
Pretty much right on point.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04