Season 1 Episode 17: Black is the Widow (1.17)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
8%
8.5 (Very Good)
23%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
No votes
7.5 (Decent)
23%
7.0 (Average at Best)
No votes
6.5 (Not So Good)
No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
No votes
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
46%

Total votes: 13

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 1 Episode 17: Black is the Widow (1.17)

#1 Post by KENJI »

This episode appears to be baseball related based on these still shots............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVLLTf6XTtA

Just found this............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpVSiciYPhQ
Last edited by KENJI on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 17: Black is the Widow (1.17)

#2 Post by KENJI »

I can't believe I'm saying this but, Lenkov receives top marks for including Hawaii's Little League World Series Champs and their coach in the opening scene! I watched them last summer when they won the title and they were great. The coach doesn't even have kids and he donated hours and hours of his time to these boys to make them champs -truly inspiring! I'm sure the kids loved the experience! The episode itself was above avg. compared to some of the other ones.

Did anyone catch the black widow's name - CLEO? I think we've heard that name before :wink:

Lenkov introduced another character from HFO to the show - Duke. He didn't have a big part, but I believe he is number 3 from HFO to come on the show. I'm sure Steve and Danno will make an appearance down the road too. :roll:

I had to roll my eyes :roll: when Rick was shooting from the helicopter and Katsumoto turns in the middle of a struggle with the bad guy to give Rick a nod, thanking him for the help. Watch it and I think you'll understand.
Also Rick and TC flying out to a cargo ship to track down a car was REALLY stretching it........I doubt very much that would've ever happened and finding the container with access to the front doors would've been another stretch. They usually have those ships packed like sardines and stacked really high.....way too convenient!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GUY »

KENJI wrote:
I had to roll my eyes :roll: when Rick was shooting from the helicopter and Katsumoto turns in the middle of a struggle with the bad guy to give Rick a nod, thanking him for the help. Watch it and I think you'll understand.
I had the exact same reaction! :magnum: But hey...."it's a new world".... :geek:

I still wish they'd show Rick at "work" sometime....OR TC with a "client"...OR JH occupied with one of her clubs, charities or organizations! They do all seem to only exist to assist TSM.... :lol: (eeewww....didn't "feel" right to say HER...when referring to Higgy baby! :higgins: )
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

And is anyone else getting annoyed by all this "what would our boy Thomas do?" crap???? It's practically in every episode. Since when do Rick and T.C. worship at the altar of Thomas Magnum???? :roll:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by KingKC »

308GUY wrote:
KENJI wrote:
I had the exact same reaction! :magnum: But hey...."it's a new world".... :geek:

I still wish they'd show Rick at "work" sometime....OR TC with a "client"...OR JH occupied with one of her clubs, charities or organizations! They do all seem to only exist to assist TSM.... :lol: (eeewww....didn't "feel" right to say HER...when referring to Higgy baby! :higgins: )
I could not have said it better!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Chris109 »

KingKC wrote:
308GUY wrote:
KENJI wrote:

I could not have said it better!
You guys are the reason it was renewed.Image

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Steve »

KENJI wrote:I can't believe I'm saying this but, Lenkov receives top marks for including Hawaii's Little League World Series Champs and their coach in the opening scene! I watched them last summer when they won the title and they were great. The coach doesn't even have kids and he donated hours and hours of his time to these boys to make them champs -truly inspiring! I'm sure the kids loved the experience! The episode itself was above avg. compared to some of the other ones.

Did anyone catch the black widow's name - CLEO? I think we've heard that name before :wink:

Lenkov introduced another character from HFO to the show - Duke. He didn't have a big part, but I believe he is number 3 from HFO to come on the show. I'm sure Steve and Danno will make an appearance down the road too. :roll:

Also Rick and TC flying out to a cargo ship to track down a car was REALLY stretching it........I doubt very much that would've ever happened and finding the container with access to the front doors would've been another stretch. They usually have those ships packed like sardines and stacked really high.....way too convenient!
Not only The Little League World Champs but NL MVP Christian Yelich as well! My cringing moment is when Rick pitched to him, I have seen better releases on a 5 year old.........
I liked this one and the ending was cute as Thomas begged to come on the date between Juliette and Yelich.
I also liked when Magnum reintroduced himself to the Attorney from the computer date by saying he loved beer, especially Coops followed closely by an Old Dusseldorf in a longneck....

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Just have seen the episode and I agree about the little niggles.

Overall a very fun and entertaining episode and you can see the Magnum-Higgins relation deepen and evolve ( obviously in a different kind of way because a young and female Higgins can‘t be a father figure and I really don‘t want a bad copy of the iconic father figure Hillerman who cannot be matched).

I‘ve had some good laughs and noticed many nods to the fans of the old series, I mean they are really trying....

I really wish that Juliet won‘t be out that much when Magnum does the investigating though

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#9 Post by ConchRepublican »

Chris109 wrote: You guys are the reason it was renewed.Image

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by 308GUY »

Maybe this should be in the "What Are You Reading?" thread, but since the subject matter in this thread has gravitated toward this, thought I'd share one of my latest reading excursions:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/19-min ... gAQAvD_BwE

I ordered mine sometime last year directly from Mr. Lew Jennings himself, who also graciously included a note inside the front flap, which makes me treasure the book even more.

It's a great read, at least that's my take on it. Like I said in a "review", if you were there, or ever wondered what it was like to be there, or had friends, family who were there, this is a must read. I'm sure there are those who will disagree with me...that's ok...I'm still in America, and we are ALLOWED to have differing opinions/perspectives on everything. Those outside of the states...sorry if this post is out of line for you.

As I outlined above, I've spent a good deal of time with many who WERE there, and there are some who just don't want to ever even think about it again in their lives, but from my experience, many want to be able to share what they came away with...or without with those who they interact with daily. The past can't bring us down near as much or as often when put in it's proper place...settled and dealt with. That's kind of what Magnum's all about....isn't it? Thomas and the guys getting things squared away after their experiences in Nam.......putting the past in it's place..behind them.

At any rate, just thought I'd share the info with anyone who might like it.....but keep in mind...it's like the tv...if you don't like what's on...turn the channel...or turn it off.....always an individual choice. :magnum:

Conch: If you want to delete this post, or move it to the "proper" thread....go for it....won't change a thing for me. :magnum:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

308GUY wrote:Maybe this should be in the "What Are You Reading?" thread, but since the subject matter in this thread has gravitated toward this, thought I'd share one of my latest reading excursions:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/19-min ... gAQAvD_BwE

I ordered mine sometime last year directly from Mr. Lew Jennings himself, who also graciously included a note inside the front flap, which makes me treasure the book even more.

It's a great read, at least that's my take on it. Like I said in a "review", if you were there, or ever wondered what it was like to be there, or had friends, family who were there, this is a must read. I'm sure there are those who will disagree with me...that's ok...I'm still in America, and we are ALLOWED to have differing opinions/perspectives on everything. Those outside of the states...sorry if this post is out of line for you.

As I outlined above, I've spent a good deal of time with many who WERE there, and there are some who just don't want to ever even think about it again in their lives, but from my experience, many want to be able to share what they came away with...or without with those who they interact with daily. The past can't bring us down near as much or as often when put in it's proper place...settled and dealt with. That's kind of what Magnum's all about....isn't it? Thomas and the guys getting things squared away after their experiences in Nam.......putting the past in it's place..behind them.

At any rate, just thought I'd share the info with anyone who might like it.....but keep in mind...it's like the tv...if you don't like what's on...turn the channel...or turn it off.....always an individual choice. :magnum:

Conch: If you want to delete this post, or move it to the "proper" thread....go for it....won't change a thing for me. :magnum:
No problem with it at all, but I wonder if this actually belongs in this thread? viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3886&start=15
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by 308GUY »

ConchRepublican wrote: No problem with it at all, but I wonder if this actually belongs in this thread? viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3886&start=15
I think you're absolutely right. If it's within your power and you have the inclination, as I said, feel free to move it or eliminate it altogether.

Chances are better than not, I clicked on the wrong thread when I posted it. I just wanted to get the word out to those that may be interested and not heard already, the book is available, and a good read. (to me, at least :magnum: )

Amian
Admiral

#13 Post by Amian »

Overall, pretty good! The acting of the main cast seemed better this episode, but the guest actors were a mixed bag. Actually, the quality of many guests on the original was mixed, too, so maybe it's a nod in that direction, ha.

Rick's gun thing and the container truck were ridiculous, as were the "deep" conversations about love, etc. You know there's some cheese about to be served when the music turns into that schmaltzy muzak.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I found the setting up the dating profile quite funny.

Magnum and friends projecting something (european car importer) in a quite nerdy way and then Higgins just brushes it off and does the job herself.

Rands
Rear Admiral

#15 Post by Rands »

Interestingly enough, much of this episode was filmed at the Ko 'Olina on western Oahu. Mini Mag's "dates" were shot at the Four Seasons (formerly the JW Marriott Ihilnai), and Shiggins yoga routine was done at Paradise Cove. The truly interesting part is several episodes of Magnum P.I. were also filmed there.

In Season 2, Episode 19, The Last Page, the episode's end Higgins/Kam Chung finale was filmed not far from where Shiggins yoga routine was done. Also, in Season 6, Episode 11, Rapture, the cove used for the diving scenes is shown in the background where Mini Mag and Shiggins are speaking prior to the yoga routine. Prior to Disney's arriving at the Ko'Olina, this area was known mostly to the locals. It was truly paradise found.

My wife and I still make the annual pilgrimage there, but it certainly has lost much of it's charm. Progress has come to western Oahu, and the Second City development progresses each and every year.