Season 1 Episode 3: The Woman Who Never Died (1.3)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
6%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
6%
7.5 (Decent)
18%
7.0 (Average at Best)
6%
6.5 (Not So Good)
12%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
18%
5.0 (Just Awful)
18%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
18%

Total votes: 17

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 3: The Woman Who Never Died (1.3)

#76 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: And let's be real fellas, she is a stone fox, just watching her move is a bonus, her voice is like poured honey and if she purred in your ear I doubt any here
would object. I wish they had cast her as Digger Doyle and got some distinguished Brit actor from the West End to portray Higgins as originally intended.
Someone posted on one of the Boards here - forgot where - something about Larry portraying Ice Pick? Does anyone have a update? Thank you.
Dobie, I beg to differ... I would object to Perdita purring in my ear. :shock: I know, you said "fellas". Anyway, to answer your question about Larry, Conch said that it sounds like Larry will be portraying Icepick: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 324#p58324

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by Steve »

By the way, did anyone catch the easter egg at 37:37 ...... when the bartender at Rick's beach club hands him two beers they are Coops......
Sorry I don't know how to screen capture to post a picture.........

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: And let's be real fellas, she is a stone fox, just watching her move is a bonus, her voice is like poured honey and if she purred in your ear I doubt any here
would object. I wish they had cast her as Digger Doyle and got some distinguished Brit actor from the West End to portray Higgins as originally intended.
Someone posted on one of the Boards here - forgot where - something about Larry portraying Ice Pick? Does anyone have a update? Thank you.
Dobie, I beg to differ... I would object to Perdita purring in my ear. :shock: I know, you said "fellas". Anyway, to answer your question about Larry, Conch said that it sounds like Larry will be portraying Icepick: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 324#p58324
Hi Rembrandt's Girl,
You are right of course, I forgot about the ladies here as I was in rutting swine mode with my comments about Perdita. Especially as you are one
of the very top contributors on these spaces, as in your work exposing the new faux Robins Nest. You have earned a free lifetime tour pass from Island
Hoppers, a high tea with Agatha, doggie kisses from Zeus and Apollo, a chili dog with everything on it from Lloyd DeWitt's Hot Dog wagon, and saving the
best for last, a deluxe midnight to dawn pub crawl on Hotel Street with Mad Buck Gibson, Luther Gillis and Scrung-o, the guy in the next cell who Luther and
Magnum drove to a suicide attempt with their bickering. Hey Rembrandt's Girl, don't discount Scrung-o, he cleans up pretty good, he could wind up purring in
your ear in lieu of Perdita.
PS - Thanks for the Ice Pick info.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Hi Rembrandt's Girl,
You are right of course, I forgot about the ladies here as I was in rutting swine mode with my comments about Perdita. Especially as you are one
of the very top contributors on these spaces, as in your work exposing the new faux Robins Nest. You have earned a free lifetime tour pass from Island
Hoppers, a high tea with Agatha, doggie kisses from Zeus and Apollo, a chili dog with everything on it from Lloyd DeWitt's Hot Dog wagon, and saving the
best for last, a deluxe midnight to dawn pub crawl on Hotel Street with Mad Buck Gibson, Luther Gillis and Scrung-o, the guy in the next cell who Luther and
Magnum drove to a suicide attempt with their bickering. Hey Rembrandt's Girl, don't discount Scrung-o, he cleans up pretty good, he could wind up purring in
your ear in lieu of Perdita.
PS - Thanks for the Ice Pick info.
Dobie you had me literally laughing out loud when I read this! All of those sound just wonderful and such fun..... except for Scrungo purring in my ear. I'd better not have too many on the pub crawl so I can avoid getting beer goggles. :?

The Luther episodes are among my very favorites, and my first choice for my handle was actually "Blanche" but unfortunately it was already taken when I joined. In hindsight I suppose I should have then gone with "Luther's woman Blanche" as an homage to you and your marvelous sense of humor.

Thanks for the many laughs on the boards, Dobie! :D

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I agree that the new Luther Gillis is terrible!! I already vented about casting a Korean to play a dude with a Caucasian name, but the way he acted it's like he was autistic or something. The odd hand gestures and the way he talked, just plain weird! :? Kind of reminded me a bit of Masi Oka (Max the medical examiner geek) from the Five-O reboot, and that's NOT a good thing! Now, I haven't yet seen the original Luther Gillis (with the exception of "Home from the Sea" I haven't delved into season 4 yet) but I'm familiar with Eugene Roche and his acting so I know more or less what to expect. This Korean guy sure as heck ain't it!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by Steve »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Now, I haven't yet seen the original Luther Gillis (with the exception of "Home from the Sea" I haven't delved into season 4 yet) but I'm familiar with Eugene Roche and his acting so I know more or less what to expect. This Korean guy sure as heck ain't it!
You sir are in for a treat. My very first episode I caught in first run was Luther Gillis: File #521 and I was hooked.........

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote: Dobie you had me literally laughing out loud when I read this! All of those sound just wonderful and such fun..... except for Scrungo purring in my ear. I'd better not have too many on the pub crawl so I can avoid getting beer goggles. :?
The Luther episodes are among my very favorites, and my first choice for my handle was actually "Blanche" but unfortunately it was already taken when I joined. In hindsight I suppose I should have then gone with "Luther's woman Blanche" as an homage to you and your marvelous sense of humor.
Thanks for the many laughs on the boards, Dobie! :D
[/quote]

Thank you Rembrand'ts Girl, I have never been homaged before but it sounds rather naughty, color me red.
Regarding the Luther episodes you enjoy as well, I never understood the fans here who dislike him.
They might consider that Luther is a walking humorous warning to Magnum as to how he may wind up(which Magnum slowly realizes).
They both are writing 'How To Be a PI' books, won't commit to a woman but are still catnip to the ladies - Luther has 1950s/60's starlet Sherry North, the putative replacement for Marilyn Monroe chasing him! - and were both separated from their daughters as they grew up.
But it seems to me the Magnum writers also wrote Luther for those of us who loved the great film Noir detective movies of the 1940's. Flicks such as The Maltese Falcon(1941) with Bogie as Sam Spade and Murder My Sweet(1944) with Dick Powell as Phillip Marlowe.
Luther is the everyday workman version of Marlowe/Spade and more realistic for it while mining much humor for being just that.
Again, thank you for the kind words, Rembrandt's Girl.

"I'm at my ideal weight if I was 11 feet tall"...Norm Petersen, Cheers

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by ENSHealy »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:"I'm at my ideal weight if I was 11 feet tall"...Norm Petersen, Cheers
Sorry Dobie, but I'm a stickler for details:

Sam: What are you up to Norm?
Norm: My ideal weight if I were eleven feet tall.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ENSHealy wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:"I'm at my ideal weight if I was 11 feet tall"...Norm Petersen, Cheers
Sorry Dobie, but I'm a stickler for details:
Sam: What are you up to Norm?
Norm: My ideal weight if I were eleven feet tall.
Hi ENSHealy,
Mea Culpa, you are correct of course. I made a similar error on the Afghan Magnum Mania Board, the guy in charge there, Conch ibn ben Republic East,
put a Fatwa out on me. :D
To make up for it, let me lay this rather obscure quote on you:

""Denial ain't just a river in Egypt and Despair ain't just a tire in the trunk"
...Miss Havisham (Great Expectations)

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by K Hale »

Tastes may differ and she's a lovely girl and all, but there is only one Higgie Baby I'd want purring in my ear. :wink:

I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: I made a similar error on the Afghan Magnum Mania Board, the guy in charge there, Conch ibn ben Republic East,
Dobie, is this the guy?

karolis
Admiral

#87 Post by karolis »

Notice the clock on a wall:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: I made a similar error on the Afghan Magnum Mania Board, the guy in charge there, Conch ibn ben Republic East,
Dobie, is this the guy?

That's him! :D
Thanks Rembrandt's Girl, I got a big kick out of that.

"I'm an occasional drinker. The kind that goes out for a beer and winds up in Singapore with
a full beard"...Philip Marlowe

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#89 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

K Hale wrote:Tastes may differ and she's a lovely girl and all, but there is only one Higgie Baby I'd want purring in my ear. :wink:

K Hale,
I don't know why I assume most everyone here is male, and to have a clever mention of Charles Boyer and the original Higgins purring in your ear has to be a first. Maybe sometime you ladies might share more of the female perspective on Magnum PI and the remake?
For instance on one of the other threads on the Magnum remake there was posted a link to a column in a Hawaiian paper by a female columnist rolling her eyes,
as it were, at Selleck's chest - sooo 1980's - and how nowadays at the beach you wouldn't catch any man with body hair.
I never even knew this was a 'thing' with the fairer sex and that Selleck is passe in favor of Jay's boyish teen look.
It just seemed more of West Coast - and also Hawaii in this case - weirdness to me.
Is K Hale a reference to a Magnum character, I don't recall the episode off hand.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by K Hale »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
K Hale wrote:Tastes may differ and she's a lovely girl and all, but there is only one Higgie Baby I'd want purring in my ear. :wink:

K Hale,
I don't know why I assume most everyone here is male, and to have a clever mention of Charles Boyer and the original Higgins purring in your ear has to be a first.
The Charles Boyer line is one of my favorites of the entire series. However I can assure you I am not the only lady out there who finds JH attractive, trust me, he had many, many female fans, some of whom wrote to him with marriage proposals!
Maybe sometime you ladies might share more of the female perspective on Magnum PI and the remake?
For instance on one of the other threads on the Magnum remake there was posted a link to a column in a Hawaiian paper by a female columnist rolling her eyes, as it were, at Selleck's chest - sooo 1980's - and how nowadays at the beach you wouldn't catch any man with body hair. I never even knew this was a 'thing' with the fairer sex and that Selleck is passe in favor of Jay's boyish teen look.
It just seemed more of West Coast - and also Hawaii in this case - weirdness to me.
Like facial hair, it's just a matter of taste. I think there's a happy medium somewhere. Don't know if it's regional. I find Hernandez too pretty. Selleck is certainly handsome despite his pelt, haha.
Is K Hale a reference to a Magnum character, I don't recall the episode off hand.
It's my first initial and last name. :wink:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!