0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
19%

Total votes: 16

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 1 Episode 5: Sudden Death (1.5)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Thanks for the title Karolis!
Last edited by KENJI on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

karolis
Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 5: Death Is Only Temporary (1.5)

#2 Post by karolis »

I believe the episodes order has been switched up. Spoiler TV lists Sudden Death as episode 5 and Death Is Only Temporary as episode 6. There's press releases and photos from the episode.

EPISODE 5: Sudden Death
TC ASKS MAGNUM TO TAKE ON A CASE TO HELP ACQUIT THE FATHER OF ONE OF HIS YOUNG FOOTBALL PLAYERS WHO IS ACCUSED OF MURDER, ON “MAGNUM P.I.,” MONDAY, OCT. 22

Cyndi Lauper Guest Stars as Vanessa Nero, a Lawyer with Questionable Ethics

“Sudden Death” – TC asks Magnum to take on a case to help acquit the father of one of his young football players who is accused of murder, on MAGNUM P.I., Monday, Oct. 22 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Cyndi Lauper guest stars as Vanessa Nero, a lawyer with questionable ethics.

CHEAT TWEET: #MagnumPI and TC don’t see eye to eye on a case very close to TC’s personal life – will this be the end of their lifelong brotherhood? 10/22 9pm! #CBS @Jay_hernandez @StephenHillActs http://bit.ly/2pMWGvl

REGULAR CAST:
Jay Hernandez (Thomas Magnum)
Perdita Weeks (Juliet Higgins)
Zachary Knighton (Orville “Rick” Wright)
Stephen Hill (Theodore “TC” Calvin)
Tim Kang (Det. Gordon Katsumoto)
Amy Hill (Kumu)

RECURRING CAST:
Kimee Balmilero (Noelani Cunha)

GUEST CAST:
Zion Junk (Makoa Iona)
Sam Puefua (Hani Iona)
Tru Collins (Daisy Chase)
Elizabeth Rohm (Brooke Mason)
Cathal Pendred (Wade Steuben)
John P. Rocco (Admitting Officer)
Cyndi Lauper (Vanessa Nero)
Thomas H. Chang (Jack Tseng, HPD Officer)
Traci Toguchi (Ailana Read)
Stacy Ray (Ruth)

WRITTEN BY: David Fury
DIRECTED BY: David Grossman
Source (with photos): https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/10/magnu ... death.html

EPISODE 6: Death Is Only Temporary
AN AGING TYCOON ASKS MAGNUM TO FIND HIS LOST LOVE WHO HE SAYS JUST RECENTLY CONTACTED HIM – EXCEPT SHE DIED 30 YEARS AGO – ON “MAGNUM P.I.,” MONDAY, OCT. 29

Ben Vereen Guest Stars as Henry Brown, an Aging Tycoon

“Death Is Only Temporary” – An aging tycoon, Henry Brown (Ben Vereen), asks Magnum to find his lost love who he says just recently contacted him – the only problem is she died 30 years ago. Also, Rick and TC meet a fellow vet who is having a hard time adjusting to civilian life, on MAGNUM P.I., Monday, Oct. 29 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

CHEAT TWEET: .@BenVereen asks #MagnumPI to help find his long, lost love… who died 30 years ago! 10/29 9pm! #CBS @Jay_hernandez http://bit.ly/2pRix4N

REGULAR CAST:

RECURRING CAST:

GUEST CAST:
Christopher Thornton (Kenny “Shammy” Shamberg)
Ben Vereen (Henry Barr)
Sarin Heames (Earl)
Alexandra Marlin (Elizabeth Cole)
Jamie VanDyke (Karina)
Christina Uyeno (Librarian)
Julianne Chu (Mia)
Faith Fay (Monica)
Randy Oglesby (Reginald)
Kesha Diodato (Sara)
Makana Say (Boy)
Marina Fonseca (Girl)
Amanda Felix (Teacher)
Pasha Lychnikoff (Victor Chenko)

WRITTEN BY: Gene Hong & Scarlett Lacey
DIRECTED BY: Duane Clark
Source (with photos): https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/10/magnu ... -only.html

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 5: Death Is Only Temporary (1.5)

#4 Post by KENJI »

karolis wrote:I believe the episodes order has been switched up. Spoiler TV lists Sudden Death as episode 5 and Death Is Only Temporary as episode 6. There's press releases and photos from the episode.

EPISODE 5: Sudden Death
TC ASKS MAGNUM TO TAKE ON A CASE TO HELP ACQUIT THE FATHER OF ONE OF HIS YOUNG FOOTBALL PLAYERS WHO IS ACCUSED OF MURDER, ON “MAGNUM P.I.,” MONDAY, OCT. 22

Cyndi Lauper Guest Stars as Vanessa Nero, a Lawyer with Questionable Ethics

“Sudden Death” – TC asks Magnum to take on a case to help acquit the father of one of his young football players who is accused of murder, on MAGNUM P.I., Monday, Oct. 22 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Cyndi Lauper guest stars as Vanessa Nero, a lawyer with questionable ethics.

CHEAT TWEET: #MagnumPI and TC don’t see eye to eye on a case very close to TC’s personal life – will this be the end of their lifelong brotherhood? 10/22 9pm! #CBS @Jay_hernandez @StephenHillActs http://bit.ly/2pMWGvl

REGULAR CAST:
Amy Hill (Kumu)

RECURRING CAST:

GUEST CAST:
Zion Junk (Makoa Iona)
Sam Puefua (Hani Iona)
Tru Collins (Daisy Chase)
Elizabeth Rohm (Brooke Mason)
Cathal Pendred (Wade Steuben)
John P. Rocco (Admitting Officer)
Cyndi Lauper (Vanessa Nero)
Thomas H. Chang (Jack Tseng, HPD Officer)
Traci Toguchi (Ailana Read)
Stacy Ray (Ruth)

WRITTEN BY: David Fury
DIRECTED BY: David Grossman
Source (with photos): https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/10/magnu ... death.html

EPISODE 6: Death Is Only Temporary
AN AGING TYCOON ASKS MAGNUM TO FIND HIS LOST LOVE WHO HE SAYS JUST RECENTLY CONTACTED HIM – EXCEPT SHE DIED 30 YEARS AGO – ON “MAGNUM P.I.,” MONDAY, OCT. 29

Ben Vereen Guest Stars as Henry Brown, an Aging Tycoon

“Death Is Only Temporary” – An aging tycoon, Henry Brown (Ben Vereen), asks Magnum to find his lost love who he says just recently contacted him – the only problem is she died 30 years ago. Also, Rick and TC meet a fellow vet who is having a hard time adjusting to civilian life, on MAGNUM P.I., Monday, Oct. 29 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

CHEAT TWEET: .@BenVereen asks #MagnumPI to help find his long, lost love… who died 30 years ago! 10/29 9pm! #CBS @Jay_hernandez http://bit.ly/2pRix4N

REGULAR CAST:

RECURRING CAST:

GUEST CAST:
Christopher Thornton (Kenny “Shammy” Shamberg)
Ben Vereen (Henry Barr)
Sarin Heames (Earl)
Alexandra Marlin (Elizabeth Cole)
Jamie VanDyke (Karina)
Christina Uyeno (Librarian)
Julianne Chu (Mia)
Faith Fay (Monica)
Randy Oglesby (Reginald)
Kesha Diodato (Sara)
Makana Say (Boy)
Marina Fonseca (Girl)
Amanda Felix (Teacher)
Pasha Lychnikoff (Victor Chenko)

WRITTEN BY: Gene Hong & Scarlett Lacey
DIRECTED BY: Duane Clark
Source (with photos): https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/10/magnu ... -only.html

Thanks Karolis!
I've changed the titles around.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 5: Sudden Death (1.5)

#5 Post by KingKC »

If Magnum and TC don't see eye to eye on this case, I wonder if they will have a fist fight like they did in Thicker Than Blood.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by ENSHealy »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall a forced rehashing of TC's upbringing in the original. Why do they have to explain everything now?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KENJI »

I noticed mini Mag mentioned to Higgins that he was driving his car and Higgins doesn't correct him.
Higgins brings up the white knight/Magnum reference again while playing chess with the young boy. It sure looks like Higgins has a crush on TM or at the very least admires him. I did smile when Higgins made her sod-off comment to child services. It appears TC lives in a small trailer that looks more like a sardine can........I guess he is all in with the helicopter at the moment. The garage fight was decent until the truck entered the scene....I would've preferred a bit more gore at that point........if they're going to go to the extreme of driving a truck through the garage and hitting a guy, his leg should've been bent up some more with the guy out cold after that kind of blow. I guess that would've been too much for some of the viewers to stomach so they kept it fairly tame....too bad....a bit of shock value might help with the overall show.
I think the wife was in the HFO reboot last season as a psycho killer. Does anyone else remember her?
Last edited by KENJI on Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

KENJI wrote:
I think the wife was in the HFO reboot last season as a psycho killer. Does anyone else remember her?
Yes, she was the psycho psychiatrist who used her patients to kill for her. It was about the chess piece killer.

Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Regarding the character of Kumu, it looks like Lenkov is referencing the classic Five-O. Fans might remember that the Kumu was an organized crime organization which consisted mostly of native Hawaiians but also some other races and was very anti-"haole". McGarrett tangled with them mostly during the last 2 seasons of the show (1978-1980). The head of the Kumu was Tony Alika, very memorably played by Ross Martin of THE WILD, WILD WEST fame. I have to say he played a Hawaiian quite well. He was very good with accents. He made 4 appearances in total.

Then there's also a brief reference to the word "kumu" in the 1968 2-hour pilot of Five-O. When McGarrett is floating in the "cocoon" chamber he's hallucinating and saying the word "kumu", which Wo Fat interprets as McGarrett falling in love.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Steve »

I'm still okay with it and thought the episode was pretty darn good. I like that it was TC 'centric and at the very least they are not going to ignore Stephen Hill like the original did to Roger Mosley in the first season...I'm looking forward to learning more about this Orville and the introduction of Ice Pick.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by KingKC »

I thought it was a little heavy on the TM-TC bromance. Maybe a little too much on the upbringing of TC but it does develop the character. Cyndi Lauper was pretty much a useless character. A fairly good investigation episode. Not a major twist that the wife did it though. Pretty decent for Higgins showing compassion. I guess I am starting to accept the show for what it is: the new age MPI.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by KENJI »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
KENJI wrote:
Yes, she was the psycho psychiatrist who used her patients to kill for her. It was about the chess piece killer.
Thanks Ivan.....now it's coming back to me....it appears Lenkov has a thing for chess...first an episode on HFO and then multiple times on MPI.

Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

KENJI wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:
KENJI wrote:
Thanks Ivan.....now it's coming back to me....it appears Lenkov has a thing for chess...first an episode on HFO and then multiple times on MPI.
I was forced to watch those serial killer chess episodes by family members who are fans of the new Five-O. Otherwise I don't watch it. I'm a die-hard fan of classic FIVE-O.

Hawaii84
Captain

#14 Post by Hawaii84 »

ENSHealy wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall a forced rehashing of TC's upbringing in the original. Why do they have to explain everything now?
Hating that aspect of the show...way too much "forced rehashing." Probably because the younger generations have very little patience. And....does it bother anyone else that T.C. doesn't wear his ring on the little finger of his left hand?!!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#15 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Regarding the character of Kumu, it looks like Lenkov is referencing the classic Five-O. Fans might remember that the Kumu was an organized crime organization which consisted mostly of native Hawaiians but also some other races and was very anti-"haole". McGarrett tangled with them mostly during the last 2 seasons of the show (1978-1980). The head of the Kumu was Tony Alika, very memorably played by Ross Martin of THE WILD, WILD WEST fame. I have to say he played a Hawaiian quite well. He was very good with accents. He made 4 appearances in total.

Then there's also a brief reference to the word "kumu" in the 1968 2-hour pilot of Five-O. When McGarrett is floating in the "cocoon" chamber he's hallucinating and saying the word "kumu", which Wo Fat interprets as McGarrett falling in love.
Ivan,

I always thought Ross Martin was pretty good in that role too. He was certainly good with accents! He didn't do too many roles after that though, as he died from a heart attack in 1981. My dad loved The Wild, Wild West and I used to watch the reruns of it with him when I was little in the 70's. Fun show!