New MPI Reboot Gimmick Idea..

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

New MPI Reboot Gimmick Idea..

#1 Post by Kevster »

I just read a post about the declining ratings since the series premiere of the reboot, and I expect that the panic will cause a flight to a gimmick at some point later this season or the second at most.

So, what would be a GREAT gimmick?

How about TS, LM, and RM reprise their roles for a single episode, but completely without breaking continuity for the reboot? They just come in and assume the roles just like they've always been a part of the new universe. Now, my first reaction to that thought was repulsion, followed immediately by the idea of tainting the original since at least one or two of the three has not been acting much, it's been over thirty years and everybody is well beyond an appropriate age and/or they have some physical limitations, but it might be cool too...

And, that premise brings us back to the missing fourth man: JH. If the three returned for a one-off, then I think they should do a one-off recast for Higgins. And, if they did, what short, slightly pudgy, character actor would be able to really bring it as Higgins? A left-field thought that came to me was Phillip Seymour Hoffman, which obviously is no more an option that JH, but who might make a good Higgins one-off?

Again, the premise of a gimmick episode is NOT something I expect or that I feel real warm and fuzzy about, but I know it would be worthwhile if TS decided it would work. I don't think he'd sign on if it was going to harm the legacy.

So, the Higgins one-off actor du jour?
Trust Me!!!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: New MPI Reboot Gimmick Idea..

#2 Post by K Hale »

Some actors are irreplaceable in a role. This is one such case.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

jeffran
Captain

#3 Post by jeffran »

K Hale wrote:Some actors are irreplaceable in a role. This is one such case.
Yes. It's difficult to think of anyone, although I'm open to suggestions, who could fill that role. It wouldn't have to be an actor who was physically like JH, but it would need to be someone with the same presence, charm, gravitas (are all those the same thing?) and ability. Who, indeed?

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Make it two such cases! :magnum: :higgins:

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Kevster »

I know they are irreplaceable, but it's still a cool exercise.

I'd say that the Higgins role should be a bit shorter than TM. That contrast helped give that extra layer of gravitas to Higgins. His gravitas was counter to the physical difference in height. Just like Jay H. doesn't have that physical presence that TS had in the role, a taller actor in the Higgins role wouldn't have had the counter-intuitive sense of physicality.
Trust Me!!!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by K Hale »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
Make it two such cases! :magnum: :higgins:
Indeed. I only single out JH because the scenario has Selleck reprising his role.

This would be like the Star Wars franchise getting another actress to play Leia since Carrie Fisher is dead. If someone is that iconic you just have to write around them not being there. It would be very jarring to do otherwise.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Riverratsbu 26
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#7 Post by Riverratsbu 26 »

Kevster wrote:I just read a post about the declining ratings since the series premiere of the reboot, and I expect that the panic will cause a flight to a gimmick at some point later this season or the second at most.

So, what would be a GREAT gimmick?

How about TS, LM, and RM reprise their roles for a single episode, but completely without breaking continuity for the reboot? They just come in and assume the roles just like they've always been a part of the new universe. Now, my first reaction to that thought was repulsion, followed immediately by the idea of tainting the original since at least one or two of the three has not been acting much, it's been over thirty years and everybody is well beyond an appropriate age and/or they have some physical limitations, but it might be cool too...

And, that premise brings us back to the missing fourth man: JH. If the three returned for a one-off, then I think they should do a one-off recast for Higgins. And, if they did, what short, slightly pudgy, character actor would be able to really bring it as Higgins? A left-field thought that came to me was Phillip Seymour Hoffman, which obviously is no more an option that JH, but who might make a good Higgins one-off?

Again, the premise of a gimmick episode is NOT something I expect or that I feel real warm and fuzzy about, but I know it would be worthwhile if TS decided it would work. I don't think he'd sign on if it was going to harm the legacy.

So, the Higgins one-off actor du jour?
Kevster;
TS :magnum: said in an interview once,(I am paraphrasing here) to do Magnum again, it would take all the stars to align. The timing, the script, everything has to be right. While he has publicly said he is open to the idea of playing Magnum again, knowing the person he is and what he stands for, he doesn't want to compromise his acting ethics and do a performance that is less than the quality of the original. Hollywood has already offered him a boat load of money and it has not happened. It probably never will. To answer your question, a good one off Higgins, nobody can replace the original :higgins:. But as a cousin or another illegitimate brother might be Sir Anthony Hopkins, Sir Micheal Caine, Terrence Stamp, Jeremy Irons, or even John Cleese.

shaun082
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#8 Post by shaun082 »

They should have had Jay Hernandez being the love child from Magnum and Linda Lee, and Shiggins being the niece of higgie baby or the child of Higgie baby and Agatha.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by KingKC »

This whole reboot is just another in an increasing line of gimmick TV shows. As far as the new MPI goes, I wonder when they will recreate Mac/Jim Bonnick or Agatha or Carol Baldwin. Do you think the new Magnum will "break the fourth wall?" Will the new Higgins have look-alike half sisters?? When is Icepick going to show up? The list can get absurd. How about a new Simon and Simon appearance or a J.B. Fletcher???

Gatchaman
Lieutenant Commander

#10 Post by Gatchaman »

Riverratsbu 26 wrote:TS :magnum: said in an interview once,(I am paraphrasing here) to do Magnum again, it would take all the stars to align. The timing, the script, everything has to be right.
This is precisely what Scott Bakula said about doing a continuation of Quantum Leap. The actors want it, the fans want it, and even Don Bellisario wants it. The stars just haven't linned up yet.
Commander of G-Force
Magnum's Secret Weapon

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Kevster »

I would say that TS meant that wholeheartedly, but the calculus changes when there is an active reboot that will likely be struggling into a second season.

Can't replace JH really. They'd have to honor him SOMEHOW. The thing is: the current gimmick hasn't taken off. Since the premiere, it's been pretty lackluster. If they talked TS into it, and he is likely at the tail end of his career, it might be a chance to say goodbye. Also, it would probably be a ratings win, and that would actually help cement the appeal of the original cast.

It might be a desperate attempt that Lenkov could try to boost the show, but it would likely backfire. A big ratings bump for the one-time cast revival would cement the lack of real appeal of the new cast. You can't polish a @^%*…

;-)
Trust Me!!!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by K Hale »

Selleck has said in the past that he won’t appear in any Magnum TV show or movie in which he’s not playing Magnum.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!