Respect to Marta & Why a REBOOT, Why not a continuation?????

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Riverratsbu 26
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Respect to Marta & Why a REBOOT, Why not a continuation?????

#1 Post by Riverratsbu 26 »

Good Morning all;
First. let me say, I hope the Reboot pays RESPECT to the recent passing of Marta DuBois, and DOES NOT reintroduce the character of Michelle Hue or any modernization/modification of that character. This Magnum can find somebody else. Marta DuBois ironically passed on the 30th anniversary of the airing date of the last episode, MAY 8, 2018, so in a way, you can say Marta/Michelle was true to Magnum until the end.

Second
My question is why a reboot and not a continuation??

In the "New" Magnum Ep 1, Magnum is donning his scuba gear to go look for the gold in the sunken vessel. Rick says to Magnum "I am not out here to watch you get eaten by sharks" Magnum responds "I will be O.K. sharks only like white meat".
This is the perfect line for Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV!!! Not a "New" T.S.M. lll !!!

In the last episode of the original Magnum P.I. we see Magnum with Lily Catherine, but we also see Magnum begin to rekindle his relationship with Linda Lee Ellison. Well it "would" have been believable for Magnum to eventually have married Linda Lee, and have a boy,
named T.S.M. IV. The time line would be a little tight but somewhat believable for him to have been a NAVY SEAL in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Riverratsbu26 OUT!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Respect to Marta & Why a REBOOT, Why not a continuation?

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

Riverratsbu 26 wrote:Good Morning all;
First. let me say, I hope the Reboot pays RESPECT to the recent passing of Marta DuBois, and DOES NOT reintroduce the character of Michelle Hue or any modernization/modification of that character. This Magnum can find somebody else. Marta DuBois ironically passed on the 30th anniversary of the airing date of the last episode, MAY 8, 2018, so in a way, you can say Marta/Michelle was true to Magnum until the end.

Second
My question is why a reboot and not a continuation??

In the "New" Magnum Ep 1, Magnum is donning his scuba gear to go look for the gold in the sunken vessel. Rick says to Magnum "I am not out here to watch you get eaten by sharks" Magnum responds "I will be O.K. sharks only like white meat".
This is the perfect line for Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV!!! Not a "New" T.S.M. lll !!!

In the last episode of the original Magnum P.I. we see Magnum with Lily Catherine, but we also see Magnum begin to rekindle his relationship with Linda Lee Ellison. Well it "would" have been believable for Magnum to eventually have married Linda Lee, and have a boy,
named T.S.M. IV. The time line would be a little tight but somewhat believable for him to have been a NAVY SEAL in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Riverratsbu26 OUT!
First, welcome Riverratsbu26!!

Regarding a "continuation", that is something that has come up here in the past. Actually, about 2 years ago Eva Longoria was working on just that idea, based around Lily "Tommy (?!?)" Magnum. All things considered, this would have been the best idea since it would leave open the possibility of a return of familiar faces.

As for honoring Marta DuBois, that would have been nice, in fact something noting the passing of Hillerman should have been a priority as well, but considering MiniMag couldn't even put the ring on correctly we're asking maybe a bit too much.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by K Hale »

ConchRepublican wrote: Regarding a "continuation", that is something that has come up here in the past. Actually, about 2 years ago Eva Longoria was working on just that idea, based around Lily "Tommy (?!?)" Magnum. All things considered, this would have been the best idea since it would leave open the possibility of a return of familiar faces.
Lily as a PI, with Juliet Higgins as some kind of relative of JQH, would have had a shot at being passably watchable. Not only does it make sense and honor the original, it would feature two potentially strong female characters in the starring roles, just as the original had two strong male characters in the starring roles.

But noooooooooooooooooooooo....
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Riverratsbu 26
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#4 Post by Riverratsbu 26 »

Juliet Higgins being a relative(niece) of Higgins is believable, considering all of Higgins brothers that showed up during the original series, and there is still room for a few we didn't see. The Eva Longloria part I would have to see.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by T.Q. »

K Hale wrote: Lily as a PI, with Juliet Higgins as some kind of relative of JQH, would have had a shot at being passably watchable. Not only does it make sense and honor the original, it would feature two potentially strong female characters in the starring roles, just as the original had two strong male characters in the starring roles.

I was really interested when this was floating around.

Could have had her start the pilot: “It’s funny the things a grown woman will do for a living...”

Lily, P.I.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Kevster »

T.Q. wrote:
K Hale wrote: Lily as a PI, with Juliet Higgins as some kind of relative of JQH, would have had a shot at being passably watchable. Not only does it make sense and honor the original, it would feature two potentially strong female characters in the starring roles, just as the original had two strong male characters in the starring roles.

Could have had her start the pilot: “It’s funny the things a grown woman will do for a living...”

Lily, P.I.
:lol: :oops:
Trust Me!!!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#7 Post by ConchRepublican »

Kevster wrote:
T.Q. wrote:

Lily, P.I.
:lol: :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Steve »

Riverratsbu 26 wrote:Good Morning all;
It was mentioned twice in the reboot that Thomas had a woman in his past. My guess is that it will be an extremely exotic middle-eastern woman named Michelle.....

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Reef monkey »

It's going to be really hard to pull off the idea that Magnum had a romance, let alone married, a local woman he met in Afghanistan, given the very strict muslim culture there that would have precluded her marrying a nonmuslim, even if he had been able to get to know one, which was pretty unlikely given the nature of this war compared to Vietnam. Our boys weren't exactly spending their off-duty hours roaming the streets of Kabul barhopping like they did in Saigon 50 years ago.

So sad to hear that Marta Dubois passed.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Kevster »

Reef monkey wrote:It's going to be really hard to pull off the idea that Magnum had a romance, let alone married, a local woman he met in Afghanistan, given the very strict muslim culture there that would have precluded her marrying a nonmuslim, even if he had been able to get to know one, which was pretty unlikely given the nature of this war compared to Vietnam. Our boys weren't exactly spending their off-duty hours roaming the streets of Kabul barhopping like they did in Saigon 50 years ago.

So sad to hear that Marta Dubois passed.
The military angle should provide a logical foreign locale where he would have been stationed when they would have met and married. Trying to tie it to Afghanistan seems illogical, though logic is not the coin of the realm...
Trust Me!!!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Lenkov will make the mystery woman a CIA agent or some kind of spy. That's the only thing he knows how to write. Steve's girlfriend Catherine left him for the CIA, his mother is CIA, and on tonight's premiere there's going to be an old girlfriend of Steve's who's also a CIA agent. Lori Weston started out as spy for the governor/FBI and even that blond chick that they wrote in for Chin was a "spy" for the FBI. Lenkov has one story to tell, he only changes the names each time he tells it.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by K Hale »

To be fair, wasn't Michelle sort of a spy?
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Yeah she was, but DPB didn't continuously use that same plotline on the same show.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Reef monkey »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:Lenkov will make the mystery woman a CIA agent or some kind of spy. That's the only thing he knows how to write. Steve's girlfriend Catherine left him for the CIA, his mother is CIA, and on tonight's premiere there's going to be an old girlfriend of Steve's who's also a CIA agent. Lori Weston started out as spy for the governor/FBI and even that blond chick that they wrote in for Chin was a "spy" for the FBI. Lenkov has one story to tell, he only changes the names each time he tells it.
God, you're so right. Even Steve, he couldn't just be a police officer like the original McGarrett, he had to be involved in the intel/black ops community as a Navy SEAL. It's like that show is written by a 14 year old boy, it's all explosions, CIA agents and Navy SEALs, and all the women wear revealing skintight clothing that is totally impractical for running down perps.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:Lenkov will make the mystery woman a CIA agent or some kind of spy.
Hi MagnumsLeftShoulder... yep, back on the first page of our pilot thread http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3602 it was mentioned that "Magnum has some history with a woman named Hannah. It didn't end well, but she was his CIA contact and girlfriend for a mission in North Korea years ago that Robin uses in his new book."