Season 1 Episode 1: I Saw the Sun Rise - Pilot (1.1)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
2%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
7%
7.5 (Decent)
7%
7.0 (Average at Best)
16%
6.5 (Not So Good)
9%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
27%
5.0 (Just Awful)
16%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
18%

Total votes: 45

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 1: I Saw the Sun Rise - Pilot (1.1)

#46 Post by Reef monkey »

USA Network was making shows like this up until recently during its "Blue Skies" period. I don't know if they stopped (I canceled cable about 5 years ago). Shows like Psych, Burn Notice, etc. I liked them. I don't really care for the "gritty" and dark turn a lot of network TV has taken, to try to keep up with cable and streaming.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I thought the writing and acting was absolutely atrocious. I understand Lenkov brought Kimee Balmilero/Dr. Cuhna over from H50, but really? They couldn't find anyone to fill that role who could actually act?! Same for Sung Kang. Bad.

Jay Rodriguez certainly didn't disappoint in confirming that he was wrong, wrong, wrong for the role. His performance was flat and his monotone narratives.... ugh. He's just ho-hum. No personality, no appeal, no charm.

It's sad to me really... they could have done sooooo much better with this reboot. :(

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

eagle wrote:
Rands wrote:The Magnum P.I. Theme: What the hell was that? Couldn't the producers and directors have simply used the classic, and gone with known success? Obviously not!
Yes yes yes yes. In my opinion they destroyed this theme song in the way the first remake of the H50 theme song destroyed that one. The H50 remake-remake of their original remake was much better. Hopefully they do the same with this show's theme song.
The Equipment: Apparently Ferrari destruction is one of Mini Mag's hobbies. I have voiced my opinion of the destruction of Robin 1, which of course could have been a wonderful commonality between the shows. Too bad the reboot didn't consider this.
I hadn't thought of this, but now both the “original” Robin 1 Ferrari 308 and the original Pahonu estate are now destroyed. How utterly needless on the part of the 308, and how tragic — if I can use that word here — on both counts.
The acting certainly wasn't up to standard, despite having a large budget, and a great deal of time. James Remar was clearly the exception.
A friend came over to watch the show with me last night. We all had the same reaction: At one of the commercial breaks my friend said something about low budget actors.
So what was the point of this scoring session? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3ekDa06IYY When all we heard in the intro was a 10-second sound byte.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by eagle »

MagnumILWU wrote:I think one of the reasons I want to like this show, is that it's the type of TV show I enjoy, and they really don"t make anymore! A PI series, with action, adventure, comedy, and drama, where all the characters aren't head cases! The main character, his group of friends, getting into little adventures each week! It's not a cop-crime, medical,courtroom,military, superpowers-special abilities, teen or adult angst show! It's a new show where the characters don't look like they are all 12! Are there any other shows like that on TV now? That was what I liked about our Magnum, and so many other shows in the 80's! I just don't know of any other shows like that now! I know it isn't the 80's, and I know this isn't our Magnum! And i do want to enjoy it, just for the fun of it!
I want to enjoy it too. Detective shows are my favorites -- Rockford Files, Simon & Simon, Psych, Monk, Castle, Burn Notice, RealMagnum. I like procedural dramas like Law & Order, and medical dramas like Saving Hope and ER. A current favorite is Rizzoli & Isles (Hulu rocks).

I just didn't find this new MPI show enjoyable. Like you, I wanted to, but I didn't.

Today on Cozi they were showing "J Digger Doyle." Now, that's one of my all-time favorites from the original series, but it's also one of the earlier episodes, being s1e17. I bring it up here because it is a much better episode than what we saw last night. I mean, I also think that "Don't Eat The Snow In Hawaii" was a better episode than what we saw last night, and that's the first time we were ever introduced to these characters...

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Some random notes...

Odd that they used the same actor for both the defector from Robin's book and Kim the food vendor.

I was confused by the intentional malasada sugar on Jay's lips for that entire scene. Was that supposed to be sexy? Boyish charm?

Nuzo was apparently the only guy who got a razor in the POW camp.

They certainly made Rick a doofus, but I enjoyed Zach Knighton's performance.

The overly obvious loaf of Love's Bakery bread got more screen time than Stephen Hill.

Unless I missed something, the title had no connection to the episode whatsoever.

karolis
Admiral

#51 Post by karolis »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Unless I missed something, the title had no connection to the episode whatsoever.
Magnum was saved by Nuzo in POW camp. That’s how i read it.

Gatchaman
Lieutenant Commander

#52 Post by Gatchaman »

Rands wrote:My perfect ending for the pilot, would have been Tom Selleck waking up in bed, under the mosquito net, in the guest house, akin to the episode FLASHBACK, Season 3 Episode 7, saying "I had the worst dream!".
That would actually be a great way to end the series, or turn it around into a continuation--like "Murphy Brown" and "Will & Grace"--rather than this reboot.
Commander of G-Force
Magnum's Secret Weapon

jeffran
Captain

#53 Post by jeffran »

Am I the only one who found it odd that an owner of at least 3 Ferraris (2 contemporary and 1 classic) would also own a Lamborghini?

Just another little detail that makes the show feel inauthentic to me.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

karolis wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Unless I missed something, the title had no connection to the episode whatsoever.
Magnum was saved by Nuzo in POW camp. That’s how i read it.
Thanks karolis.... so you're saying the title had to do with Magnum living to see another sun rise? That makes sense.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I thought the writing and acting was absolutely atrocious. I understand Lenkov brought Kimee Balmilero/Dr. Cuhna over from H50, but really? They couldn't find anyone to fill that role who could actually act?! Same for Sung Kang. Bad.

Jay Rodriguez certainly didn't disappoint in confirming that he was wrong, wrong, wrong for the role. His performance was flat and his monotone narratives.... ugh. He's just ho-hum. No personality, no appeal, no charm.

It's sad to me really... they could have done sooooo much better with this reboot. :(
I agree with all of your points here RG, especially with his narratives - terrible! I can picture Selleck at home with his feet up, smiling, letting out a little giggle while puffing on a cigar. :magnum:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by T.Q. »

Another question I forgot to ask Monday night?

Why did MiniMag have his gun going over to Nuzo’s house?

Magnum never just carried his gun around like a cop. Especially going to a friends house or the club.

Actually Thomas at times specifically said ‘why would I have brought my gun?’.

:wink:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I have another question, too.... shouldn't he have a scar?

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by eagle »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I have another question, too.... shouldn't he have a scar?]
I have another question: Who puts on clothes without drying off first? I get that TS did in s1e1, but he swam up to the estate!!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

eagle wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I have another question, too.... shouldn't he have a scar?]
I have another question: Who puts on clothes without drying off first? I get that TS did in s1e1, but he swam up to the estate!!
Haha right... I think the answer/reasoning is discussed between T.Q. & Styles http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3779

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by T.Q. »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I have another question, too.... shouldn't he have a scar?

Whodathunk the ladies prefer hairless hunks these days too. :wink:

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.