Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Who is watching tonight?

Absolutely, very excited!
7%
I’m going to give it a chance.
29%
I’ll watch it with some trepidation.
18%
I’m going to watch it just so I can knowledgeably gripe about how bad it was in the morning.
21%
I may tune in for a little bit to see what it’s like.
No votes
I’m not going to sully my memories of the original series with this abomination.
25%

Total votes: 28

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: Who’s watching tonight?

#16 Post by eagle »

I give the theme song a D.

So far the show is a C. Not really my kind of show. It's a different Magnum.

NotthatRick
Admiral

#17 Post by NotthatRick »

Would rather sit through a root canal. No, I will not be watching.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by T.Q. »

9:21pm

It’s garbage.

Like the dialogue isn’t even natural... like sentences being read out back and forth.

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Levidale
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#19 Post by Levidale »

This is HORRIBLE!! Anyone notice his gun sounds like a 9mm instead of a 45! JUNK JUNK!!! I’ve turned it offf! NEVER AGAIN!!

NOT MY MAGNUM!!

dobermook
Ensign

#20 Post by dobermook »

I wanted to like it, but it’s hard to watch.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Steve »

I'm giving it a B plus....Would have been an A if they didn't have the silly wrecking the 308 scene. Opening with Thunderstruck ruled and I still say all of the leads are A-1 actors thrust into a very difficult situation........
Come on writers, keep up the good job...

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Reef monkey »

Steve wrote:5 minutes to the premier and I'm all in........How about a letter grade by everyone when it is done............
F minus.

Edit: can I change my grade to “kill it with fire”?
Last edited by Reef monkey on Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

jeffran
Captain

#23 Post by jeffran »

Steve wrote:5 minutes to the premier and I'm all in........How about a letter grade by everyone when it is done............
C-

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Reef monkey »

Levidale wrote:This is HORRIBLE!! Anyone notice his gun sounds like a 9mm instead of a 45! JUNK JUNK!!! I’ve turned it offf! NEVER AGAIN!!

NOT MY MAGNUM!!
I believe it is a 9mm. I think a Sig. Of course TS fires a 9mm back in the day because back then they couldn’t make .45 ACP blanks that reliably cycled a semiautomatic.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:

shaun082
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#25 Post by shaun082 »

Really bad you can already see the love connection between MANGUM and SHIGGINS. I put MANGUM because I refuse to call jay hernandez MAGNUM. The guy playing Rick was funny, and TC didn’t get enough screen time to get a review but this is horrible. This is a slap in the face of every person who played in the original.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Reef monkey »

“Shiggins”, that’s funny. I like Mangum too, because there is a street in Houston called Mangum and when I was a little kid I thought it was called Magnum.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by ENSHealy »

I give it a C. It wasn't bad. It wasn't great. It was better than I expected, but I had very low expectations.

It was just off a little. The little details just missed.

1. The red part of the Rolex Pepsi bezel was too faded.
2. The Croix de Lorraine exposition was kludgy and unnecessary. It was never explained the first time around and we all just got it.
3. The real Thomas said just "investigator" or "I prefer investigator" not "private investigator" with a snarky tone when correcting the "private eye" faux pas.
4. The real Thomas said "I know what you're thinking" not "Yeah, I know what you're thinking" and he only said it when he assumed the audience thought he was doing something stupid, not when he was assuming they were thinking what a sweet life he had.
5. Buck Greene was a Marine. Remar was good, but he was Navy. And under-decorated for his age. He should have been Captain Cooley, with a future Buck Greene to come later.
6. Tanaka was a prick. The real Tanaka was not a prick. He was adversarial, but he was classy about it.
7. The lads would not shit in the guest house. That was stupid and tasteless.

All of these things could have been done "correctly" and I think new viewers wouldn't have noticed the difference and old fans would have been happier. Why not go with the win win?

That being said, I loved that the new Magnum brought the M.E. donuts. Nice Mac touch.

Female Higgins didn't bother me as much as I thought, but she was too quick to jump in and help and I just can't stand the idea of the romance angle.

The "I lost my Dad too" speech with the doe-eyed kid was on OK idea, but it just didn't ring true.

How much does a gold bar weigh anyway? And it's Saddam's gold? Those guys weren't old enough to have gotten in on Saddam's gold, that was 15 years ago.

Also, when did Marines and Navy officers start getting to wear beards and goatees in dress uniforms? Seal Teams in the field, that's one thing, but dress uniforms for funerals? TM cut his hair and trimmed the mustache when he wanted to sneak back on base.

Last but not least, the truck/cliff scene was better in the show than in the trailer. At least in the show, he goes from the car to the chopper skid, not from the car to the truck to the chopper skid. Still pure fantasy, but maybe because they shortened the scene the CGI didn't stand out as much. Whatever it was, it worked a little better. Still ridiculous, but I cringed less than I did when I watched the trailer.

I will be curious to see how the first few episodes go.

But I still reserve the right to order them all off my lawn.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by eagle »

ENSHealy wrote:I give it a C. It wasn't bad. It wasn't great. It was better than I expected, but I had very low expectations.

It was just off a little. The little details just missed.

1. The red part of the Rolex Pepsi bezel was too faded.
2. The Croix de Lorraine exposition was kludgy and unnecessary. It was never explained the first time around and we all just got it.
3. The real Thomas said just "investigator" or "I prefer investigator" not "private investigator" with a snarky tone when correcting the "private eye" faux pas.
4. The real Thomas said "I know what you're thinking" not "Yeah, I know what you're thinking" and he only said it when he assumed the audience thought he was doing something stupid, not when he was assuming they were thinking what a sweet life he had.
5. Buck Greene was a Marine. Remar was good, but he was Navy. And under-decorated for his age. He should have been Captain Cooley, with a future Buck Greene to come later.
6. Tanaka was a prick. The real Tanaka was not a prick. He was adversarial, but he was classy about it.
7. The lads would not shit in the guest house. That was stupid and tasteless.

All of these things could have been done "correctly" and I think new viewers wouldn't have noticed the difference and old fans would have been happier. Why not go with the win win?
Totally agree with everything you said here, including the C.
That being said, I loved that the new Magnum brought the M.E. donuts. Nice Mac touch.
I was off tonight - I didn't catch that. Yes, I agree with you - nice touch.
Female Higgins didn't bother me as much as I thought, but she was too quick to jump in and help and I just can't stand the idea of the romance angle.
Agreed - it bothered me that she was so quick to help. Real Higgins would not have done that, especially so early in the series.
The "I lost my Dad too" speech with the doe-eyed kid was on OK idea, but it just didn't ring true.
Are you reading my mail?
Last but not least, the truck/cliff scene was better in the show than in the trailer. At least in the show, he goes from the car to the chopper skid, not from the car to the truck to the chopper skid. Still pure fantasy, but maybe because they shortened the scene the CGI didn't stand out as much. Whatever it was, it worked a little better. Still ridiculous, but I cringed less than I did when I watched the trailer.
I thought that as well. The trailer was completely ridiculous. It was less bad in the actual show.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

My eyes are hurting... that's how much eye-rolling I did :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :D

The weird thing is that this show actually has MANY more callbacks to the original show than the new Five-0 does to its old show, and yet it somehow comes across even more lame than Five-0. I think that's because every single callback they give us only serves to remind us how much BETTER it was on the old show. At this point I actually think if the show went off to do its own unique thing it would actually be better, kind of like what the new Five-0 is doing (even though it still sucks lol). That's why I always say give us a new show set in beautiful Hawaii and have it do its own unique thing without calling it FIVE-0 or MAGNUM because they aren't and can never be those shows. It's just not possible. You can't recapture that old magic.

I also hated how in just 1 hour Hernandez in his narration pretty much explained every single beat and callback to the original show. It's just so cheesy and lame, like they're really desperate to draw in as many people as they can from the very first episode. On the original show these things were revealed to us as the show progressed (and not necessarily through narration), we learned about the characters slowly - all their quirks and nuances. Here it's like they had a checklist of here are the 25 things that we need to explain and spoon-feed to the audience.

Also this new Tanaka??? Horrible. Just some boring HPD detective. Remember Kwan Hi Lim and his mannerisms?? That guy was pure genius! He was basically a Hawaiian Columbo! I loved him!! This show just has no heart. These characters are just placeholders. Read the lines and move on.

I immediately recognized that pink box of malasadas (from Leonard's Bakery on Kapahulu) because I bought one just like that when I was there 2 months back. :) Good stuff! Funny thing is when Hernandez brought in that box to the ME for some reason in that scene Hernandez actually reminded me of Jeff Mackay (Mac), not Magnum. :lol: Round face, short hair, slightly upturned nose, short stature. :lol: I still can't understand how they cast this guy as Magnum. Just let him play Mac! :D

Oh, and I don't know how many of you recognized the place where Nuzo was abducted. His house is in the cul-de-sac at 10 Poipu Place, which was the place where the sexy Patch MacKenzie was staying in "Ghost Writer".

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by MagnumILWU »

It was not bad! If all you are going to do is compare to the 80's series, than there is no need to watch it, or nitpick every little thing! This is a new show, not the old one, most everything is going to be different! There is only one Magnum, but that doesn't mean this show has to be bad! It did make me think of the old show, which made me smile, with all the happy memories of that show! If you can just sit back, and watch the show, just for the fun of it, knowing the original as well as you do, might even make you enjoy this new version a little more! I'm going to watch it again at 9 pm my time, and see if I can notice any other little things, that bring back warm memories of Magnum, P.I.!
"pickled egg please"