The Trailer

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

karolis
Admiral

Re: The Trailer

#211 Post by karolis »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:
KENJI wrote:It will be interesting to see if the guy talking to Jay at the 1:42 mark will be Tanaka.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0idfAmSwns
Of course, Tanaka couldn't be an unassuming older guy, he had to be some Asian male model.
According to IMDb, Sung Kang (visible in mentioned video) is not Tanaka, but Detective Gordon Katsumoto. But according to Deadline, Detective Gordon Katsumoto will be played by Tim Kang in the series. Both last names - Kang. In trailer it's clearly Sung Kang, but Magnum P.I. official Instagram profile shared that Tim Kang will play Detective Gordon Katsumoto. Did they changed an actor for character after the pilot episode? Or Sung Kang and Tim Kang are two different characters? Most likely that IMDb listing is wrong, Sung Kang is Tanaka and Tim Kang is Detective Gordon Katsumoto. Most likely somebody mixed them up in IMDb, it's easy, both of them have the same last names.

Article about Tim Kang: https://deadline.com/2018/07/magnum-p-i ... 202430289/

NotthatRick
Admiral

#212 Post by NotthatRick »

I used to watch The Mentalist on occasion and thought Tim Kang did a good job in it. That said, I will not be watching any of his performances in MiniMag PI.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#213 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

ConchRepublican wrote: Nice . . .

I considered it, but I didn't want it to appear I was attacking Lenkov personally. Especially considering I believe he, or someone on his team, keeps an tabs on things in here.
Conch, I would bet money he saw you on COZI & thought HE should've been the Ultimate Fan. :wink: But unfortunately he was too busy making a gajillion dollars "re-imagining" Hawaii 5-0. :roll:

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#214 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Magnum P.I. - The Second Reboot! Exclusive!

"We simply weren't diverse enough" said Eli Hershfeld, producer of the second Magnum P.I. reboot. When referring to the first Magnum P.I. reboot, he said, "I recognized the problem when, in the pilot episode, Magnum said, 'They go for the white meat first.' - and I thought, 'Why do we need white meat at all? We're a diverse society now, and a diverse society does not need white people.' That's when we decided to be bold and go for 100% diversity in the second reboot."

"But it's still the Magnum P.I. everyone knows and loves", said Hershfeld. "The characters are still the same - just updated slightly for today. Magnum is a tough veteran of the Vietnam War, the Gulf War, the Syrian bombing of 2019 and the Iran nuclear destruction of 2020. She just happens to be a black woman in high heels and a tight spandex dress. Higgins is a high society British snob with a long history in British Intelligence - and the first black woman to go to space. T.C. is a helicopter pilot who served with Magnum in the bombings of Syria and Iran. Rick is a slick, connected lesbian with ties to the mob. They're all pals who spend their weekend, like all war veterans, going to feminist rallies and lesbian empowerment meetings."

When asked about what's in store for Magnum and his pals, Hershfeld said, "I can't tell you much at this point. You'll just have to wait and see. But I can give you a hint about the pilot episode... I think there's a chance you'll see Magnum sky-diving on Mars."

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#215 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I can't wait for the third reboot! We need even MORE diversity!

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#216 Post by MaximRecoil »

I won't be watching this show; not even a single episode of it. It has too many elements common to modern TV shows and movies which irritate me (some of which are specific to remakes/reboots), e.g., changing the race/ethnicity of an established character, changing the sex of an established character, male characters with a millennial-era "bro" personality, changing the make/model of established iconic cars and guns, 120-pound female characters versed in the mystical art of Hollywood-ryu Chickjutsu for whom even multiple 200-pound bad guys at once are no match in a fight.

I watch TV shows and movies for entertainment, and being irritated is the opposite of being entertained. If I liked being irritated I would breed free-range mosquitoes in my house.

Not watching the new show avoids most of the irritation, but unfortunately, it's impossible to avoid all of it unless you want to forget about the original show. From now on, results pertaining to this farce will pollute internet searches for "Magnum, P.I.", and when initiating a discussion about Magnum, P.I., a qualifier will have to be used to avoid confusion, such as "original" or "real".

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#217 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaximRecoil wrote:I won't be watching this show; not even a single episode of it. It has too many elements common to modern TV shows and movies which irritate me (some of which are specific to remakes/reboots), e.g., changing the race/ethnicity of an established character, changing the sex of an established character, male characters with a millennial-era "bro" personality, changing the make/model of established iconic cars and guns, 120-pound female characters versed in the mystical art of Hollywood-ryu Chickjutsu for whom even multiple 200-pound bad guys at once are no match in a fight.

I watch TV shows and movies for entertainment, and being irritated is the opposite of being entertained. If I liked being irritated I would breed free-range mosquitoes in my house.

Not watching the new show avoids most of the irritation, but unfortunately, it's impossible to avoid all of it unless you want to forget about the original show. From now on, results pertaining to this farce will pollute internet searches for "Magnum, P.I.", and when initiating a discussion about Magnum, P.I., a qualifier will have to be used to avoid confusion, such as "original" or "real".
I know what you mean, MaximRecoil. I hate having to specify which FIVE-O I'm referring to. Obviously the original one, the classic one, as I don't bother watching the new fake one. I miss how just a few years back when I talked about FIVE-O people knew exactly what I was talking about, without need to clarify. I just came back from O'ahu and I hate seeing all the references to Five-O being about the new show. I bought a Five-O shirt (the "classic" Five-O) from this one store, but it's sad that they only had this one type of classic Five-O shirt (and only one color - black, not ideal for hot sunny days) but a whole wide variety of the "fake Five-0" shirts.

Hey, I'm all for them filming new shows in Hawaii (it all looks gorgeous on the screen - especially in HD), just call it something original. Stop using names of old shows, especially when you're not seriously planning on faithfully remaking the old show. The new Five-Zero has NOTHING in common with the classic show except for the name and character names. So what's the point? Why not just call it HAWAII: SPECIAL UNIT or whatever with original character names? But of course they want the brand name recognition of the old show without actually attempting to do the original justice (which by the way I don't believe can be done - it's a show of a place and time). Personally I feel this should be illegal.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#218 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MaximRecoil wrote:I won't be watching this show; not even a single episode of it. It has too many elements common to modern TV shows and movies which irritate me (some of which are specific to remakes/reboots), e.g., changing the race/ethnicity of an established character, changing the sex of an established character, male characters with a millennial-era "bro" personality, changing the make/model of established iconic cars and guns, 120-pound female characters versed in the mystical art of Hollywood-ryu Chickjutsu for whom even multiple 200-pound bad guys at once are no match in a fight. .
Hi MaximRecoil,
Or can I call you Max? I really enjoyed your post. Especially "Hollywood-ryu Chickjutsu", very funny.
One of my pet peeves as well. I really get the impression that not one of these producers/writers/directors who create this stuff has ever been in a
fight in their lives or even had been on the receiving end of just one punch from a full grown man.
I know I have referenced Lee Marvin's outlook on mayhem before in Magnum Mania, but Hollywood should take to heart his advice on violence being shown in all
it's brutality: "It is what it is. Anything less is farce".

"One day we shall be strangers in our own land"
Old Hawaiian saying
Original Hawaii 5-0 Season One Episode Four

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#219 Post by KingKC »

MaximRecoil wrote:I won't be watching this show; not even a single episode of it. It has too many elements common to modern TV shows and movies which irritate me (some of which are specific to remakes/reboots), e.g., changing the race/ethnicity of an established character, changing the sex of an established character, male characters with a millennial-era "bro" personality, changing the make/model of established iconic cars and guns, 120-pound female characters versed in the mystical art of Hollywood-ryu Chickjutsu for whom even multiple 200-pound bad guys at once are no match in a fight.

AMEN!!!!!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#220 Post by KENJI »

Maybe they should've gone this route with the show.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtdNKWJQiCk

:wink: :lol:

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#221 Post by eagle »

KENJI wrote:Maybe they should've gone this route with the show.....

That’s awesome!

:magnum:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#222 Post by KingKC »

FANTASTIC!!...Thanx Kenji

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#223 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Thank you KENJI, that was most excellent. The resourcefulness of the Magnum Mania Maniacs never ceases to amaze me. The expertise, arcane
knowledge, and generally respectful 'conversations' make this the best Fan site I have ever seen, if someone knows of one just as good, please share.

Blue Boy -" My hair's green and I'm a tree!"
Joe Friday - "You're pretty high and far out. What kind of kick are you on, son?"
...Dragnet

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#224 Post by ConchRepublican »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote: Nice . . .

I considered it, but I didn't want it to appear I was attacking Lenkov personally. Especially considering I believe he, or someone on his team, keeps an tabs on things in here.
Conch, I would bet money he saw you on COZI & thought HE should've been the Ultimate Fan. :wink: But unfortunately he was too busy making a gajillion dollars "re-imagining" Hawaii 5-0. :roll:
LOL!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#225 Post by eagle »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:The expertise, arcane knowledge, and generally respectful 'conversations' make this the best Fan site I have ever seen, if someone knows of one just as good, please share.
This forum and the NeXT computer forum at http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/ are, in my mind, the best on the net. NeXT fans are rabid in the way that Magnum fans are, and their love of the platform similarly translates into a desire to help one another. It's great.