New Magnum on Mondays! And new trailer!

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Re: New Magnum on Mondays! And new trailer!

#46 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

but saying it's because of political correctness is simply unsubstantiated
No it isn't unsubstantiated. CBS takes a ton of heat from the entertainment press every Fall for being "too white" and "too male." Add that to the fact that Daniel Dae Kim flat out accused the network of being racist (and the idiot media bought into it) because they wouldn't pay him as much as Alex O'Loughlin and you have some pretty damning evidence that the casting is based on political correctness.

And for the record, I don't think two white guys in the roles of TSMIV & JQH would have made this worth watching because too much of Magnum's persona is based on Selleck's real life persona. I know people are going to argue "it's just A character that he played", but they are wrong. It's "THE character that he played.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Kevster »

Just to put a final note on this.

If they were trying to cast it for PC reasons, they could have made Orville "Rick" Wright short for Ricardo and cast someone else as TSMIV.

Personally, I think there probably is a little PC in there, but it's probably far more about overcoming/avoiding the shadow of TS and JH. Can't dare to be compared!!!!
Trust Me!!!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#48 Post by Pahonu »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
No it isn't unsubstantiated. CBS takes a ton of heat from the entertainment press every Fall for being "too white" and "too male." Add that to the fact that Daniel Dae Kim flat out accused the network of being racist (and the idiot media bought into it) because they wouldn't pay him as much as Alex O'Loughlin and you have some pretty damning evidence that the casting is based on political correctness.

And for the record, I don't think two white guys in the roles of TSMIV & JQH would have made this worth watching because too much of Magnum's persona is based on Selleck's real life persona. I know people are going to argue "it's just A character that he played", but they are wrong. It's "THE character that he played.

That's still not direct evidence that CBS pressured or ordered the show developers to change Higgins character to a woman so as to be PC. If Lenkov or casting directors, for example, said that CBS execs influenced their decision then that would substantiate the claim directly. Your examples, and some others on the forum would be circumstantial evidence, requiring an inference to make the connection. There are lots of other inferences that could be made as to why a woman was cast. Some on this forum have posited that it was done to create a potential love interest for the Magnum character. While I don't think that's a great idea for the show, that's an equally valid possibility, still requiring an inference, however. On its own, circumstantial evidence allows for more than one explanation. Different pieces of circumstantial evidence may be required (the Dae Kim argument would not apply as her race has not been changed), so that each corroborates the conclusions drawn from the others. Together, they may more strongly support one particular inference over another. An explanation involving circumstantial evidence becomes more likely once alternative explanations have been ruled out and this hasn't happened. Lacking further evidence, either direct or significantly more circumstantial, the claims are unsubstantiated. The claim may ultimately be true, but at this point that's not the case.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Pahonu wrote:

That's still not direct evidence that CBS pressured or ordered the show developers to change Higgins character to a woman so as to be PC.
Why would you need "direct evidence" for something so obvious? You're not going to get someone running up with a cassette tape, saying, "OK, I've got it! Here's the secret recording of the executive meeting where they're discussing the casting of the new Magnum! It's direct evidence!"

Just look around at nearly every remake of the past decade. The goal is to replace the white male main characters with either females or minorities (or both), while keeping non-white characters intact (to avoid "whitewashing").

The only thing I'm really shocked about in Magnum PI's casting is the fact that Rick isn't Chinese. I was sure he'd be Chinese. Maybe it was too obvious. Maybe he's there so Magnum can make white jokes, like when he says about the sharks, "they go for the white meat first". (I wonder the reaction if he said to TC, "they go for the dark meat first".)
Kevster wrote:I don't disagree with any of your observations, though I've met very few latino men with such an Anglo / British / Irish name as Thomas Sullivan Magnum implies...
Nice one. I didn't even think about that. Tomás Sullivino Mágnez.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Pahonu wrote:

That's still not direct evidence that CBS pressured or ordered the show developers to change Higgins character to a woman so as to be PC. If Lenkov or casting directors, for example, said that CBS execs influenced their decision then that would substantiate the claim directly. Your examples, and some others on the forum would be circumstantial evidence, requiring an inference to make the connection. There are lots of other inferences that could be made as to why a woman was cast. Some on this forum have posited that it was done to create a potential love interest for the Magnum character. While I don't think that's a great idea for the show, that's an equally valid possibility, still requiring an inference, however. On its own, circumstantial evidence allows for more than one explanation. Different pieces of circumstantial evidence may be required (the Dae Kim argument would not apply as her race has not been changed), so that each corroborates the conclusions drawn from the others. Together, they may more strongly support one particular inference over another. An explanation involving circumstantial evidence becomes more likely once alternative explanations have been ruled out and this hasn't happened. Lacking further evidence, either direct or significantly more circumstantial, the claims are unsubstantiated. The claim may ultimately be true, but at this point that's not the case.
We're discussing the casting of a TV show not a criminal trial. And some things are just plain as day, but there is one more piece of evidence: the casting call they put out for TM specifically asked for a "non-white" guy. So... there's that. :magnum:

Pahonu

#51 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck,

Why quote only the first line of my comment implying I claim only direct evidence is needed? I clearly stated that corroborating circumstantial evidence or the negation of counter arguments might be sufficient. Still, little evidence has been put forward to show CBS influenced the casting of a female in the Higgins role for PC reasons.

"Just look around at nearly every remake of the past decade. The goal is to replace the white male main characters with either females or minorities (or both), while keeping non-white characters intact (to avoid "whitewashing")." I would argue "nearly every remake" is a pretty high burden of proof to achieve, requiring lots of examples.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion about the subject, but that doesn't make it the obvious reason to everyone. At least one other reason for casting a woman in the role has been suggested by other forum members which suggests that it was the more obvious reason to them.
Last edited by Pahonu on Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#52 Post by Pahonu »

MagnumsLeftShoulder.

I'm not expecting a jury of twelve come to a unanimous conclusion about this. I'm arguing to remove subjective elements such as emotional appeal or ideological position by playing devil's advocate, as it were. I started this whole thing by questioning the assumption that casting a woman in the role was for PC reasons rather than being reflective of social and cultural changes in our society, or for some other reason entirely. For example, casting a woman as an FBI agent in a TV show during the 1950's would have been unrealistic. The first female agents weren't hired until the 70's. Today it would seem unrealistic to cast only men. Similar arguments could be made about racial exclusion in the past versus opportunity today. Why does the casting of any formerly white male character differently mean it has to be political correctness. It can be for other reasons. That's my whole point put simply.

"The casting call they put out for TM specifically asked for a "non-white" guy. So... there's that." doesn't directly apply to the Higgins character or gender, but could be agued more generally.

Fitzy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#53 Post by Fitzy »

I am just learning the horrific news of Robins Nest being torn down (Really? Really? Is nothing sacred?), and now trying to come to terms with this tragic loss of an opportunity to create some amazing television – once again.
Selleck has made it obvious that he is the only Thomas Magnum - and rightly so. And what happened to Eva Longoria playing Lilly?
Massive missed opportunity by CBS having Tom Selleck totally ruled out. At least with Lilly as the main character it would never be considered a ‘role replacement’ but an evolution of the most brilliant series ever created.
Lilly Magnum PI . Fantastic opportunity to have a father and daughter team (very original and full of scope for amazing dialog and drama). This would have been ideal for Selleck to have the bulk of shooting and onset work shared.
I saw the new CBS promo and nearly cried. This is a typical ‘l phone’ generation appealing trash series that is more CGI unbelievable action than that of substance. Cliché, Cliché, Cliché. At least Selleck had class and appeal. This new casting of a ‘pretty boy’ hero is totally lost on me.
I don’t mind the idea of a younger supportive cast, but not a replacement of original characters. Hell I even don’t mind the idea of a female Higgins role -not replacement (RIP John you were brilliant) Perhaps even Helen Mirren. A young Higgins replacement already spells out what is going to happen there.
I am seriously lost for words with this news back in Australia. I was, like many persons of my generation totally upset by this cheap grab at making a buck. Really CBS, don’t you do your home work before you invest in such ventures.

Totally dumbfounded
Fitzy

Magnom
Lieutenant

#54 Post by Magnom »

What make/version of the Tigers cap is magnum wearing?
Steve :)

"It don`t mean nothing"

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by perfectlykevin »

Magnom wrote:What make/version of the Tigers cap is magnum wearing?
Jay Hernandez's Magnum wears a "dad's style" adjustable Detroit Tigers cap. It has the orange New Era logo on the side.

I like the fit of these NE caps but most true baseball fans will insist on an official league play, fitted cap, not an adjustable.

Kev

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Kevster »

perfectlykevin wrote:
Jay Hernandez's Magnum wears a "dad's style" adjustable Detroit Tigers cap. It has the orange New Era logo on the side.

I like the fit of these NE caps but most true baseball fans will insist on an official league play, fitted cap, not an adjustable.

Kev
Well, you have to understand why it's adjustable, Hernandez is a pretty small guy... :roll:
Trust Me!!!

Magnom
Lieutenant

#57 Post by Magnom »

perfectlykevin wrote:

Kev
Thank you.
Steve :)

"It don`t mean nothing"

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by perfectlykevin »

Kevster wrote:
perfectlykevin wrote:

Kev
Well, you have to understand why it's adjustable, Hernandez is a pretty small guy... :roll:
Well, they do make a kid-sized Tigers cap too :lol:

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by perfectlykevin »

Magnom wrote:
perfectlykevin wrote:

Kev
Thank you.
Steve, sure thing!! When I saw the trailer I was curious and had to go find it. It is currently available at Lids.com and likely other places too

https://www.lids.com/detroit-tigers-new ... p/20943186

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#60 Post by Mr. Keoki »

You are correct. I was pretty disappointed in Daniel Dae Kim... While he is a main character, he isn't in as many scenes as the two main, main characters. He wants the same money, for less work??

I think you're right overall... You won't find a "smoking gun" because this is just the way things are. There's a belief that people can't enjoy something unless they see someone of the same skin color, gender, or sexual orientation.... they use the phrase "people like me". The same rationale for remaking Ghost Busters and Oceans 8.... Apparently they thought that women couldn't have possibly liked the originals because there just wasn't someone like them in it... :luther:

I guess they could've made it worse and had some good looking male higgins and magnum have sexual tension...
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"