Hunter

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

Hunter

#1 Post by Italian Ice »

One of the best cop shows ever made, period. Way better than the ones you see today. Cannell used a different style here than his earlier shows, way more violent first of all. Shows like GAH and A-Team had literally nobody getting killed. Hunter on the other hand, was different. This made me wonder why he changed his style all of a sudden when MPI had some similiarities like this and aired the same time as A-Team etc? Especially since both Cannell and Bellisario worked together on occasion.

Either way, this show I used to watch every Friday night after work, followed by MPI and others. Some plots weren't too hard to follow, very simple. Some though, were very disturbing and darker than anything I've seen (cop killer who had badges all over her walls, end up being a young girl, killer who hides in a creepy wax museum, black dalia copy-cat killer, and the one who kills young girls, like in Death and Taxes). This compares well to Hawaii 5-0 in terms of how the show starts, just that the censorship was very lenient on Hunter, and showed a lot of violence and gore that actually creeped me out a few times.

I think the show was better when it first started, and after McCall left, it went a little downhill, but still a solid show and enjoyable to watch. Think it was Cannell's longest running series, but I'm not sure. Just went on to DVD just recently.

A good show to watch if nobody has checked it out.
Last edited by Italian Ice on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Glad to hear Hunter is finally making its way to DVD! Another quality TV show from the '80s!

Fred Dryer had a dream a career - 13 years in the NFL, 7 years on a hit TV show, movies....

Whatever happened to Stepfanie Kramer?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Frodoleader »

I really don't know what happened to Ms. Kramer, all I do know was that it did not involve me! :oops: She is another actress from the '80's I really dug!!
Hunter was also on my must watch list back in the day.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL! Yes indeed Frodoleader! When I think of 80s women, Stepfanie is at the top of the list!

They are both looking good these days...

:)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Sam »

James...You can find her here.

http://www.stepfaniekramer.com/

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Frodoleader »

Thanks James! This photo looks like it was from the revisited Hunter series, from a few years back. She looks great!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hunter

#7 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Italian Ice wrote:One of the best cop shows ever made, period. Way better than the ones you see today. Cannell used a different style here than his earlier shows, way more violent first of all. Shows like GAH and A-Team had literally nobody getting killed. Hunter on the other hand, was different. This made me wonder why he changed his style all of a sudden when MPI had some similiarities like this and aired the same time as A-Team etc? Especially since both Cannell and Bellisario worked together on occasion.

Either way, this show I used to watch every Friday night after work, followed by MPI and others. Some plots weren't too hard to follow, very simple. Some though, were very disturbing and darker than anything I've seen (cop killer who had badges all over her walls, end up being a young girl, killer who hides in a creepy wax museum, black dalia copy-cat killer, and the one who kills young girls, like in Death and Taxes). This compares well to Hawaii 5-0 in terms of how the show starts, just that the censorship was very lenient on Hunter, and showed a lot of violence and gore that actually creeped me out a few times.

I think the show was better when it first started, and after McCall left, it went a little downhill, but still a solid show and enjoyable to watch. Think it was Cannell's longest running series, but I'm not sure. Just went on to DVD just recently.

A good show to watch if nobody has checked it out.
Exactly...one of the best cop shows (along with "Miami Vice") of the 80's, and one of my all-time favorite shows!! I grew up with this one too..and it was actually on Saturday nights, not Fridays.

Superb action, wild and captivating plots, fascinating characters and the chemistry between Hunter and Mccall (as well as Dryer and Kramer) was amazing! I loved the episode with the burned-faced, freaky guy in the wax museum..."Killer In a Halloween Mask"! Awesome! :) But, the episode "Black Dahlia" is my all-time favorite episode of "Hunter"!! Watched it when it originally aired, and I still love it today!

Actually I believe that "Silk Stalkings" (starring Mitzi Kapture and Rob Estes) was Stephen J. Cannell's longest running series, with 8 seasons (1991-1999)...whereas "Hunter" only had 7 (1984-1991). However, both shows are superb...plus, to me "S.S." was more or less the 90's version of "Hunter". :wink:

I also love cars, and I love studying or looking at all the cars used in TV shows/movies. I've never seen one show-case an old dark green 1977 Dodge Monaco like this one did! :lol: Even when Hunter would smash one up or it would get blown up...somehow the dept. would have another identical one on the lot, waiting to replace the other. :wink: I grew to love that car, and wish I could get a model of one to put with my "Hunter" memoribalia.

I was extatic to see "Hunter" come back in 2002...then with a short-lived revival series in 2003! :D I'm still ticked at NBC for cancelling the new show, after only 3 episodes! :x

Anchor Bay came out with the first 3 seasons of "Hunter" on DVD back in like 2004-2006. Then Anchor dropped it...as well as "Silk Stalkings." :? However, Mill Creek then stepped in a couple years ago and actually ended up releasing a "Complete Series" (full 7 season run...but not the reunions or revival series) DVD set of "Hunter"! I got one and it's awesome! :D However, I've also gotten other homemade DVD's of all the reunion movies and revival series ("Everybody Walks in L.A." in 1995, "Return To Justice" in 2002, "Back In Force" in 2003--and the subsequent 3 revival series episodes the same year).

"Hunter" was better with both Hunter and McCall...as was the original title of the show, and the series focused on both characters. But, after 6 years, Stepfanie Kramer wanted to pursue her musical and singing career...as well as have a kid with her husband at the time. So, she left the series. But, she was back in all of the reunions, except the first one in 1995. Both characters "made" that show, and I loved Kramer--despite the wild and goofy 80's hairdews. :lol:

"Hunter" is definitely a show to check out if you haven't before. Trust me...it'll "Work For You"!! :wink:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by AmandaByNight »

I only just saw Hunter for the first time about 2 years ago and couldn't believe I had never watched it before. Very good show. I really liked the relationship he had with Kramer. Am I correct that they never get together? They seemed to have a very cool, non-sexual relationship that I enjoyed. I mean, there was chemistry but I didn't feel any of that "are they going to, or aren't they?" thing that a lot of shows end up going to...

Word on the street is that Stepfanie Kramer is a bit of a pistol, but awhile ago I interviewed the writer of Terror at the London Bridge and he said she was pretty great. Not super warm, but not the bitch she had been made out to be. I'm a little fascinated by her.

btw, kind of off topic, but they are making a new Night Stalker movie and Johnny Depp is producing. I don't think he'd make a good Kolchak, but I thought of Dryer and I kind of think I'd like him in the part.

Thoughts?

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Frodoleader »

[quote="AmandaByNight"]I only just saw Hunter for the first time about 2 years ago and couldn't believe I had never watched it before. Very good show. I really liked the relationship he had with Kramer. Am I correct that they never get together? They seemed to have a very cool, non-sexual relationship that I enjoyed. I mean, there was chemistry but I didn't feel any of that "are they going to, or aren't they?" thing that a lot of shows end up going to...

Amanda - I seem to recall an episode during the shows original run, where the question of "did they or didn't they" was answered as a definite yes they did! The plot of that episode was the main characters dealing with the fallout of their tryst.
:oops:

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by AmandaByNight »

Awww, why'd they do it?

Oh well... :P

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Frodoleader wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:I only just saw Hunter for the first time about 2 years ago and couldn't believe I had never watched it before. Very good show. I really liked the relationship he had with Kramer. Am I correct that they never get together? They seemed to have a very cool, non-sexual relationship that I enjoyed. I mean, there was chemistry but I didn't feel any of that "are they going to, or aren't they?" thing that a lot of shows end up going to...

Amanda - I seem to recall an episode during the shows original run, where the question of "did they or didn't they" was answered as a definite yes they did! The plot of that episode was the main characters dealing with the fallout of their tryst.
:oops:
Yes...you are correct! In Kramer's last season (season 6) they finally did an episode called "Unfinished Business", that dealt with the aspect that supposedly at one point a couple years before they had "slipped" and had a one night stand. However, it's only referred to, and a couple flashback kissing scenes is all that's actually shown. Which is fine...I don't need to see every "nasty" detail. :wink:

Fans always were wanting to get Hunter and McCall together...but Dryer and Kramer fought that--saying that once they do that, the characters lose that "magic" and it'll just become like "Hart to Hart"--where a married couple is solving the crimes. But, I think they new Kramer was leaving, and so they decided to finally do one episode to sort of appease fans before she left.

Kramer was never known as a "bitch" or nasty person that I know of! :o Have not heard that one?? :shock: In fact, she was usually the one who kept everyone calm on the set of "Hunter"--always in a good and cheerful mood, as it's said that many times Fred Dryer was the one who was nasty and unapproachable. But, Kramer would pop onto the set, make some silly jokes or laugh at everything, and eventually Dryer would calm down and be in a better mood.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by AmandaByNight »

The first time I heard of Kramer being difficult was from someone who worked with her on a TV movie (did I mention this?). Anyway this person said that she was fine, not at all like her reputation had led her to believe she was. So, he had no problems with her, but since then I'd heard others say they'd heard she was difficult, so it came from somewhere. Since I don't know her, I obviously cannot say, but I do like her, regardless.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by MaiTaiMan »

AmandaByNight wrote:The first time I heard of Kramer being difficult was from someone who worked with her on a TV movie (did I mention this?). Anyway this person said that she was fine, not at all like her reputation had led her to believe she was. So, he had no problems with her, but since then I'd heard others say they'd heard she was difficult, so it came from somewhere. Since I don't know her, I obviously cannot say, but I do like her, regardless.
She could have been difficult sometimes...I'm sure most Hollywood people are at some point. The stress and political chaos they have to endure I'm sure takes its toll. I was more thinking of her when it came to "Hunter". I'd just always heard that Fred was the difficult one, while Stepfanie was the relaxed and humorous one.

Regardless, I like both actors and I wish they'd do another "Hunter" reunion movie! :)