It Got By The Censor/In Jokes

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Kee
Lieutenant

Re: It Got By The Censor/In Jokes

#76 Post by Kee »

Damn you guys are good finding all this stuff!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Kee,
Below is a in joke tribute to the great WW 2 flick "Stalag 13" starring William Holden as the cigar chomping loner plotting to escape the Stalag he is imprisoned in. If you have never seen this classic
(beloved by Thomas Magnum) that inspired Hogans Heroes you are cheating yourself:
In Escape to Athena(1979), in a 10 second cameo appearance at the 26:40 mark, POW William Holden is seen smoking a cigar, leaning against a barracks wall in a German Stalag POW camp.
A surprised Elliot Gould walks by and says "are you still here?"
Holden: "It's not a bad life. Got a match?"

Here is a bonus It Got By The Censors, down under way. The Aborigines involved must be cousins to the Iroquois writer mentioned earlier in this thread who while writing for The Lone
Ranger radio program suggested using Kemosabe as the term Tonto uses to call the Ranger "friend" when it actually means "shithead".
To wit -
Every year Melbourne hosts a cultural festival, called Moomba. The city had originally asked the local Aborigines to supply a native name and they did, claiming moomba means
"lets get together and have fun." It really means "up your bum". While the secret is out now it also appealed to the Aussie sense of humor so the city fathers let the name stand.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Defining the concept of "mateship" in Australia -
"If you go out for a big night and by some misadventure you end up in a prison cell, you can count on your best friend to come down and bail you out. But your best mate will be dead drunk on the
cell floor beside you."
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

The Clothes Makes The Man Department -

Actor Frank Morgan played 5 roles in the Wizard of Oz(1939).
For "Professor Marvel" the wardrobe man found a tattered Prince Albert coat in a second hand store. After Morgan tried it on he noticed a label sewn inside
saying "L. Frank Baum", who authored the book "Oz" that the film was based on.
Both Baum's tailor and widow confirmed the jacket was his. After the film was finished the producers returned the coat to Mrs. Baum.

In the 1984 movie "Amadeus", F. Murray Abraham won an Oscar playing Mozart's real life foe Antonio Solieri. The 18th century clothes he wore actually
once belonged to Solieri, who died in 1825 at age 75.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

While most artists enjoy slipping things past censors the Hallmark Channel once again is "channeling" it's inner blue haired little old lady who faints at the thought that somewhere, somehow, something
naughty is afoot. Leaving Hallmark in charge of altering others artistic vision is like leaving a cat in charge of a chainsaw.
Last night they ran the Magnum episode " Billy Joe Bob" (season 2 episode 1) and repeatedly excised the reason why James Whitmore's character is seeking revenge! 
A crime lord had made Billy Joe's sister a hooker and later on had her murdered. Magnum at one point is pleading with TC to divert Billy Joe by taking him for a ride in his copter while Thomas tries to
find out more about her on his own. When TC wants reasons why, Thomas explains "...like maybe she's a (audio deleted)". 
 Like maybe she's what? Like maybe she's a CPA? Like she's a peddler of Aunt Bee's kerosene pickles and poisoned both Higgins and the Lads? Like maybe she's been beguiled by Shemp Howard and is carrying
his Stooge seed?
Dear Hallmark,   
Fongool.
Sincerely, Luther's Nephew Dobie.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Many productions found ways to sneak in family members or production people into episodes.
If you ever watch a show where a TV or movie crew appears, it's a lock they are the actual crew for that production. Why pay for extras, why not give your guys the thrill of being onscreen.

The final episode of Perry Mason, "The Case of the Final Fade-Out", featured Dick Clark as the last killer of the series and was set at a TV studio. All the long time behind the scenes workers on
the Mason show got the chance to appear together before millions and to be part of the wrap up. Perry Mason creator Erle Stanley Gardner appears as the 2nd judge on the episode.

In the Route 66 episode "The Mud Nest", star George Maharis runs into a rural family in Maryland, the grandchildren being played by his real life look alike brothers Paul and Harold, plus his sister Cleopatra.
Maharis's Route 66 partner Martin Milner's daughter appeared on Adam-12 in "Victim of the Crime", while son Andrew drove a mini bike in another episode.
Milner's Adam-12 partner Kent McCord's daughter Kristen popped up in "Operation Action".
Dick Van Dyke's son Barry who starred with him on Diagnosis Murder appeared as a kid on the Dick Van Dyke Show. Other Van Dyke children and grandchildren also showed up on Diagnosis Murder.

Other productions snuck in the real people their movie/TV show was based on.
The real life Maria Von Trapp appeared in a village scene in The Sound of Music, blink and you missed her.
Some of the Marines who raised the flag on Iwo Jima reenacted it for the classic war film, "The Sands of Iwo Jima". I floored a retired Marine colonel who considered himself a walking
encyclopedia of Marine history with that tidbit, he thanked me and said he would use it in his talks about the corp. On the other hand he twice weaseled out of his round when it was his turn
to buy so to heck with him. Ain't nothing lower than a round shirker.

In Alices Restaurant, the movie based on the Arlo Guthrie hit song based on a real incident, some of the people involved play themselves. Arlo, Officer Obie and Judge Hannon all play themselves,
plus the real Alice appears here and there, though not as herself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man:
"And remember my sentimental friend, a heart is not judged by how much you love but by how much you are loved by others."

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#81 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:26 am Many productions found ways to sneak in family members or production people into episodes.
If you ever watch a show where a TV or movie crew appears, it's a lock they are the actual crew for that production. Why pay for extras, why not give your guys the thrill of being onscreen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man:
"And remember my sentimental friend, a heart is not judged by how much you love but by how much you are loved by others."
Absolutely true! In my first season of production on Baywatch back in the early 90’s, there was an episode where a fictional TV series based on the show was part of the plot. Most of the production crew appeared at some point in the episode, including myself. I believe it was the fourth season of the series. Of course, Baywatch was notorious for cutting corners in production and crew were routinely used in other capacities.

I am certain I was hired as a production assistant because I could also be used to double for Hasselhoff. I did it many times over the two seasons I worked on the series, in addition to my daily responsibilities. There were even a few times where I did things that really should have been classified as stunts according to union rules. I jumped into the water off the moving Scarab cigarette boat several times, was filmed being knocked down into a bunch of cardboard boxes, and appeared on a cliff edge at Windward Beach in Malibu as part of an episode. These all should have been done by stuntmen but I was happy to get the extra pay at the time.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by Little Garwood »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:50 am Absolutely true! In my first season of production on Baywatch back in the early 90’s, there was an episode where a fictional TV series based on the show was part of the plot. Most of the production crew appeared at some point in the episode, including myself. I believe it was the fourth season of the series. Of course, Baywatch was notorious for cutting corners in production and crew were routinely used in other capacities.

I am certain I was hired as a production assistant because I could also be used to double for Hasselhoff. I did it many times over the two seasons I worked on the series, in addition to my daily responsibilities. There were even a few times where I did things that really should have been classified as stunts according to union rules. I jumped into the water off the moving Scarab cigarette boat several times, was filmed being knocked down into a bunch of cardboard boxes, and appeared on a cliff edge at Windward Beach in Malibu as part of an episode. These all should have been done by stuntmen but I was happy to get the extra pay at the time.
The above is best read with an English accent as spoken by an actor from Texas… :wink:

Pahonu is fast becoming MM’s very own Higgins!
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#83 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:00 pm
Pahonu wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:50 am Absolutely true! In my first season of production on Baywatch back in the early 90’s, there was an episode where a fictional TV series based on the show was part of the plot. Most of the production crew appeared at some point in the episode, including myself. I believe it was the fourth season of the series. Of course, Baywatch was notorious for cutting corners in production and crew were routinely used in other capacities.

The above is best read with an English accent as spoken by an actor from Texas… :wink:

Pahonu is fast becoming MM’s very own Higgins!
I never did surf on an airplane wing though! :lol:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

In the Western "A Distant Triumph" (1964) there is a scene that brings to mind when a Iroquois writer for the Lone Ranger radio series first suggested using Kemosabe - "shithead" - as Tonto's
supposed term for "friend" for the Lone Ranger.
As you can see on this You Tube link posted by one FuzzbunnyAdventures:

(1) The distant trumpet - YouTube

Unknown to the director the Navajo speaker is actually saying to the army officer -

"Obviously you can't do anything to me. You're a snake crawling through your own shit."

PS- I am hopeless with tech, hopefully the link works.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
George Carlin - It's not a good sign when your doctor has "Born to Lose" tattooed on his hand.

Mr. Mike
Commander

#85 Post by Mr. Mike »

In the 1964 John Ford western Cheyenne Autumn, which stars Ricardo Montalban, Gilbert Roland, Sal Mineo and Victor Jory as Indians, IMDb reports "The language used by the Cheyenne in this movie is not Cheyenne. It is Navajo. Cheyenne is an Algonquian language, whereas Navajo is Athabaskan (Na Dene), and they do not sound even remotely similar. This is explainable, however, by the fact that this film was shot on the Navajo Nation." That is from the Goofs section. In the Trivia section, it says, "The 'Cheyenne' in the film are actually Navajo, and they are speaking in the Navajo language (mostly telling each other dirty jokes). "

Mr. Mike
Commander

#86 Post by Mr. Mike »

There are numerous in-jokes in Hawaii Five-O:

The 11th season opener, "The Sleeper" has a list of suspects with numerous references to characters from previous seasons. As well, as part of his alibi when accused of committing murder, Rathman, one of the suspects, claims he was watching God's Little Acre on TV, a movie which starred Jack Lord!

In S06E07, “Tricks Are Not Treats,” in a list of airline passengers, one of the characters lives on "2643 Stoner [as in Kurt, name of lead character in the show "Hookman"] Avenue" in Los Angeles and Mr. John T. Pinkerton lives on "2571 Harrington [as in series' star Al, Ben] Avenue," also in Los Angeles.

"The Computer Killer," S07E15, an episode full of trivia, has another airline passenger list full of references to characters from other episodes. S11E05, "Small Potatoes" has a similar, but shorter, list of phone calls.

Some references are to behind-the-scenes people on the show:
- "Dr. Freeman" is paged in the hospital (a reference to series creator Leonard), like in S02E15, "Blind "Tiger."
- in S02E22, "Nightmare Road," there is a letter is signed by James Heinz (the episode's associate producer).
- a directory in S03E10, "The Last Eden" includes David Sutt and Seward Roll, perhaps referring to Sutton Roley, who directed three episodes.
- in S04E07, a shipment of medicine comes from "Henshaw," same name as set decorator Buck.
- in S05E01, "Death is a Company Policy," a vaccination certificate says that McGarrett's measles shot was done by Dr. M. Stevens (as in series composer Morton).
- in S05E22, "Engaged to be Buried," there is another reference to Heinz in the form of a signed membership card.
- in S05E24, "Jury of One" has "Geller" in a list of suspects (sometime H50 composer Harry) .
- in S06E12, "Anybody Can Build A Bomb," there is a list of companies who potentially could have supplied bomb-making components: Heinz (producer James H. again) & Lake Chemicals, Freeman (Executive Producer Leonard) & Lorin (as in Story Consultant Will) Supply Inc., Cushman Chemical Co., Inc., Friedkin (as in director David, though that is from the 8th season) Machinery Co.
- in S06E15, numerous in-jokes from a hotel guest list: James Pettus (story consultant Ken); William Lorin (Will, story consultant -- not for this show); Curtis Heinz (James, assistant producer); Doris Kenyon (Curtis, story consultant -- not for this show); Pamela Busch (Bob, casting director); Bernard Dixon (Richard, assistant to the production manager); Curtis Fenneman (Cliff, assistant to the producer); Vivienne Freeman (producer Leonard).

Some characters have the same name as an actor who starred on the show. Examples: Nurse Feinberg in "Blind Tiger" (same name as actor Ron, who appeared in 3 episodes); Doug Mossman plays nightclub owner Al Shatner in S07E11, "Welcome To Our Branch Office" (William starred in S05E03, "You Don't Have To Kill To Get Rich, But It Helps").

There are more examples of this stuff, I really should do a WWW page for this...

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Mr. Mike wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:46 pm There are numerous in-jokes in Hawaii Five-O:
The 11th season opener, "The Sleeper" has a list of suspects with numerous references to characters from previous seasons. As well, as part of his alibi when accused of committing murder, Rathman, one of the suspects, claims he was watching God's Little Acre on TV, a movie which starred Jack Lord!
In S06E07, “Tricks Are Not Treats,” in a list of airline passengers, one of the characters lives on "2643 Stoner [as in Kurt, name of lead character in the show "Hookman"] Avenue" in Los Angeles and Mr. John T. Pinkerton lives on "2571 Harrington [as in series' star Al, Ben] Avenue," also in Los Angeles.
"The Computer Killer," S07E15, an episode full of trivia, has another airline passenger list full of references to characters from other episodes. S11E05, "Small Potatoes" has a similar, but shorter, list of phone calls.
Some references are to behind-the-scenes people on the show:
- "Dr. Freeman" is paged in the hospital (a reference to series creator Leonard), like in S02E15, "Blind "Tiger."
- in S02E22, "Nightmare Road," there is a letter is signed by James Heinz (the episode's associate producer).
- a directory in S03E10, "The Last Eden" includes David Sutt and Seward Roll, perhaps referring to Sutton Roley, who directed three episodes.
- in S04E07, a shipment of medicine comes from "Henshaw," same name as set decorator Buck.
- in S05E01, "Death is a Company Policy," a vaccination certificate says that McGarrett's measles shot was done by Dr. M. Stevens (as in series composer Morton).
- in S05E22, "Engaged to be Buried," there is another reference to Heinz in the form of a signed membership card.
- in S05E24, "Jury of One" has "Geller" in a list of suspects (sometime H50 composer Harry) .
- in S06E12, "Anybody Can Build A Bomb," there is a list of companies who potentially could have supplied bomb-making components: Heinz (producer James H. again) & Lake Chemicals, Freeman (Executive Producer Leonard) & Lorin (as in Story Consultant Will) Supply Inc., Cushman Chemical Co., Inc., Friedkin (as in director David, though that is from the 8th season) Machinery Co.
- in S06E15, numerous in-jokes from a hotel guest list: James Pettus (story consultant Ken); William Lorin (Will, story consultant -- not for this show); Curtis Heinz (James, assistant producer); Doris Kenyon (Curtis, story consultant -- not for this show); Pamela Busch (Bob, casting director); Bernard Dixon (Richard, assistant to the production manager); Curtis Fenneman (Cliff, assistant to the producer); Vivienne Freeman (producer Leonard).
Some characters have the same name as an actor who starred on the show. Examples: Nurse Feinberg in "Blind Tiger" (same name as actor Ron, who appeared in 3 episodes); Doug Mossman plays nightclub owner Al Shatner in S07E11, "Welcome To Our Branch Office" (William starred in S05E03, "You Don't Have To Kill To Get Rich, But It Helps").
There are more examples of this stuff, I really should do a WWW page for this...
Hi Mr. Mike,
Good stuff. I especially liked the Gods little Acre reference, a gem of a movie that was pretty spicy for it's time. Tina "Gilligans Island" Louise was never sexier, wow!
Michael Landon played an Albino, Buddy Hackett with his heavy Jersey accent cast as a backwoods Georgia good ole boy, Aldo Ray had one of his best roles plus Vic Morrow and Robert Ryan.
A lot of the flick was way too ribald for 1958 and some footage wasn't restored till years after it's release. The book it was based on became a cultural touchstone, in "Mister
Roberts" Henry Fonda complains that Jack Lemmon kept a copy of it under his bunk with all the dirty parts underlined.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode, David Ogden Stiers from MASH plays a alien looking at a computer screen that has the numbers 4077 on it, the numerical designation for his MASH unit.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Lady in Cement (1968) -
Tony Rome(Frank Sinatra) to Kit Forrest(Raquel Welch):
"Maybe you're the kind of dame that collects hoods. I used to know a broad who collected bullfighters."
Frank is referring to his ex wife Ava Gardner. After hanging out with Hemingway in Spain she became a bullfight aficionado, entering into an affair with the immortal bullfighter
Luis Miguel Dominguin and later on with others of his profession.

Tony Rome enters a room at the back of Mabel's Massage Studio. Inside he finds the fugitive Gronsky(Dan Blocker) watching television, the theme from Bonanza playing.
Blocker of course played Hoss Cartwright on Bonanza.

Tony Rome aka Sinatra goes in a joint called  "Jilly's Miami Beach Go Go Club".
This is a wink to his long time sidekick and NYC bar owner Jilly Rizzo.

In the 1962 movie "The Manchurian Candidate", Sinatra goes into the actual Jillys Saloon in one scene and Jilly is behind the bar. 
Jilly also played a bartender in The Detective(1968) and a card player in Tony Rome(1967), both Sinatra flicks.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#89 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

In the Streets of San Francisco episode "License to Kill" (1974) Mike Stone's old partner looks at a curiously old fashioned black and white photo of his dead cop son in uniform.
That's because it sure as heck looks like Pat O'Brian in a shot from one of his many 1930's movies playing Irish beat cops.

Karl Malden may have been behind this in joke as he was known for them.

Such as having the precinct sergeant on the series(actor Art Passarella) sport Malden's real name, "Mladen Sekulovich".
Passarella was originally a veteran major league umpire who had appeared in 3 World Series.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"One day we shall be strangers in our own land"...Hawaii Five - O

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

The 81st episode of Maverick, "Hadley's Hunters", first aired on Sept. 25, 1960.
It must have set a record for in jokes.

Bart Maverick(Jack Kelly) is given a photo of outlaw Cherokee Evans and tasked to find him.
In quick succession he meets characters from other ABC Warner Brothers westerns, showing them Cherokee's photo.
A 3 minute quick cut montage starts with Bart going into Marshal Troop's office ("Lawman") and exchanging a few words with stars John Russell and Peter Brown.
On to Will Hutchins - "Sugarfoot" - then Clint Walker of "Cheyenne".

Bart then enters the deserted, cobweb bedecked office of Christopher Colt(Wayde Preston) from "Colt .45", who was a pistol salesman and undercover Fed.
Colt's dust covered pistol belt and sample case satchel are lying inside with no sign of Colt himself, because the series was just cancelled.
A insider joke so "in" it completely eluded "Maverick-Legend of the West" author Ed Robertson.

Next Bart encounters Ty Hardin - "Bronco" - who is thrown out of a saloon and lands at Bart's feet.
Bart then arrives at the '77 Cherokee Strip Livery Stable' where Kookie( Edd Byrnes) of "77 Sunset Strip" fame is grooming a horse's mane.
He shakes his head at Maverick's photo then smiling displays an over sized comb he had been using on the horse.

Kookie of course had a big hit in 1959 with Connie "Hawaiian Eye" Stevens singing "Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb."
He was so popular that for a time he got more fan mail and magazine/newspaper coverage than any other star in the world!
My decade older brother and his friends all imitated Kookie's Beat/California Cool jargon but when he got a Kookie haircut my mother thought he was becoming a
hood and literally marched him down to the Sonoma barbershop for a crew cut.

The writers threw in one more in joke later on in the episode that was squarely aimed at a man who later became a movie superstar.

Bart asks a bartender who has been helping him for a gun.
Bartender -
"Well there was a little fella used to ride with the bounty hunters.
They kicked him out cause he kept falling off his horse.
He left his gun to cover a bar bill."
He then hands Bart a sawed off shotgun with cut down stock, saying
"it's called a Mule's Foot or something."

This was a dig at Steve McQueen in his role as bounty hunter Josh Randall in CBS's competing series "Wanted: Dead or Alive".
In the series Josh toted his trademark Winchester Model 1892 .44-40, butt and barrels sawed off, referred to as a "Mares Leg" on the show.
McQueen was a expert motorcycle rider - along with pal Robert Culp - but had recently fallen off his bike, hence the "kept falling off his horse remark."
You can bet the farm McQueen would not have been amused.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.