Other Popular Shows from Yesteryear! What's your favorite?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#46 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I'm a big fan of the Mike Hammer series with Stacy Keach. I have every episode on VHS, but I'm missing two of the made for TV movies.

People are often dumbfounded when I mention this as one of my faves, but I can't figure out why.

Sure, it's a bit cheesy...but it's a good cheesy!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#47 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

Styles Bitchley wrote:I'm a big fan of the Mike Hammer series with Stacy Keach. I have every episode on VHS, but I'm missing two of the made for TV movies.

People are often dumbfounded when I mention this as one of my faves, but I can't figure out why.

I love that show too. I don't own any of the episodes, but I do own a dvd collection of those two made-for-tv movies you referenced.
Got them on Amazon for under $15.00 :)

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#48 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

Carmen wrote:Remember another one: Spenser - for hire, I always liked Hawk best....
That's my fave. I even liked the shot-lived spin-off "A Man Called Hawk" 8)

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Frodoleader »

Styles Bitchley wrote:I'm a big fan of the Mike Hammer series with Stacy Keach. I have every episode on VHS, but I'm missing two of the made for TV movies.

Oh no Styles, I really liked Mike Hammer when it was on. In fact, I saw Stacey Keach on tv last night. The RTN runs the original Mike Hammer series, starring Darrin McGavin sometimes.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#50 Post by Styles Bitchley »

NotATigersFan wrote:I love that show too. I don't own any of the episodes, but I do own a dvd collection of those two made-for-tv movies you referenced.
Got them on Amazon for under $15.00 :)
Actually, I have those two. They were aired before the series was launched. But there's another one (thought there were two) that aired between the first series and the second called The Return of Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer. Apparently, after Keach got out of jail (for transporting cocaine into the UK) they made this two hour special to see if people were still interested in watching Hammer. Positive reception led to "The New Mike Hammer."

Still I haven't seen this special since it aired in '86. For some reason, I think I remember Hammer driving around Vegas in a white 911 Porsche...am I making this up???
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#51 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

Frodoleader wrote:

Oh no Styles, I really liked Mike Hammer when it was on. In fact, I saw Stacey Keach on tv last night. The RTN runs the original Mike Hammer series, starring Darrin McGavin sometimes.
It's on every Sunday from9PM-10PM where I live.

Paradise Found
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#52 Post by Paradise Found »

The shows I like the best all seem to be from the 1970's and 80's

1. Adam-12

2. Emergency

3. Hawaii Five O

4. MPI

5. Simon & Simon

6. Hill Street Blues

Leopard71
Lieutenant

Another 80s gem Miami Vice

#53 Post by Leopard71 »

On topic

another show featuring a nam Vet who Like magnum had also been a college football star.. Sonny Crockett..who in the storyline in one of the early episodes had beaten AL with a long TD reception during his playin days at U of FL

MV brought cool new things to TV, the music Jan hammer as it became part of the thematic content of the storyline...I could fill CDs w Miami Vice Music..

My favorite tunes were when Sonny & Ricardo are boogiein' top speed hammer down in the Cigar boat to the Caymans in order to grab the runaway dealer..

reminds me, a website offers episode by episode tunes from the show in order of appearance....

my 2 fav shows of all time but Magnum is lots more special

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Another 80s gem Miami Vice

#54 Post by J.J. Walters »

Leopard71 wrote:MV brought cool new things to TV, the music Jan hammer as it became part of the thematic content of the storyline...I could fill CDs w Miami Vice Music..

My favorite tunes were when Sonny & Ricardo are boogiein' top speed hammer down in the Cigar boat to the Caymans in order to grab the runaway dealer..
Indeed!

I'm not a huge Miami Vice fan (for various reasons), but there are certain elements of the show that I really like, namely the fantastic episode scores of Jan Hammer! I have the Miami Vice: The Complete Collection on CD. It's on a short list of works that I can listen to over and over again, and never get tired of it! "Angelina Flashback" (that bass line -- oy!), "Marina Theme", and "Candy" are some of my favorites. Jan Hammer has had one heck of a great career - from the pioneering jazz-rock fusion group Mahavishnu Orchestra, to all the stuff he did with Jeff Beck, to the soundtrack scores.... A truly amazing composer/keyboardist!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Leopard71
Lieutenant

Miami Vice Music

#55 Post by Leopard71 »

Hey Thanks for the tip....

I plan to grab that music episode by episode..w your link>perhaps its the link I have from another MV site...

Each episode had a classic IMO, score ro reinforce the storyline..as MV pioneered whats become a commonplace technique now..

One of my favs, other than the one in my aforementioned post is the score from the episode " Definitely Miami" in which Ted Nugent guest starred..

Between Magnum and MV..LOTs of stars past and future appeared...

A fav Magnum episode of mine is the one in which Sinatra starred as a dectective avenging his granddaughter.....w him at the headstone as the show ended

"WE Got Him"

Magnum lives on..w me..somewhow, every day lately I stumble across Tom Selleck, either on a direct TV Magnum episode..or in the store w Jesse Stone tapes..

I swear...I happened upon a tape in Wal Mart not 4 hrs ago by chance

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by MACattack »

Star Trek, Twilight Zone, Battlestar Galactica, Quantum Leap, Dave Chapelle Show, Good Times, Dr. Who, Sanford and Son, In Living Color, V the miniseries, and X-Files.
I just don't give a damn!

Leopard71
Lieutenant

Favorite Shows of All Time

#57 Post by Leopard71 »

1. Magnum PI

2.Miami Vice

3. Battlestar Galactica ( Currrent version)

4. House

5. 24

6. LA LAW

7. ThirtySomething

8. Wild Wild West

9. NYPD Blue

10. The HoneyMooners

Steve
Fleet Admiral

Re: Another 80s gem Miami Vice

#58 Post by Steve »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Leopard71 wrote:MV brought cool new things to TV, the music Jan hammer as it became part of the thematic content of the storyline...I could fill CDs w Miami Vice Music..

Indeed!

I'm not a huge Miami Vice fan (for various reasons), but there are certain elements of the show that I really like, namely the fantastic episode scores of Jan Hammer! I have the Miami Vice: The Complete Collection on CD. It's on a short list of works that I can listen to over and over again, and never get tired of it! "Angelina Flashback" (that bass line -- oy!), "Marina Theme", and "Candy" are some of my favorites. Jan Hammer has had one heck of a great career - from the pioneering jazz-rock fusion group Mahavishnu Orchestra, to all the stuff he did with Jeff Beck, to the soundtrack scores.... A truly amazing composer/keyboardist!
I have been getting reintroduced just how great those early years of Miami Vice were while catching them on the Centric Channel at night (The old BET-J Channel). I just wish the "complete" soundtrack would have included the song that played at the end of the very last episode of Vice, one of my favorite songs of all time that also played at the end of "Electra Glide in Blue".......Tell Me by Terry Kath, one of the founding members of Chicago that tragically took his own life in the late 70's. He truly gave the band soul on those early albums. It is a tough song to find and download other than versions on You Tube.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-m_Ivaw ... re=related

Leopard71
Lieutenant

MV Soundtrack

#59 Post by Leopard71 »

Youve obviuosly already found the site I have and done an episode by episode review for tunes..as task still ahead of me...I have my "Best of Magnum" and Best Of MV" VHS tapes recorded way way back then w hi lites from key episodes..

I find that with the passage of time, I need to have more ..of each show, so Ill end up w the box DVD sets AND the music..in time

thats like everything w me at this point in my life in time......Im 61 and have all I can do to drag my battered bod outta bed each day..and task only that which is important...but these 2 things are..and WILL happen

both shows arrived at a critical juncture of my life..my early-mid 30;s...lots was changing..lots to be desired back then..and goin thru big changes...career, divorce. the aftermath of the service..so each characrter from both shows resembled someone I knew..in real life back in Atlanta...and then in 87 my carreer took me to Miami..sometimes every 10 days..so I felt "at home" w MV....

another intro into Magnum is that IM 25% Hawaiian..mom is 50% and grandma Pure Polynesian....mom is 83 and still lives in Honolulu..and Ive only been there once for 3 wks......tried to find Robins Nest????

I had to think long to figure my deeper connection to these 2 shows,,why these?? from hundreds in the past and I think I found the answers

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by MACattack »

Should have a section talking about FAMILY GUY or SIMPSONS around here. Both of those shows parody MPI randomly from time to time, and the characters are just as colorful as on MPI!
I just don't give a damn!