Other Popular Shows from Yesteryear! What's your favorite?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#31 Post by rubber chicken »

Cool, sometime soon I'll be receiving a late Sherlock Holmes related Christmas present: a book entitled Subcutaneously, My Dear Watson, all about Holmes' opium/cocaine habit, and the use of the drug in the late nineteenth century. Needless to say I can't wait to get it! :D

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#32 Post by Tom_Magnum »

I like the A-Team and the Dukes of Hazzard besides Magnum. Although they are both cheesy, I found them goodhearted and clean (other like dirty bad tv shows nowadays).

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Frodoleader »

RTN also shows Dragnet. I've really enjoyed the episodes I've been able to see.

Hey, this is my 100th post! After almost two years on the forum I finally hit triple digits! Guess I'd better get the MPI dvds out and watch them more often. Then I could offer my two cents more!
...wait, that may not be a good thing... :wink:
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Operation Chessboard
Lieutenant Commander

#34 Post by Operation Chessboard »

[quote="Carmen"]Hey Kahunagirl!! Highlander is one of my favorites!! Not for many reasons, but one important: Adrian Paul :!: :wink:
Still like to watch Simon & Simon, Riptide and Paradise (Lee Horsley) whenever I can catch an episode[/quote]

Paradise was a great show. It was more than just a western... it was a show that embraced universal themes of love, loss, sacrifice, honor, right and wrong, good and evil and the value of family. I remember reading an article about Lee Horsley when Paradise was on the air and he mentioned that he and Tom Selleck were good friends who shared many similar hobbies such as westerns, horses and working their ranches. I remember LH also saying that TS was a big fan of the show.

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#35 Post by Italian Ice »

I can't believed nobody mentioned Mike Hammer (the one with Stacy Keach). I loved that show!

Can't believe the haven't put this one on DVD. Don't think its on TV anymore though.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Frodoleader »

Italian Ice wrote:I can't believed nobody mentioned Mike Hammer (the one with Stacy Keach). I loved that show!

Can't believe the haven't put this one on DVD. Don't think its on TV anymore though.
Yeah, Mike Hammer was a real good detective show.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Steve »

For the last few months, our "retro-station" here in Chicago has been running what they call "Saturday Night in Black & White". It's wonderfull with great old shows from the 50's and 60's. My two favorites have been Route 66 at 8:00pm followed by77 Sunset Strip at 9:00pm. The stories are sometimes non-sensical, but the guest stars are remarkable. It really got me to thinking why there was such an influx of Private Eye/Detective shows on television from the 50's up thru the 80's. Some shows made them seem so suave and romantic, ever in danger, ever solving crimes that police didn't have a clue about and the good looking woman always falling for them. Where did this come from? I somehow doubt if the life of a real Private Investigator is like the suave, smooth Efram Zimbalist, Jr. , but more like that of Luther H. Gillis .........

Italian Ice

#38 Post by Italian Ice »

Man, I don't recall many of the shows you people are talking about. I'm truly one of the "children" of this site..........

Tom_Magnum

#39 Post by Tom_Magnum »

You think you're the child of this site.... :lol:

Well, does anyone else like The A-Team or The Dukes of Hazzard? Both great shows if you ask me.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#40 Post by Doc Ibold »

I'll admit I'm a fan of the A-Team... and all the seasons are pretty good, with the exception of the 5th one.

I used to LOOOOOOOOOVE Dukes of Hazzard as a kid, but it hasn't held up too well for me, suffice it to say.

-D

Tom_Magnum

#41 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Thanks Doc! This is awesome!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#42 Post by golfmobile »

Okay, I've got one for you guys. "Evening Shade" with Burt Reynolds, Marilu Henner, Charles Durning, and Michael Jeter -- who STOLE every episode he was in! I really liked that show. I think Ossie Davis was in it too. It may have lasted only one season? But I always watched and thought it was a pretty good sit-com.

Anyone else a fan of this one?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#43 Post by Shermy »

I remember watching Evening Shade for a while in the mid-90s. It was pretty funny, and Michael Jeter was definitely a highlight. The only episode I actually remember had Jeter babysitting some kids and putting them in a box if they misbehaved. (I primarily remember that one because he also quoted Dirty Harry in it.)

Most of the action shows I liked in the 80s haven't aged very well (ie. A-Team; Dukes of Hazzard; etc.), but I've recently been watching a lot of Incredible Hulk episodes on Netflix. This is one series that shouldn't hold up at all, and yet somehow does. Bill Bixby really did a great job of keeping everything grounded.

Italian Ice

#44 Post by Italian Ice »

OMG, I was just watching an episode of Remington Steele and this group of lines came up. If any of you remember this one it's pretty funny.

Episode: Cast in Steele

Steele goes to Dorothy Lemore's mansion to discuss her fan letters, as she has someone threatening her.

Rings doorbell, and Dorothy opens a 2nd floor window........

Dorothy: Who is it?
Steele: Oh, Ms Lemore, its Remington Steele.
Dorothy: Congratulations
Steele: I'm the private detective Lloyd Nolan called you about.
Dorothy: Oh....... I expected somebody more like Tom Selleck

Don't know if anyone remembers this one. Pretty funny when I heard it though

Carmen
MPI

#45 Post by Carmen »

Remember another one: Spenser - for hire, I always liked Hawk best....
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)