The Rockford Files

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: The Rockford Files

#256 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:04 am
T.Q. wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:54 pm The airplane takedown was the highlight.
Agreed that the airplane takedown at the end in the desert (there we go - I love me some desert! :D) was the absolute highlight! In fact it felt like a mini action picture tacked on to the end of a ROCKFORD episode. This certainly wasn't the norm for a TRF episode. But on the whole I think it's a great episode - one of my favorites as a matter of fact. Might even be my 2nd favorite of the whole series! Of course I haven't seen it in probably 20 years so I'm going by that memory. I just remember that everything was great about it - from the opening with the drunk Bill Quinn getting off the bus and then getting stalked by someone under the pier, William Smith as the baddie, lots of stuff in the middle which I can't remember (LOL), and the grand finale! The only thing missing of course was Noah Beery, Jr. as Rocky, Jim's dad. Robert Donley just didn't cut it, sorry.

I'd say it's about on par with "Don't Eat the Snow" and "Cocoon". :) The only difference is that "Cocoon" (while great) is not even close to being anywhere in my top all-time favorites on Five-O. But that only goes to show how superior H5O is over TRF. :P
That scene with William Smith where Rockford puts soap all over the bathroom floor established well the cleverness of the character and his propensity to avoid getting into a fight, or at least a fair one. This made for such a great contrast with Lance White later on.

Did you know that Smith and Jack Lord worked together before the crappy final season of Hawaii Five-O? :D He appeared in Lord’s single season western series Stoney Burke. It was about 20 years in between.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#257 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:35 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:53 am
Pahonu wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:46 pm
No shoutout for MPI alum Joe Santos, Noah Beery, and Ted Ghering? I kid! No pressure. The last two actually appeared together on the MPI episode By It’s Cover.
I think it was Stuart Margolin and Ted Gehring who were in "By Its Cover", right? Coincidentally, wasn't Margolin in this one too? Noah Beery certainly wasn't.
Hey Ivan, Did you read to the end of the quote of mine you highlighted? :wink:
Which quote was this?

Pahonu

#258 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:30 pm
No shoutout for MPI alum Joe Santos, Noah Beery, and Ted Gehring? I kid! No pressure. The last two actually appeared together on the MPI episode By It’s Cover.
I think it was Stuart Margolin and Ted Gehring who were in "By Its Cover", right? Coincidentally, wasn't Margolin in this one too? Noah Beery certainly wasn't.
Which quote was this?
The one right above your question as to if Stuart Margolin and Ted Gehring were in By It’s Cover. The one where I said the two were in By It’s Cover. :D

Fleet Admiral

#259 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:13 pm
No shoutout for MPI alum Joe Santos, Noah Beery, and Ted Gehring? I kid! No pressure. The last two actually appeared together on the MPI episode By It’s Cover.
Which quote was this?
The one right above your question as to if Stuart Margolin and Ted Gehring were in By It’s Cover. The one where I said the two were in By It’s Cover. :D
Yeah, except you said it was Noah Beery and Ted Gehring who were in "By Its Cover". That's why I said it was Stuart, not Noah.

And that Stuart was also in the Rockford pilot but Noah was not.

Pahonu

#260 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:29 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:13 pm
Which quote was this?
Yeah, except you said it was Noah Beery and Ted Gehring who were in "By Its Cover". That's why I said it was Stuart, not Noah.

And that Stuart was also in the Rockford pilot but Noah was not.
You are correct sir. Ted Gehring and Stuart Margolin were in By It’s Cover.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#261 Post by Little Garwood »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:42 pmI haven’t finished the third part yet but I generally agree. It’s written in a scholarly way for a thesis so style is absent. The real problem is she only viewed 32 episodes selected fairly randomly. That’s only about a quarter, and simply not enough in my view. That said, in 1989 it was much more difficult to come by information about… well just about anything really being pre-internet, so for it’s era I think it’s reasonably thorough, if dull.
The Rockford Files was ever-present in syndication throughout the 1980s, so the author could have watched the entire series many times over...the standards for theses must have been lowered even as far back as 1989... :wink:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Fleet Admiral

#262 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. already bailed on ROCKFORD? :o :lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#263 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:56 pm T.Q. already bailed on ROCKFORD? :o :lol:
No. Went to Florida. Work-outs paused.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#264 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:06 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:56 pm T.Q. already bailed on ROCKFORD? :o :lol:
No. Went to Florida. Work-outs paused.
Ah ok. I was gonna say that I know it's a come-down from the gloriously magnificent Hawaii Five-O but it ain't thaaat bad. :lol:

I know Pahonu won't leave that statement unchallenged but hey I asked for it. :P

EDIT: I still get a kick out of you living in the Bahamas but going to Florida for your vacations. :lol: :lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#265 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:39 pm
EDIT: I still get a kick out of you living in the Bahamas but going to Florida for your vacations. :lol: :lol:
No dermatologist. Wifey needs check-ups routinely.

Plus we buy totes of stuff at Target, Walmart, etc. Stuff you can't get here or it's WAY expensive.

So we schedule little mini-jumps every 3 months or so.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#266 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:41 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:39 pm
No dermatologist. Wifey needs check-ups routinely.

Plus we buy totes of stuff at Target, Walmart, etc. Stuff you can't get here or it's WAY expensive.

So we schedule little mini-jumps every 3 months or so.
Ah ok, gotcha!

Hey honey, time to go to Florida. We're all out of milk. :lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#267 Post by T.Q. »

The Kirkoff Case

Pretty decent episode.

Young James Woods.

Seeing shades of Magnum in Jim Rockford.

Broke, cheap, snarky, gets beat up a lot, uses his friends, good at scamming his way to get info. :lol:

Fleet Admiral

#268 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:27 am The Kirkoff Case

Pretty decent episode.

Young James Woods.

Seeing shades of Magnum in Jim Rockford.

Broke, cheap, snarky, gets beat up a lot, uses his friends, good at scamming his way to get info. :lol:
Yep I like this one too. Young James Woods was good, as well as the lads - Zeus and Apollo? :lol:

Loved Jim's trick with the cigarette, except the other guy already knows the trick and punches him first. :lol: I love scenes like that on the show.

The car chase around the golf course was cool!

You didn't like this one more than the pilot, did you? The pilot is still one of the best eps of this show.

Obvious MPI connection - main guest star Julie "Texas Lightning" Sommars as Tawnia Baker. Interesting note is that Tawnia Baker was a character on THE A-TEAM (yes, spelled 'Tawnia' just like here) - a reporter friend of the A-Team's who tagged along on several of their adventures. She was played by Marla Heasley. The obvious connection between the 2 shows was of course Stephen J. Cannell so that was hardly a coincidence.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#269 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:05 am
Yep I like this one too. Young James Woods was good, as well as the lads - Zeus and Apollo? :lol:

Loved Jim's trick with the cigarette, except the other guy already knows the trick and punches him first. :lol: I love scenes like that on the show.

The car chase around the golf course was cool!

You didn't like this one more than the pilot, did you? The pilot is still one of the best eps of this show.

Obvious MPI connection - main guest star Julie "Texas Lightning" Sommars as Tawnia Baker. Interesting note is that Tawnia Baker was a character on THE A-TEAM (yes, spelled 'Tawnia' just like here) - a reporter friend of the A-Team's who tagged along on several of their adventures. She was played by Marla Heasley. The obvious connection between the 2 shows was of course Stephen J. Cannell so that was hardly a coincidence.
Yes, I liked the pilot episode better than this one.

Pahonu

#270 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:27 am The Kirkoff Case

Good character description after just two episodes, though I would add cynical, and change it to tries to avoid getting beat up a lot. :lol: The kinds of relationships he has are all different than Magnum, but there is much in common in their characters as you said.