Simon & Simon DVDs

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Simon & Simon DVDs

#226 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:21 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote:Another thing I've been meaning to bring up... what was with this "Mexican connection" during season 1? Is it just me or did it seem like every other episode had the boys either at the Mexican border or in Tijuana or something like that? Or the stories had something to do with "south of the border"? The seasons after that seemed to be more San Diego centered. But the first season almost felt like they lived and worked right on the border. Was this a "thing" in the early 80s? Mexican adventures and such? Even the first season theme sounds like it's played on the Spanish guitar or something.
Either it was an early aspect of the series never fully explored owing to the close proximity between San Diego and “South of the Border”, or it was more likely Universal wanting to make extensive use of its numerous “Mexican” sets! In subsequent seasons, S&S featured episodes taking place in fictional Latin American countries. “Anador”, “Costa Nueva”, “Costa Verde”, etc. I get a kick out of those made-up names although in its later seasons, S&S dropped that in their attempt at “grittiness” and named names, as it were.
That reminds me of all those made-up names of countries behind the Iron Curtain that Bruce Geller would come up with for MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE! Loved those! :D Visconia, Kapistania, Tolkovia, Mokrovia. :lol:

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#227 Post by Little Garwood »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:01 pm That reminds me of all those made-up names of countries behind the Iron Curtain that Bruce Geller would come up with for MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE! Loved those! :D Visconia, Kapistania, Tolkovia, Mokrovia. :lol:
I taste the bitter lime I cut with my knife as I write M:I’s fauxreign nations from S4’s The Code: San Cristobal, the United People's Republic, and Nueva Tierra in memory of our great El Lider! :lol:

Those were countries Rick Simon might have visited during his “lost years” after returning home from ‘Nam, before settling on Pirate’s Key in Florida.
Last edited by Little Garwood on Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#228 Post by Styles Bitchley »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:01 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote:Another thing I've been meaning to bring up... what was with this "Mexican connection" during season 1? Is it just me or did it seem like every other episode had the boys either at the Mexican border or in Tijuana or something like that? Or the stories had something to do with "south of the border"? The seasons after that seemed to be more San Diego centered. But the first season almost felt like they lived and worked right on the border. Was this a "thing" in the early 80s? Mexican adventures and such? Even the first season theme sounds like it's played on the Spanish guitar or something.
Either it was an early aspect of the series never fully explored owing to the close proximity between San Diego and “South of the Border”, or it was more likely Universal wanting to make extensive use of its numerous “Mexican” sets! In subsequent seasons, S&S featured episodes taking place in fictional Latin American countries. “Anador”, “Costa Nueva”, “Costa Verde”, etc. I get a kick out of those made-up names although in its later seasons, S&S dropped that in their attempt at “grittiness” and named names, as it were.
That reminds me of all those made-up names of countries behind the Iron Curtain that Bruce Geller would come up with for MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE! Loved those! :D Visconia, Kapistania, Tolkovia, Mokrovia. :lol:
The A Team also made extensive use of these imaginary countries. Dynasty also had that prince from somewhere in Europe where they wiped out a good number of the cast in a single murderous episode! Very nostalgic.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Fleet Admiral

#229 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:07 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:01 pm That reminds me of all those made-up names of countries behind the Iron Curtain that Bruce Geller would come up with for MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE! Loved those! :D Visconia, Kapistania, Tolkovia, Mokrovia. :lol:
I taste the bitter lime I cut with my knife as I write M:I’s fauxreign nations from S4’s The Code: San Cristobal, the United People's Republic, and Nueva Tierra in memory of our great El Lider! :lol:

Those were countries Rick Simon might have visited during his “lost years” after returning home from ‘Nam, before settling on Pirate’s Key in Florida.
Unfortunately I never made it to "The Code". I saw the first 3 seasons (all excellent!) by renting the discs from Netflix, then got sidetracked. It's been quite a few years now. I need to get back into it. Luckily they just released the 7-season Blu-Ray set which I hear is AMAZING! I did, however, order the M:I series soundtrack that was released by La-La-Land Records a few years ago! Loved hearing all those scores by the different composers, in particular Schifrin and Gerald Fried. The Fried rendition of the main M:I theme is my absolute favorite, heard during the end getaway in "Odds on Evil" (complete with a James Bond Aston Martin DB5, in red). :D Now, if we could only get the complete Five-O soundtrack - I'd be over the moon! But it's looking doubtful we'll ever get it. :?

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#230 Post by Little Garwood »

I could go on (and on) about TV music!

Joseph Conlan composed a great deal of Simon & Simon music that I’d love to drive around to as it played! According to the all-knowing, infalliable IMDb, Conlan scored 111 episodes of S&S; I’d just be happy with a 60-minute sampler!

Among many, many fine efforts, Conlan did a superb noir score for S3’s The Shadow of Sam Penny, with an opening theme reminiscent of Farewell, My Lovely.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#231 Post by Little Garwood »

American Justice, the 1986 film starring Simon & Simon legends Gerald McRaney, Jameson Parker, and Jeannie Wilson is presently on the ‘Tube, in 720p. Watch it while you can.

~Tom Selleck

Fleet Admiral

#232 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Wasn't this thing called JACKALS or something like that?

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#233 Post by Little Garwood »

Season and Episode Number: Season 5, Episode 2
Episode Title: Burden of the Beast
Original Airdate: October 10, 1985
Writer: Paul Robert Coyle (teleplay); Paul A. Magistretti (story)
Director: Sigmund Neufeld, Jr.

Synopsis: Joey, a chimpanzee trained in limited sign language, is the only witness--and suspect--to its scientist owner's murder.

Guest Cast: Gretchen Corbett (Lisa Cambio); Hank Garrett (Paul Dreyer); Than Wyenn (Dr. Stefan Nyri); Tommy Madden (Stretch Mooney).

Rating (1-10 stars): 7/10

Review/Observations: Joey the Chimp's vocalizing sounds completely overdubbed.

Gerald McRaney and Gretchen Corbett both handle the chimp throughout the episode, but Jameson Parker never does. I wonder if it is customary for just a couple of actors to form a bond with a chimp for expediency, or if the chimp just didn't get along with JP!

It's genuinely touching and actually quite sad when Joey, not understanding what has happened, affectionately puts a blanket over the body of the murdered Doctor Nyri (Than Wyenn; whose character comes across as sort of a cold-blooded jerk in his brief time on screen).

Joey the chimp is probably inspired by Koko the gorilla, who learned sign language and kept pet kittens. Joey flips through a National Geographic magazine which has a gorilla on the cover. Is it Koko?

There's a slowly circling 360 degree camera pan for the full duration of the scene in Town's office; the pan lasts for over a minute.

Lots of time spent on A.J.'s deck. One scene is when Rick and Marlowe try to give A.J. a surprise birthday present of Marlowe fetching the morning newspaper. They also meet Lisa Cambio there. Later, the Simons mull over what to do after Town says he can't help them without more evidence.

There is rare footage of the front of A.J.'s house, as well as the narrow street in front of it. There's also a shot of Dreyer walking alongside the walkway at the back of the house, and it's not the set version, either.

This being an animal-centric episode, Marlowe gets more screen time than usual, including one scene where he romps around Cecilia’s house and Joey dumps a bx of cereal over Marlowe’s head—he is unfazed by this! Joey then proceeds to lock Marlowe in Cecilia’s coat closet.

Temple Hill's news report on Joey sounds sensationalistic and alarmist. The media would never do that nowadays!

Rick's usually-never-seen associate Carlos Escobar provides snakes--some of them poisonous--to the Simons for their Aussie shtick. "Carlos is generally very reliable with reptiles!" Rick admits there is one missing rattlesnake among the 17 or 18 rattlesnakes he brought A.J.’s house. Rick also thinks he may have miscounted!

Dreyer is embezzling from his own company by cooking the books and pocketing the difference.

"Stretch" Mooney, a diminutive associate of the Simons whom A.J. suggests they employ figures in the apprending of Dreyer. Stretch, dressed in a gorilla suit, complains that "It's eighty degrees in the shade, I'm in an ape costume, and your air conditioner's on the blink. This is above and beyond the call of duty, guys." Stretch will later appear in The Skull of Nostrodamus (S5 Ep5).

Gerald McRaney looks to be tired of the chimp by episode's end if the awkward face Mackie makes means anything, when Rick gives Joey a present of a duplicate of his hat. However, it is a nice scene before that when Rick communicates with Joey using sign language.

Simon Back Story: Mrs. McDermott, Cecilia’s neighbor, admonishes Rick: "I should think a man of your age would be able to buy his own flowers. Well don't let me catch you catch you at it again!" Rick: "Oh, no ma'am. I remember what you did to my baseballs."

Notable Use of Music: The underscore in this episode is oddly low in the sound mix. It's especially low in the scene where Lisa Cambios is being tailed to Cecilia's house, a sleek-sounding marimba-keyboard cue. The low volume may be the mastering on the DVD or an attempt to make this story more serious by toning down the typically action-and-suspense-oriented score. Brief acoustic slide guitar cue in the establishing shot outside the Department of Animal Control. Cecelia's neighbor Mrs. McDermott sings a few bars of "Strangers in the Night."

Memorable Dialogue: "My brother establishes an instant rapport with some of our clients." A.J., speaking about Rick and chimp Joey getting along so well.

A.J: "Did I wake you?"
Cecelia: "No, I was making fudge. I always make fudge at dawn."

Undercover Shtick: At the Department of Animal Control, A.J. is dressed in Country & Western style long-sleeve plaid shirt, Ten-Gallon hat, and light blue jeans. "Hi, you got an elephant out here...My name is Steener. Uh, I drive a rig for Tex-Mex Saw...I just pretty near got wiped out by an elephant on the 805...

Rick and A.J. at the Safari Stars animal rental office, which looks like a set. The brothers dress in safari outfits. Rick wears dark aviator sunglasses, and a glued-on Van Dyke beard. Both he and A.J. speak with an Australian accent. The funniest bit is when A.J. claims to have shot a charging rhino "between the 'orns." When the receptionist tells him that Rhinos only have a single horn, Rick says that he shot two rhinos charging side by side with one bullet.

1980s-ness: Rick's hair and mustache are closely cropped, and A.J. sports his Little Boy haircut. Rick also wears his red, Magnumesque Aloha shirt with light blue jeans.

A.J. Wears the grey, black, and white short sleeve shirt in the final scene.

Town wears an avocado, brown, light blue, and gold striped short-sleeve shirt tucked into his jeans.

I thought Gretchen Corbett's permed hairdo in the fourth-season Magnum, P.I. episode The Look was supposed to be a way of deglamorizing her Holly Fox/Hudson character in order to disappoint her many Vietnam-era listeners, but Corbett sports the same kinky-curly hairdo here in Burden of the Beast, which aired October 3 1985, over a year after The Look, which means that doing that to her hair was intentional. Oh, the 1980s...

Gretchen Corbett also wears a hideous medium blue overall jumpsuit.

San Diego References: While attempting to read the Marlowe-damaged newspaper, Rick reads aloud that "The Padres scored six runs in the third inning" against New York, who later tied and won the game in extra innings.

~Tom Selleck

Fleet Admiral

#234 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Why does it say S&S at 8pm on CBS in that TV guide pic? MPI was at 8pm, followed by S&S at 9.

I remember "Burden of the Beast" being one of the better season 5 episodes. Let's just say it was unique using a chimp as a "witness" (and suspect) to a murder. I remember the episode had a nice mix of humor as well as darker suspense. I remember Gretchen Corbett being unrecognizable with that 80s frizzy hairdo. She looked nothing like she did on ROCKFORD. I think that's all I remember. :D

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#235 Post by Little Garwood »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:42 am Why does it say S&S at 8pm on CBS in that TV guide pic? MPI was at 8pm, followed by S&S at 9.
I think the above ad might be from a rerun of this episode, which would have been after CBS broke up the band by moving MPI to Saturday nights and pushing S&S back an hour on Thursday to Magnum’s previous slot. Magnum was rated #46 for the season whereas S&S was #29. Both shows were trounced in the ratings by The Cosby Show and Family Ties.

That midseason schedule shuffle, and cultural “sea change” of the public’s changing taste away from detective shows to sitcoms, along with having just started high school the previous fall, was tragic, death-of-childhood stuff for those of us of a certain age, meaning me. :wink: Everyone else seemed just fine! :lol:
IvanTheTerrible wrote: I remember "Burden of the Beast" being one of the better season 5 episodes. Let's just say it was unique using a chimp as a "witness" (and suspect) to a murder. I remember the episode had a nice mix of humor as well as darker suspense. I remember Gretchen Corbett being unrecognizable with that 80s frizzy hairdo. She looked nothing like she did on ROCKFORD. I think that's all I remember. :D
I originally rated this one an 8/10, but was less enamored with it this time out. The dialed down music is disappointing, as I like composer Joseph Conlan’s music, so I docked a point from Burden of the Beast.

~Tom Selleck

Fleet Admiral

#236 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:45 am
That midseason schedule shuffle, and cultural “sea change” of the public’s changing taste away from detective shows to sitcoms, along with having just started high school the previous fall, was tragic, death-of-childhood stuff for those of us of a certain age, meaning me. :wink: Everyone else seemed just fine! :lol:
I'm with you. Although I liked sitcoms (not so much 80s sitcoms) I always gravitated more towards crime dramas. Somehow it always felt more "substantial" to me.

Quick thing I just remembered. Not too long ago I watched the 7th season episode "A Firm Grasp of Reality" with Fionnula Flanagan as a woman with a split personality. Not sure if you plan to review season 7 (or when that would happen) but just wanted your quick take away of that episode. Honestly I didn't know what to make of it. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. I guess it's a season 7 thing. :?

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#237 Post by Little Garwood »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:18 pm Quick thing I just remembered. Not too long ago I watched the 7th season episode "A Firm Grasp of Reality" with Fionnula Flanagan as a woman with a split personality. Not sure if you plan to review season 7 (or when that would happen) but just wanted your quick take away of that episode. Honestly I didn't know what to make of it. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. I guess it's a season 7 thing. :?
My goal is to do seasons 5-8 (aka “The Wilderness Years”) Maybe not nonstop, as I will no doubt need a break down the line, but I’d like to review them.

A Firm Grasp of Reality is a good episode; it gets an 8 out of 10 from me. As I recall, Jeff Sturges composed the score and provides a standout cue when Fionnula Flanagan has a panic attack in a parking garage (while wearing an ensemble featuring white, tassled boots no less). Five-0 and MPI alumnus John McLiam is in this episode, too (though thankfully not in white, tassled boots!)

This might not be a “firm grasp of reality”, but I’d much rather watch A Firm Grasp of Reality than I would MPI’s Echoes of the Mind.

~Tom Selleck

Fleet Admiral

#238 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:40 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:18 pm Quick thing I just remembered. Not too long ago I watched the 7th season episode "A Firm Grasp of Reality" with Fionnula Flanagan as a woman with a split personality. Not sure if you plan to review season 7 (or when that would happen) but just wanted your quick take away of that episode. Honestly I didn't know what to make of it. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. I guess it's a season 7 thing. :?
My goal is to do seasons 5-8 (aka “The Wilderness Years”) Maybe not nonstop, as I will no doubt need a break down the line, but I’d like to review them.

A Firm Grasp of Reality is a good episode; it gets an 8 out of 10 from me. As I recall, Jeff Sturges composed the score and provides a standout cue when Fionnula Flanagan has a panic attack in a parking garage (while wearing an ensemble featuring white, tassled boots no less). Five-0 and MPI alumnus John McLiam is in this episode, too (though thankfully not in white, tassled boots!)

This might not be a “firm grasp of reality”, but I’d much rather watch A Firm Grasp of Reality than I would MPI’s Echoes of the Mind.
Yes, I do recall the "creepy" or suspenseful music that plays in the parking garage scene. This type of thing seemed to be very popular during the later part of the 80s. Dark alleyways, parking garages, subway stations, apartment corridors, elevators, etc. Just thinking about the opening titles of THE EQUALIZER all these things are featured very prominently in it. There was a stalker around every corner!

There's something that bugged me about Flanagan's "performance" though. Either she was too OTT or something but somehow she seemed to be trying too hard to sell us on this Jekyll/Hyde split personality thing. Didn't work for me. I liked her more in "John Doe", an episode that is certainly superior to this one and one of the best from season 3.

In addition to John McLiam, you've got Five-O alums Linden Chiles and Tricia O'Neil.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#239 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:42 am Why does it say S&S at 8pm on CBS in that TV guide pic? MPI was at 8pm, followed by S&S at 9.
In the Central Time Zone the networks play the entire prime time lineup one hour earlier, or at least they used too. I don’t know know if this is the reason, but it’s possible.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#240 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:01 pm
Hi Ivan,
Geller was good but he was a piker next to the Three Stooges, they created whole maps dotted with the names of newly invented nations and geography:

Atisket, Atasket, Big Zipper, Canabeer, Drinka Gin, Gunga Gin, Great Mitten, Hang Gover, Hot Foot, He-Ran, I-Ran, She-Ran, Jerkola, Kegoboozia, Mikey Finlen, Mish Mosh,Pish Posh, Moronica, Shmowland, Staywayoff, Toot Sweet, Wing Ding, Woo-Woo, Udopia, Yom Kippers. Eye Land, He Land, She Land, Tail Land, We Land.

Dumbell Mtns. and Schnozzle Mtns. And Ferblongent, I looked it up and it's a Yiddish word meaning confused.

Plus various waterways: Bay of Window, Borsht Island, Bourbon River, Cant Sea, Giva Dam, Isle Asker, Look Sea,Straights of Rye, Vulgar River, Hot Sea, Tot Sea, Schmo Lake, Specific Ocean.
Plus an island divided in two: Isle-Liquor and Yule-Liquor. That snuck by the censors.

Not to mention the Tomb of Rooten Tooten. My 4th grade classmate Chipper memorably replied "Rooten Tooten" when asked which pharaoh's tomb was famously discovered in the 1920's.
Half the boys in the class thought the same thing, as kids in my neighborhood had been brain washed by endless reruns of the Stooges on the Officer Joe Bolton Show on WPIX in the 60's.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moe, Larry and Curly: "For duty and humanity!"...Men In Black (1934) only Stooge flick to be Oscar nominated
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.