Other Popular Shows from Yesteryear! What's your favorite?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Steve »

James J. Walters wrote:steve, the OP said, "Please try to limit it to crime drama or detective based, or if it has a slight twist, that's fine (ala A-Team or GAH)" otherwise I would have added about half the shows on your list. ;)

Oooops.......My Bad (A.D.D.).......In that case, my amended list is;

Mannix
I Spy
Vegas
&
Mission Impossible

Artie Canoe
Captain

#17 Post by Artie Canoe »

Hogan's Heroes!
"I forgot my loincloth and spear." - Luther H. Gillis

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

#18 Post by Kahunagirl »

Carmen said
Highlander is one of my favorites!! Not for many reasons, but one important: Adrian Paul
And just like TS, Adrian never seems to age. I know a lot of 50-year old men (he'll be 50 next year) -- heck, I'm married to one! -- and none of them look as good as he does. Just like TS back in his Friends days.

Kahunagirl

Carmen
MPI

#19 Post by Carmen »

Yep!! If he`d only pick some better roles. I mean look at TS, his Jesse Stone movies are just great, AP made Highlander The source!! :shock: I`d not watch this for money after what I read about it.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Seaver41 »

funny....but notice the shift from private detective type shows then to cop dramas now.........

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#21 Post by Italian Ice »

To me, I think Greatest American Hero is the most underrated show of the 80's that didn't get a fair shot. It had more potential that pretty much any show. if you look at wikipedia, it's a sad story: The lawsuit with DC comics because of the resemblances to Super Man, the main character having to change his name because its the same name as the guy who tried to kill Ronald Regan (Ralph Hinkley to Ralph Hanley), the commercials that made the show look like it was for kids in order to discredit it entirely among other things. Hopefully the movie will do some justice, as this show could have also gone for 8 strong seasons if not more.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#22 Post by golfmobile »

Let's see, how far can we go back?

Original Mickey Mouse Club
My Friend Flicka
Fury

Oh, wait, limited to "law and order" types?

Bronco, Sugarfoot, Maverick, Riverboat, Yancey Derringer, Stoney Burke (Yes, SL, I remember our discussion of Jack Lord in that one -- rather fits with Robert Conrad's first TV show was Hawaiian Eye, not Wild, Wild West as most folks remember)

Okay, cowboy good guys don't count?

Hawaiian Eye
Surfside Six

OH! And Laugh-In in college! Monday nights at the student center!!

Or more recently (1970s?!!?) McMillan and Wife (I slept in a football jersey because Susan St. James did)
Come 1980s, didn't watch GAH faithfully but LOVED the theme song -- I had it playing on my turntable (!!!!!) to psych up my good mood one time before going out to meet a bunch of people I worked with, including my CURRENT boss (how ironic!!!), on whom I had a HUGE crush in 1982 because he was tall, dark, and handsome, had a big moustache and SORT OF looked like TS. The song on the radio still makes me just . . . . happy!

Other "don't misses" prior to VCRs were the comedies -- M*A*S*H*, Cheers, Mary Tyler Moore.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#23 Post by ConchRepublican »

Kahunagirl wrote:From II's original list:

Wild Wild West

Kahunagirl

And here I thought I'd be the one to unearth this gem. I loved this series. Great minds, great minds! :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#24 Post by Agatha »

Sooooo. Italian Ice must be a young whippersnapper!

I was on the same wave length as Kahunagirl. I loved George Peppard in Banacek, Pierce Brosnon in Remington Steele, Jack Klugman in Quincy and James Garner in anything...I mean, Rockford Files. Robert Conrad was also a favorite of mine...the only other set of DVDs that I own is Wild, Wild West and I don't think I missed a single Black Sheep Squadron!

Dont' get me started on cowboys!!

:)

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#25 Post by Italian Ice »

Well lets just say that I was about 3 years old when MPI first aired.....
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#26 Post by SelleckLover »

Agatha wrote:
Dont' get me started on cowboys!!
golfmobile and I have had a few discussions on this subject. We agree that Quigley Down Under is TS's best cowboy movie ever! It's a great story, wonderful scenery and it shows us what a truly good actor Mr. Selleck is. I think that "cowboy" is what Selleck does best. (JMHO!)

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#27 Post by SelleckLover »

Sorry I got off-subject on that last post! I never missed an episode of "Mod Squad"... and remember, this was in the days way before DVRs and VCRs! Never missing an episode of a TV series required quite a commitment back then. Although I could say the same about The Twilight Zone! :D

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Little Garwood »

I have many favorites, especially The Persuaders!, but recently I've become obsessed with Jeremy Brett's interpretation of Sherlock Holmes.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#29 Post by rubber chicken »

Ahh, I went through those about a year ago, and I looked forward to each new show. A magnificent series that has a special place in my heart.

It's been talked about a bit in these forums, here for instance.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Little Garwood »

I remember the Brett Holmes being on when I was a kid, but didn't appreciate its sophistication. I've just begun the Complete Works, which I got for Christmas. Great reading.