It Got By The Censor/In Jokes

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: It Got By The Censor/In Jokes

#16 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

In Joke:
In the Wagon Train series, the 1960 episode "Colter Craven Story" was directed by John Ford, one of the greatest movie directors in history.
The series starred that long time member of Ford's stock company of actors, Ward Bond.
As a favor to Bond, Ford directed and brought along other members of his crew, Hank Worden, Ken Curtis and one Michael Morris,
all familiar faces to fans of Westerns.
This flashback episode recounts Major Adams(Bond) service in the Civil War.
On the first night of the 2 day Battle of Shiloh, Adams is meeting with General Grant by a campfire as more officers approach.
In the deep darkness General Sherman rides up and says,
"Sam, Buells up. Means we can resume fighting in the morning."
The aforementioned Michael Morris (as he is listed in the credits) in this very darkly lit scene, plays Sherman. Though you can't see his face.
The sharp eared viewer will note how much General Sherman sounds like John Wayne. That's because it is the Duke, acting under the name Michael Morris.
His birth name was Marion Michael Morrison.
Wayne again portrayed Sherman in How the West Was Won(1963) where he is seen talking with Grant at Shiloh in a scene staged so like this episode there can
be no doubt Ford swiped it and inserted it almost intact for that movie.
The far majority of people watching this Wagon Train episode have no idea that John Wayne appears in it.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Guys,
If you are feeling like the walls are closing in and could go for something completely different, how about a road trip Down Under?
You know how Paul Hogan made 20 movies and all but 3 are crap?
"Charlie and Boots"(2010) is one of the three.
Hogan's wife dies and he is lost in grief. To snap him out of it his son takes him on a 2,500 kilometer road trip from Victoria in the south to the far
northern tip of the country, a rural cape jutting into the sea.
The scenery at times is breath taking, a welcome distraction from current events, so much so you almost feel like you are along for the ride.
An interesting aspect from this Jersey boy's point of view is how similar the rural Australian culture is to that of our Western and Southern areas.
Charlie and his son Boots aren't Magnum and TC but they do have a few interactions with the ladies that left me laughing out loud.
Hogan's joke about the origins of making the sign of the cross alone makes this flick worth watching.
Is this a all time great comedy? No, but it's heart is in the right place and the pluses make it well worth the trip.
Just to explain one segment, unlike our love affair with the Corvette, for some reason the car beloved by all Aussie males is the Holden of whatever
vintage., they all look like a 1965 Rambler to me. So at one point when the boys visit a Holden museum, it's a signifying cross generational moment
for Boots and his Pop.
By the way, Oz is the native's nickname for Australia, though you will get different stories as to it's origins.
My Sydneysider pal Melody says it's because in the Wizard of Oz, an Australian kookaburra's(once heard never forgotten) warble/call is heard when Dorothy
and crew enter the dark forest.
You also will learn the local patois such as "hammering the hamster."
The In Joke in this flick that makes it worthy of this thread?
At the end of the credits, Boots and Charlie are traveling over the Sydney Harbour bridge, where a young Hogan worked on high for years painting,
as well as heroically saving many people from jumping.
They look up from their car in awe, causing Boots to marvel at how big the bridge is. Charlie(Hogan) quips
"Yeah...imagine having to paint the bastard."
This film is free to all on Tubi, no commercials:

Watch Charlie and Boots (2010) Full Movie Free Streaming Online | Tubi

It's also on YouTube, with commercials.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Fri May 22, 2020 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Ed Asner hung a photo of himself when he was a High School football player on the wall of Lou Grant's office all thru the run of the Mary Tyler Moore Show.
When he appeared in 1965 on a season 3 "The Fugitive" episode, "Three Cheers for Little Boy Blue" the same photo is on the wall of his crummy apartment.
Sometimes I worry that I have too much time on my hands, to notice this sort of thing.

In another MTM episode, a photo of a crooked politician is shown onscreen, it was of Mary's then husband, the producer Grant Tinker.
And in the opening credits of MTM, there is a long distance shot of a couple on a sort of alcove/balcony half way up a building, it was
Mary and hubby Grant.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by KENJI »

Good eyes there Dobie! :luther:
I love picking out things like that too when watching a show/series.
Keep them coming!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote:Good eyes there Dobie! :luther:
Keep them coming!
Hi Kenji,
The Z LIVING Network on Comcast(channel 1495) runs Danger Man starring Patrick McGoohan as John Drake daily at 2 pm.
This British import was re-titled Secret Agent when it ran in the US in the 1960's.
It had a great opening theme song, which was dropped in America in favor of "Secret Agent Man" by Johnny Rivers which was a huge hit.
A 1966 episode titled "Not So Jolly Roger" guest starred Patsy Ann Noble as Suzy Wade, a DJ forced to work on a offshore pirate radio station.

In Joke - While a fight erupts in the end scene, the record playing on the turntable is "He Who Rides The Tiger", a minor hit for the aforementioned
Patsy as she was a singer/actress.

After "Secret Agent" ended McGoohan starred in the brilliant 17 episode cult classic "The Prisoner" as Number Six.
  McGoohan played Number Six  so exactly like John Drake that it was like a wink to the audience. 
He had to officially deny that Number Six was Drake lest royalties had to be shared with some of the talent behind "Secret Agent".
Though for all practical purposes it was a completely different series and light years better than "Danger Man".
The Prisoner though so resonates with modern audiences it could have been made today.
Here are links to the two above mentioned quite snappy  theme songs on YouTube, I hope they work:

(3) Danger Man Theme - Edwin Astley Orchestra - 1965 45rpm - YouTube
(3) JOHNNY RIVERS - Secret Agent Man 1966 - YouTube
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by KENJI »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
KENJI wrote:Good eyes there Dobie! :luther:
Keep them coming!
Hi Kenji,
The Z LIVING Network on Comcast(channel 1495) runs Danger Man starring Patrick McGoohan as John Drake daily at 2 pm.
This British import was re-titled Secret Agent when it ran in the US in the 1960's.
It had a great opening theme song, which was dropped in America in favor of "Secret Agent Man" by Johnny Rivers which was a huge hit.
A 1966 episode titled "Not So Jolly Roger" guest starred Patsy Ann Noble as Suzy Wade, a DJ forced to work on a offshore pirate radio station.

In Joke - While a fight erupts in the end scene, the record playing on the turntable is "He Who Rides The Tiger", a minor hit for the aforementioned
Patsy as she was a singer/actress.

After "Secret Agent" ended McGoohan starred in the brilliant 17 episode cult classic "The Prisoner" as Number Six.
McGoohan played Number Six so exactly like John Drake that it was like a wink to the audience.
He had to officially deny that Number Six was Drake lest royalties had to be shared with some of the talent behind "Secret Agent".
Though for all practical purposes it was a completely different series and light years better than "Danger Man" which is now showing it's age.
The Prisoner though so resonates with modern audiences it could have been made today.
Here are links to the two above mentioned quite snappy theme songs on YouTube, I hope they work:

(3) Danger Man Theme - Edwin Astley Orchestra - 1965 45rpm - YouTube
(3) JOHNNY RIVERS - Secret Agent Man 1966 - YouTube
Five Luthers for you my friend! :luther: :luther: :luther: :luther: :luther:
Thanks for sharing!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote:[quote=
Thanks for sharing!
Hi KENJI,
I love those five "Luthers"!
You have inspired me to share one of my favorites. To wit:

Noted character actor/director/producer James Hong appeared on Bonanza as the cousin of the Cartwright's cook Hop Sing.
As "Number One Cousin" he cooked for the Cartwrights in a few episodes when Victor Sen Yung(Hop Sing) had other commitments. 
Fast forward 30 years to another NBC series, Seinfeld, and James Hong is now playing the maitre d' in a Chinese restaurant in the noted
episode "The Chinese Restaurant".
 In Joke:   
 While George Costanza and pals are waiting for their table, James Hong calls out the name of the next party to be seated, "Cartwright, party of four".
I guess Ben, Adam, Hoss and Little Joe had a yen for General Tso's Chicken that night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If God did not intend for us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"...John Cleese

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by KENJI »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
KENJI wrote:[quote=
Thanks for sharing!
Hi KENJI,
I love those five "Luthers"!
You have inspired me to share one of my favorites. To wit:

Noted character actor/director/producer James Hong appeared on Bonanza as the cousin of the Cartwright's cook Hop Sing.
As "Number One Cousin" he cooked for the Cartwrights in a few episodes when Victor Sen Yung(Hop Sing) had other commitments.
Fast forward 30 years to another NBC series, Seinfeld, and James Hong is now playing the maitre d' in a Chinese restaurant in the noted
episode "The Chinese Restaurant".
In Joke:

While George Costanza and pals are waiting for their table, James Hong calls out the name of the next party to be seated, "Cartwright, party of four".
I guess Ben, Adam, Hoss and Little Joe had a yen for General Tso's Chicken that night.

Hi Dobie,

I think that one deserves a Magnum too! :luther: :luther: :luther: :luther: :luther: :magnum:

Here is the scene you're talking about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na0JFgce9SM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If God did not intend for us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"...John Cleese

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote:
Hi Dobie,
I think that one deserves a Magnum too! :luther: :luther: :luther: :luther: :luther: :magnum:
Here is the scene you're talking about...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na0JFgce9SM

Hi KENJI,
Thanks for the link.
Another "It Got By the Censor" -
Sea Hunt episode #68, "The Female" is infamous for shenanigans that no one seemed to notice at the time.
In a underwater cave scene the stunt man filling in for star Lloyd Bridges repeatedly, over several minutes, gropes and pinches the breasts of the actress next to him.
 You might wonder how this could happen, but ZIV productions also did Highway Patrol.
In the 77th episode "Hostage Copter" two robbers exiting a diner come upon a young waitress(Barbara Eden) outside and decide to take her with them.
As they drag her to their getaway car one of the actors(Ray Quinn who was playing thug Ted Ellis) gropes her breast till she slaps his hand away.
This was filmed in 1957 so Eden was 26 here but looks 17. The same year she did a "I Love Lucy".
Legendary lech Desi Arnaz was so determined to have her he literally drunkenly chased her all over the lot till she found refuge in Lucy's private office where she
sobbed into Lucy's arms. I guess 60 years ago women had to put up with that in the work place.
Or maybe just 15 years ago on The Tonite Show. 
Jay Leno yucked it up when he showed the groping scene from Sea Hunt for his audience. I don't think that would go over in 2020.

"Schnooks rush in where wise men fear to tread"...Grandpa Munster
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Fri May 22, 2020 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by KENJI »

Hi Dobie,

Yeah, Lloyd and Desi would be in a whole lot of hot water today - poor Barabara:!:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote:Hi Dobie,

Yeah, Lloyd and Desi would be in a whole lot of hot water today - poor Barabara:!:
Kenji.
No no, not Lloyd Bridges, he did hardly any of the actual underwater scenes and none in deep water like in this episode.
It was a stunt double who groped the actress. Bridges was known as a decent family man, his wife guested on
Sea Hunt and his sons Beau and Jeff appeared in a couple of episodes.
Poor Barbara Eden, she even went on USO Tours with Bob Hope, the All Time King of Randy Skirt Chasers.
Hope infamously put the moves on Penny "Blondie" Singleton, refusing to take no for an answer, trying to follow her into her on location
dressing room when Penny turned and kicked him in the nads, Hope crumpling into a ball amid cheers from every woman in the area
as well as the men.
For years afterwards Bing Crosby would rattle Hope on the golf course by suddenly yelling
"LOOK OUT! Penny Singleton has been sighted on the course!"
I loved Bob Hope movies growing up, still watch the "Road" and "My Favorite Blonde/My Favorite Brunette" etc. movies.
And appreciate all the morale boosting he did for the troops for 50 years. But he was a total bastard when it came to
women, maybe he just reflected the values of people born over 100 years ago as to what was acceptable.
Hollywood wasn't just your average company town and maybe Hope thought of women as another perk.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Fri May 22, 2020 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by K Hale »

Not everybody born 100 years ago thought that was acceptable. You mentioned that when she kicked him in the nuts, all the women and men in the area cheered.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by KENJI »

Hi Dobie!
Thanks for setting the record straight about Lloyd! :oops:
Good to hear Penny put Bob in the fetal position! :lol:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

K Hale wrote:Not everybody born 100 years ago thought that was acceptable. You mentioned that when she kicked him in the nuts, all the women and men in the area cheered.
That's true, but that Hope wasn't generally liked by the "little people" in the studios probably entered into it as well.
I am not defending how aggressive he was with the ladies, rather people did think differently then, women were not deemed men's equal.
For example exploiting women on the casting couch scored big yucks as a punch line in jokes.
My mom learned to be a nurse at a teaching hospital in Chicago circa 1940 and the interns as well as doctors thought they had a right to pat the nurses rears
in the elevator.
I asked her why they didn't slap one of the mutts and she said they didn't dare, the nurse would have been expelled.
Contrast the respectable doctors with Al Capone's brother who ran a bar next to the hospital where the nurses went after their shift.
He was a perfect gentleman and the nurses felt comfortable unwinding there as he kept a fatherly watch over them.
I wish I had never found out the dark side of Bob Hope because he was one of my all time favorite movie stars plus his USO work is a shining legacy.
Maybe it's better we don't take too deep a look into our Hollywood idols.
If any of you are Marlon Brando fans, stick to enjoying his movies and don't delve into his personal life. Yeech.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by K Hale »

I’ll have to say again, some people thought differently then and some didn’t. I don’t think Penny Singleton thought differently, or Barbara Eden, or the nurses who were molested in the elevator.

Glad to know about Bob Hope as I was never a fan of his anyway.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!