Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#1291 Post by T.Q. »

A Stranger in His Grave

HIGGY BABY! :higgins:

The Estate!

HIGGY BABY at The Estate.

Pretty good episode.

Some twists and turns.

Funny slicing and dicing the scenes to make the estate seem out in a cane field.

MartinHafer is right. Little dumb dropping the body out of a plane to blow the whole gig.

MPI: John Hillerman, Edward Sheehan, Winston Char, Marika Yamato
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#1292 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:56 pm A Stranger in His Grave

HIGGY BABY! :higgins:

The Estate!

HIGGY BABY at The Estate.

Pretty good episode.

Some twists and turns.

Funny slicing and dicing the scenes to make the estate seem out in a cane field.

MartinHafer is right. Little dumb dropping the body out of a plane to blow the whole gig.

MPI: John Hillerman, Edward Sheehan, Winston Char, Marika Yamato
I thought you might enjoy this one! :) What are the chances that one of the two episodes in which Hillerman guest-starred would actually be filmed at Robin's Nest??? Where Hillerman's character actually lives!! :shock: He does a very good job in this role, with his condescending manner (more mean-spirited than Higgy) towards his poor secretary. Overall it's an okay episode. Nothing special though. Typical season 10 episode.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1293 Post by T.Q. »

A Death in the Family

And this is why I asked that poster to please not post all the episode info days before I watched for first time for fear of spoilers.

SHOCKED! Shocked I tells ya.

Not Chin... Nooooo! :x

I knew he eventually left the show but not like this. :shock:

Good episode overall.

Killed in grand style as was the response by Five-0.

Manu Tupou was very good. He should have been a bigger actor.

McGarrett should have blown the baddie away in the last scene. We'd have to wait 4 or 5 more years (?) for something so bold in primetime TV.

RIP Chin Ho Kelley

MPI: Manu Tupou (Charlie), Elissa Dulce Hoopai, Rodney Philip Aiu, Danny Kamekona, Kinau Wilder, Peter Kalua,
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1294 Post by T.Q. »

The Sleeper

A so-so episode to start Season 11.

Some interesting things if you choose not to dissect the heck out of it.

We saw the hypnosis thing a while back already.

Kept me semi-interested. Wasn't great. Was okay.

I like Hotlip's Dad from MASH (Andrew Duggan).

Ornery old actor. :lol:

MPI: Wayne Oxford, Lani Kim, Don Pomes, Vic Leon

Fleet Admiral

#1295 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:26 pm A Death in the Family

And this is why I asked that poster to please not post all the episode info days before I watched for first time for fear of spoilers.

SHOCKED! Shocked I tells ya.

Not Chin... Nooooo! :x

I knew he eventually left the show but not like this. :shock:

Good episode overall.

Killed in grand style as was the response by Five-0.

Manu Tupou was very good. He should have been a bigger actor.

McGarrett should have blown the baddie away in the last scene. We'd have to wait 4 or 5 more years (?) for something so bold in primetime TV.

RIP Chin Ho Kelley

MPI: Manu Tupou (Charlie), Elissa Dulce Hoopai, Rodney Philip Aiu, Danny Kamekona, Kinau Wilder, Peter Kalua,
If you didn't know about Chin's fate ahead of time then this is indeed a shocker for ya!! :shock: Poor Chin. :cry:

Definitely one of the top season 10 episodes and the perfect episode to close the season. As always with episodes like these, Jack Lord gets to shine. He's always really good with the emotional scenes and where he gets to grit his teeth and show his rage. He's boiling mad here, as you can imagine. The finale where he gets Jimmy Rego to grovel and beg for his life is classic, of course, but my personal favorite scene is their confrontation in McG's office earlier where McG is boiling and delivers my favorite line in all of Five-O -- "Don't you EVER call me "cop". The name is McGarrett and the title is MISTER". I was floored the first time I saw this scene! That's an Emmy win right there!

Reni Santoni is really good as the murderous punk Jimmy Rego from San Francisco. You really want to just cave his head in every time he's on screen. A really vile excuse for a human being. Interesting San Fran connection - Reni Santoni played Harry Callahan's first partner (Chico Gonzalez) in the classic DIRTY HARRY back in 1971, set in San Fran of course. I agree also about Manu Tupou who was very good too as Cappy Pahoa, head of the Kumu (Hawaiian crime syndicate). His walking a fine line between protecting Rego and not antagonizing McG was very well played. He had some really good exchanges with both McG and with Rego.

Fleet Admiral

#1296 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Well, it's that time again (YAY!)... ranking season 10.

1. Tsunami
2. A Death in the Family
3. Deep Cover
4. Up the Rebels
5. Angel in Blue
6. Frozen Assets
7. East Wind, Ill Wind
8. Tall on the Wave
9. The Friends of Joey Kalima
10. A Stranger in His Grave
11. Invitation to Murder
12. Shake Hands With the Man on the Moon
13. The Cop on the Cover
14. The Ninth Step
15. Head to Head
16. My Friend, the Enemy
17. You Don’t See Many Pirates These Days
18. When Does a War End?
19. The Silk Trap
20. Deadly Doubles
21. A Short Walk on the Longshore
22. The Big Aloha
23. The Descent of the Torches
24. Tread the King’s Shadow (worst episode of the season by far and one of the worst of the entire series!! Avoid at all cost - may be hazardous to your health!!)

Honestly outside of the top 5 or 6 on my list, the remaining episodes all just blend into each other so it's not even easy to rank them. None of them are particularly bad (outside of the last 2 or 3) but none are standouts either. It's quite a departure from past seasons where an episode could be at #17 or #18 and still be a VERY good episode. How did this season play out for you?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1297 Post by T.Q. »

Season 10.

Top 10.

1. Frozen Assets
2. A Death in the Family
3. Invitation to Murder
4. Tsunami
5. Tall on the Wave
6. The Friends of Joey Kalima
7. Deep Cover
8. The Cop on the Cover
9. The Ninth Step
10. Angel in Blue

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1298 Post by T.Q. »

Horoscope for Murder

Weird but alright I guess. I'm not too into astrology stories.

Was interesting though.

Mars to yer-anus. :lol:

Samantha Eggar plays a character very similar to Magnum P.I. Fragments. Creepy psychic type. Must have been type-casted from this episode.

The whodunit culminating into Mel being the one offing people with bad 'signs' (star alignment or whatever it was called) was unique.

MPI: Samantha Eggar, Kimo Kahoano, Bill Bigelow

Fleet Admiral

#1299 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:06 pm Season 10.

Top 10.

1. Frozen Assets
2. A Death in the Family
3. Invitation to Murder
4. Tsunami
5. Tall on the Wave
7. Deep Cover
8. The Cop on the Cover
9. The Ninth Step
10. Angel in Blue
Good list! No stinkers there.

Fleet Admiral

#1300 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:53 pm The Sleeper

A so-so episode to start Season 11.

Some interesting things if you choose not to dissect the heck out of it.

We saw the hypnosis thing a while back already.

Kept me semi-interested. Wasn't great. Was okay.

I like Hotlip's Dad from MASH (Andrew Duggan).

Ornery old actor. :lol:

MPI: Wayne Oxford, Lani Kim, Don Pomes, Vic Leon
I feel like Mr. Mike is pretty hard on this one but I think it's pretty good, especially for a season 11 episode. He says the title is very appropriate because it's sleep-inducing but there are other episodes that are MUCH more sleep-inducing than this one. I really like the "Manchurian Candidate" storyline here, with Sonya Hanson being the killer while being totally unaware of this. The ring of the telephone being her trigger and McG cluing in on this was cool! Nice reveal at the end as to who her control was. Of course there's the obligatory scene where she chases down the poor guy in her Mercedes in the parking garage and all he has to do is duck to the side but instead he presses against the wall in horror as he awaits his death. :roll:

Fleet Admiral

#1301 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:14 pm Horoscope for Murder

Weird but alright I guess. I'm not too into astrology stories.

Was interesting though.

Mars to yer-anus. :lol:

Samantha Eggar plays a character very similar to Magnum P.I. Fragments. Creepy psychic type. Must have been type-casted from this episode.

The whodunit culminating into Mel being the one offing people with bad 'signs' (star alignment or whatever it was called) was unique.

MPI: Samantha Eggar, Kimo Kahoano, Bill Bigelow
Don't care for this one. Not into astrology and the Samantha Eggar character is too annoying and flaky. Her "lazy eye" look is a bit distracting too. :? There's a sort-of follow-up to this episode in season 12 (even worse!) with another flaky astrologer lady (a friend of Eggar's) who annoys McG again. I guess you had to know that Tab Hunter would be revealed as the murderer since there was no other reason for him to be in this episode.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1302 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:52 pm

Top 10.

1. Frozen Assets
2. A Death in the Family
3. Invitation to Murder
4. Tsunami
5. Tall on the Wave
7. Deep Cover
8. The Cop on the Cover
9. The Ninth Step
10. Angel in Blue
Glad you approve.

Hope you and your family are doing okay.

Fleet Admiral

#1303 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:04 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:52 pm

Top 10.

1. Frozen Assets
2. A Death in the Family
3. Invitation to Murder
4. Tsunami
5. Tall on the Wave
7. Deep Cover
8. The Cop on the Cover
9. The Ninth Step
10. Angel in Blue
Glad you approve.

Hope you and your family are doing okay.
Thanks, T.Q. My family is okay (so far) but right now all of Ukraine is family. To see what's happening in the central and eastern parts (especially Mariupol) is absolutely heartbreaking. :cry: I try to stay busy with other things to get my mind off what's going on but it's difficult because that's the reality you just can't escape from. Things like this shouldn't be happening in the year 2022. I look at my little boy and think about all those children whose lives have been so tragically cut short and can't help but well up with tears. What did they do to deserve any of this?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1304 Post by T.Q. »

Was out for a few weeks with back problems.

Deadly Courier

MartinHafer loathes the episode.

I thought it was alright.

6/10

Another hypnosis type storyline though?

There were some okay things about it.

Having Danno about to kill McGarrett was fun.

MPI: Stephen Elliott, Irene Yah-Ling Sun, Winston Char, Patricia Herman,

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1305 Post by T.Q. »

The Case Against Philip Christie

The Boo-Birds on IMDb hated this one too.

I liked it.

I like courtroom stuff and thought McGarrett on jury duty would be cool.

The reviewers get so bogged down with this is too far fetched, McGarrett never would be chosen for jury duty, etc.

I try to take it as is.

I thought it was entertaining.

Doubt the judge would ever show up at the murder scene but l liked "Lt. Tanaka" being there at the end a la Magnum Tanaka.

MPI: Joe Moore, Kwan Hi Lim (as Judge Kwan Hi Lim which was cool), Madeline Press, Earl Kingston, Edward Sheehan, Fred Ball, Krash Kealoha