Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#106 Post by KENJI »

That is some mighty fine p.i. work Little Garwood!!!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#107 Post by rubber chicken »

Very interesting! Thanks for posting this. :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#108 Post by J.J. Walters »

Nice spot Little Gar!

Gillian Dubb! LOL! Gillian "Rub-A-Dub" Dubb! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#109 Post by Little Garwood »

Danno's Gone. Actor James MacArthur has died, age 72. Man, I'm really depressed about this. :cry:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap. ... e0-dies-ap

Actor James MacArthur from `Hawaii Five-0' dies (AP) LOS ANGELES - Stage and screen actor James MacArthur, who played "Danno" in the original version of television's "Hawaii Five-0," died Thursday at age 72.

MacArthur's agent, Richard Lewis, said the actor died in Florida of "natural causes," but no direct cause was specified.

In a career that spanned more than four decades, MacArthur was most recognized for his role as Detective Danny "Danno" Williams on "Hawaii Five-0," which aired from 1968 to 1980. Episodes often ended with detective Steve McGarrett, the lead character, uttering what became a pop culture catch phrase: "Book 'em, Danno."

Jack Lord, who starred as McGarrett, died in 1998.

MacArthur quit the role of McGarrett's sidekick a year before the program's final season.

"Quite frankly, I grew bored," he explained on his website. "The stories became more bland and predictable and presented less and less challenge to me as an actor."

"Hawaii Five-O," one of the longest running crime shows in TV history with 278 episodes, was shot on location in the Hawaiian islands. It was the first Hawaii-based national TV series.

The drama has been remade by CBS with a new cast this season.

MacArthur, born Dec. 8, 1937, seemed destined to become an actor. He was the adopted son of playwright Charles MacArthur and Helen Hayes, an award-winning actress often referred to as "First Lady of the American Theatre." Silent film star Lillian Gish was his godmother.

"They did teach me a lot about the theatre just through my life with them," he said of his parents in a 1957 interview in Teen Life magazine. "They never pushed me in any direction. Any major decision has always been my own to make."

James MacArthur made his stage debut at age 8 in a summer stock production of "The Corn is Green."

His breakout role was in the 1957 "Climax!" television series production of "The Young Stranger," in which he starred as the 17-year-old son of a movie executive who has a run-in with the law.

He entered Harvard that same year, but dropped out in his sophomore year to pursue an acting career.

As a young actor, MacArthur appeared in the Walt Disney movies "Kidnapped," "Third Man on the Mountain," "Swiss Family Robinson" and "The Light in the Forest."

He also had roles in "The Interns, "Spencer's Mountain," "Battle of the Bulge" and "Hang 'Em High," as well as many guest roles on TV series such as "Gunsmoke."

He performed in many stage plays, including the lead role of Hildy Johnson in a 1981 production of "The Front Page," which was co-written by his father in the late 1920s, at the Stanford Community Theatre in Palo Alto, Calif.

His live acting career won him the 1961 Theatre World Award for best new actor for his performance in "Invitation to a March."

MacArthur said that one of his favorite "Hawaii Five-O" episodes was a 1975 segment called "Retire in Sunny Hawaii Forever" because it marked one of the rare times that he worked on screen with his mother. Hayes played Danno's Aunt Clara, who visits Hawaii and helps the detectives solve a murder.

Asked by the Hawaii Star Bulletin newspaper in 2003 about his fondest memories about working on "Hawaii Five-O," MacArthur replied: "Living in Hawaii."
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#110 Post by KENJI »

That is real sad news!!!!!!!!!!

I hope the new 5-0 acknowledges his passing at the end of an upcoming episode.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#111 Post by J.J. Walters »

Little Garwood wrote:Danno's Gone. Actor James MacArthur has died, age 72. Man, I'm really depressed about this. Crying or Very sad

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap. ... e0-dies-ap
Sad news indeed! :(

RIP James MacArthur. Danno will live on in the hearts and minds of many, many people.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#112 Post by Little Garwood »

2010 has been a monumentally depressing year in terms of losing our TV heroes: Pernell Roberts, Peter Graves, Robert Culp, and now James MacArthur. Thank goodness we can always watch them in their prime in our cherished shows and movies.

~Tom Selleck

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#113 Post by J.J. Walters »

Seasons 1-9 Box Set is out. 55 discs for $199, or $22 a season. Tempting, very tempting. :)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... uecrimenet

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#114 Post by rubber chicken »

I saw that, and it did get me thinking. I'll probably buy the entire series at some point, but I think I'll wait until the whole series is out and being sold together. That's a lot of money to spend on dvds at one time though!

grundle
Admiral

#115 Post by grundle »

I own seasons 4 and 5. I may buy a few other seasons in the future. But I don't see any need to own all 12.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#116 Post by Little Garwood »

As promised, here are a couple of John Hillerman screencaps from his Hawaii Five-O appearance, "Man on Fire." It's one of the weaker episodes from the ninth season (1976-77). He gets one brief, not very well filmed scene with Jack Lord--it looks like the camerman is hiding behind a rack during JH and Jack Lord's conversation--and on top of that, Hillerman doesn't even get to frolic in the fun and sun of Hawaii! He's nowhere near the Estate, either.

Jon plays villain Donald Blair, the head of Unified Resources, LTD. Blair is producing nuclear warheads for eventual sale to various terrorist organizations. He gets one good qote: "Luck is a function of good systems analysis." John speaks in his normal voice.

We also get another MPI alumnus, Pat Hingle, who gets a few scenes with the future "El Higgo" and a bit of verbal sparring, as well. Hingle's Dr. Grant Ormsbee character is a great foil for McGarrett and the two always have amusing exchanges with one another. Here, Ormsbee considers this whole case to be "a matter better suited to the infantile trappings of a police mentality."

~Tom Selleck

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#117 Post by Sam »

Thanks for the caps LG,

I had to look it up on IMDB,I remember Hingles role as Grant Ormsbee but didn't recall Hillerman.Hingle appeared in 3 episodes of HFO as Grant Ormsbee.

I checked Hillermans credits today and it's funny how a lot of his character names fit him..

Victor Sutter
Fritz Monocle
McBurney
Sterling Murdock
Donald Blair
Nelson Bodine
Norman Thompson

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#118 Post by J.J. Walters »

Great screen shots Garwood, thanks! :)

grundle
Admiral

#119 Post by grundle »

CBS lets you watch episodes from the first two seasons online for free.

The last time I posted this link in another thread, they only had the first season. Perhaps they will eventually include more and more seasons as time goes on.

http://www.cbs.com/classics/hawaii_five ... 66685&cc=0

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#120 Post by Little Garwood »

On Amazon.com, the first four seasons of Hawaii Five-O often sell for $18.99 each. That's quite a bargain!

Five-O's tenth season arrives on DVD Dec 14, 2010!

~Tom Selleck