1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Raykv423
Captain

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#1816 Post by Raykv423 »

Pahonu wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:40 pm
Raykv423 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:00 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:32 pm I just watched two excellent late episodes, A Capitol Crime (clever name) and Up the Rebels.
Have yet to see Capitol Crime but I did saw Up The Rebels. Thought it’s a fine episode. didn’t see any problems with it.

It’s actually wild Up the Rebels was shot three weeks before a heart attack pretty much killed Stephen Boyd (who played Daniel Costigan in this episode) so it’s really surreal to see him so full of life in what would be his final moments alive recorded in film knowing he would die a short time later.
Wow! I saw that he had died young but didn’t realize this was his last performance. :(
Yeah, pretty sad.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#1817 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:32 pm I just watched two excellent late episodes, A Capitol Crime (clever name) and Up the Rebels.
"A Capitol Crime" is one of the best episodes of the series in my opinion and certainly my favorite from season 9! Barnard Hughes gives an Emmy worthy performance as the concerned senior citizen Clinton Palmer. The 2 baddies played by Dick Davalos and Sharon Farrell (playing a real nutcase) are excellent as well.

"Up the Rebels" used to be a middling episode for me but it has gotten better over the years and I would now place it in my top 5 for season 10. I think Stephen Boyd is excellent in the part of the Irish priest/terrorist and is actually the key to the episode's success. He really makes the episode work! He has a certain zeal which really shines and comes through strongly. Without him or with a lesser villain the episode would be pretty bland. Yes, this was the last thing Boyd ever filmed and collapsed shortly after while on a golf course. Boyd will forever be remembered by me as the villainous Messala in one of my favorite films BEN-HUR which also has what I consider to be the all-time greatest film score by Miklos Rozsa.

P.S. Frank Silvera was another actor who, like Boyd, filmed an episode of Five-O (season 3's "Paniolo" playing an aging Hawaiian rancher) and then died unexpectedly after being electrocuted while fixing a garbage disposal. Five-O was also the last thing he filmed.