Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#1456 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Guys,
I haven't seen the last 4 seasons of Hawaii 5-0 since they were on CBS. Rerun packages often had 7 seasons and then went back to season 1, at least where I lived.
And it's been 30 years since I saw those, though here and there a station - MeTV - ran the first 2 seasons then it was gone.

I was wondering, did the producers knock themselves out to make the final episode a special one?
And, who had the very last line of the series, was it something stylish, and what exactly was it?

I watch the series on MeTV Plus, currently up to season 5, and I only hope they go all the way through season 12.
I try not to read what you guys are currently putting here, because I don't want to ruin a future episode for myself.
Though I still come to this thread at times because you guys can get on a real good roll.

Thanks in advance for any help with my query.

Last line of the Combat! TV series:
"Yes, our life starts now, not after the war"
...Robert Duvall to Claudine Longet

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#1457 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:36 am Hi Guys,
I haven't seen the last 4 seasons of Hawaii 5-0 since they were on CBS. Rerun packages often had 7 seasons and then went back to season 1, at least where I lived.
And it's been 30 years since I saw those, though here and there a station - MeTV - ran the first 2 seasons then it was gone.

I was wondering, did the producers knock themselves out to make the final episode a special one?
And, who had the very last line of the series, was it something stylish, and what exactly was it?

I watch the series on MeTV Plus, currently up to season 5, and I only hope they go all the way through season 12.
I try not to read what you guys are currently putting here, because I don't want to ruin a future episode for myself.
Though I still come to this thread at times because you guys can get on a real good roll.

Well, T.Q. is currently finishing up the series. He's rolling through season 12. A few more episodes and he'll be at the finale. So I don't want to give anything away before he gets a chance to see it. Won't give my thoughts on it until then. It's not so much the final line as the final freeze-frame that's pretty cool. Maybe T.Q. will post it for you when he gets to it. :)

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1458 Post by Pahonu »

I don’t want to ruin anything either, but the finale does feature Pahonu prominently in the story. When I first saw it in an early 80’s rerun, it was the first time I recognized the estate in another series. It was very strange, because one, MPI was on the air, and two, they used the actual interiors which are nothing like the sets from MPI. It was my first real understanding about how Hollywood uses different exteriors and interiors for the same scene. I was in middle school I think.

I have a picture of the TV Guide promo ad for the finale if you want to see it. Let me know.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1459 Post by T.Q. »

Dang. We should have coordinated a watch. I’ve been a pretty predictable 3 episodes a week.
Mon, Wed, Fri.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1460 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:07 am
Well, T.Q. is currently finishing up the series. He's rolling through season 12. A few more episodes and he'll be at the finale. So I don't want to give anything away before he gets a chance to see it.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1461 Post by T.Q. »

Use a Gun, Go to Hell

Weak and overly preachy.

Didn't we already have a "pass the gun" episode.

I thought the acting was pretty poor too. Rolly was weird.

I like Andrew Duggan though.

MPI: Harry Chang, Damien Kaha'ulelio, Phil Sunada, Robert Silva

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1462 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:17 am
I don’t want to ruin anything either, but the finale does feature Pahonu prominently in the story. When I first saw it in an early 80’s rerun, it was the first time I recognized the estate in another series. It was very strange, because one, MPI was on the air, and two, they used the actual interiors which are nothing like the sets from MPI. It was my first real understanding about how Hollywood uses different exteriors and interiors for the same scene. I was in middle school I think.
I have a picture of the TV Guide promo ad for the finale if you want to see it. Let me know.
Ivan thank you for your response.
Pahonu, I like that they use Robins Nest in the final episode. Perhaps CBS being familiar with it was the reason they used it for Magnum? Do "we" know how it was chosen?
I am still waiting on Selleck's book for many answers, he must be using a chisel on stone like Fred Flintstone, it's taking so long.

And yes, I sure would like to see the TV Guide promo ad for the finale, please. Mahalo pal.

Pahonu

#1463 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:55 am
Pahonu wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:17 am
Ivan thank you for your response.
Pahonu, I like that they use Robins Nest in the final episode. Perhaps CBS being familiar with it was the reason they used it for Magnum? Do "we" know how it was chosen?
I am still waiting on Selleck's book for many answers, he must be using a chisel on stone like Fred Flintstone, it's taking so long.

And yes, I sure would like to see the TV Guide promo ad for the finale, please. Mahalo pal.
I have no information about why Pahonu was chosen, other than it was familiar and used regularly.

Here’s the promo:

https://ibb.co/NpBWt5K

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1464 Post by T.Q. »

Not skipping ahead but planning on watching this when I'm done.

Why was it never aired on TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq5Z5FScmTc

They made it but never aired it? Is that correct?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#1465 Post by Sam »

T.Q. wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:26 pm Not skipping ahead but planning on watching this when I'm done.

Hi T.Q.
Romer worked on the 97 pilot and didn't have much good to say about it.

With 5-0, the only original cast member involved was James McArthur. Ever young at heart, he looked more like Albert Einstein with a mop of gray hair than the clean-cut, subservient Danno of the original series. One version of the MANY scripts we went through had McGarret in his deathbed filmed from the rear, passing the torch to Gary Busey and Russel Wong. (sniff) Originally the police office sets were going to be super-modern, futuristic on a high floor of the recently created First Hawaiian Bank tower downtown. When they finally found a director for the pilot, they decided ultimately on a more retro look built inside the old post office building--ironically across the street from the now revered Iolani Palace which was just another public building when it was the TV home of the fictional 5-0 state police. After that it was just another cops and robbers show that was so bad (mainly because of you-know-who) that it never aired at all.

http://magnumdecorator.blogspot.com/200 ... s.html?m=1

Pahonu

#1466 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:26 pm Not skipping ahead but planning on watching this when I'm done.

I saw it many years ago online and understand completely why it wasn’t picked up by any networks. It’s not good, to say the least. This was a time when original programming by non-networks was still quite rare. It died the death of many failed pilots over the decades.

Fleet Admiral

#1467 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:05 pm Use a Gun, Go to Hell

Weak and overly preachy.

Didn't we already have a "pass the gun" episode.

I thought the acting was pretty poor too. Rolly was weird.

I like Andrew Duggan though.

MPI: Harry Chang, Damien Kaha'ulelio, Phil Sunada, Robert Silva
I guess we were bound to diverge sooner or later, eh? :wink: I guess I like this one more than you. In fact I'd place it in the top 5 for the season (not saying much, I know). Yes we already had a similar premise back in season 7 ("Diary of a Gun") so this one is sort of a rehash. I seem to recall that you liked the earlier episode. But not this one? To me they're too similar for me to like one and not the other. So I like them both about the same. Mind you, neither is a classic in my book. Far from it. Also, I suppose it helps that I saw this episode first and then some years later "Diary of a Gun". So when I saw "Diary" I remember immediately flashing mentally to this episode. Yeah I agree that Rolly and Tanami and their horsing around was silly (Tanami gets shot as a result) but I always remember the scene where Rolly shoots his girlfriend when she walks into the apartment (he thought she was a cop) as well as the scene where the little boy shoots his little sister as they play cops-and-robbers. I always cringe during that scene - small child getting shot is tough to watch. I like the gun eventually getting traced to the senator (Andrew Duggan) and his son. For season 12 I think overall this was a good one. Of course McG lays it on pretty thick at the end about Americans and their love affair with guns. But that's par for the course in an episode like this, and especially for season 12 where McG does nothing but preach.

The score was by Bruce Broughton and he basically just reused his score from "Though the Heavens Fall".

Actually STREETS OF SAN FRAN also had a similar themed episode about the bloody trail that a single gun causes. It was called "The Twenty Five Caliber Plague". Any story or topic that FIVE-O tackled you can bet other shows of the time tackled as well.

Fleet Admiral

#1468 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Someone recently posted this link over on Mr. Mike's Five-O discussion forum and I saw maybe the first 5 minutes but just didn't have time (nor the interest) to watch the whole thing. Maybe some day I will.

There was also something called "M Station Hawaii" that was filmed but don't think it ever aired. That was right after Five-O wrapped in 1980. Jack Lord was in it. I think it too was to be some kind of spin off and McGarrett (now a Navy Commander or something) I think was meant to pop up every now and then. I don't think Jack wanted to do another series so he was definitely not going to be a regular. At that point he was ready for retirement. But it never aired. I think there's some shoddy copy on YouTube and I watched a few minutes before giving up on it.

Pahonu

#1469 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:31 am

Someone recently posted this link over on Mr. Mike's Five-O discussion forum and I saw maybe the first 5 minutes but just didn't have time (nor the interest) to watch the whole thing. Maybe some day I will.

There was also something called "M Station Hawaii" that was filmed but don't think it ever aired. That was right after Five-O wrapped in 1980. Jack Lord was in it. I think it too was to be some kind of spin off and McGarrett (now a Navy Commander or something) I think was meant to pop up every now and then. I don't think Jack wanted to do another series so he was definitely not going to be a regular. At that point he was ready for retirement. But it never aired. I think there's some shoddy copy on YouTube and I watched a few minutes before giving up on it.
The pilot did air but was not picked up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ERRruCuj0 ... YQ&index=2

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#1470 Post by Sam »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:03 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:31 am

The pilot did air but was not picked up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ERRruCuj0 ... YQ&index=2
👍👍👍🤙🤙🤙

https://www.rememberingjacklord.com/m-s ... a%20series.