Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Sam
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#1351 Post by Sam »

Back story on Fred..

No doubt his Ferrari-collecting hobby was due to Piluso’s long association with Tom Selleck and the cast of “Magnum PI,” which used Scruples as its off-hours hangout.

https://c8dence.com/articles/super-rod

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#1352 Post by Sam »

Manetti at Scruples...

http://archives.starbulletin.com/1999/0 ... index.html

This was a mess..I'll clean it up tomorrow..I kept losing internet..

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1353 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Sam wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:08 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:45 am
Sam wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:14 am Hi T.Q.

Here is a video from The Cellar/Captain Nemo's/Sally's..
Not much to see after the 3:30 mark..It does verify the location..Crazy crazy...Braddah Kimo appears at the 2:12 and 2:23 mark...Some of the old timers will remember him..

https://youtu.be/8Hwi93Y5Hxs
Braddah Kimo the legend, so that's what he looks like. I had always envisioned him as a gone to seed Pugsley Addams, living in his parents basement.
He just looks like some average person. So why did he pretend to be some kine Hawaiian "radical"? Did you hang out with him at The Cellar, or was he some well known
local figure?
Hi Luther..
Bruddah Kimo was on a Google MPI forum prior to posting here...At onetime he worked for TikiTv as a reporter out and about recording local events..He also owned a tiki store in Socal.He posted to YouTube as kimonui.
https://youtu.be/yRNE2HrvuTg
Hi Sam and Pahonu,
Thank you for the background on Kimo. In the parrot video he does seems like a decent and nice guy. And I understand people can get carried away by their passions and do foolish things but I can't
imagine ever commenting on some issue in Jersey as a Lenape, Hackensack or Delaware Indian.

Now for something completely different:
At the start of the Hawaiian Eye episode "Secret of the Second Door", there is a shot of a seedy corner dinner joint on Hotel Street late at night.
 A large neon sign proclaims it is "Wo Fat Chop Sui".
 I seem to recall it appeared on a Hawaii 5-0 and  Magnum PI as well.
Does anyone know if this was some sort of landmark joint so well known over the decades that the Hawaii 5-0 people co-opted it's name for McGarret's evil nemesis from Red China?
Good thing the writers didn't spot a White Castle first. 
If not from this restaurant, does anyone know where the name Wo Fat came from?
I have in the past bought milk from Wo Fat's brother, Low Fat.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1354 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:33 am
Sam wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:08 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:45 am
Sam wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:14 am Hi T.Q.

Here is a video from The Cellar/Captain Nemo's/Sally's..
Not much to see after the 3:30 mark..It does verify the location..Crazy crazy...Braddah Kimo appears at the 2:12 and 2:23 mark...Some of the old timers will remember him..

https://youtu.be/8Hwi93Y5Hxs
Braddah Kimo the legend, so that's what he looks like. I had always envisioned him as a gone to seed Pugsley Addams, living in his parents basement.
He just looks like some average person. So why did he pretend to be some kine Hawaiian "radical"? Did you hang out with him at The Cellar, or was he some well known
local figure?
Hi Luther..
Bruddah Kimo was on a Google MPI forum prior to posting here...At onetime he worked for TikiTv as a reporter out and about recording local events..He also owned a tiki store in Socal.He posted to YouTube as kimonui.
https://youtu.be/yRNE2HrvuTg
Hi Sam and Pahonu,
Thank you for the background on Kimo. In the parrot video he does seems like a decent and nice guy. And I understand people can get carried away by their passions and do foolish things but I can't
imagine ever commenting on some issue in Jersey as a Lenape, Hackensack or Delaware Indian.

Now for something completely different:
At the start of the Hawaiian Eye episode "Secret of the Second Door", there is a shot of a seedy corner dinner joint on Hotel Street late at night.
Does anyone know if this was some sort of landmark joint so well known over the decades that the Hawaii 5-0 people co-opted it's name for McGarret's evil nemesis from Red China?
Yes, the restaurant Wo Fat Chop Sui was a place that 5-0 creator Leonard Freeman had eaten before, if I remember correctly. He liked the name and decided to use the “Wo Fat” part as the name for McGarrett’s red China nemesis.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1355 Post by T.Q. »

The Spirit Is Willie

Millicent Shand is back.

Not as good as the first one but was pretty good.

I'm not too into the psychic/medium/seance stories but this came together well and I loved McGarrett appearing in "spirit form" as the climax.

Mildred Natwick did a good job as did Robert Vaughn.

7/10

MPI: Mildred Natwick, Edward Sheehan, Fred Ball
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#1356 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:35 pm The Meighan Conspiracy

I liked this one.

Bit lighter episode with the music reflecting that.

Mr. Brady (Robert Reed) did a good job.

I like the 'battle of wits' episodes.

Arrogant criminal thinking they're so smart and McGarrett just a 'pussycat'. Always their downfall. :lol:

MPI: Bill Ogilvie
Yep, this is one of the better episodes of the season. A lighter and more tongue-in-cheek "try and catch me" type of episode. The score by John Cacavas is noteworthy for a change - a nice playful type of score that suits this type of episode and reminds you of past light-hearted scores for the Filer (Hume Cronyn) episodes. Robert Reed was good in this episode who's appropriately arrogant/smug and thinks he's smarter than McG. Barbara Anderson (of IRONSIDE fame) plays his wife. Of course the whole elaborate tunnel and secret passages that he had built in all of his banks is a bit far-fetched but it's all good fun so I just roll with it.

Fleet Admiral

#1357 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:58 pm The Spirit Is Willie

Millicent Shand is back.

Not as good as the first one but was pretty good.

I'm not too into the psychic/medium/seance stories but this came together well and I loved McGarrett appearing in "spirit form" as the climax.

Mildred Natwick did a good job as did Robert Vaughn.

7/10

MPI: Mildred Natwick, Edward Sheehan, Fred Ball
Yes! Another Miss Marple... ahem... Miss Shand episode. :) You say this one was not as good as the first one but I always thought this was the better of the two. But that's probably because I saw this one first and then I saw "Frozen Assets" a few years later. I'm typically not into psychic/seance stories either but for whatever reason I always liked this one. Robert Vaughn is always good when playing these smooth and shady types. The whole episode felt more like a COLUMBO (in which Vaughn appeared as the baddie twice!) than a Five-O. Which I don't mind from time to time. Miss Shand is basically the nosy/bumbling Columbo type here. Vaughn's scheme of having these people killed and then bringing them back as "spirits" during his seances was interesting. Again, the whole seance scheme is pretty far-fetched but if you just go with it you'll have fun.

See? Even season 11 of Five-O is still quite watchable. :) It's not what it used to be but it ain't nearly as bad as many claim.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1358 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:29 am Hi Sam and Pahonu,
Yes, the restaurant Wo Fat Chop Sui was a place that 5-0 creator Leonard Freeman had eaten before, if I remember correctly. He liked the name and decided to use the “Wo Fat” part as the name for McGarrett’s red China nemesis.
[/quote]

Hi MaiTaiMan,
Thank you for the information. If Wo Fat's is still there I'd love to drop in for dinner some day, grab a business card or a menu.
By the way, Lee Ho Fook's restaurant in Warren Zevon's song "Werewolves of London" is a real place, I've been there, though
just by happenchance.

Another question: In the Hawaii 5-0 episode 16, season 4, "The Ninety-Second War", the Steve McGarrett look alike double agent(played by Jack Lord) has a clearly
dubbed voice in his dying scene at episode's end. I would bet money the voice belongs to Orson Welles, it sure isn't Jack Lord's.
At the time Welles would have sold Girl Scout cookies door to door to raise money to finance his independent films. I have no doubt that was the number one reason
he voiced Robin Masters.
Does anyone know if the dubbed voice is indeed Welles?
One might wonder why the producers would bother getting Welles to do it but the man was a legend, a genius, and having him participate in their series would be a kick.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1359 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:51 am
Hi MaiTaiMan,
Thank you for the information. If Wo Fat's is still there I'd love to drop in for dinner some day, grab a business card or a menu.
By the way, Lee Ho Fook's restaurant in Warren Zevon's song "Werewolves of London" is a real place, I've been there, though
just by happenchance.

Another question: In the Hawaii 5-0 episode 16, season 4, "The Ninety-Second War", the Steve McGarrett look alike double agent(played by Jack Lord) has a clearly
dubbed voice in his dying scene at episode's end. I would bet money the voice belongs to Orson Welles, it sure isn't Jack Lord's.
At the time Welles would have sold Girl Scout cookies door to door to raise money to finance his independent films. I have no doubt that was the number one reason
he voiced Robin Masters.
One might wonder why the producers would bother getting Welles to do it but the man was a legend, a genius, and having him participate in their series would be a kick.
[/quote]

The last I heard Wo Fat Chop Sui was still in business...but that was several years ago. I’d like to think it’s still there, but I’ll have to Google it. As for who was the dubbed voice for the “bad” McGarrett look-alike...I don’t know? It’d be interesting if it was Orson Welles, but I had not heard that. I’ll have to look that up, too. :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Fleet Admiral

#1360 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:51 am
Hi MaiTaiMan,
just by happenchance.

he voiced Robin Masters.
The dubbled voice was by Paul Frees, who also dubbed Jiro Tamiya just a few episodes earlier ("Odd Man In") which was the second Hume Cronyn/Filer episode.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1361 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:12 pm
he voiced Robin Masters.
[/quote]

The dubbled voice was by Paul Frees, who also dubbed Jiro Tamiya just a few episodes earlier ("Odd Man In") which was the second Hume Cronyn/Filer episode.
[/quote]

Thank you Ivan. Isn't Paul Free's voice the one we have all heard umpteen times dubbed into Japanese horror flicks?
Something about the tone, it's very distinctive.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1362 Post by T.Q. »

The Bark and the Bite

Described as "An intentionally silly episode" but didn't work for me.

Magnum had intentionally silly episodes that worked because the characters were written to have a silly side. H50 not so much.

It was just okay.

I liked the stealing of the fake gem and then the re-stealing of the real gem.

Although McGarrett getting in trouble was completely ridiculous the ending was cute.

"Book me Danno".

MPI: John Saxon, Kathy Paulo
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#1363 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:52 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:12 pm
he voiced Robin Masters.
[/quote]

Thank you Ivan. Isn't Paul Free's voice the one we have all heard umpteen times dubbed into Japanese horror flicks?
Something about the tone, it's very distinctive.
[/quote]
It's a slightly British voice I think. He voiced all those cartoon characters. Snidely Whiplash I think? Many others. Including K.A.R.R. in the KNIGHT RIDER episode "KITT vs KARR".

Fleet Admiral

#1364 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:28 pm The Bark and the Bite

Described as "An intentionally silly episode" but didn't work for me.

Magnum had intentionally silly episodes that worked because the characters were written to have a silly side. H50 not so much.

It was just okay.

I liked the stealing of the fake gem and then the re-stealing of the real gem.

Although McGarrett getting in trouble was completely ridiculous the ending was cute.

"Book me Danno".

MPI: John Saxon, Kathy Paulo
Yep I don't care about this "silly" episode either. It's a heist episode of sorts but we've had much better light-hearted heist capers in the past. This one is basically all about a silly mutt. I guess the best MPI comparison would be "The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii". Every show needs to have a dog of an episode I guess. :lol:

Like you, I did like the ending with "Book me, Danno" and the freeze frame on McG's big grin. :D A sight you sure didn't see too often.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1365 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I personally didn’t care for the dog, prison, or boxing episodes of shows...as it seemed all crime shows from the 70s-90s had to do those, and they were all the same & predictable. :roll: