T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#766 Post by T.Q. »

Noooo. Not No Bottles again. :lol:

Anybody Can Build a Bomb

Weak.

Didn't enjoy this one too much.

Maybe the glut of 'nuclear bomb' stories over the years.

Also thought it strange the bad guy was working right under McGarrett's nose. Right after The Finishing Touch.

I like Lew Ayres. Remember him from Battlestar Galactica.

And he was the poor senile Dad in The Curse of the King Kamahameha Club.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#767 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:21 pm Noooo. Not No Bottles again. :lol:

Anybody Can Build a Bomb

Weak.

Didn't enjoy this one too much.

Maybe the glut of 'nuclear bomb' stories over the years.

Also thought it strange the bad guy was working right under McGarrett's nose. Right after The Finishing Touch.

Always really liked this one, ever since my first viewing many moons ago! Loved the ticking clock scenario with the bomb hidden inside the iconic Aloha Tower (I was up there, you know :higgins:) and Lew Ayres played an interesting character whose intentions were noble but who unfortunately got himself entangled with some rather nasty people. The doomsday scenario added some real suspense, with the constant cutting to the ticking inside the Aloha Tower. I can't speak for the accuracy of the whole bomb plot from a scientific perspective but the episode kept me engaged. Loved the helicopter shots over Kapiolani Park. Also a very good score by Richard Shores! Oh, and did you know that the main bad guy with the mustache who calls himself "Mercury" is none other than director Allen Reisner who directed the classic "Hookman" and a score of other Five-O episodes (not this one)?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#768 Post by T.Q. »

Interesting.

Thanks for all the extra tidbits and trivia.

Aloha Tower.

Been to Honolulu probably 20 times in my life.

We (wifey and I) finally went up a few years ago.

Was fun.

Yes, I meant to mention the locations. Aloha Tower, Kapiolani Park, Kuhio.

I do watch for them.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#769 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Anybody Can Build a Bomb
T.Q.,
I always look forward to and appreciate your info packed posts but I think there is more than one classic movie fan - like me - who might have groaned at the above.
Lew starred in the immortal All Quiet on the Western Front and acted with Cagney, Jean Harlow and many others over a long career that included an Oscar nomination.
A conscientious objector in WW 2, he served as a combat medic for over 3 years in the Pacific, pulling strings to serve when he could have remained stateside.
Shows you what I know, I did't realize he was the "poor senile Dad in The Curse of the King Kamahameha Club".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They must never have tried out Old Dusseldorf:
"Frankly we find your American beer is a little like making love in a canoe - f-----g close to water."
The Bruces Sketch, Monty Python

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#770 Post by T.Q. »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:02 am T.Q.,
I always look forward to and appreciate your info packed posts but I think there is more than one classic movie fan - like me - who might have groaned at the above.
Lew starred in the immortal All Quiet on the Western Front and acted with Cagney, Jean Harlow and many others over a long career that included an Oscar nomination.
A conscientious objector in WW 2, he served as a combat medic for over 3 years in the Pacific, pulling strings to serve when he could have remained stateside.
Shows you what I know, I did't realize he was the "poor senile Dad in The Curse of the King Kamahameha Club".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Frankly we find your American beer is a little like making love in a canoe - f-----g close to water."
Haha.

Sorry about that. :oops:

I was never into old movies growing up.

Not even sure I’ve ever seen a James Cagney movie before. :|

I liked John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart and Humphrey Bogart. Beyond that my old movie knowledge is ridiculously light.

Fleet Admiral

#771 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:02 am

Anybody Can Build a Bomb
T.Q.,

Wasn't Ayres also in a series of DR. KILDARE movies (playing the title character)? I believe these movies inspired the 1960's TV series starring Richard Chamberlain.

Speaking of Cagney and Bogie, there's an excellent season 9 FIVE-O episode that homages these classic actors and the characters they played. Rich Little guest stars and he does an excellent job impersonating these characters (naturally!) as well as playing the main antagonist! Directed by none other than Jack Lord himself! It's one of my favorites. Be there, aloha!

jno
Captain

#772 Post by jno »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:39 pm
jno wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:31 am I recently invested in the entire series of original H-5O dvds but it'll probably take me a lifetime to get through 'em all.
281 episodes X 45 minutes = 12,645 minutes = 211 hours = 8.8 days.

It's a lot. :lol:

If you have a set schedule it goes pretty quickly.

For me, I watch 3 or 4 episodes a week while I do my weights Mon/Wed/Fri.

So it's in my brain.

Pick up the weights... Hawaii Five-0 episode.

If you tie it to something it's easier.
In my younger days I did this at the gym too, with the British series 'Public Eye' which couldn't be further from Hawaii Five-O or Magnum P.I if you tried.

https://youtu.be/GlMK4ERD6MU

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#773 Post by T.Q. »

Try to Die on Time

Oh, oh.

Wrath of Ivan???

Didn't like this one too much either.

Complicated, kinda hard to follow and actually kinda boring.

I like the office scene when they found the bug and where they played their roles.

5/10 :|

MPI: Louise Sorel, Danny Kamekona

Fleet Admiral

#774 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:33 pm Try to Die on Time

Oh, oh.

Wrath of Ivan???

I like the office scene when they found the bug and where they played their roles.

No wrath incurred here. :) It's definitely near the bottom of season 6. Truth be told, I actually like the concept here of people betting on the time when someone will die (as morbid as it sounds) but I just think the execution of it was way off. Needlessly convoluted and confusing. Last time I watched this one I kept thinking how much better this would have turned out if I was the writer of this episode. :lol: Seriously, it's an interesting concept which somehow gets squandered by murky and unclear storytelling. I like the early scenes up to the time when Harry Foxton (Jack Carter) expires and I like the scenes towards the end that you mentioned - the bugs in the office which lead to the van with all the surveillance equipment and the real culprit. But everything in the middle is... boring. Also I really like McGarrett's line at the end to McBain "I guess I'm a sloppy cop" for figuring things out differently than McBain anticipated. :lol:

Fleet Admiral

#775 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Oh, and backed by popular demand (I'm looking at you, T.Q. :shock:) I went ahead and posted my reviews on IMDB. At least for season 6, thus far. Enjoy! :D

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#776 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:42 pm Oh, and backed by popular demand (I'm looking at you, T.Q. :shock:) I went ahead and posted my reviews on IMDB. At least for season 6, thus far. Enjoy! :D
YAY.

Awesome.

There are a lot of episodes with only that one guy’s reviews (MartinHafer) so it’ll be cool with a second.

And you do such great write-ups.

I just read your Hookman review. Very good. :D

Fleet Admiral

#777 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:33 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:42 pm Oh, and backed by popular demand (I'm looking at you, T.Q. :shock:) I went ahead and posted my reviews on IMDB. At least for season 6, thus far. Enjoy! :D
YAY.

Awesome.

There are a lot of episodes with only that one guy’s reviews (MartinHafer) so it’ll be cool with a second.

And you do such great write-ups.

I just read your Hookman review. Very good. :D
When I was going through the episodes some years back, this MartinHafer guy (I think he went by the "planktonrules" name then) was the only reviewer on many of these episodes. He reviewed every single one of them. But now I see many more reviews on a lot of the episodes - just looking at season 6 alone.

And thanks! :D

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#778 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:36 pm
T.Q. wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:33 pm Try to Die on Time

Oh, oh.

Wrath of Ivan???

No wrath incurred here. :) It's definitely near the bottom of season 6. Truth be told, I actually like the concept here of people betting on the time when someone will die (as morbid as it sounds) but I just think the execution of it was way off. Needlessly convoluted and confusing. Last time I watched this one I kept thinking how much better this would have turned out if I was the writer of this episode. :lol: Seriously, it's an interesting concept which somehow gets squandered by murky and unclear storytelling. I like the early scenes up to the time when Harry Foxton (Jack Carter) expires and I like the scenes towards the end that you mentioned - the bugs in the office which lead to the van with all the surveillance equipment and the real culprit. But everything in the middle is... boring. Also I really like McGarrett's line at the end to McBain "I guess I'm a sloppy cop" for figuring things out differently than McBain anticipated. :lol:
I’m not a fan of this episode either but I remember specifically watching it with a college roommate back in the early 90’s. He brought up the idea of a viager because of the gambler’s plan. Viagers are a legitimate method of buying property in France, based on a wager of when the occupant will die. I think his father had told him about it and he explained it to me. Basically, you buy a property at reduced price from an elderly person and make either a lump sum payment or monthly payments. The catch is that you take possession of the property immediately and are responsible for maintaining it, but can’t move in until the person dies. The payment is actually called a “bouquet”. I had forgotten all about it until I read an article in The Economist about the rise in popularity of viagers during the pandemic. Morbid, yes, but not an unusual transaction at all in France. It’s a gamble but it provides the elderly person a sort of annuity or extra pension, and the buyer gets an eventual retirement property at significantly lower cost, that is unless…. There are some well known examples of the elderly person living far longer than the actuarial tables predicted, even longer than the purchaser. The most famous example is the longest surviving woman ever, Jeanne Calment. It’s a fascinating concept! Unlike the episode.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#779 Post by T.Q. »

2 episodes yesterday.

Enjoyed both.

The $100,000 Nickel

Fun episode.

The sleight of hand scene was great. Yep, the stocking would have got me too. :lol:

Chasing that dang nickel around was entertaining.

Arnie (Eugene Troobnick) did a fine job.

The Flip Side Is Death

I always like heist stories when done well.

Hiding the loot in the 8-track tapes. Good idea.

And all the betrayal between the crooks. Good stuff.

Turtle Bay? Think so. Enjoyed the filming location.

Don Stroud. An actor instantly recognizable. Of course, with my memory, no clue from where (in case it's famous movies don't get mad at me people). :lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#780 Post by T.Q. »

Just a funny note.

In one of the reviews of The Flip Side.
In keeping with the music theme it should be noted that this episode was directed by Paul Stanley. I wonder if he ever directed Jean Simmons in anything?
Last edited by T.Q. on Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.