Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#751 Post by T.Q. »

Flash of Color, Flash of Death

Another good one.

Don Knight does a great job.

He was the hit man in V, right?

Man, good season so far.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#752 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:18 pm
I never know if these things should be considered "spoiler-ish" or not. It's not like any of these characters have some kind of story arc or some dramatic exit that's best not to disclose. They just disappear. Like in most shows back in the day. Let me know and I'll keep my mouth shut in the future. :lol:

If this were the reboot there would be some surprise twist that Ben is really working for Wo Fat, who is the illegitimate son of the Governor, who is actually Danno's uncle that Danno never knew about, and Danno and Chin discover they are step brothers but McGarrett knew this all along but didn't tell them because of some nightmares that were plaguing him. Ben is discovered to be the mole but discloses that there's more... he and Wo Fat are lovers. Wo Fat is pissed and kills Ben.

Now, this I would definitely never ruin for you with spoilers. :P
Just saw this comment.

Not like he's integral or anything. They don't seem to give him much to do. No major role. I just like him and I don't like change.

Reminds me, I've kinda been waiting for a Ben centric episode. Does one come before he leaves? [spoiler alert]
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#753 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:03 am Flash of Color, Flash of Death

Another good one.

Don Knight does a great job.

He was the hit man in V, right?

Man, good season so far.
Another one that I thought was just okay on first watch. But it gets better on repeat viewings. Don Knight (yes, the hitman from V) is really the main draw here. He plays the desperate Aussie so well - his obsession with his bloody opals leading to multiple murders, just like the IRS agent Cavell in "Murder is a Taxing Affair". Two desperate men trying to track down something that they feel is rightfully theirs. Love Knight's accent and he has some great lines. He always calls everybody "luv" and it's not just in this episode. It's the Don Knight trademark! :D Funny when he tells the guy in the parking garage to hide him in his car because his "old lady is outside ready to clobber" him. LOL! :lol:

I really, really like the next one... so be extra careful. :wink:

Fleet Admiral

#754 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:17 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:18 pm
I never know if these things should be considered "spoiler-ish" or not. It's not like any of these characters have some kind of story arc or some dramatic exit that's best not to disclose. They just disappear. Like in most shows back in the day. Let me know and I'll keep my mouth shut in the future. :lol:

If this were the reboot there would be some surprise twist that Ben is really working for Wo Fat, who is the illegitimate son of the Governor, who is actually Danno's uncle that Danno never knew about, and Danno and Chin discover they are step brothers but McGarrett knew this all along but didn't tell them because of some nightmares that were plaguing him. Ben is discovered to be the mole but discloses that there's more... he and Wo Fat are lovers. Wo Fat is pissed and kills Ben.

Now, this I would definitely never ruin for you with spoilers. :P
Just saw this comment.

Not like he's integral or anything. They don't seem to give him much to do. No major role. I just like him and I don't like change.

Reminds me, I've kinda been waiting for a Ben centric episode. Does one come before he leaves? [spoiler alert]
Yeah, I like Ben too. And Duke for that matter. But I like Kono more. Somehow he felt a bit more fleshed out, even if he wasn't. Maybe because he was just this big teddy bear. It was hard not to like him. Plus he did get kidnapped in that one memorable episode "The Ransom" causing McGarrett to go ballistic!

Nope, there's no Ben-centric episode. Even Duke got one (his very first at the start of season 5) but nothing for Ben.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#755 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:16 pm
Yeah, I like Ben too. And Duke for that matter. But I like Kono more. Somehow he felt a bit more fleshed out, even if he wasn't. Maybe because he was just this big teddy bear. It was hard not to like him. Plus he did get kidnapped in that one memorable episode "The Ransom" causing McGarrett to go ballistic!

Nope, there's no Ben-centric episode. Even Duke got one (his very first at the start of season 5) but nothing for Ben.
I don't get how I got so attached to Kono.

Also didn't really have a big big role or anything.

Something about him. Big cute Hawaiian dude.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#756 Post by T.Q. »

A Bullet for El Diablo

Pretty decent.

I like the switcheroo plots.

Scenes from Rita getting picked up at phonebooth to meeting "dad" to assassination to escape through pool were pretty good.

Liked McGarrett's reaction to the voice analysis.

Guest Star: A Martinez was so young.

jno
Captain

#757 Post by jno »

Great reviews on here, a great read! Love it.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#758 Post by T.Q. »

Yeah, I want Ivan to post his reviews on IMDb.

Hey Ivan, quick question been meaning to ask for a while.

The Hawaii Five-0 Intro is now playing first. Used to be opening scene then the Intro.

Was this the way originally? Or was it for the DVDs?

Weird question maybe... Just curious.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#759 Post by T.Q. »

The Finishing Touch

Another good one.

I love stories where the bad guy is working right under their noses.

And was Norman Cargill ever in this episode.

Interesting story. The scam and the forensics were good.

Yep, nailed him.

Book him. Murder 1.

Fleet Admiral

#760 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:27 pm A Bullet for El Diablo

Pretty decent.

I like the switcheroo plots.

Scenes from Rita getting picked up at phonebooth to meeting "dad" to assassination to escape through pool were pretty good.

Liked McGarrett's reaction to the voice analysis.

Guest Star: A Martinez was so young.
Yep, this is top 5 (maybe top 6) material for season 6 for me! Love the "doubles" plot and that whole stretch that you mention of evil Rita (pretending to be Maria) getting "rescued" and then taken to her father, whereupon she kills him, and then makes her escape (down the side of the Ilikai), and then Five-O discovering they've been had real good - just outstanding execution!! The standoff on the tower at the end with A. Martinez was excellent as well. Great episode!

Fleet Admiral

#761 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:39 pm Yeah, I want Ivan to post his reviews on IMDb.

Hey Ivan, quick question been meaning to ask for a while.

The Hawaii Five-0 Intro is now playing first. Used to be opening scene then the Intro.

Was this the way originally? Or was it for the DVDs?

Weird question maybe... Just curious.
:lol: LOL, yeah T.Q. has been bugging me to put it on IMDb. Maybe if I started from the get-go but now we're like half way in. Plus I'm too lazy half the time to put these up for every single episode. Not sure if I even remember my password over there. Will need to check.

Yep, starting with season 5 the intro started coming first, and then the story proper. Unlike the first 4 seasons where the story proper started with a teaser and then followed by the intro. There's another small tweak starting with season 9 but you'll see when you get there. Obviously I didn't watch any of these when they first ran in the 70s so I can only go by what I remember in reruns but that's how they were presented - the way you see it on the DVD. So it's a safe bet that's how it was originally shown as well. Actually every show I remember from the 60s started with a teaser and then the intro. And since Five-O debuted in 1968 it followed suit. But then in the 70s the format changed and most shows started with an intro and then the story proper. So Five-O followed suit as well. I always liked seeing the teaser first because it's a great way to hook you into the story, and then the intro.

Fleet Admiral

#762 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:05 pm The Finishing Touch

Another good one.

I love stories where the bad guy is working right under their noses.

And was Norman Cargill ever in this episode.

Interesting story. The scam and the forensics were good.

Yep, nailed him.

Book him. Murder 1.
Yep, here's another one that gets better on rewatches. Normally I'm not into "financial" episodes - stocks, bonds, certificates, etc. But unlike the previous ones that were either confusing or boring (Odd Lot Caper, Percentage) this one actually has a cool premise. You still have to follow the story pretty closely to keep up with the scam involving the certificates but Norman Cargill (first of two appearances by George Voskovec - one of the original 12 ANGRY MEN) is an interesting character. He's a rarity in that he's both sympathetic and despicable at the same time. You understand his plight but he resorts to murder. He not only kills a fellow forger but a completely innocent woman as well. As McGarrett tells him "Forgery is one thing but murder... murder??!!". No deals. Murder one. Two counts. Classic ending! McGarrett won't let a friendship stand in the way of justice. Right is right and wrong is wrong. No room for gray areas here.

This was the first music score by Bruce Broughton (who was Oscar nominated for SILVERADO and scored a bunch of other movies too) and he composes a really cool lengthy track that plays for like 7 minutes or something while Cargill is forging those documents while being under surveillance. Broughton will do many more Five-O scores. My three favorites are Morton Stevens, Richard Shores, and Don Ray. But Broughton is up there too!

jno
Captain

#763 Post by jno »

I recently invested in the entire series of original H-5O dvds but it'll probably take me a lifetime to get through 'em all.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#764 Post by T.Q. »

jno wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:31 am I recently invested in the entire series of original H-5O dvds but it'll probably take me a lifetime to get through 'em all.
281 episodes X 45 minutes = 12,645 minutes = 211 hours = 8.8 days.

It's a lot. :lol:

If you have a set schedule it goes pretty quickly.

For me, I watch 3 or 4 episodes a week while I do my weights Mon/Wed/Fri.

So it's in my brain.

Pick up the weights... Hawaii Five-0 episode.

If you tie it to something it's easier.

Fleet Admiral

#765 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:39 pm
jno wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:31 am I recently invested in the entire series of original H-5O dvds but it'll probably take me a lifetime to get through 'em all.
281 episodes X 45 minutes = 12,645 minutes = 211 hours = 8.8 days.

It's a lot. :lol:

If you have a set schedule it goes pretty quickly.

For me, I watch 3 or 4 episodes a week while I do my weights Mon/Wed/Fri.

So it's in my brain.

Pick up the weights... Hawaii Five-0 episode.

If you tie it to something it's easier.
Yep, T.Q. isn't even watching it every day and he's already half way through. He only started a few months ago. It's not really that overwhelming to go through 12 seasons.

Though I suspect T.Q. pays more attention to his weights than Five-O at times, as when he missed the awesomeness of "No Bottles... No Cans... No People". :wink: